Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

40 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

The attack characteristic on the warscroll does not change. If it's 1 attack, the warscroll still says 1 attack on turn 5.... It's quite particular in saying attack Characteristic, and not just Attack. To me this doesn't stack each turn.

the warscroll doesnt alter no warscroll does.

When it says add 1 to the attacks characteristic of the melee weapon it alters it to 2 attacks. ok so now that weapon does 2 attacks. when does it go? at the end of the phase? no doesnt say that. ok at the end of my turn, doesnt say that. ok when my next hero phase is. doesnt say that.

every other temporary bonus clearly defines when it ends within the sentence that it grants it to you.  i have looked at over 50 different warscrolls which grant you temporary bonuses and they all clearly state the end condition of that bonus. 

and here is another example of a permanent bonus to a warscroll 

The Orruk megaboss

Strength from victory

the more fights a megaboss wins, the stronger they become. If a megaboss slays an enemy HERO, add 1 to their Wounds characteristic and to the attacks characteristic of their Boss Choppa 

this is a clear example of a permanent bonus. using the exact same wording as in the darkfeast battalion.

Screenshot_20170112-115612.png

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

I was wondering about Valkia the Bloody. I don't have her model yet, but I always thought she might be useful. However, I am pretty new to AoS. So, every now and then, you can read something about her. However, I would like to gather experiences with her in this central Bloodbound chat (e.g., which roles she is good in, what she is strong at, etc.). Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers

Strength from victory

the more fights a megaboss wins, the stronger they become. If a megaboss slays an enemy HERO, add 1 to their Wounds characteristic and to the attacks characteristic of their Boss Choppa 

this is a clear example of a permanent bonus. using the exact same wording as in the darkfeast battalion.

Yep - I agree. This one (and Gordrakk's one) stack in the sense that the bonuses are cumulative if they kill multiple Heroes.

I note that the wording for the Khorne ability in question could (wrongly) be interpreted to mean that every time they attack, they gain an extra attack. I think @Bowlzee was just trying to explain that point.

The buff is permanent, but " whenever it is selected to attack. " isn't qualifying "add one".

12 minutes ago, Nico said:

Pending an FAQ, the practical answer is to ask a TO for event X in advance. I've done that for events that I attend for example. I don't think there is much doubt on this particular query though. 

Yeah I agree, if unsure ask, but the way it is written does open it up to interpretation, the fact they've not stipulated the end condition clearly like normal, is bad practice but understandable considering the scale of warscrolls. 

If there is strong enough argument to require a faq then it could be argued either way.

31 minutes ago, Surtur said:

Hey,

I was wondering about Valkia the Bloody. I don't have her model yet, but I always thought she might be useful. However, I am pretty new to AoS. So, every now and then, you can read something about her. However, I would like to gather experiences with her in this central Bloodbound chat (e.g., which roles she is good in, what she is strong at, etc.). Looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers

I like her, good threat range, good potential damage, good rend.

she needs to kill what she goes into as you don't want it drawn out as her damage dramatically drops off, if you run her in then run her out it could work. 

On 1/10/2017 at 7:44 PM, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Competitive list for the theoryhammerists: 

Battalions:

Dark Feast (100)

Bloodstorm (140)

Leaders:

Aspiring Deathbringer (80) - General

Slaughterpriest (100) - Dark Feast

Slaughterpriest (100)

Slaughterpriest (100)

Bloodsecrator (120)

Bloodstoker (80) - Dark Feast

Battleline:

Bloodreavers x20 (120) - Dark Feast

Bloodreavers x20 (120) - Dark Feast

Bloodreavers x10 (60) - Dark Feast

Wrathmongers x5 (180) - Bloodstorm

Skullreapers x5 (140)

Chaos Warshrine (200)

Thoughts?

The idea: Wrathmongers march up front providing a protective screen for the Bloodreavers behind them from shooting. Slaughterpriests cover the magic, all three would likely have the axe. 

Between the Totem, Portal of Skulls, Aspiring Deathbringer, Three Wrathmongers and their stacking Dark Feast, the Bloodreavers have an unlikely, but possible, 11 potential attacks per model by turn 4. Let that sink in.

Combined with buffs from the Warshrine and Bloodstoker, these could be incredibly accurate as well.

Revision: I also tweaked it to include a version with 10 more Reavers for the third unit, Warhounds to chaff and intercept nasties, and losing the superflous Skullreapers.

Anyone want to offer their thoughts on this list? Have experience with running multiple slaughterpriests? Bloodstorm? Dark Feast?

Asode from the inherent weaknesses that Khorne Bloodbound suffers on the whole, I think this is a fairly good looking list for competitive play. 

Here is my alternate Battleline:

Bloodreavers x20 (160)

Bloodreavers x20 (160)

Bloodreavers x20 (160)

Wrathmongers x5 (180)

Wrathmongers x5 (180)

Wrathmongers x5 (180)

Chaos Warshrine (200)

Chaos Warhounds (80)

Again, I took out the Skull Reapers because they would detract from the synergy of the army as a whole. My Bloodstoker would be too busy babysitting Bloodreavers to go play BDSM and reap skulls. 

I like the Warhounds because I have them and they offer something this list is lacking; a speedy unit to respond to speedy threats. Ideally, the hounds would be put into a position where the Slaughterpriests can force something to charge them and tie a unit up for a turn. 

I've played with 2 Slaughter Priests. I found them rather good at pumping Mortal wounds at range. I've seen them described as Bloodbound Artillery and I think that's fair.

I'm a big fan of the Dark Feast (I played it as a non stacking +1A though the wording does seem to suggest stacking) really gives the Bloodreavers bite making them harder hitting than Bloodwarriors if they've got axes. Being immune to battleshock is fairly essential given their lack of save. Run them in 20s at least though they do vanish rather quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just picked up the bloodbound half of the starter set on eBay! I'm not sure which way I want to take this army.

My "main" army is an Ironjawz army (can you see a theme on the armies I pick...), so I was looking for something with a few more options (the Ironjawz have like 7 warscrolls). 

My original idea was that I would keep it purely bloodbound (Mortal Khorne), but I quite like the idea of having a combination Khorne list with bloodbound and daemons in it.

I'm aiming for 1000 points to start with so I can play some smaller games at club. Here is what I am thinking.

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne
Bloodsecrator 
Bloodstoker

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors
10 x Blood Warriors
20 x Bloodreavers

Units
5 x Skullreapers

I really like the Mighty Lord of Khorne model, and the bloodstoker and bloodsecrator just seem like auto-includes. Hoping the bloodreavers are able to put out quite a bit of hurt before they fall over when anyone even so much as looked at them funny!

The Blood Warrior models are just amazing, and I love them, and I want to take as many of them as possible. They seem good on the table, trying to figure out which weapon option would be best, although I think the starter set comes with the gorefists? I think the goreaxes might put out more consistent damage though.

Skull reapers are awesome, and I didnt have the points for wrathmongers (which I really really REALLY like).

I definitely want skullreapers, wrathmongers and Blood Warriors in the 2k list. What sort of battalions have people managed to get some mileage out of? Dark Feast has been mentioned, which seems to be a sensible option if you want to take large numbers of Bloodreavers. The bloodbound warband looks pretty good on paper. 

How do people get on with the short ranges of some of the command abilities on units like the Aspiring Deathbringer?

Looking at your list it with a little tinkering it would be a good fit with the Bloodbound Warband. The Bloodsecrator does provide fairly much the same bonuses though and you could have a second one for the same cost.

For me the Mighty Lord's command ability is much more useful, combined with the Bloodstoker it means you can reliably make those game changing charges when you really need to.

Wrathmongers are great they are pretty much the Bloodbound's counter to everyone else's top units, I didn't have any in my force to start with and I really struggled against the monster/marquee characters I faced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2017 at 5:58 AM, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Anyone want to offer their thoughts on this list? Have experience with running multiple slaughterpriests? Bloodstorm? Dark Feast?

Asode from the inherent weaknesses that Khorne Bloodbound suffers on the whole, I think this is a fairly good looking list for competitive play. 

Here is my alternate Battleline:

Bloodreavers x20 (160)

Bloodreavers x20 (160)

Bloodreavers x20 (160)

Wrathmongers x5 (180)

Wrathmongers x5 (180)

Wrathmongers x5 (180)

Chaos Warshrine (200)

Chaos Warhounds (80)

Again, I took out the Skull Reapers because they would detract from the synergy of the army as a whole. My Bloodstoker would be too busy babysitting Bloodreavers to go play BDSM and reap skulls. 

I like the Warhounds because I have them and they offer something this list is lacking; a speedy unit to respond to speedy threats. Ideally, the hounds would be put into a position where the Slaughterpriests can force something to charge them and tie a unit up for a turn. 

Thats a ****** ton of bloodreavers. You're amazing to have painted all of them.

So what do we think of the bloodbound list that was run at the masters?

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Skullgrinder (80)

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
20 x Bloodreavers (120)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (60)
- Reaver Blades

Units
3 x Khorgoraths (240)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Skullreapers (140)
- Daemonblades

Battalions
Goreblade Warband (60)

Total: 2000/2000

I'm looking at running a 1000pt Goreblade warband to start my Bloodbound army off.

I curious why the unit of 10 Blood Reavers in the Masters' list has Reaver Blades instead of Meatripper Axes. In my mind, the Reaver Blades are all but useless compared to Axes, especially when stacked with the Bloodstoker's ability. Any reason you guys can see for the 2 different load-outs on the Reavers? (Maybe it was  only models he had?)

Also, in terms of points value, how do people compare the relative worth of Blood Warriors vs. Blood Reavers?  Which is preferred when compared point for point?

Blood Warriors are brilliant they have a 4 up save, the ability to bounce back mortal wounds and when they die (in combat) they get to pile in and attack. I like to select a BW unit to attack, my opponent will attack back some die and they effectively fight twice. If you have ten put a Gore Glaive on the champion and boost their attacks and do a load of damage.

Blood Reavers with Meat Ripper axes can been good, Dark feast, 12" of a planted Portal of Skulls (or two), 3" of wrath wratmonger and 6" Aspiring death bringer and they get a ton of attack. Only problem is they naked so the second the get hit they fall to pieces.

So I would usually go for Blood Warriors.

Archived