Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, one thing I dont like about Khorgis are that they all have the same pose. Khorgis are described as predators who are drawn to Khorne chasing bloodshed. Therefore all Khorgs need not look the same. My Korg could be an ape-like predator Who is transformed.

49 minutes ago, jazman84 said:

Well, one thing I dont like about Khorgis are that they all have the same pose. Khorgis are described as predators who are drawn to Khorne chasing bloodshed. Therefore all Khorgs need not look the same. My Korg could be an ape-like predator Who is transformed.

Yeah I do get that and visually I'd have no issue with it. The thing is that Scyla is quite the different model, with quite the different base and a special character on top of that. What Im basically saying is that I think it could easily lead to a confusing gamestate if your opponent thinks he's facing Scyla because the model is Scyla but supposed to represent a Khorgorath.

I do agree with you on the mono-pose issue. I have some plans for the other versions however and removing the rock that's on his left leg is one easy way to at least alter the static pose they would otherwise come with. This example will have his right hoof elevated, another will have a Hellbrute fist and the third will likely have one arm cut of and reposed. 

Currently I have no additional plans to make more as three but then again I also dont have any lists yet that would ever include more. Having said that though I still think a Skaarac based list with them can still have a lot of potential. 

Cheers,

Happy Monday!

So it’s almost Christmas, and I have it on good authority, that my wife and kid spent far too much money at my local GW store this weekend! As I had a gift list at the store I have some ideas of what I will be getting so I want to start thinking of how I should build these kits. SO!  

On all these options please consider I will be running them in a Khone List.

• Slaughterpriests: Bloodbathed Axe, or Hackblade and Wrath-Hammer?  The Big Axe, has a 2’ range which is nice, and it does 2 damage. But only 3 attacks. The Hackblade and wrath Hammer, Has a mix of ranges, more attacks but less damage.  Mathshammer says that the Big Axe will score 1 wound, the Blade and Hammer 1.5 wounds, but the Axe scores 2 damage should it make it through the armor.
  • Mighty Skullcrushers: Ensorcelled Axe or BloodGlaive? Again Math hammer doesn’t really give much difference between the difference weapons providing the opponent has at least a 6+ save. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • Chaos Knights: Ensorcelled Weapons, or Chaos Glave. This split makes it look a lot more likely that Ensorcelled weapons are a better choice. As they get the +1 attack, and its hits easier. But the Ability to get -2 rend is good, and I suppose with the moves they get they should be getting the charge off.  

2 hours ago, Uveron said:

Happy Monday!

So it’s almost Christmas, and I have it on good authority, that my wife and kid spent far too much money at my local GW store this weekend! As I had a gift list at the store I have some ideas of what I will be getting so I want to start thinking of how I should build these kits. SO!  

• Slaughterpriests: Bloodbathed Axe, or Hackblade and Wrath-Hammer?  The Big Axe, has a 2’ range which is nice, and it does 2 damage. But only 3 attacks. The Hackblade and wrath Hammer, Has a mix of ranges, more attacks but less damage.  Mathshammer says that the Big Axe will score 1 wound, the Blade and Hammer 1.5 wounds, but the Axe scores 2 damage should it make it through the armor.
  • Mighty Skullcrushers: Ensorcelled Axe or BloodGlaive? Again Math hammer doesn’t really give much difference between the difference weapons providing the opponent has at least a 6+ save. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • Chaos Knights: Ensorcelled Weapons, or Chaos Glave. This split makes it look a lot more likely that Ensorcelled weapons are a better choice. As they get the +1 attack, and its hits easier. But the Ability to get -2 rend is good, and I suppose with the moves they get they should be getting the charge off.  

First you'll be sorry when it turns out to stormcasts ?

Otherwise I think the priest with big axe is better once buffs are taken into account. Plus 2 inch means he can hide behind a reaver meat shield.

I went for glaives on my skull crushers as they get the bonus on the charge. I have the leader an axe though so he can double as a lord on juggernaut. 

Unsure on knights but generally getting rend is better than not having it.

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

First you'll be sorry when it turns out to stormcasts ?

Otherwise I think the priest with big axe is better once buffs are taken into account. Plus 2 inch means he can hide behind a reaver meat shield.

I went for glaives on my skull crushers as they get the bonus on the charge. I have the leader an axe though so he can double as a lord on juggernaut. 

Unsure on knights but generally getting rend is better than not having it.

Oh if they are stormcasts then soon I will have some very nice looking Chaos Warriors! 

I think I agree about the Priest. (So time to get another big axe for a conversion). 

Skull Crushers: I Don't think they get a bonus anymore with the Glaves on a charge. 

Kights: Yep that is my current thought as well, With the move they have Its highly likely I will be getting the charge, though the 'hand weapons' does allow me to use them to hold objectives better, where as the Glaves require me to occasionally pull these guys back from combat to assault again.  

27 minutes ago, Uveron said:

Oh if they are stormcasts then soon I will have some very nice looking Chaos Warriors! 

I think I agree about the Priest. (So time to get another big axe for a conversion). 

Skull Crushers: I Don't think they get a bonus anymore with the Glaves on a charge. 

Kights: Yep that is my current thought as well, With the move they have Its highly likely I will be getting the charge, though the 'hand weapons' does allow me to use them to hold objectives better, where as the Glaves require me to occasionally pull these guys back from combat to assault again.  

You are right in the crushers, I was mis-remembering. The glaives have rend which is why I went for them, that and I like the look. I think they look scarier so hopefully will draw some fire.

Fir the knights I think rend option is better, but then I have 20+ blood warriors to hold objectives. So depends what the rest of your build is and the role you want for them.

8 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

You are right in the crushers, I was mis-remembering. The glaives have rend which is why I went for them, that and I like the look. I think they look scarier so hopefully will draw some fire.

Fir the knights I think rend option is better, but then I have 20+ blood warriors to hold objectives. So depends what the rest of your build is and the role you want for them.

I do think your right on both points. I plan on running a block of 25 Chaos  warriors for taking objectives (and 40 Marauders If just going pure Slaves)  

56 minutes ago, Uveron said:

I do think your right on both points. I plan on running a block of 25 Chaos  warriors for taking objectives (and 40 Marauders If just going pure Slaves)  

Sounds like you have plenty of anvil units so the rend is the way, of course all of this is trumped by rule of cool ?

14 hours ago, Killax said:

Yeah I do get that and visually I'd have no issue with it. The thing is that Scyla is quite the different model, with quite the different base and a special character on top of that. What Im basically saying is that I think it could easily lead to a confusing gamestate if your opponent thinks he's facing Scyla because the model is Scyla but supposed to represent a Khorgorath.

I do agree with you on the mono-pose issue. I have some plans for the other versions however and removing the rock that's on his left leg is one easy way to at least alter the static pose they would otherwise come with. This example will have his right hoof elevated, another will have a Hellbrute fist and the third will likely have one arm cut of and reposed. 

Currently I have no additional plans to make more as three but then again I also dont have any lists yet that would ever include more. Having said that though I still think a Skaarac based list with them can still have a lot of potential. 

Cheers,

I like your Hellbrute idea.

My Scylla will be rebased and converted to a degree. There should be minimal confusion ?

14 hours ago, Uveron said:

Happy Monday!

To be any use in combat against all but the weakest opponents either priest needs a weapon artifact just go with the one you think is coolest. 

Go with the glaives on both the rend is very helpful on the Skullchrushers and you should be getting the charge in with the knights although they are -1 rend 2 dam rather than -2rend. When Khorne marked the knights get very powerful through synergies. 

I agree, Slaughterpriest in my opinion arnt made for combat, so use whatever weapon you like there. Key is to not get him in combat and continue Blood Boil harrasement. We cant do anything about them getting shot. 

For our cavalry Rend is more essential. We can improve attacks, hit or wound chances, we can't improve Rend on our units. 

Sidenote, greenstuffing the piece gapline on Khorgorath isnt a fun job but Im almost there :P

Cheers,

IMG-20171211-WA0028.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

To be any use in combat against all but the weakest opponents either priest needs a weapon artifact just go with the one you think is coolest. 

Go with the glaives on both the rend is very helpful on the Skullchrushers and you should be getting the charge in with the knights although they are -1 rend 2 dam rather than -2rend. When Khorne marked the knights get very powerful through synergies. 

Well thats I think going to be my plan! 

Now time to start planning some good looking conversions for the Priests! (I hate running stock models, so I head swaps and weapon re-posing at a minimum) I think the big Axe will end up on the guy with the blade and the chains, to make it look like he is in mid swing with it. 

Different topic...Has anyone tried Khorne-marked Chosen? I heard mention of them on a podcast recently. Previously with Skullreapers at 140 points, it seemed they outperformed Chosen in every way. However, with Skullreapers now at 180 (vs. Chosen at 140), I'm going to give them a try.

Pros:

• 3 attacks each, hitting on 3's and 3's with rend -1
  • Mortal wounds on a wound roll of 6+ - combo's very well with Juggerlord's Command Ability on the charge (MW's on 5+ wound roll)
  • Slaves to Darkness keyword for Sayl teleportation
  • +1 to run and charge because of their Drummer
  • Slaughter-Leaders ability, providing re-rolls to wound for Slaves units within 8" for the rest of the phase, once the Chosen kill a model (would require some planning, but definitely doable...)

Cons:

• Still pricey (160 points for 5)
  • 2 wounds each
  • Finecast models

Here's what I'm thinking in terms of strategy, very similar to the Lord on Daemonic mount + Knights + Sayl conversation we had a few pages back:

• Buff up Chosen - Killing Frenzy  + Bronzed Flesh (if running GP priests), Whip from the Bloodstoker, KLoJ Command Ability
  • Teleport to 9" away with Sayl
  • Plant BS banner - depending on what unit you're targeting they could be within 30" (assuming you're using GP)

This would then require you to make a 5" charge (+3 from Stoker, +1 from in-unit Drummer) to hit your enemy. In an absolute best case scenario, you have dudes with 4 attacks each (if in Banner range), hitting on 2's (with KF), wounding on 2's (with KLoJ) and re-rolling 1's (stoker), doing MW's on wound roll of 5+, with a 3+ save. Seems like some really solid alpha strike potential. 

Alternatively, if wanting to maximize for Slaughter Leaders potential, maybe use Sayl to teleport them on turn 2, to pair with some Knights who are hopefully getting a charge in alongside them.

I had some extra unused Blood Warriors sprues, so I'm converting them into Chosen, with the help of some Stormcast Protectors bits, Skullcrushers shoulder pads + heads, and random large axe heads. Will post a picture once I've made some progress!

50 minutes ago, Render said:

Different topic...Has anyone tried Khorne-marked Chosen? I heard mention of them on a podcast recently. Previously with Skullreapers at 140 points, it seemed they outperformed Chosen in every way. However, with Skullreapers now at 180 (vs. Chosen at 160), I'm going to give them a try.

46 minutes ago, Render said:

I had some extra unused Blood Warriors sprues, so I'm converting them into Chosen, with the help of some Stormcast Protectors bits, Skullcrushers shoulder pads + heads, and random large axe heads. Will post a picture once I've made some progress!

I have been thinking about this as well! 

For weapons I was thinking about the Halberds from the Chaos Warrior Halberds Upgrade Pack, as they give us some big axes.. But still working on the fine details of the conversions.

But the rules look like they could be good! I wish they ran about 20-30 points cheaper. As I think chaos knights work a touch better at the moment,. 

42 minutes ago, Uveron said:

I have been thinking about this as well! 

For weapons I was thinking about the Halberds from the Chaos Warrior Halberds Upgrade Pack, as they give us some big axes.. But still working on the fine details of the conversions.

But the rules look like they could be good! I wish they ran about 20-30 points cheaper. As I think chaos knights work a touch better at the moment,. 

Yeah, Knights are probably the better all around choice due to their increased mobility and survivability, and decent damage on the charge. Not going to math-hammer it out, but I assume Chosen would outperform them only against high armor-save opponents due to MWs output.

Good call on the halberds - should work well. If you're looking for other options, I'm going to be using two from the Chariot kit, one from Skarr, the Gore Glaive from the BW kit (with half of it removed), and the BW champion axe (attached to a larger pole). I've only actually glued a few so far. Still a few short, so I'll probably end up kitbashing some others from the BW kit, or potentially stealing some Decimator bits from a friend.

On the heads, for some reason I thought the Skullcrushers heads looked slightly too big on the BW bodies, so I chopped the bunny ears off. It's a different look, but I think it's pretty cool. I'll try to post some pics later today or tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Render said:

Yeah, Knights are probably the better all around choice due to their increased mobility and survivability, and decent damage on the charge. Not going to math-hammer it out, but I assume Chosen would outperform them only against high armor-save opponents due to MWs output.

Chosen do, math hammer wise 0.33333 more wounds than Knights W Hand Weapons. (and 0.6666 more than Knights W Glaves, but Glaves can cause 2 damage per wound). 

So yes they are more 'Choppy' that Knights, but Knights have 1 more wound, 5" more move. And have the rune shield. Now that being said in the right list! (Maybe a Godsworn Champions of Ruin Battalion) You can maximise their advantages,  

Yeah I also think that Chosen serve an additional purpose for Chaos Warrior heavy armies, but the real thing is that we don't have a ton of reason to go that deep in Slaves to Darkness units. Possible yes, required, hardly...

As above though I don't think they are a bad choice but speed and relevant survival are very important to us due to the minor ammount of ranged attacks we have. However Ive also seen some lists using them to great effect when you combine them with Sayl. Not saying you should do so (because magic, bleh!) but if you do you can create another very fast and hard hitting brick which in the end is all that matters.

Looking forward to see those converted Khorne Chaos Warriors, I have a ton to do aswell :D but Im going to have great fun with the Khorgoraths too. Though the bases thake quite long to make, so much to cover!

25323961_1653161144791120_480114753_n.jpg?oh=17050441b836e0a412689e85b3910f8c&oe=5A341F9C

Looking good @Killax

Here are some pictures of my Khorne Chosen. I started with Skullcrusher + Wrathmonger heads and might try to scare up a few  different ones from other kits for the remaining models, for further variety. Models still need to be fully cleaned up, and it some cases for the weapons, straightened out, but you get the idea. 7 down (mostly), 3 to go, including the Drummer.

Some individual shots:

Spoiler

KhorneChosen1.JPG.b50b18996c84b1e9d88e1fbc60bf241d.JPG

KhorneChosen3.JPG.228c5567dd74bc2442a7e18a00a133a7.JPG

KhorneChosen4.JPG.eb595cc24843d4b78504b82ee9c823fe.JPG

Group pic with the rest of the models:

Spoiler

KhorneChosen2.JPG.20de1b906fc745d0984e30cbd49a9a71.JPG

I'm trying this Gore Pilgrim list. What do you think of it ?

Leaders :

Bloodsecrator (120) - Artefact : The Brazen Rune

Slaughterpriest (100) - General - Command Trait : Slaughterborn - Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Units

10 x Blood Warriors (200) -Goreaxes - 1 x Goreglaives 1

10 x Bloodreavers (70) -Meatripper Axes

5 x Skullreapers (180) -Daemonblades - 1 x Soultearers

5 x Skullreapers (180) -Daemonblades - 1 x Soultearers 5 x Wrathmongers (180) 

10 x Chaos Knights (320) -Chaos Glaives - Mark of Chaos : Khorne

1 x Chaos Warshrine (180) - Mark of Chaos : Khorne - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Battalions Gore Pilgrims (180) Total: 1980 / 2000

1 hour ago, ledha said:

I'm trying this Gore Pilgrim list. What do you think of it ?

Leaders :

Bloodsecrator (120) - Artefact : The Brazen Rune

Slaughterpriest (100) - General - Command Trait : Slaughterborn - Artefact : Talisman of Burning Blood - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest (100) - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Units

10 x Blood Warriors (200) -Goreaxes - 1 x Goreglaives 1

5 x Skullreapers (180) -Daemonblades - 1 x Soultearers

5 x Skullreapers (180) -Daemonblades - 1 x Soultearers 5 x Wrathmongers (180) 

10 x Chaos Knights (320) -Chaos Glaives - Mark of Chaos : Khorne

1 x Chaos Warshrine (180) - Mark of Chaos : Khorne - Blood Blessing : Bronzed Flesh

Battalions Gore Pilgrims (180) Total: 1980 / 2000

Its ok. 

I would recommend trying to get the points for a unit that has 20+ models, and a more 'tanky' hero, both of these things will let you score points more reliably. 

The Warshrine kinda fills in the spot for the Tank Hero, but I think a second option is worth exploring. 

Archived