My own Sylvaneth Wyldwood!?

Kimbo

Hi all! 

Since the GW Wyldwood is so expensive... (need like 6 of them) im looking for ways to get something close to it...For a smaler fee.

- If you made your own, how? And how much did it cost you?

- Do tornaments often aprove home made Wyldwood? If its the same sice as the original.

Please help a frustrated and poor Sylvaneth player 

/Kimbo

6 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Ive seen that. Dont really like it.

Is that aproved of? Seems like tornaments would say no? 

If you want something with a base AND trees then GW's one isn't really that expensive, it's actually a ton of resin you're getting. So far anything cheaper I've seen is much worse looking. Good trees from used with trains etc are even more expensive really. Cheaper trees look terrible.

Thing is: it takes me a box bigger than a shoe box to savely transport a single base of GW Trees, which is why I'm contemplating the mousemat since it would be easily transportable.

Can try to cut the base from mdf or plywood (dimensions must be somewhere on google).

Then find some trees you like, or make your own. Place them on a base similar to 32 or 40mm bases from gw, in which you can plce a wide but thin magnet. Place a similar magnet on the base and you can then place and remove trees as you feel like. Which also means you can start cheap and upgrade later.

I intend to do it this way, but also model rocks and sand etc. Not much of a tournament player tho, so i dont casre if it isnt 100% accurate. Needs to look good and practical enough for games. Mind the more rocks and stuff ok the base, the less practical.

29 minutes ago, Stevewren said:

Facehammer GT this year specified you had to have the official GW model for the wood. First time I'd come across the rule. Meant I couldn't take mine as they are home made. 

I can imagine GW tourney saying that, aside from that I think an argument could be made for wanting a near exact baseplate size. Probably depend on whether they use stupid rules like not removing the trees when moving in the woods. IF they say trees block movement.. well then you need the trees obviously. 

Bit embarrassed to post these as I'm absolutely not arty in any way, but these are my homemade ones. I got a template of the base and the tree are is around 47-50mm so I made those raised out of cork bits, covered in flock so they are accurate to where you can/cannot place models. They don't look great on my kitchen table but on the battlefield they match the grass mat we have perfectly so look ok. I'll even admit to having fun making them :)

IMG_3525.JPG

If you have some other bases made out of MDF or the mousepads, put circles on where the trees would go. That was the rules lawyers would have less to complain about. You've met the intent of the Citadel Wood with the trees clearly marked and you won't be ripping off branches, arms, weapons, etc. from your models. Having a Treelord Ancient or a wizard with the Verdant Blessing spell or the Acorn of Ages, you could potentially be putting down a lot of Sylvaneth Wyldwoods during the game. I like the idea of the mousepad material as you can transport more than enough woods to the game without having to rent a storage truck to haul your forests with you. I bought a FAT mat from frontlinegaming.org when they were on sale and was able to get a 3'x3' mat for $35. Cut to the same size as the GW base and you can sprout forests quick and easy.

Nice trees are quite Easy to build by twisting the form from copper Wire or similar. Theb cover them with milliputty or some other material and sculpt some texture on top. finish with foliage. Sounds lot more difficult than it really is and the end result is much nicer than the horrible Gw plastic trees.

Here's an example, just the "bark" is done differently. in 28mm scale you'll want some texture:

Looks nice Jamo, just wondering: is creating that much cheaper than just going GW ?

I tried that once and it looked ugly, I see you use much finer wire which means you can use much more strands for more branching and less ugliness at the junctions. The standard metal wire I find in DIY shops is probably 3x as thick as this.

8 hours ago, Jorthax said:

Bit embarrassed to post these as I'm absolutely not arty in any way, but these are my homemade ones. I got a template of the base and the tree are is around 47-50mm so I made those raised out of cork bits, covered in flock so they are accurate to where you can/cannot place models. They don't look great on my kitchen table but on the battlefield they match the grass mat we have perfectly so look ok. I'll even admit to having fun making them :)

IMG_3525.JPG

Look more than good enough I'd say. But transporting still seems like hell to me.

34 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Looks nice Jamo, just wondering: is creating that much cheaper than just going GW ?

I tried that once and it looked ugly, I see you use much finer wire which means you can use much more strands for more branching and less ugliness at the junctions. The standard metal wire I find in DIY shops is probably 3x as thick as this.

Well that's not my video, but I've used some copper Wire from old computer cables and dipped them in latex paint used for painting walls afterwards, which gave nice result. Copper is bit too bendy for smaller branches, so you really want to have aluminium or some sort of softer Steel. the materials should be quite cheap. You'll get a big bag of foliage for 10 euros and that's enough for a forest. The wire should be really cheap as well for this amount, the problem is just finding a good variety. Hardware stores should have some. Wire is used for many stuff in building and in large quantities, so for modeling purposes the price is very low (although sometimes you'll end up having more than you wanted).

6 minutes ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

If you do a lot of competitive gaming then making your own is risky.

The warscroll for it clearly states that it uses three "citadel" woods. So to take the warscroll you need the official kit.

This sounds silly for me as usually conversions for units are something that people find very positive, even in a tournament setting, but having a nice set of custom made forests (with right footprint etc.) would be something that gets banned? Of course stuff like flat mouse mat is a completely different thing. But well, I'm not a tournament gamer.

4 hours ago, Jamopower said:

This sounds silly for me as usually conversions for units are something that people find very positive, even in a tournament setting, but having a nice set of custom made forests (with right footprint etc.) would be something that gets banned? Of course stuff like flat mouse mat is a completely different thing. But well, I'm not a tournament gamer.

You could put removable trees on a mousemat.. even mark the holes if needed. 

7 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

The warscroll for it clearly states that it uses three "citadel" woods. So to take the warscroll you need the official kit.

Three Citadel Woods make up a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. They are not talking about the trees on the model. When used for game play, the Sylvaneth player can choose to summon between one and three Citadel Woods; you don't have to sprout all three. As long as each substitute Citadel Wood has some area considered unpassable (where the trees would normally be), I don't see where using an alternate material like a mouse pad or MDF would be a problem.

4 hours ago, Mossback said:

Three Citadel Woods make up a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. They are not talking about the trees on the model. When used for game play, the Sylvaneth player can choose to summon between one and three Citadel Woods; you don't have to sprout all three. As long as each substitute Citadel Wood has some area considered unpassable (where the trees would normally be), I don't see where using an alternate material like a mouse pad or MDF would be a problem.

Personally I don't believe in the unpassable thingie either...  but if it's ruled that way then it's ruled that way. It also never says how much trees need to be on the base. Not to mention that the branches COULD block movement (of Kurnoth hunters for example, maybe even dryads since they are reasonably large for rnf troop). It could very well be that hardly ANY sylvaneth model fits in a real citadel wood.... which is why I think using trees as unpassable terrain is odd.  Standard bearers would also have to move around the woods in all cases.

12 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

I think non-GW tourneys wouldn't care as long as the relevant other points are adressed.

Apart from previously mentioned Facehammer, what have other independent tournaments ruled on this? Or do most Sylvaneth tourney players take Citadel Woods?

New to the hobby and whilst not planning on attending a tournament anytime soon I wouldn't rule out going to one at some point. Am weighing up options for wyldwoods - thinking of having 6 bases but not sure whether to make my own, if so using what method, or buy them from GW (that would probably be my whole hobby budget for the year!).

• 8 months later...

Archived