Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

If this pays off, you will be my personal Khorne hero.

FMB

We´ll see how it will unfold. The real oddity is how it really never showed up on their Warscrolls I believe (recently deleted the first Warriors of Chaos Age of Sigmar Conversion PDF :( ) while others did have it from the start and it's quite logical aswell as a lot of Daemonic bonusses have been removed or incorporated into their Warscrolls, which from a design standpoint is completely cool but the Keyword in itself commonly appears when a rider is actually riding a Daemonic Mount.

Considering Seraphon are also largely Daemons, Verminlords are Daemons and the actual K'Daai Fireborn are Daemons next to what has been mentioned the Skullcrushers and Khorne Lord on Juggernaut are actually the odd ones out, in the complete line of the game :) .

There is another example of this in the former Cold One Riding Knights in Dark Elves however their mounts (despite being the same in Warhammer Fantasy) have been called differently now. Saurus' ride Cold Ones, Dark Aelfs ride Drakespawn. 

In any case, we'll see where it leads!

Has anyone given a 30 blob of bloodwarriors a try? Could a list like this be competitively viable?

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne  
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer  
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune  
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 3x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Bloodforged (140)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 160 / 400

Also Gorefists seem like the best choice when running a Bloodforged but I'm new to mortals. Am I right or not seeing something?

5 hours ago, Tubs said:

Has anyone given a 30 blob of bloodwarriors a try? Could a list like this be competitively viable?

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne  
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer  
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune  
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 3x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Bloodforged (140)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 160 / 400

Also Gorefists seem like the best choice when running a Bloodforged but I'm new to mortals. Am I right or not seeing something?

The basis of my 2k list is running a blob of 30 bloodwarriors and gore pilgrims, giving them +3 to save from the priests so their saving on 2's, ignoring rend 1 and dishing back mortal wounds whenever they make an armor save.  Pretty well impossible to shift off of an objective

10 hours ago, Heroflegend21 said:

@killax alright I created two more lists and took the advice of trying to stay away from multiple Battalions check these out and tell me what you think and if they can be run in a competitive environment! Thanks!

Love the Bloodforged list you present there. As th grand ammount of units is affected by it and it really means a lot for Blood Warriors in particular. In addition you have some fat in the form of Bloodreavers and a good flanking piece with the Skullcrushers. All of this should add up to something wonderful. In addition ignoring Rend up to -2 means a lot for Blood Warriors. Infectious Bloodletting really is the key reason to go for this Battlion and with 30 Blood Warriors you hit that sweet spot where it's everywhere :) 

Then the Murderhost list looks very tough aswell! Didn't expect Skarbrand to show up here but I do think it's a very interesting alternative. The only thing I can say about the Murderhost is that it obviously gets better with more Bloodletters :P I would however drop the Bloodcrushers. They are fast in this list but lack the punch you'd expect from 160 points of guys.

8 hours ago, Tubs said:

I havn't but only because I don't have that many Blood Warriors yet :) . As above I think the list can work. One of the hallmarks of Bloodforged is that you essentially turn Blood Warriors into sub-Wrathmongers. This works when they are around a lot of elites, it's less good if their fighting against chaff...
My first question would be: What is the Chaos Sorcerer doing in there? ;) 

Next to that, I think this list will work out. Gorefirsts however arn't in particular better with Bloodforged. what you have to keep in mind here is that it "triggers" on a 6 after you've made your save roll. So while increasing your saves will indeed make it more of a factor you're still working with a 1 in 6 chance. Though if your opponent has Mortal Wounds or Rend -2 or -3 it still doesn't matter. 

Personally and from a hobby standpoint I would still give them double Goreaxes if you can. Re-rolling 1's to hit is always relevant, it's relevant with No Respite, when they are attacking and when they are attacking twice thanks to Blood Tithe for example.

With tons of inspiration thanks to many of your new lists I'm even working on some conversion plans... With some converted Warscrolls...

Will give you insight on the model as soon as I've figured out the look. Meanwhile you can guess where the Warscroll is based upon ;) 

I think a Gorecleaver and Slaughterborn could be a very cool set of Artefact and Command Trait.

Khorne_Lord_on_Maulerfiend_mockup.jpg

mockup.jpg

7 hours ago, jazman84 said:

Just a question regarding Gore-drenched Icon and Skarr Bloodwrath's; The Slaughterborn.

When bringing these models onto the battlefield, do I require reinforcement points?

Gore-drenched, no.

Skarr, yes.

On page 77. are the rules for reinforcement points. In short, reinforcement is checked per unit not per model. Skarr is actually the first example on that page. (there are a few exceptions in which the wording more or less states that no points are needed, off the top of my head hellpit abomination, because it's technically not slain)

11 hours ago, Tubs said:

That would be a super dope conversion if someone had the skills to pull it off

Will be going for it in the future. I think the Maulerfiend from the 40K range looks akin enough to a Juggernaut to have it as a nice Manticore substitute in addition it's form is quite gorrila-like, in a way a mix of Juggernaut and Scyla but upscaled.

One of the things we havn't covered nearly enough in this Let's chat is the drastical updates to Slaves to Darkness, especially generals on Manticore's, Knights, the Chariots and Marauder Horsemen. While in my opinion a ton of power has been gained for them as they are all really sharply priced. Especially in the cavalry department. To the point where the third offspring of Khorne armies can really include a lot of these choices. They all are fantastic support pieces, keeping our flanks untouched or give us the speed required in the later turns to ensure Objective capturement. 

8 hours ago, Roark said:

Hey Killax, I know several people who will cry if you get "Daemon" added to Juggernaut units haha... Keep up the good work! 

I'd love to be able to take the Crimson Crown on a Juggerlord. 

We'll see! I think that one of the cases to make it a very valid question is the way other 'Knights of Daemonic Mounts' have been getting the Keyword. In many ways it's amazing to see how correct Seraphon for example is made up, how Tzeentch does have several Mortal Daemon Warscrolls and how the question indirectly boils down to the Juggernaut not being a Daemon anymore. The latter could be case.

I think that in terms of Artefacts and Command Traits it would put the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut more on the picture for sure!
Though the prime reason as to why I hope it will occur is not that, the prime reason really is that odd substitutes then have to be used less (such as Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount of Khorne having the acces aswell) because logical Keyword design becomes more consistant.

A case for both Valkia and Skarr remains to be there, again though I do feel they come with their own interesting set of rules who keep them viable enough. Especially 'just 1' Skarr seems like a very worthy 80 point investment if you bubblewrap&deliver it. For Valkia I could defend her 120 point cost in the past, now less so at 140 because she's competing with more and more models again. She is a great assassin still, maby the designers wouldn't want Khorne to have too much of that, which from a cost design perspective I understand. Afterall Khorne cares not.

I played a Manticore Lord last weekend as part of a mini Path to Glory, and he was very situational. I went full offensive (sword, lance, Slaughterborn, Gorecleaver) with no protection at all (eg: Berzerker Lord, runeshield, Crimson Plate).

We played Beast's Lair, and he wiped out the Beast with no need even for the Manticore. He was great on the charge against everything he faced. Getting bogged down and mobbed hurt a lot, but that's what happens when you've only got a 4+. Similarly, a Skryre shooting army put paid to him very quickly.

Not impressed by the 6" pile-in. Highly situational. Would much rather have the Nurgle ability obviously.

I think next time I'll go defensive loadout to see how he travels but, to be honest, I think I'll have to be so careful picking targets that I may as well  just go with a Daemon Prince or Valkia... We'll see.

I think a Sorcerer Lord ally hanging out in my half of the table (for the Manticore rerolls) may actually be a better use for cheaper points. That spell is pretty decent. If you get lucky, it can be devastating.

So, had an interesting game last night.  I ran DP, BSEc, Bstok, 30 Bloodletters, 10 BWarriors, 2x3 Bloodcrushers, 2x Skullcannons (pretty much a "let's try demon stuff for a change" list) against a Mournfang, 2x VampLord, Necromancer, 3x3 Hosts (I think?) 10x Ghost Knights (Whatever they're actually called).  Oh, and a Balewind.

Odd game.  We used the cards, ended up with a scenario where 2 objectives were in the middle, one on his side (I wanted to make him come fight for the middle), there was a -1 to shoot for most of the game (which, along with the debuff, made my cannons pretty useless), and we deployed within inches of each other.  I won, partly playing smart, partly dumb luck, but it could have gone the other way, ugly, quite easily.

Mournfangs are a pain.  He could get it to a 2+/4+ save easily, and it ignores rend.  If you don't kill it in one turn, it heals on its turn by killing models, rapidly (both the killing and the healing).  The real problem is it imposes a -1 to hit bubble for a fairly large space around it.  That, plus most of his army being immune to rend, posed some problems.  It was the first time I'd used Bloodletters, they were terrific, and did serious work until he ground them down to below 20 (at which point they couldn't generate MW any more due to the-1 to hit).  I mostly bogged down the Mournfang by feeding it Bloodcrushers and skullcannons, while the 'letters killed the rest of his army.  The 'crushers were better than I'd expected, given the rep.  Not huge killing machines, but durable, and battleshock isn't an issue.  Good for speedbumps.

Balewind was a pain - and this was in a list with no summoning.  He used it for most of the game to lock down and objective, but moved it as needed to get casting bonuses.  I need to find a way to deal with it.  Anyone got any ideas?  Besides allies?

FMB

4 minutes ago, Roark said:

We played Beast's Lair, and he wiped out the Beast with no need even for the Manticore. He was great on the charge against everything he faced. Getting bogged down and mobbed hurt a lot, but that's what happens when you've only got a 4+. Similarly, a Skryre shooting army put paid to him very quickly.

Fairly close to my own impressions from preliminary play.  Where he seems to excel is clearing mobs of cheap stuff, and because he flies, that makes him good for objective grabbing where people bubblewrap the objective.  Also kind of fun to dump him in the opposing backline and watch them panic.

FMB

8 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Balewind was a pain - and this was in a list with no summoning.  He used it for most of the game to lock down and objective, but moved it as needed to get casting bonuses.  I need to find a way to deal with it.  Anyone got any ideas?  Besides allies?

Blood Boil I guess. Have we established whether Blood Bind works, or do the Balewind's rules override it?

23 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Soul Grinder. 

I have been running one in a few games recently (mostly as I dont have other units painted). Its been great for sniping out buffing characters, and then using its close combat weapons on large mobs.  

Well I finally had a few days off work, and was able to get up to my local city for a day of gaming. I got to play a game of Shadespire, and two games of AOS with my Khornate Army.

The Shadespire game was fun, loved the new reaver models cannot wait to get my hands on them.

The first Game of AOS I played was a 750 game against a Disiples of Tzeentch deamon army. This game was brutal, I was able to open up an early lead by securing objectives, but in the hero phases he just ripped me to bits. By turn two I was able to get into close combat and I did some damage, but not enough. At this size game destiny dice are very broken. He basically was immune to battleshock (and his horrors would respawn), and I could never stop his larger spells.  Despite this by focusing on securing objectives I went into the final round in the lead and if I had one priority he wouldn’t have been able to catch me, sadly I lost priority.

20171012_145424.jpg.d20496cfc717939399591f023388681f.jpg

The second game was a 1500pt game against Ironjawz. Again I gained an early lead by securing objectives, but in this game the armies were better matched and as the Ironjaws like getting into a good brawl as much as chaos does, so I lost a lot of units but this just let me use the blood tithe points to activate blood rain a few times which kept my hearos and Soul Grinder alive.

My big mistake in this game was that I left the rear of my army open and using a relm gate a unit of ardboys were able to get behind my lines and kill my Blood Secrator in turn 1. This then started a large melee on my back objective.

Thanks to my heroes regenerating, and my soul grinder picking off the wizards I was able to keep a sold lead on points which stopped him consolidating his forces so I was able to pick off them one at a time as soon as my Daemon prince got behind his line and started picking off support units  ..

20171012_193426.jpg.d8a0dab5af82a49bc9461aba2ad564c0.jpg20171012_193410.jpg.0121baefe991230edc21422482dc93be.jpg

On 13-10-2017 at 3:50 PM, Roark said:

I played a Manticore Lord last weekend as part of a mini Path to Glory, and he was very situational. I went full offensive (sword, lance, Slaughterborn, Gorecleaver) with no protection at all (eg: Berzerker Lord, runeshield, Crimson Plate).
Not impressed by the 6" pile-in. Highly situational. Would much rather have the Nurgle ability obviously. I think next time I'll go defensive loadout to see how he travels but, to be honest, I think I'll have to be so careful picking targets that I may as well  just go with a Daemon Prince or Valkia... We'll see.

Sad to hear the Manticore story like that! Though I think it makes sence to go that route and in the end 12 wounds with a 4+ save arn't terribly hard to remove. Then when we consider that for a mere 10 points extra we get a compairable load out for a Bloodthirster with 14 wounds things are easy to count up.
That same Bloodthirster has a 6"pile-in aswell but at least it also grants it to nearby others ;) . I do hear you in regards to having smaller targets.

On 13-10-2017 at 3:54 PM, Fireymonkeyboy said:

So, had an interesting game last night.  I ran DP, BSEc, Bstok, 30 Bloodletters, 10 BWarriors, 2x3 Bloodcrushers, 2x Skullcannons (pretty much a "let's try demon stuff for a change" list) against a Mournfang, 2x VampLord, Necromancer, 3x3 Hosts (I think?) 10x Ghost Knights (Whatever they're actually called).  Oh, and a Balewind.

Odd game.  We used the cards, ended up with a scenario where 2 objectives were in the middle, one on his side (I wanted to make him come fight for the middle), there was a -1 to shoot for most of the game (which, along with the debuff, made my cannons pretty useless), and we deployed within inches of each other.  I won, partly playing smart, partly dumb luck, but it could have gone the other way, ugly, quite easily.

Mournfangs are a pain.  He could get it to a 2+/4+ save easily, and it ignores rend.  If you don't kill it in one turn, it heals on its turn by killing models, rapidly (both the killing and the healing).  The real problem is it imposes a -1 to hit bubble for a fairly large space around it.  That, plus most of his army being immune to rend, posed some problems.  It was the first time I'd used Bloodletters, they were terrific, and did serious work until he ground them down to below 20 (at which point they couldn't generate MW any more due to the-1 to hit).  I mostly bogged down the Mournfang by feeding it Bloodcrushers and skullcannons, while the 'letters killed the rest of his army.  The 'crushers were better than I'd expected, given the rep.  Not huge killing machines, but durable, and battleshock isn't an issue.  Good for speedbumps.

FMB

I think you mean the Mourngul :D ? The Mournfang are in a whole different Allegiance so that would be a bit odd. They are still very solid still! Totally get why that can break out the sweats a little. Luckily you did thake Bloodletters and didn't just solely rely on a little bit of rend to do the job. I think the moment you'd switch Bloodcrushers for even better models you'd roll down easier.

Balewind certainly is a piece I wish GH2017 didn't keep. Pretty much all the other terrain left the game, even that which specifically works for Priests and generals that arn't Wizards... In terms of tackling it we don't have too much (keep in mind though, he must summon it under the new rules, so his list had some summonning ;) ):
- Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster can flail and spit at it. Does this with a re-roll and auto D3 Mortal wounds, which is why for 2K I'm just going to start to use the WoK BT way more this year as last year. Plus I like the model.
- Bloodthirser of Unfettered Fury can whip it. Can't really move it though, that's the bigger issue.
- Slaughterpriests can Blood Boil it :P (not to confuse it with Death's own Blood Boil).
- Then we have Skullcannons which are not ideal for this and half-technically Karanak who can put some mortal wounds on it if he unbinds the spell.

In general though most Wizards that go onto it arn't the biggest issue anymore. As above, the new Warscroll must be used and Monsters can't be ontop of it anymore. Still leaves some issue pieces who have acces to it but it's less nuts as before.

@Uveron great army and report mate! Can't wait to pick up Shadespire either. I still feel a little salty about Tzeentch Allegiance at lower levels so think that game in particular can be forgotten. It becomes something different at 2K ;) .

Keep up the great reports folks!

Cheers,

Agreed, Killax! The only reason I didn't mention a 'Thirster variant is that I haven't invested in the model yet. Don't get me wrong, the Manticore Lord was a fantastic offensive model who mowed down super-regen Blood Knights and monsters alike. For a tourney though? (Ping... ping... ping... you're dead)

On 10/12/2017 at 1:38 AM, EnDirty said:

The basis of my 2k list is running a blob of 30 bloodwarriors and gore pilgrims, giving them +3 to save from the priests so their saving on 2's, ignoring rend 1 and dishing back mortal wounds whenever they make an armor save.  Pretty well impossible to shift off of an objective

I had a similar idea. If you really want to run a BloodWarrior Death Star, I feel like Gore Pilgrims makes it much nastier ... you guarantee multiple buffs that way. Anyway, here's my stab at one, a Gore Pilgrims list with as much mortal synergy as possible ... Killax, I know you won't favor my lack of Bloodletters, but as you said, Gore Pilgrims heads the other (mortal) direction.

My idea here would be the most models possible affected by Bronzed Flesh, with enough room to buff up the Bloodsecrator or the Mighty Lord when needed.

Leaders

Mighty Lord of Khorne (140) Gorecleaver, Violent Urgency

Bloodsecrator (120)

Slaughter Priest (100) Bronzed Flesh 

Slaughter Priest (100) Bronzed Flesh

Bloodstoker (80) Talisman of Burning Blood

Battleline

Bloodwarriors x 30 (520) x 3 Goreglaives, Gorefists

Bloodreavers x 40 (240)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Units

Wrathmongers x 5 (180)

Khorgorath x 2 (160)

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000

11 hours ago, Roark said:

Agreed, Killax! The only reason I didn't mention a 'Thirster variant is that I haven't invested in the model yet. Don't get me wrong, the Manticore Lord was a fantastic offensive model who mowed down super-regen Blood Knights and monsters alike. For a tourney though? (Ping... ping... ping... you're dead)

Yeah at the same time Ive not invested into a Chaos Lord on Manticore yet... Though that plan will certainly unfold into me converting a Maulerfiend for this purpose anyway, I just like how it visually fits the Khorne army for Age of Sigmar very well also. There really is a small difference between the Rhino like Juggernaut and Super-gorrilla Maulerfiend.

One additional thing I like about the Bloodthirster aswell is the generally more meaningful Command Ability (aura's). It's great to buff Chaos Warriors with the Manticore Lord (which the app would have the updated Warscroll) but at the same time it is adding output to something which isn't incredible for it's output. Which is very much unlike a Bloodthirster boosting Bloodletters even more :P . Speaking of which...

10 hours ago, Sabrewulf said:

I had a similar idea. If you really want to run a BloodWarrior Death Star, I feel like Gore Pilgrims makes it much nastier ... you guarantee multiple buffs that way. Anyway, here's my stab at one, a Gore Pilgrims list with as much mortal synergy as possible ... Killax, I know you won't favor my lack of Bloodletters, but as you said, Gore Pilgrims heads the other (mortal) direction.

My idea here would be the most models possible affected by Bronzed Flesh, with enough room to buff up the Bloodsecrator or the Mighty Lord when needed.

Leaders

Mighty Lord of Khorne (140) Gorecleaver, Violent Urgency
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughter Priest (100) Bronzed Flesh 
Bloodstoker (80) Talisman of Burning Blood

Battleline

Bloodwarriors x 30 (520) x 3 Goreglaives, Gorefists
Bloodreavers x 40 (240)
Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Units

Wrathmongers x 5 (180)
Khorgorath x 2 (160)

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (180)
Total: 1990 / 2000

I really like where this is going, also without Bloodletters :D At the same time though I do wonder if such a 'small unit count' has what it thakes what you want from the Khorne Allegiance. Offcourse your bound to it because else there is no acces to Bronzed Flesh but unlike the "wonderful" Stormcasts, Seraphon or Tzeentch armies we have no way to get those 30 Blood Warriors where they need to be 'all the time' or at the relevant time.

Without doubt though this list is one to test. I believe in Death Stars, I just hope that this has the required mobility you'd still want from it. While it sounds silly to some, Murderhost's 2d6 additional Movement is a game changer and the reason why I fell in love with the Battalion in the first place.

In any case, what I would do is split up the Khorgorath's, this way you have better flank protection for said Death Star which is the way this list can steamroll over others. Again the downside is the way to walk with this army is long and if your opponent is able to dance around the 30 Blood Warriors it's going to be a hard time.
For sure Slaughterpriest have something to still ensure some will be soacked into the Death Star so give it a try! 

Cheers,

@Killax Killax i don't mean offense, but you are using the term deathstar a lot lately. A death star has 3 requisites. Movement and or reach, durability and killyness. If one of them fails, the deathstar stops being a deathstar. The whole idea of a deathstar is to be unstoppable and able to sweep the table while you invest as many points as you can into it/they (hence the term deathstar), if not, then you would be paying a lot of points for something that's hardly as useful. I am new, so i haven't seen many units yet, but the only unit which works in a  deathstar kind of way i has seen is the Lord celestant on Stardrake. 

30 bloodwarriors with 3 bronze flesh are not a deathstar, no matter how durable you make them, because they aren't that killy or have the reach for it to be. They are a big fat and slow anvil.  I think it is a cute idea, and probably fun to play a few times, but i don't see how 30 bloodwarriors in one unit will ever perform better than 2-3 bloodwarrior units, or combinations of units of bloodwarriors with khorgoraths, wrathmongers, etc.

Archived