Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

You might be onto something there Charles. I've been listening to the official Age of Sigmar Podcast (Stormcast) and not one of the presenters or people interviewed has mentioned owning a Khorne army. I believe the next episode will have a chaos focus so will be interesting to see what is said about Khorne (if anything!) but it definitely seems that they are only interested in the latest releases, particularly strong magic armies like Tzeentch & Death. Its all summoning this and endless spells that. When asked what Destruction players can look forward to in AOS2 Ben Johnson mentioned point decreases about 6 times and not much else. 

It is nice that they let us in on the summoning action, however considering we will likely need to expend 2 blood tithe every turn to auto unbind a crucial endless or realm specific spell, I dont see us being able to rack up enough BT for any kind of meaningful summoning. Of course we may earn a couple of additional points before the end of the movement phase via slaughterpriest prayers/bloodboiling but I dont see 5 x unbuffed bloodletters who cant move the turn they arrive causing much concern for our opponent. Even if we somehow bank the points over the early turns, how much good is a summoned bloodthirster going to do when it arrives turn 4 and can't move until the next/final turn. Yes it may grab a late objective for you in some situations, maybe, but that means our entire allegiance ability is boiled down to one late game summoning.

Due to unbinding and bloodtithe generating prayers, slaughterpriests now seem even more essential than before. Taking 3 and a bloodsecrator to get the most out of gore pilgrims, which many people will still do including me, leaves only 2 hero slots to take advantage of the new command point system. That means only two out of Wok Bloodthirster, Aspiring Deathbringer, Juggerlord, Mighty Lord, Lord on Daemonic Mount (if running chaos knights), not to mention non-command ability heros like Skarr, Karanak, bloodstoker or an allied wizard who might also be crucial in the new meta.

So in summary, we can summon but its weak and at the expense of other abilities. We can take advantage of the command point system, but our most important heroes such as priests and bloodsecrators dont have command abilities. Its going to be a real challenge to write a khorne list that can survive in AOS2...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Charles said:

Unfortunatley that’s not true though. Ben Johnson said on Warhammer TV that it was widely acknowledged that Khorne needed a substantial points decrease, however they decided to not give it to us because they gave us summoning. . . Which we can only use if we sacrifice our existing allegiance abilities. Unfortunately it just looks like something that was not thought through properly because it’s Khorne and no one in the faithful is bothered because they don’t play low tier armies.

I take that as meaning you sacrifice them by using your points on something else. One page back there is a YouTube screenshot:

Screenshot_20180621-172135.jpg

There is nothing about having to choose before the battle which table you're using

28 minutes ago, Retro said:

I take that as meaning you sacrifice them by using your points on something else.

Yes.

Summoning has been given to us instead of a points reduction. To access that point reduction we have to give up our original Blood Tithe abilities, or we can choose to not access our points reduction.

It's likely that Khorne will enter a long drought.

• GHB 2019 is far, far away
  • there seem to be no direct releases on the horizon
  • it's questionable if something usable for AoS will come with a World Eaters release (daemons are unlikely to be released, Khorgorath might just get a stand alone box and that's it)

49 minutes ago, Agent of Chaos said:

You might be onto something there Charles. I've been listening to the official Age of Sigmar Podcast (Stormcast) and not one of the presenters or people interviewed has mentioned owning a Khorne army.

Pretty sure Russ has a bloodbound army. Couldnt comment on when he last used it.

Ben Johnson has previously done his usual double down on monsters thing, but even more so as he left points in reserve to summon a 5th bloodthirster. Possibly around the time KO launched. He had a fight out vs Ben Curry on the live stream and got his ****** handed to him. Mainly in part to the artifact thing KO have that is anti fly. Im also sure Ben J went on to take that same list to a tournament- south coast perhaps? If he didnt get the wooden spoon, he was certainly in the running for it.

18 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

At 140 I'd still take the bloodsecrator but with inspiring presence being reactive and a few other bravery buffs I'm actually thinking of at least trying some lists without him. Altough the +1 attack will be missed.

I hate crutches, and a model just standing there planting his banner is super boring. It's just that... It kinda feels like bloodsecrators are not just a crutch but both our legs as well xD

Kinda wish he could move with the banner. Like the Fyreslayer one. Then his artefacts would be at least slightly more useful, or at least fun to take. 

I also looked at lists without the Bloodsecrator but in this meta it appears we need to focus on trying to nullify magic, making the Gore Pilgrims an almost auto-include with 3 Slaughterpriests alongside the Bloodsecrator (Assuming rule of one prayer nerf doesnt hit)

I don't want to sound too negative but I view the Khorne army as very unforgiving now. One bad decision/round/even dice rolls can often lead to defeat. Against tier 1 armies, you will have to make correct decisions, roll well and maybe even need your opponent to make mistakes or roll bad. 

However, one good thing I will say is that I have been having a lot of fun playing with the new edition rules in a non-comp environment. Its been carnage!

34 minutes ago, Thomas E said:

I also looked at lists without the Bloodsecrator but in this meta it appears we need to focus on trying to nullify magic, making the Gore Pilgrims an almost auto-include with 3 Slaughterpriests alongside the Bloodsecrator (Assuming rule of one prayer nerf doesnt hit)

I don't want to sound too negative but I view the Khorne army as very unforgiving now. One bad decision/round/even dice rolls can often lead to defeat. Against tier 1 armies, you will have to make correct decisions, roll well and maybe even need your opponent to make mistakes or roll bad. 

However, one good thing I will say is that I have been having a lot of fun playing with the new edition rules in a non-comp environment. Its been carnage!

With magic being more potent then ever this edition, not only do we need to focus on all the anti-magic we can get, but we also need enough bodies to survive the hail of MWs being thrown our way. 

I personally am going to run a Cygor in my Khorne army. Perfect ally at 200pts, it has ranged, can dispel two spells per turn that also damages the wizard, and a decent amount of health to soak up some wounds, which your opponent will definitely want to focus on instead of potentially your mongers/reapers

16 minutes ago, Sieggi858 said:

I personally am going to run a Cygor in my Khorne army. Perfect ally at 200pts, it has ranged, can dispel two spells per turn that also damages the wizard, and a decent amount of health to soak up some wounds, which your opponent will definitely want to focus on instead of potentially your mongers/reapers

That is a great shout, I haven't actually seen their warscroll before! It would look sweet with a few Khorne conversions on the model. 

12 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Yeah totally. It's super strange too, to have a guy that is basically holding the entire army together getting left behind because he can't move. In a super agressive army that needs to move fast...

Also one would expect such a role to fall on a leader not a support guy with a banner xD

I'd be super fine if they went the other direction and instead of allowing him to move just nerf him a bit and buff our core units so he's nice but not mandatory.

As a massive fan of the thematic Chaos design set in the 2000's I also often dont get why Nurgle outpaces us, Tzeentch in this edition suddenly doesnt care where the magic flows from and that skull collecting will likely end up being a better thing for Slaanesh.

A buddy of mine is more positive, but plays LoN and MoN, so I get that. At the same time I still dont really know where Khorne is supposed to excell in. Mortal wounds? But fighting again is done best with Daughters of Khaine now?

As always I aim to be positive and hope Im wrong. I love how we got Karanak but even his design shows the oddity that is too common in Blades of Khorne. I guess Karanak quaries my own Heroes? ;)

All in all AoS2 is a better game. But balance between factions didnt seem to be an design intend.

@Killax I agree the general rule changes are great for AoS 2. 

The problem is unfortunately Khorne have clearly been treated as an after thought and are getting a serious nerf because of it.  I mostly play casual & Narative games but my regular opponent (SCE) thinks we will need to take actions to keep the games fun because he can see he is always going to slaughter me.

I'm finding it difficult to builds lists right now ... I don't play competitive but just building for tough casual games seems like I never get all the toys I want into the list.

I'm currently adding Sayl to my list to assassinate backline heroes. Filling out battleline with cheap bloodreavers  who don't really care about mortal wounds. Then using Khorne marked slaves with Sayl ... currently painting up some knights and gorebeast chariots who do good damage when buffed / whipped before being teleported.

Might also include one of those cheap / easy to cast new spells, got my eye on a couple of them.

Liking the look of this so far, which I think comes to 1820, thinking of another mortal hero to round it out:

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthrister

Sayl the Faithless

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

40 Bloodreavers

40 Bloodreavers

30 Bloodletters

2 Gorebeast Chariots

5 Chaos Knights

Seemingly there are no Rules-of-One in the new GHB, meaning our priests and some other units are somewhat save. (all former RoO are now part of the core rules)

Although I'm a bit scared that GW will revise some scrolls and not only clarify their meaning due to the lack of RoO but significantly change their function. (intended or unintended)

Archived