Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

Don't let him get on there in the first place.

Gorepilgrims: plant your banner and with 36' range, make him reroll the cast

Brazen rune - auto dispel 

2 tithe points: spell eater curse - another autodispel

Any hero with a dispel, but maybe Karanak would be more fun to cause some wounds back if you're successful

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easier said as done to not have an oppossing Wizard on there but it's also one of the reasons as to why I really like the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster. He is a legit Hero and Monster hunter by himself whilst also being a great general with Bloodletter bombs. What this allows for is to really ensure oppossing Wizards don't have it easy when one is on the field and a Bloodflail to the face with some Hellfire usually works out really well to thake out oppossing Wizards.

If for what reason you don't want to run Bloodletters and a Bloodthirster I'd say this is indeed another reason to run with Gore Pilgrims as Slaughterpriest can shoot back in a pinch and in general make things much more difficult.

All in all we have a ton of options to ensure that even the best Wizards with Magic go through a coin flippy process. This aspect of AoS Khorne is just fantastic and for example isn't there at all in 40K Khorne (minus the Karanak doing a cool anti Sorcerer trick).

Hope that helps!

Yeah no worries, I'd do it, though ideally put it on the correct base if you go for it! By large because to me that is the difference between a Chaos Spawn and a Khorgorath anyway.

The beauty of both Khorgorath and Chaos Spawn is that with greenstuff and additional bits the models can be used for both purposes anyway, so go for it! :D 

IMG_0998.PNG.3c5b3a36e0b73e61015967600bee1e05.PNGIMG_0999.PNG.92c114fc437b190fa8070c696dc477a9.PNGIMG_1001.PNG.f498538e4c8fa2a9eb1887bf0070586c.PNG

Going to be using this at a small tournament this weekend. Simple theory of Brass Stampede for added bite to the Skullcrushers. Gore Pilgrims for added Bloodscrator action and to bolster the priests which I'll be using as living Artillery most of the time (would I be right in thinking they can use their Bloodfuelled prayers and Bloodblessings in the same turn?). The Khorgoraths are separate as I'm intended on trying some Battleshock enhancing shenanigans with them. 

I'll update with how it fares 

49 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Going to be using this at a small tournament this weekend. Simple theory of Brass Stampede for added bite to the Skullcrushers. Gore Pilgrims for added Bloodscrator action and to bolster the priests which I'll be using as living Artillery most of the time (would I be right in thinking they can use their Bloodfuelled prayers and Bloodblessings in the same turn?). The Khorgoraths are separate as I'm intended on trying some Battleshock enhancing shenanigans with them. 

I'll update with how it fares 

Seems like a great list to me Ollie, you could even consider running those Khorgoraths as one unit. There are offcourse cons to this aswell but one of the advantage would be to have one buff for such a unit and a buff for your Blood Warriors. Bronzed Flesh on the both of them does not seem like a bad plan, you could double up on a single unit aswell but I happen to think that 3 Khorgoraths can't really be ignored.

What I am uncertain about though is if you really need Brass Stampede here. For the same cost you can run another unit of Wrathmongers who also help out any unit your working with and would significantly help you out when facing Monsters (which you likely will).

Looking forward to your reports though! Hope you can suprise me with the Brass Stampede effects :) 

@Killax With the Brass Stampede there is an element of, I've painted it so I'm going to ruddy well use it.  I've had a bit of success with Skullcrushers in the past so I thought I'd see how it goes. 

I got so annoyed by my Wrathmongers flails breaking so they became Skulreapers and are currently WIP.  I have got a bit of a weakness there hopefully I can utilise the Stampede and Slaughterpriests to cover. 

19 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

@Killax With the Brass Stampede there is an element of, I've painted it so I'm going to ruddy well use it.  I've had a bit of success with Skullcrushers in the past so I thought I'd see how it goes. 

I got so annoyed by my Wrathmongers flails breaking so they became Skulreapers and are currently WIP.  I have got a bit of a weakness there hopefully I can utilise the Stampede and Slaughterpriests to cover. 

Yeah I think you'll do fine either way. It's just when Battalions are reaching 30 Bloodletter costs that I always try to evaluate a list like that.

In almost all cases for Khorne armies I like the idea of running a Battalion but two are just too much for me so far. Prime reason being that we still benifit from our Blood Tithe points and all our Battalions are very expensive. So the moment we're suddenly using a unit less as we could I'm still trying to give the advice to run another unit instead. |

With the recent recost it's also often very easy to ensure we use the full 2000 points out of the 2000 available to us. The only examples Ive seen where this isn't done are in fact the lists that run multiple Battalions. Wether we have 80, 160 or 180 points left I feel Khorgoraths, two Khorgoraths and a unit of Wrathmongers should always be on our radar to consider over the second Battalion especially if the Battalion isn't using it's maximized effect anway.

In that same vein, as much as I like Gore Pilgrims, the moment I see only two Slaughterpriest with Gore Pilgrims we still have to consider that one of them is going to babysit that Bloodsecrator which very drastically reduces what you can and can't do with your Slaughterpriest. So if we're then suddenly talking only one Slaughterpriest for maximized Gore Pilgrim effects that specific Slaughterpriest becomes very expensive!

46 minutes ago, Iradekhorne said:

Why no one use skaar bloodwrath? For 80 points you have an awesome anti-horde  character!

While I love him in many cases anti-Horde is no issue for Khorne anyway.
But yeah if someone wants to run him there is absolutely nothing wrong with that plan!

One of the prime reasons as to why I think we don't see him too often yet is because Khorgoraths have a better durability and in quite some cases we have a reason to keep Khorgoraths on an Objective. In Gore Pilgrim's case the Slaughterpriest and Bloodsecrator will do that but there are enough viable lists that don't run this Battalion :)

Due to us being left with only expensive Battalions I also think it isn't worth it to have another 80 points left to bring Skarr back. But as before I do like him as a 80 point Fanatic.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

In that same vein, as much as I like Gore Pilgrims, the moment I see only two Slaughterpriest with Gore Pilgrims we still have to consider that one of them is going to babysit that Bloodsecrator which very drastically reduces what you can and can't do with your Slaughterpriest. So if we're then suddenly talking only one Slaughterpriest for maximized Gore Pilgrim effects that specific Slaughterpriest becomes very expensive!

Why does he have to babysit the Bloodsecrator? 

From my understanding when you open the Portal, you can just keep it open. You don't have to re-do the ability. "In your hero phase, you can declare that this model opens a Portal of Skulls. If you do, you may not move the model until the next movement phase."

It doesn't say the effects last only 1 phase, etc. Everyone I've played against has played that it remains open....

1 hour ago, Bowlzee said:

Why does he have to babysit the Bloodsecrator? 

From my understanding when you open the Portal, you can just keep it open. You don't have to re-do the ability. "In your hero phase, you can declare that this model opens a Portal of Skulls. If you do, you may not move the model until the next movement phase."

It doesn't say the effects last only 1 phase, etc. Everyone I've played against has played that it remains open....

The Portal of Skulls ability sentence does not stop there :)

"Until your next hero phase you may not move the model, but it has the following abilities".

To me this always implied that it does obtain the Loatsome Sorcery and Rage of Khorne abilities only when Portal of Skulls is declared and it gains it until the next hero phase.

Might have played it wrong since the start?

As I see it you just give up one movement to continiously obtain the abilities?

6 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

It says you may not move until your next phase. It doesn't say the Portal is Open only until your next hero phase.....  

I'd agree on that, but would say that the next turn even though the portal is open and you can move, you lose the abilities.  If it were to be a permanent I'd expect "for the rest of the game" to be on the sentence.

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd agree on that, but would say that the next turn even though the portal is open and you can move, you lose the abilities.  If it were to be a permanent I'd expect "for the rest of the game" to be on the sentence.

Oh yeah, I've never moved and kept it open.

I've played it, stand still and it stays open, move and it closes.

The way Ive treated it from the start is like all Battle Standard Bearers basically. Also because it essentially is that for Bloodbound.

I believe the intention is to have it gain abilities at the cost of not moving, announced at Hero Phase. Or in other words nothing closes but he does lose the abilities unless you state you open the portal/plant the banner.

10 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

That makes sense.  I tend to pop a token next to it unless I move him, and make sure my opponent knows what the banner does and that I intend to keep the portal open :)  Think I read a bit too deep into your comment (no idea why as you're a pretty established player!)

22 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

That makes sense.  I tend to pop a token next to it unless I move him, and make sure my opponent knows what the banner does and that I intend to keep the portal open :)  Think I read a bit too deep into your comment (no idea why as you're a pretty established player!)

Missed a bit on the wording. The older warscroll says "but has the following abilities till your next hero phase". The newer one removed that last part. I never noticed that haha.

14 minutes ago, Killax said:

Huh which Bloodsecrator scroll has that removed? Mine doesnt :o

As in doesn't have "till your next hero phase". Just ends the sentence at "but it has the following abilities". Then lists the abilities granted.

Just never picked up on that change. So played declaring each hero phase, oh well. That'll be changing.

Also this was asked previously as per link

2 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

I don't think that's the intended design. I do think it follows the same idea as other Battle Standard Bearers. As before, I don't know which Warscroll we are discussing as some seem to have parts of a sentence removed but these are the variants:

portal.jpg

In all these cases the wording hasn't changed whatsoever. So I really don't know which Warscroll you are refering to right now. 

My interpetation since the start has been:
1. In (y)our hero phase, we can declare that this model opens the Portal of Skulls.
2. If the Portal of Skulls is open: Until the end of (y)our next hero phase the Bloodsecrator may not move but has the following abilities (Loathsome Sorcery + Rage of Khorne). 

Which to me always implied that you do have to announce the Portal of Skulls every turn (hero phase) because else the abilities are lost, alongside with his inability to move. 

1 hour ago, Jaehaerys said:

As in doesn't have "till your next hero phase". Just ends the sentence at "but it has the following abilities". Then lists the abilities granted.

Just never picked up on that change. So played declaring each hero phase, oh well. That'll be changing.

Also this was asked previously as per link

As before I think the correct awnser was given by @Jharen.

The ability last until your next hero phase.  Therefor in each of your hero phase you may declare that you are using it.

or in other words:

The portal does not remain open until you declare it closed.  It must be re-used in each of your hero phases in order for it to remain in effect.  The Bloodsecrator may not move while it is active.

This awnser could be wrong but I doubt it is. 

Under the above suggestion this would imply the ability never stops which terfor would also stop hindering any movement after the next hero phase. It would essentially boil down to giving up one movement for the Bloodsecrator per game...

1 hour ago, misthv said:

Well... If you want to be able to cast friendly spells during your HERO phase, it's quite convenient if it closes until you open it again! 

Hey this is right! I've been making my allies in doubles reroll their spells but I don't have to until I reopen it. Good call!

So, concerning Blood Tithe points, does anyone have any experience where saving up 8 came in handy? It just seems to me that the highest tier reward for our allegiance ability should be for something with a little more utility. I mean, aren't most games pretty close to decided by 8 BT points? Wouldn't it be better to field those reserve points well before you get to 8 BT points?

Archived