Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

2 hours ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Q. What is the cheapest / best / most points efficient wizard(s) Khorne have access to?

Specifically for mystic shield.. but other useful spells also welcome.

Went to heat 2, took council of blood. Played things with rend -2. Played nagash twice, he might have taken off 4 bloodthirsters in total, but it was definitely one per turn.

4+ save vs rend 2 is a 6 up save.. So in this case mystic shield is halving the damage. Say going from taking 15+ damage down to only 7/8. Which could mean going from being taken off with out attacking back in combat to maybe getting in 2/4 rounds of combat (factoring in priority and the council of blood hero phase combat).

Pretty sure we could take:

Everchosen gaunt summoner on disc 120pts

Chaos sorcerer lord 160pts

Bray shaman 90pts

Are there any others? Has anyone used a wizard as an ally before? Thoughts?

You can also add Sayl the faithless who can teleport a slave unit if you have them. I am planning on a unit of chaos warriors w halberd and shields and teleport them onto an objective or teleport some gorechariots or chaos knights behind enemy lines.

Also Gaunt Summoner w familiars has the better spell than the one on disc.

I am considering trying some the summoner w familiars plus a balewind. Should give those hoard armies a shock. I also like the sorcerer lord for oracular vision and daemonic power. 

If you are in a magic heavy meta then we can build some fun lists to counter. Wok bt w flesh hounds, priests and secrator to mess up casting plus chaos shrine, lord on juggernaut and knights and chaos warriors to absorb the wounds coupled w blocks of reavers will create quite an antimagic force. Stick an allied wizard for extra laughs ?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

You can also add Sayl the faithless who can teleport a slave unit if you have them. I am planning on a unit of chaos warriors w halberd and shields and teleport them onto an objective or teleport some gorechariots or chaos knights behind enemy lines.

I've been thinking about this as well recently, but the unit is just a sponge. They can barely kill a unit of 5 liberators in one turn... (excluding buffs from both sides)

36 minutes ago, Xasz said:

I've been thinking about this as well recently, but the unit is just a sponge. They can barely kill a unit of 5 liberators in one turn... (excluding buffs from both sides)

I agree, I think I would use them more for denial of an area as opposed to assassinating something . Teleporting a buffed up unit of knights though may be more fun for that purpose though.

Hey Blood brethren,

Going to my first tourney that's coming up mid-May .

Thinking of bringing the following:

Leader

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)

-General
-Command Trait: Slaughterborn

-Artefact: The Crimson Crown

Bloodstoker (80)

-Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood

Bloodsecrator (120)

-Banner of Khorne: Banner of Blood

Slaughterpriest  (100)

-Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest  (100)

-Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)

-Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh

Battleline

30 x Bloodletters (270)

-Gore Drenched Icon

30 x Bloodletters (270)

-Gore Drenched Icon

30 x Bloodletters (270)

-Gore Drenched Icon

5 x Blood Warriors (100)

-Goreaxe & Gorefist

-1 x Goreglaives

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

-Meatripper Axes

Battalions

Gore Pilgrims (180)

1990/2000

Wounds: 152

All inputs welcome.

Also, I can't seem to build a good Murderhost list, can anyone help me with that?

Would love to hear your thoughts on Charnel Host as well.

Khorne daemons I have at the moment:

90 Bloodletters

2 Skullcannons

1 Bloodthrone

1 Bloodmaster

1 Skullmaster

1 Daemon Prince

15 Bloodcrushers

Skulltaker

All four different Bloodthirsters (Skarbrand included)

Just curious. Is there any way to take exclusively Daemons of Khorne and actually get something unique for doing so?

Or would it just be a case of voluntarily limiting yourself to half the warscrolls for no additional gameplay-related options?

9 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Just curious. Is there any way to take exclusively Daemons of Khorne and actually get something unique for doing so?

Or would it just be a case of voluntarily limiting yourself to half the warscrolls for no additional gameplay-related options?

Wondering the same thing myself.

I can't imagine any Khorne list without a Bloodsecrator or a Slaugtherpriest.

47 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

@Son Of Khârn about the list , I'll find points for 5 more warriors ( play a unit of 10 is really strong if you wanna hold objective) and for some korgoraths. Prob korgoraths are our better choice.. They are cheap a they kill many things.. The only problem is how to get model:)

I feel like I'm fine with 5 warriors. If they die holding objectives, they die, I'm here to chill and kill. :P

Regarding the Khorgoraths tho, I have 4 of them and I'm thinking of bringing a unit of 3 in replacement of 30 bloodletters.

That would leave me with 40 points to spare and that leaves me with another question: Did they take out the Riptooth rule that required him to be fielded along with Magore's Fiends?

6 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Not really/no. Offcourse your unit effection with The Crimson Crown becomes larger but as it's range is 8" it isn't like you need that more daemonic units as normal to make great use for it. I feel Blades of Khorne brought us one small standard and that's that you likely want at least 2-3 Daemon units and 2-3 Bloodbound units in every Blades of Khorne army. These units can be Heroes. For our competitive sake I would ALWAYS include a Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker and at least one unit of Bloodletters. 

As can be seen since my first post in this topic, I would never suggest going one on one route. To me at least it means you are certainly putting additional restrictions on an army that thanks to FAQ/Errata has now gone trough a lot of restrictions allready. Even if someone wants to bring out the 'unrestricted' prayers remind them that they only work on a 4+  within 18" and deal damage to ourselfs on a 1. In addition to that the way to improve that is Gorepilgrims but this also is no cheap Battalion not leads to a very easy army composition that allows you to still include a ton of daemons. 

6 hours ago, Son Of Khârn said:

Wondering the same thing myself.

I can't imagine any Khorne list without a Bloodsecrator or a Slaugtherpriest.

I still can see some lists working well without the Slaughterpriest but I do agree, as above, mixing is adding additional restrictions for no benifit. 

Even have to admit that while I eyeballed Bloodbound, (at that moment wasn't convinced of the AoS rulesset, and tbh still arn't on some places) it was Blades of Khorne that hooked me in. The combination of models practically leads to a cooler hobby in my opinion. In addition swapping out some bits and parts only make your army more unique and even more awesome.

It's probably because of the mix that I like Wrathmongers a lot also, you can quite clearly see the Mortal designs blend with the Daemonic designs. 

4 hours ago, Killax said:

I still can see some lists working well without the Slaughterpriest but I do agree, as above, mixing is adding additional restrictions for no benifit. 

Even have to admit that while I eyeballed Bloodbound, (at that moment wasn't convinced of the AoS rulesset, and tbh still arn't on some places) it was Blades of Khorne that hooked me in. The combination of models practically leads to a cooler hobby in my opinion. In addition swapping out some bits and parts only make your army more unique and even more awesome.

It's probably because of the mix that I like Wrathmongers a lot also, you can quite clearly see the Mortal designs blend with the Daemonic designs. 

I love both the mortal and daemon side of the army. I honestly think they go hand in hand.

The main reason I made a more daemon-heavy list is because I’ve mostly painted my daemons thus far.

Also, looks like I’ll be going the Khorgorath route. 2nd Khorgie inc:

B4C0A6B2-5317-4723-8F5C-9B0FA908B82D.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Son Of Khârn said:

I love both the mortal and daemon side of the army. I honestly think they go hand in hand.

The main reason I made a more daemon-heavy list is because I’ve mostly painted my daemons thus far.

Also, looks like I’ll be going the Khorgorath route. 2nd Khorgie inc:

Yeah I agree, I love the blend and I think that in general Chaos Gods don't really care more about their daemonic followers as they do for their mortal. At least for Khorne I think he just wants to see them battle, how and why is irrelevant.  The Khorgorath looks great also! In addition I just wish some of the BoK designs matched their narrative slightly more. It would only require a little bit of tinkering really...

Also, still waiting on that Khorne Forgeworld Dragon to show up! :P 

6 hours ago, Killax said:

Yeah I agree, I love the blend and I think that in general Chaos Gods don't really care more about their daemonic followers as they do for their mortal. At least for Khorne I think he just wants to see them battle, how and why is irrelevant.  The Khorgorath looks great also! In addition I just wish some of the BoK designs matched their narrative slightly more. It would only require a little bit of tinkering really...

Also, still waiting on that Khorne Forgeworld Dragon to show up! :P 

Regarding that narrative to rules thing, I just finished listening to Call of Archaon AB, and on the last chapter there was a Khorgorath that suddenly stopped being furious after collecting a number of skulls and just started marching the opposite direction to deliver all the skulls back to Khorne.

I was thinking how that could be a unique kind of rule to Khorgoraths, like give them stronger statline but after a certain amount of kills (I guess depends on wounds inflicted) they leave the battlefield.

Oh man, I think it’s been a year since I’ve seen that Khorne dragon! Very much looking forward to it.

I’m guessing it’ll be around £300-£400 too. :P

On 22/04/2018 at 6:32 PM, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Pretty sure we could take:

Everchosen gaunt summoner on disc 120pts

Chaos sorcerer lord 160pts

Bray shaman 90pts

Are there any others? Has anyone used a wizard as an ally before? Thoughts?

I think the Gaunt Summoner is the best value, because he's the cheapest of the elite mages (2+ spells per phase). 90 points for a Bray Shaman to simply act as a Mystic Shield caddy seems wasteful to me. Plus the Gaunt Summoner's signature spell is very very powerful.

I've got a Skryre Arch-Warlock and Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith in my Chaos Grand Allegiance lists, but they're of no use to you.

1 hour ago, Roark said:

I think the Gaunt Summoner is the best value, because he's the cheapest of the elite mages (2+ spells per phase). 90 points for a Bray Shaman to simply act as a Mystic Shield caddy seems wasteful to me. Plus the Gaunt Summoner's signature spell is very very powerful.

I've got a Skryre Arch-Warlock and Chaos Dwarf Daemonsmith in my Chaos Grand Allegiance lists, but they're of no use to you.

Which Gaunt Summoner would you lean towards?

What Xasz said. One of the familiars gives +1 to cast which is critical for the 8+ required by Infernal Flames.

Now you need to promise you'll never use that horrific spell against any Khorne-horde brethren mate...   ;-)

What is the best way to optimize the range of the Bloodsecrator buff without having access to the Gore Pilgrims battalion (1.000 points game)?

If I move him forward when I have the first turn I don't have access to the buff up to three turns (potential opponent's double turn) and that puts me at a huge disadvantage.

I heard about daisychaining a big unit of Bloodreavers to get at least the totem buff from their warscroll but that doesn't apply of course to my Blood Warriors or Mighty Skullcrushers.

10 hours ago, Xasz said:

Gaunt summoner with familiars is usually the best.

The Gaunt Summoner with familiars isn’t on the “Everchosen” Pitched Battle Profiles List. Unlike the Gaunt Summoner (on Disc) which is only available to Everchosen.

The unit with familiars happens to be on the Disciples of Tzeentch Pitched Battle Profiles list with the Arcanite keyword (the same as the Gaunt Summoner on foot).

Given that I have yet to see clarification on how allies are handled when not on a Pitched Battle Faction list, be prepared for pushback from opponents if you use the one with familiars and not on disc (and I’m hoping this gets resolved) as Allies.

Either way, you look like you could use a little Change in your life. B| (And anything to paint less red...) :P

Alternately, you could choose from any of the Nurgle Maggotkin wizards (they’re all around 120 points) or the Slaves to Darkness “Sorcerer Lord” (they went up to  about 160).

3 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The Gaunt Summoner with familiars isn’t on the “Everchosen” Pitched Battle Profiles List. Unlike the Gaunt Summoner (on Disc) which is only available to Everchosen.

The unit with familiars happens to be on the Disciples of Tzeentch Pitched Battle Profiles list with the Arcanite keyword (the same as the Gaunt Summoner on foot).

I have to give it to you, at least you are persistent.

7 minutes ago, Roark said:

The guy with familiars has the Everchosen keyword on his warscroll. That should be enough surely..

He just pushes his own, lonely interpretation whenever the opportunity arrives. (since the GHB2017 dropped)

If you are not careful, he'll tie you up in a "conversation" and push it down your throat. The worst thing about it, you cannot disprove him by RAW (neither can he the generally accepted interpretation... but that doesn't matter does it?!)

Nevertheless, this board, most gaming groups and tournament organizers lean towards the keyword-version. So its fine in the end (afaik even GW plays it that way). :) 

5 hours ago, JetBlackSVW said:

What is the best way to optimize the range of the Bloodsecrator buff without having access to the Gore Pilgrims battalion (1.000 points game)?

Not many options available but you could try;

Use bloodtithe to  move him in the hero phase, then drop the banner. Hard to do turn 1 though.

Change your play style; i.e. set-up deep, drop the banner turn 1 and hunker down, let your opponent come to you in order to keep in banner range (situational depending on what your opponent brings and the objectives of the scenario).

Put down a cheeky temple of skulls scenery piece... boom and your banner range is doubled! (obviously depends if you are allowed to bring your own scenery and then you must ensure that you setup up the bloodsecrator on it). As far as I know you don't pay points for it and if allowed you should encourage your opponent to bring their own beneficial piece of scenery to make things fair. 

On that note it would be cool if the temple of skulls was Khorne's equivalent of a  feculent gnarlmaw or gravesite.

1 hour ago, Xasz said:

I have to give it to you, at least you are persistent.

1 hour ago, Roark said:

The guy with familiars has the Everchosen keyword on his warscroll. That should be enough surely..

[...] The worst thing about it, you cannot disprove him by RAW [...]

@Roark I’d play it with any of the Gaunt Summoners, in the case of Everchosen, both the Allegiance and the Pitched Battle profile list names are identical. This is important because you’re specifically looking at p.76 the Allies section:

“The Pitched Battle profile for each faction lists the allegiances of the allied units you can take.”

The RAW is unfortunately contradictory.

RAW, the names in the Allies section in the GHB are the Pitched Battle Faction profile list names ... not Allegiance names.

(It would actually make life really easy if they just went to using the Allegiance keyword for the Allies list.)

If the Allies list is based entirely on the ability to take an allegiance, then you’re good. Having the appropriate keyword is great. ... but the Pitched Battle Faction profile lists for chaos aren’t written that way for all of the factions, and is the case for some non-chaos Allegiances as well. (And GW has never issued a FAQ addressing the issue properly. e.g. There is no “Blades of Khorne” Allegiance, No “Disciples of Tzeentch” Allegiance, Skaven are in a similar situation ... the Allegiance for Skaven is “Skaven <Clan Name>” not “Clan <Clan name>” as it lists in the Allies section.)

@Xasz All we need is a faq clarification and then the RAW changes, and is no longer contradictory and we can all go home happy. :) Thanks for pointing out that RAW, we identified that GW needs to fix their FAQs. 

Agreeing to use an “alternate RAI interpretation” is great. But it is an interpretation (whether or not someone from GW uses it or not is irrelevant.) 

I was merely pointing out that RAW it’s in a contradictory area, and things that are contradictory are good to have a discussion about before play. (Even if that discussion is nothing more than a quick sentence of “this is how I’m doing x, that work for you...”) Wouldn’t you agree?

As long as both players are on the same page about how things will be, then it’s all game on.

In the case of Blades of Khorne, and Disciples of Tzeentch, theres a reference for “Allegiance Abilities” usage hidden deep in the “Warhammer Community Site.” If this is how it should be GW... then just put out a faq.

Its like the plans for the bypass that was going to destroy Arthur Dent’s house...

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’” (Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

If the planning office had made them more accessible ... Arthur would certainly been much happier. (Along with all those humans who were complaining about the earth being removed to make way for an Interstellar bypass ... those plans had been up for the past 50 years when the Volgon Constructor Fleet finally came in to resolve the issue...) B|

Archived