Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

Thinking of possibly throwing together a Khorne army in the future. How does this look:

Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Ensorcelled Axes
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
5 x Garrek's Reavers (60)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 147

What blessings/artefacts are you going for? :) Its pretty much identical to my list, but I got an extra 10 blood warriors instead of 3 Skull crushers+Garreks reavers

Personally I'd go for Immense Power and Crimson Crown on the WoK, with Brazen Rune on the Bloodsecrator. You could consider Mark of the Slayer on the WoK instead of Crimson Crown, but if you're planning to do Goreaxes and Reaver Blades, it's partially redundant. Death dealer is not a bad option either if you really want to juice up the WoK BT.

For the priests, 1 Killing Frenzy, 1 Bronzed Flesh, then either another Bronzed Flesh or Resanguination (to target the BT primarily but also the Secrator or Slaughterpriests if they're taking Arcane Bolts to the face).

Disappointed with the warqueen. :(   Shame, I love the model.  And they show her leading the charge for bloodreavers too!  Doesn't make sense.

And nice to see Garrek in a list.  I'm guessing his unit might get undue attention on the assumption that it can do more than it really can. Saek and Karsus' models look brutal. Might have a minor Distraction Carnifax effect.   Anyway, cheapest 5-man objective holder we have I think, right?

11 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Disappointed with the warqueen. :(   Shame, I love the model.  And they show her leading the charge for bloodreavers too!  Doesn't make sense.

Lets see what Battalions they drop along with her.  A rule that gives any mortal units in her Battalion Slaves to Darkness keyword makes things a lot more interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Uveron said:

Lets see what Battalions they drop along with her.  A rule that gives any mortal units in her Battalion Slaves to Darkness keyword makes things a lot more interesting. 

Hadn't thought of that. A bunch of Blades of Khorne models being run as Slaves to Darkness with those faction abilities would open a new world of possible combos. I really hope that's the case. 

3 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Hadn't thought of that. A bunch of Blades of Khorne models being run as Slaves to Darkness with those faction abilities would open a new world of possible combos. I really hope that's the case. 

Yep, but even sure that's not the case it depends on her points, for 70/80 pts she will be fun. 

To be honest, I don't think there is anything she can really offer Khorne here. Even if there is some Slaves to Darkness Keyword 'spread' on other units... Cost make a thing but one of the biggest strenghts we have as Blades of Khorne players remains the relatively cheap and potent choices we have.

So why don't I give her much hope?
- 5+ armour
- Neat against Heroes/Monsters (kinda)
- Cool shield
- Re-roll failed charges for StD

Then we look at our wonderful but still quite rarely seen Mighty Lord of Khorne and we get:
- 3+ armour
- Very scary against Heroes/Monsters with Reality-splitting Axe
- Collar of Khorne
- Lord himself + 3 units get charges made on 3d6 dice pick highest 2D6

So assumming she will be much cheaper (80-100 points would be okayish), which I deem really likely, it still doesn't feel interesting. The thing really is that so far most of the Heralds don't seem that much general worthy. The Nighthaunt's and Stormcast's Command Abilities are good but I highly doubt anyone would really prefer running these types of squishy generals. What I hoped for is that she'd had a improve Rend for Slaves to Darkness units, sadly not the case.

24 minutes ago, Killax said:

Then we look at our wonderful but still quite rarely seen Mighty Lord of Khorne and we get:

I have been running the Might Lord of Khorne a bit recently and I like him! 

I have been considering converting her into  a Might Lord of Khorne, depending on how the kit looks. 

11 minutes ago, Uveron said:

I have been running the Might Lord of Khorne a bit recently and I like him! 

I have been considering converting her into  a Might Lord of Khorne, depending on how the kit looks. 

Brilliant plan! I think that you won't be dissapointed. Plus if you really want to blend it in I believe all you'd need to do is headswap her with Valkia's head and add a Fleshhound.

If you have the pieces left from a Bloodthirster you can also swap her shield with one of his Khorne heraldies. To give that unique looking shield :) 

2 minutes ago, Killax said:

Brilliant plan! I think that you won't be dissapointed. Plus if you really want to blend it in I believe all you'd need to do is headswap her with Valkia's head and add a Fleshhound.

If you have the pieces left from a Bloodthirster you can also swap her shield with one of his Khorne heraldies. To give that unique looking shield :) 

Well her shield Arm could easily hold the 'chains' to the Fleshound. I think the heads fine. A Khonenate Axe may also work. 

But it depends on the models Point cost and how its built.  

I mean with the right pair of wings it may be possible to built a kick ass alternative Valkia out of it as well!  

Even at 60 points she would never see play in a competitive or semi-competitive setting.

Hero-slots are just too valuable, especially for khorne.

As Uveron stated above, there might be some battalion that redeems her but it has to be somewhat broken.

Yeah I doubt the Battalion will be anything too amazing. What I can see happening is that it's a nice bump to Slaves to Darkness but this isn't really the place or space for that discussion.

But I certainly agree, I see close to no use for her. 60 would be a fun filler, 80-100 is the cost I think GW would put on her but in general it doesn't do anything we can't do. Because even at the 60-80 level it's less hazardous to include a Bloodstoker that simply whips a single unit. 

Sure whipping one unit isn't the same as 12" effecting all units but with stuff like the Order Herald by comparison the use for small Hero generals is pretty much gone for Chaos. 

Thoughts? ?

Leaders:

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 140pts

General

Slaughterborn

Gorecleaver

Battleline:

Mighty Skullcrushers x6 280pts

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

Mighty Skullcrushers x3 140pts

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

Mighty Skullcrushers x3 140pts

skullhunter

Hornblower

Standard bearer

Bloodglaives

Warscroll Battalion:

Brass Stampede 180pts

Total = 2000 pts

On 1/25/2018 at 12:16 PM, Pompe said:

What blessings/artefacts are you going for? :) Its pretty much identical to my list, but I got an extra 10 blood warriors instead of 3 Skull crushers+Garreks reavers

On 1/26/2018 at 1:40 AM, Render said:

Personally I'd go for Immense Power and Crimson Crown on the WoK, with Brazen Rune on the Bloodsecrator. You could consider Mark of the Slayer on the WoK instead of Crimson Crown, but if you're planning to do Goreaxes and Reaver Blades, it's partially redundant. Death dealer is not a bad option either if you really want to juice up the WoK BT.

For the priests, 1 Killing Frenzy, 1 Bronzed Flesh, then either another Bronzed Flesh or Resanguination (to target the BT primarily but also the Secrator or Slaughterpriests if they're taking Arcane Bolts to the face).

I have not yet decided on any of my options (not even unit weapon choices). I do not have access to a BoK book yet, so I will have to wait on that. Thanks for the recommendations though. I did manage to pick up a Bloodbound Battleforce for $100 though, so I am off to a good start.

6 hours ago, Killax said:

Brass Stampede is fun. Would go more MSU maby 1-2 6 sized units. But will unlikely create the army in real life.

Still want Daemon Keyword on Jugger riders and Mighty Khorne Lords though...

I was stacking them to get the D6 MW... but 2*3 man will do 2xD3 so lowest MW of those 6 models would be 2 not 1 while having more table presence...

Good call ?

As for Daemon keyword; certainly. I'd love to get WoKBT buffs on them!

I'd make room for a second Khorne Lord on Juggernaut in the Brass Stampede list, and second running them as minimum unit size. Big units are good but your opponent only has to kill one to negate the benefit, and with large base sizes its difficult to get them into combat. D3 Mortal wounds combined with the D3 from the Brass Stampede benefit is still brutal, and can only be negated by wiping the unit out.

Plus then you can make room for other units. Marauder Horsemen with javelins are good for their points (great models too) - with their run/charge/shot rule they can always be a target for the Khorne Lords command ability.

Adding units is certainly an option but to be honest I do see the appeal of keeping it as a one-drop here. The thing really is that Brass Stampede can be really good but also depends a bit on tables and oppossing smaller units to be around. Which they usually are but it isn't guaranteed.

In general though I applaude those who really go the extra mile and collect the army like that. The sad thing is that there is no additional use for that many Skullcrushers though. Which is why I usually would point towards Murderhost and Gore Pilgrims as the choice of competitive build design. That includes all the core tools and gets you models for a lot of army design flexability.

Lastly I also still want to test out a Battalion-less Khorne army this year. Which is the basic design of BT, Bloodsecrator, two Bloodstokers, two Slaughterpriests, three 30 Bloodletters units, 10 Blood Warriors and 5 Wrathmongers. Ton of drops but also quite some resilience. Indeed it's very close to what you could run with Murderhost or Gore Pilgrims but adds basically a unit of Blood Warriors/Wrathmongers on top of it all and I think I like that additional attrition aspect.

In reality other than Brass Stampede and Bloodmarked Warband Khorne has very few good one drops. While I certainly would like the first turn sometimes I still see this interaction with the game as more of a flaw than anything else... Just my bias.

9 minutes ago, Pompe said:

Has it been FAQ:d that prayers don't stack anymore?

No. For nobody so far.

Still dont know if Bloodstoker stacks or not either because that wording is akin to that if the Bloodsecrator but its skipped in the last FAQ altogether.

Blades of Khorne is kind of showing its age too. Some clearity for AoS would often be very helpful. :)

Archived