Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

I’m planning to attend a tournament in Gothenburg, Sweden later on this year. This is what I’m thinking of bringing. Using the Brazen rune to nullify one spell per game which seems rather nice considering current possible meta with DoT. Burning Blood is for making stuff just a bit faster. DP is for grabbing an objective and keeping BL:s rr1:s not dependent on the WoK BT.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. :)

Allegiance: Khorne
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
- Trait: Immense Power 
Daemon Prince of Khorne (160)
- Mark of Khorne
- Wings

Bloodstoker (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy

30 x Bloodletters (270)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pompe looks good to me. Dont know how much you need that Daemon Prince but it seems like a nice choice nontheless.

To me the Brazen Rune on Bloodsecrator is more important for the 2++ but if you feel like something needs to be Unbind ****** you can use it for that too.

Good luck!

Thank you for the input. The DP is the one thing that I’m questioning as well. I have been juggling the idea of a second stoker for the “guaranteed” long bomb charge for the BL:s. In that case it would be complemented by a Khorgie or another 10 Bloodreavers. The other option would be to bring a unit of 2 Khorgies, but then I feel like I lack a hero to cap objectives in because three of them are stuck in one place for most of the game (2xSP and Secrator).

A third option would be to give the DP the Crimson Crown and skip the Talisman of Burning Blood. But that 1” will sooner or later make it or break it…and since it’s an 8” bubble it pretty much covers my entire start up. On the other hand a DP with axe and 2xKilling Frenzy is a whole lot of whacking….

The choices is really what I really love about BoK!

Skullmaster on Juggernaut can be a cheap alternative, or additional Slaughterpriest for that matter.

This way the Reavers go to 20 to. Which does seem ever so slighty better to me here.

Im also a fan of Bronzed Flesh. In the 3 Slaughterpiest scenario Id go double Flesh one Frenzy. Bloodletters love Frenzy, Warriors and Bloodthirster love Flesh.

Yeah, I have been pondering possibility the third SP. But that puts a lot of points in a very defensive position. However, I will give the Skullmaster on Jugger a real thought (he still dies from a snow ball to the face though). And I do get your point about making the Reavers 20 instead of just 10. Especially with the current matched play scenarios.

Once again, thank you for the input.

@Pompe I think either way those choices might be a little better, again not by too much but having 20 Bloodreavers instead of 10 actually means they visually are a threat and if left alone can indeed also be capable to archieve something once they reach combat.

I believe that because of the 20 Blood Warriors in your list your allready working towards a quite defensive list. Which isn't to say those units will not search out melee but is to say that their strenght comes from their resilience. Add Bronzed Flesh to both units and suddenly their resilience goes up even further, very helpful.

In addition what I would like a lot about the third Slaughterpriest is that it also improves your damage output by another likely D6 mortal wounds. More importantly one of those Slaughterpriests will roughly stick with the Bloodsecrator anyway because of the added bonus. Then factor in that with Blood Bind you also have more acces to board manipulation. He too benifits from the 180 points you've paid for Gore Pilgrims and I'm always inclined to squeeze the most out of those kinds of Battalion costs. Perhaps even better, it also removes an additional drop. 

Personally I like the idea of a third priest in the gotepilgrims list. But another choice (sorry) is the lord on daemonic steed. He has mortal and daemon keywords, can heal if kills hero or monster, antispell shield. And similar profile to the prince

just unsure how many points

Yeah, you might be right that the list would benefit from a third priest. He could sprint up with the rest of the army and use boil/bind with the bronzed flesh. The few games I have played I have let both the SP:s stay with the Secrator to keep the buff at max range all the time.

Yeah lots of options. I would still say that Im pro 3rd Priest and 20 Bloodreavers because you go from one relevant unit (DP) to two (SP and 20 Reavers).

The Chaos Lord on Daemonic mount is great too but leaves odd points left and due to Gore Pilgrims you cant just skip on Reavers.

Going for another Bloodletter unit is certainly a great option too. What I still love and like here with Wrathmongers is that it adds a bucketload of attacks to Blood Warriors when they wrap them for a heavy hitting unit. However IF another Bloodletter unit is chosen the Bloodthirster ideally should have the Crimson Crown too.

Generally though the smallest step is 3rd Priest, 20 Reavers, have your army be 2000/2000 and field all relevant units.

Ok guys, so I just ordered skaarac and mazarall from forgeworld and I'm trying to build a monster list around them.

This is what I have so far:

Skaarac - 500, general

Mazarall - 360

Bloodstoker - 80

Bloodstoker - 80

Bloodstoker - 80

10x bloodreavers - 70, meatripper

2x khorgorath - 160

2x khorgorath - 160

1x khorgorath - 80

Soulgrinder - 280, warpmetal blade

1990 pts.

So it has some serious alpha strike potential but is otherwise probably going to crumble easily. I'm considering dropping some khorgies for the extra troops. Any thoughts? 

Probably a Newbie question, but which can be the advantage of splitting up the khorgoraths versus make a bigger single unit?

I guess that can be mobility on the field, but it seems to me having less damage impact (more dispersed).

For example, in smaller point list (i.e 1000) is it better to have 2 or 3 separate khorgy or a single unit of 2 or better 3?

Thanks

Big units are great for Slaughterpriest buffs and multiple small units are generally better for Blood Tithe and stacking the morale debuff.

For smaller points and in general Id go multiple singles over the unit :) They are nice for support and such.

1 hour ago, StePava said:

Probably a Newbie question, but which can be the advantage of splitting up the khorgoraths versus make a bigger single unit?

I guess that can be mobility on the field, but it seems to me having less damage impact (more dispersed).

For example, in smaller point list (i.e 1000) is it better to have 2 or 3 separate khorgy or a single unit of 2 or better 3?

Thanks

The warscroll abilities they have-

Bravery debuff & regain wound work a lot better with multiple small units as they would get it per (single) unit. 

Buffing from bloodstoker/priest could only be done on one model though. So you'd have one super korgi & 2 normal vs 3 super korgis.

Plus there is the consideration of how many drops your army is.

Under 1000 points- I would assume you won't be rolling with gore pilgrims, so your probably not going to be banking on getting slaughterpriest buffs every turn.

Battleshock! You don't really care with a single model. With multiple models in a unit if your not immune via a banner/inspiring presence then a bad roll could be quite costly in a small points game.

Manoeuvrability: worst case scenario your unit of 3 is in a line, gets charged and your opponent is sneaky with a single model placement on your flank. With your cumbersome cav bases that 3 inch pilein is going to take you at least one round of combat to get a second korgi in range to fight. 

Flipside- unit of 3 is defo going to take the hit from a charged up celestant prime and then send him back to the sky in return.

2 hours ago, Retro said:

Ok guys, so I just ordered skaarac and mazarall from forgeworld and I'm trying to build a monster list around them.

Skaarac - 500, general

Mazarall - 360

Bloodstoker - 80

Bloodstoker - 80

Bloodstoker - 80

2x khorgorath - 160

2x khorgorath - 160

1x khorgorath - 80

1990 pts.

So it has some serious alpha strike potential but is otherwise probably going to crumble easily. I'm considering dropping some khorgies for the extra troops. Any thoughts? 

Can be really neat and fun. Have to say that I would prefer the use of Skarbrand probably over Mazarall. 

But then again this seems like a mighty fun list and that's the point also I believe. The more Khorgoraths and other monsters the better this list becomes. What I potentially love with Skaarac and Skarbrand in conjunction is the speed your comming with whilst having 2 monsters who have a drastic impact too. 

Be sure to post the army when it's finished though! The look of it should be awesome :D 

45 minutes ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

On an unrelated note, anyone ally in brayherds?  I love the models, just picked some up, and was thinking about working them in.  No real benefit in a competitive sense I can see, but wondered if anyone tried them, and if so, what use they got out of them.

FMB

I am really considering this! But only the ungor  + ungor raiders

One is 60 points is clearly fodder but with a run + charge and 2" range spears you could do something cheeky if the positioning allowed it.

The other is 100pts and has a pre game move and some pew pew. So if you need a bigger buffer outside your deployment zone (Scorched earth) or to pin someone in theirs for maybe a turn give or take (that 3" shallow bit in total conquest)..

They may be worth a go.

Ah well I think there is room for them to include. I think they are fun and okay but also come from a faction that really isnt part of the competitive picture.

If they had Mark of Khorne that would be something. This is why I prefer other units instead. :)

Nontheless, having fun and liking your models is much more important!

7 hours ago, Retro said:

Skaarac - 500, general

Mazarall - 360

Bloodstoker - 80

Bloodstoker - 80

Bloodstoker - 80

2x khorgorath - 160

2x khorgorath - 160

1x khorgorath - 80

1990 pts.

One part of AoS meta at the moment seems to be the ability of handling hordes and bringing small units with elite things makes it harder to for the opponent to pile in and overwhelm you as you can “tag” them in different areas of the horde and make them pile several ways. That way you can string them out a bit and lessen their advantage of mass of models.

A possible adjustment to the list would be to drop Mazarall and go for 3x20 units of Reavers and a Secrator instead. But that would strip it of its theme.

The Talisman of Burning Blood seems to be a nice gem to pick up for one of the stokers as well.

:D:D:D

What do you think the opponent would think if you turned up and put this list on the board?

First turn you run and charge with 3 Bloodthirsters, move the rest.

Second turn you run and charge with Skaarac and 6 Khorgoraths

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)
Skaarac the Bloodborn (500)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 136

Hahahahaha

10 hours ago, gertat said:

:D:D:D

What do you think the opponent would think if you turned up and put this list on the board?

First turn you run and charge with 3 Bloodthirsters, move the rest.

Second turn you run and charge with Skaarac and 6 Khorgoraths

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Skaarac the Bloodborn (500)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 136

Hahahahaha

Depends on the battle plan, but i'd just deploy a bit further back, that's not going to be a turn 1 charge

Yeah still seems like a heap of fun. It's not something I'd go for but I don't own 6 Khorgorath or Skaarac either. I do think the concept has some merrit. But as mentioned before I woul include Skarbrand in this over other random Bloodthirsters for the simple shock factor and presenting two issue pieces in the form of fast Skarbrand and Skaarac.

The Khorgorath's usually will do fine. As mentioned with last years GH2017 I'm still experimenting without Battalions and including Khorgoraths instead. For some scenario's it's neat but having said that I wouldn't be overly into testing it at a higher competitive Tournament level. Gore Pilgrims and Murderhost remain too efficient for multiple scenario's and/or Mortal wound pressure. 

Hi all,

Curious about peoples' "problem solver" units - the thing you pretty much always take, and throw at whatever your opponent brings that 's going to give you headaches.  For me, it's the Juggerlord with Slaughterborn and Gorecleaver.  With the Khornebubble up and the charge, it's 4 attacks on 3+ with re-roll, wounding  on 2s, with a 5-6 equaling 3 Mortal wounds.  How about others?  What's your go-to?

FMB

Archived