Wildstalker Brayherd Musings

Cinncinnatus

So I was looking through the GHB and saw that Gors and Ungors are really cheap battleline. Got me wondering if they were a viable option in tournament play. Then I read the rules for the Wildstalker Brayherd battalion and I had some thoughts. Could you build a strictly objective-minded army around brayherds? In other words, could you build an army that simply floods objectives and wins on points? So I started tinkering with a list...

Wildstalker Battallion    140    

Beastlord    80    General, Crown of Conquest, Cunning Deceiver
Bray Shaman    100    Crown of Conquest
Bray Shaman    100    
Bray Shaman    100    

Gors    240    30
Gors    240    30
Gors    240    30

ungors    120  20
ungors    120  20
ungors    120  20
ungors    120  20

Bestigors    140    10
Bestigors    140    10

Total Points 2000

Number of models 194

The idea is to bring the battalion so you have some flexibility with ambushes (as I understand it you don't have to deploy the whole army in ambush mode) but also lets you deploy your entire army in one drop. You use the incredible speed of the brayherds (6" base, extra 2" if near a shaman) to get into the objective zone early. Now, the battalion also lets you take an additional artifact, so you double up on the crown to keep battleshock loses to a minimum. General gets Cunning Deceiver to help mitigate early loses to shooting. 

This army is not designed to to win combats. It's designed to be a flood that the enemy can't burn down fast enough before turn 5. The issue is, if you don't win on objectives you would be assured a minor loss from kill points.

I'm not sure if the Ungors should be all at minimum unit size (this would still fit in the formation). I need to think on that more...

There is a Legacy Standard Bearer model, but I don't think he would help this list much in it's stated purpose as he makes everyone more killy. You are trading valuable bodies for an offensive bonus. Plus, he would need to come in outside of the battalion, so now you have 2 drops.

If you were trying to play them in a more offensively minded way then yeah he brings a lot to the table IMO. Might be worth trading something out for him.

13 hours ago, Cinncinnatus said:

There is a Legacy Standard Bearer model, but I don't think he would help this list much in it's stated purpose as he makes everyone more killy. You are trading valuable bodies for an offensive bonus. Plus, he would need to come in outside of the battalion, so now you have 2 drops.

If you were trying to play them in a more offensively minded way then yeah he brings a lot to the table IMO. Might be worth trading something out for him.

Should have googled before commenting ;) Expected him to give bravery boost in a bubble. 

Beastmen are my go to for cheap battleline. Mostly because I don't own skaven, not for any real stay reason. 60 point ungor are great if your trying to free up points for other fun toys.

As for your list, it looks interesting. Against smaller elite armies you could just stall them out and win in scenario. Personally I think I would lose it trying to move that many guys each turn without trays. That might be why most of my points are tied up in bullgors

I get that completely. I'm pretty sure this would be a fairly boring, and even frustrating, list to play as and against due to all the models to move. Luckily, once you get them firmly planted on objectives you can just stop worrying about moving them altogether. Just sit back and collect points.

I play the wildstalker brayherd on a weekly basis and have done since it's inception, it's an awesome army that has some pretty solid answers to some major threats in the competitive scene.

However, there is one major drawback to them competitively, time. My 2k games take a ridiculously long time, because there are just so many models to move. Awesome if you have the time on your side, but if you have a timer on your tournament rounds, say 2 hours for examples sake, you're rarely going to finish any games, and probably really annoy your opponent.

I play a list that is fairly similar to the one above, with fewer gors and more raiders, but still a massive model count. The first movement phase takes the best part of 20 minutes, and that's with just shoving them, not sticking to tight measuring that would be expected in a tournament setting. Then your charge phase also takes a ridiculous amount of time, and with the 4 inch pile ins it gets horrendously messy very quickly.  Granted, if you can stack the buffs properly on the gors they will rip apart most things that arn't high armour, (3 attacks each, 2s to hit, rerolling 1s, 2s to wound rerolling ones is achievable), but you're never going to get a full game in, harming your point scoring in a tournament. 

Movement trays could be a solution, but then you are massively restricting the best bit of the brayherd, it's movement, and the deployment of your individual models which is all to often the key to victory in AOS.

I do intend on taking my beloved goats to a tournament this year now I've finally got all 250 of them actually painted, but I doubt it would be that competitive because of time restrictions. 

I play the wildstalker brayherd on a weekly basis and have done since it's inception, it's an awesome army that has some pretty solid answers to some major threats in the competitive scene.
However, there is one major drawback to them competitively, time. My 2k games take a ridiculously long time, because there are just so many models to move. Awesome if you have the time on your side, but if you have a timer on your tournament rounds, say 2 hours for examples sake, you're rarely going to finish any games, and probably really annoy your opponent.
I play a list that is fairly similar to the one above, with fewer gors and more raiders, but still a massive model count. The first movement phase takes the best part of 20 minutes, and that's with just shoving them, not sticking to tight measuring that would be expected in a tournament setting. Then your charge phase also takes a ridiculous amount of time, and with the 4 inch pile ins it gets horrendously messy very quickly.  Granted, if you can stack the buffs properly on the gors they will rip apart most things that arn't high armour, (3 attacks each, 2s to hit, rerolling 1s, 2s to wound rerolling ones is achievable), but you're never going to get a full game in, harming your point scoring in a tournament. 
Movement trays could be a solution, but then you are massively restricting the best bit of the brayherd, it's movement, and the deployment of your individual models which is all to often the key to victory in AOS.
I do intend on taking my beloved goats to a tournament this year now I've finally got all 250 of them actually painted, but I doubt it would be that competitive because of time restrictions. 

There was a guy who used brayherd at blood and coin and got 11th(i think) but I can't find his list anywhere. Just heard that he "buried people in bodies",so I guess it's similar to this list

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Can you get any ungor archers in there? I feel like this army would be much better if you could have some minor shooting. Would help with killing 5 wound characters in 3 places of power etc. Even if you took 2 units that'd still only take you to 3 drops

I've tried this - fun army. Not sure on the wording of the ambush rules wether you can do a few units or the whole army has to ambush. 

If Gors were on 25mm bases it would be a lot better - 32mm really sucks with a 1" range. Ungor are excellent as are raiders.

Compendium lovers can throw in the BSB + Gorthor to pump up the damage a bit for the sake of a some models. Making the list 3 drops rather than 1 can be annoying but still the choice of 1st/2nd vs most.

• 5 months later...
On 01/01/2017 at 10:14 PM, Malakithe said:

You know what else has the Gor keyword? Tzaangors...let the upcoming potential fun being...

Says need units of Gors (With an S) , the Tzaangor have Gor (No S) Keyword, so don't think they fit into the battalion. Only Minor detail, but would be same as not allowing Free Peoples Vs Free People. (Empire and Brets)

5 hours ago, HobbyHammer said:

Says need units of Gors (With an S) , the Tzaangor have Gor (No S) Keyword, so don't think they fit into the battalion. Only Minor detail, but would be same as not allowing Free Peoples Vs Free People. (Empire and Brets)

Yeah that is true.  It makes me a bit sad GW is moving to a different direction with Beastmen once again rather than supporting what they have.  

I would have very much liked to have just added a Tzaangor Shaman on a disc or Ogroid to my Warherd.  

Archived