Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

2 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

As far as I can tell, the portal needs to be opened every Command Phase.  The warscroll indicates you open it in your hero phase, and then you can't move to the following hero phase, but gain Loathsome Sorcery and Rage of Khorne.  That seems clear that the abilities, like the movement restriction, last for a turn.  That means Slaughterpriests are stuck in the backfield if they want to extend the range of the portal.

Also, rereading the rules, it indicates you get both abilities.  I've been cheating myself for more than a year (always thought, for some reason, it was one or the other).

FMB

This is my thake on it aswell. Those who think it remains open should also read it as the Bloodsecrator then being able to move. My personal thake on this always has been you open it in the hero phase and it stays open until the next and in the meantime you can't move.

Not all Slaughterpriests are stuck in the backfield however, 1 often is. Then again in practice the issue isn't massive as there can be 'tails' leading to the Bloodsecrator and the Slaughterpriest might just be within 16" of that same tail as the effect of Rage of Khorne increases to 24", a Slaughterpriest should be within 8" and most of the Blood Blessings that are relevant have a range of 16" (8+16=24).

You do certainly get both abilities, But I still havn't found an indication that the Portal would remain open "for the reminder of the game", would be neat but I don't believe that's the case.

1 hour ago, Skarband said:

Hello guys i need help with my army list I want to go Brass Stampede we playing 1500 points HELP:

Alligance of Khorne

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut:General,slagueborn,gore cleaver,general 140pkt

Bloodsecator:Brazen rune 120pkt

Bloodstoker 80pkt

6x Mighty Skullcrushuers 240pkt

3x Mighty Skullcrushers 140pkt

3x Mighty Skullcrushers 140pkt

10x Bloodwarriors 200pkt

10x Bloodreavers 70pkt

10x Bloodreavers 70pkt

10x Bloodreavers 70pkt

Brass Stampede 180pkt

Looks like a plan but why play Bloodreavers here? Might aswell go heavy on the Skullcrushers if you go Brass Stampede?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing a turn one/two screens  and objective grabbers later on. I don't really like those 6 skullcrushers units, instead of 2x3. More champions, less vulnerable to bravery and better synergies with brass stampede imo. What do you gain by playing them in a 6man unit ? bloodstoker buff ?

4 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Re: the running conversation around Gore Pilgrims.  I've been loath to run it in part because as I understood it, the Slaughterpriests were tied to the Bloodsecrator to get full benefit (had to stay within 8", or whatever it is, to maintain the bubble).  Then I recently heard on a podcast this wasn't the case, as the portal "stays open", and the Slaughterpriests can move in subsequent turns.  

Is this the case?  As far as I can tell, the portal needs to be opened every Command Phase.  The warscroll indicates you open it in your hero phase, and then you can't move to the following hero phase, but gain Loathsome Sorcery and Rage of Khorne.  That seems clear that the abilities, like the movement restriction, last for a turn.  That means Slaughterpriests are stuck in the backfield if they want to extend the range of the portal.

Yes, the portal must be opened each Hero phase, and its effects last until your next Hero phase. The "width" of the portal depends on how many Priests are within 8" of the Secrator at the time of opening. So, the Priests can then move forward  in the movement phase following the opening of the portal, but of course then the portal's effect bubble shrinks in the NEXT Hero phase as your Priests are presumably outside the 8"...

3 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

I am guessing a turn one/two screens  and objective grabbers later on. I don't really like those 6 skullcrushers units, instead of 2x3. More champions, less vulnerable to bravery and better synergies with brass stampede imo. What do you gain by playing them in a 6man unit ? bloodstoker buff ?

You get a better Murderous Charge (1d6MW) and, yeah, can buff more models with Heroes/Priests. 

Once they've killed a model they're Bravery 9 anyway, so that kinda mitigates the Bravery problem if they're outside Secrator range.

On 18/10/2017 at 5:13 AM, Roark said:

You get a better Murderous Charge (1d6MW) and, yeah, can buff more models with Heroes/Priests. 

Once they've killed a model they're Bravery 9 anyway, so that kinda mitigates the Bravery problem if they're outside Secrator range.

Math hammer-wise 2d3 is better than 1d6. And you'll still get the 2d3 as long as 1 is alive in each unit. Your 1d6 drops to d3 as soon as you lose one model.

throw in the extra champion and I think 2 msu crushers beats a unit of 6 most of the time

its just whether those benefits outweigh the buffing efficiency of a larger unit.

On an unrelated note, I played my first game with some skullreapers and holy ******. I can see why they got a point increase!

chewed through 30+ skeletons without breaking a sweat (game ended before they could finish them off) 

On 19/10/2017 at 10:21 AM, Retro said:

On an unrelated note, I played my first game with some skullreapers and holy ******. I can see why they got a point increase!

chewed through 30+ skeletons without breaking a sweat (game ended before they could finish them off) 

Yeah, their point-efficiency was downright ridiculous. The only thing preventing them to be as broken as the skyfires or kurnoth hunter were because They weren't a ranged unit with Big move or teleport. Everything that doesn't have a crazy save is pretty much dead one they arrive in melee

Yeah, I still love Reapers. One unit of 5 of mine recently butchered almost an entire 1500pt army of greenskins, starting with soft little grots (30) and progressing through Bonesplitterz (2x30) and then confronting the Brutes and, finally, their scary master. The only real assistance they received was a Blood Rain about 2/3 of the way through.

Hi all,

Ran into the Mourngul last night again, and it's a headache.  Wanted to start a convo about how to deal with it, in particular, but also this kind of headache unit.  The warscroll is here (https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-warscroll-mourngul.pdf).  Reviewing it, my opponent seems to be misreading his rules (or is using an older warscroll - he claims he has a 4+ save vs. MW, and that bravery 6 or less is -3 to hit, the debuff bubble is bigger), but it's still a headache.  He regularly casts Mystic shield on it (from one of three vampire lords) and it sits with a 2+/5+ imposing a to-hit penalty on everything around it.  You have to do a heck of a lot of MW in a single turn to kill it, and if it lives, it eats models and heals d3 per, which usually brings it back up to full health).  In the two games I've played, I've mostly fed it units to tie it up while trying to play to objectives, but it's a handful.

Anyone got tips for successfully dealing with this thing, or have stories to share about other problem units our opponents have, and how to deal with them?

FMB

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Hi all,

Ran into the Mourngul last night again, and it's a headache.  Wanted to start a convo about how to deal with it, in particular, but also this kind of headache unit.  The warscroll is here (https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/fw_warscrolls/aos-warscroll-mourngul.pdf).  Reviewing it, my opponent seems to be misreading his rules (or is using an older warscroll - he claims he has a 4+ save vs. MW, and that bravery 6 or less is -3 to hit, the debuff bubble is bigger), but it's still a headache.  He regularly casts Mystic shield on it (from one of three vampire lords) and it sits with a 2+/5+ imposing a to-hit penalty on everything around it.  You have to do a heck of a lot of MW in a single turn to kill it, and if it lives, it eats models and heals d3 per, which usually brings it back up to full health).  In the two games I've played, I've mostly fed it units to tie it up while trying to play to objectives, but it's a handful.

Anyone got tips for successfully dealing with this thing, or have stories to share about other problem units our opponents have, and how to deal with them?

FMB

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he was using the old warscroll (although even the old one only gave a -2 for bravery 6 and under). But regardless, the best way I have found to deal with it is a well timed dent mystic shield and then bury it in reliable attacks. I like to use axe skull crushers, because not having rend doesn’t mean anything and with a few buffs, they pump out a ton of 3+/3+ attacks. 

Sounds like the old Warscroll indeed. Try the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, Immense Power, his wounds and attacks present an issue. The newer Warscroll also needs to kill in order to remain relevant.

Ask your opponent why he uses the old Warscroll and experiment with a little WoK BT ;)

6 minutes ago, Killax said:

Sounds like the old Warscroll indeed. Try the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, Immense Power, his wounds and attacks present an issue. The newer Warscroll also needs to kill in order to remain relevant.

Ask your opponent why he uses the old Warscroll and experiment with a little WoK BT ;)

The one issue I see with using the WoK BT is that the mourngul ignores rend. So you might not be connecting with many of your attacks. 

40 minutes ago, gmulroney said:

The one issue I see with using the WoK BT is that the mourngul ignores rend. So you might not be connecting with many of your attacks. 

You will certainly be connecting, its up to his save to deal with it. The infantry awnser will allow it to mulch through undamaged however.

Thanks to Relentless Hunter and Hellfire Breath Id say hes still a better awnser as either Bloodletters or Wrathmongers. :)

Edit: Skarbrands fun too.

Just getting into AOS, and have decided to start with Khorne after splitting the starter. I have picked up some other things as well. And have been working through making a 1000 point list to start out with. 

Aspiring Deathbringer w/ Goreaxe & Skullhammer

Bloodsecrator

Slaughterpriest

Bloodstoker

40x Bloodreavers

10x Blood Warriors

5x Skullreapers

Any critique/ advice would be welcome. Also, what is the best way to approach equip options/ artefacts/ command traits?

I can't be sure how many points you are at right now. I don't think you can afford a battalion as it will be quite an investment, so may be better without one,

I feel you are missing another unit so consider adding something that adds something different e.g.  a gore chariot or a unit of knights or something for some speed or something a bit scary like some khorgorath or shooty and fast like marauder horsemen.

The beauty of khorne is the army has a LOT of depth and you can mix and match  a lot of things to your taste. But that can lead to distraction so I would say have a goal and work to it, then add other things. Khorne is so modular it is easy to get distracted by another shiny toy. There are some good mortal lists so find one you like the look of and build to it. 

Otherwise I suggest do some battles and take note of what is causing you problems and add things in or take them out to compensate. It will take time to learn the units and what you like. Experiment ?

1 hour ago, Son Of Khârn said:

Has anyone had any luck with Chaos Marauders or Chaos Knights by chance?

I really like the Mongolian style of hit and run feel of the former.

Haven't tried Marauder cav yet, but I do run Khorne knights with glaives consistently, often 2 units.  They are an excellent buff platform, and once you get used to arranging things to get the charge, are a reliable "shock" factor in the game.  Absent buffs, and post-charge, they're a decently durable roadblock, but will lose to the better attrition units in the game (I'm talking to you, plaguebearers).  They are also one of the fasted units to which we have access, and their speed can catch opponents off guard - especially if combined with a move via BT points.

FMB

Guys i need your help! In planning ti build a 2000 list around brass stampede.I have 2 questions:

- can i declare a charge of 15" ( for exemple) if i got +3 to charge? Or nearest enemy unit has to be 12" far?

- Is better 3x6 units or 7x3 for avalanche of brass ability?

thx all guy! For the bloody god!!:)

Coming into our national masters tournament in just over a month. Any criticism into my 2k list would be much appreciated.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
- Trait: Disciple of Khorne  
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune  
Slaughterpriest (100)
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown  

Battleline