What are your 2017 Objectives?

Marc Wilson

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have said my hobby goals for 2017 would be...

1 - Put together my Ironjawz army

2 - Put together my Khorne army

3 - Put together my Duardin/Human/Elf army project

4 - Finish my 40K armies

5 - Put together a Narrative campaign/event for my local AoS players.

But now, circumstances have changed, and I am much more lacking in funds now than 6 months ago (kids will do that to you ;)).  Plus, 40K became exciting again, and is trying to take my interest, though a lack of funds still prevents me from getting everything I would like to get.  However, we did just get remodeled a room into being the family game/war room, it could stand to have some use...

Now, my goals for the rest of the year (and going into 2018 at this points) are...

1 - Finish my Ironjawz (got about 1600 points to paint up!)

2 - Sell off the models I am not going to be using anymore (they need to go to a good home :))

3 - Get and paint up a 40K Dark Imperium set

4 - Work on terrain and scenery for the gaming room, and try out Hirts Arts moulds (http://www.hirstarts.com/)

5 - Get my wife and step-daughter into wargaming properly :)

One day at a time...

At this point I would like to finish painting and assembling my Dwarf Skirmish Warband. A small goal for most, but I literally have barely anything of mine painted so it's an intimidating goal already for me haha!

A stretch goal would be to finish assembling and painting a "path to glory" sized (or ~1k) dwarf army.

Ive had the stuff all bought, probably closer to a 4K army in 8th, but then life happened a few years ago and I have recently come back to my dwarven army.

Having just got back into the hobby I only have two goals. 

Paint a whole army 

Got to my first tournament. 

More than doable.....i think lol. I just got too caught up in playing games and list building in 8th to paint, so god knows what it will look like xD

Lots to go:

1) paint the Stormboys (over 6k)

2) paint the Liz boys (3k)

3) get & paint Big Bug girl (rest of all Treeboys done; this hits 4K)

4) paint the Bloodboys (6k? - 3 starter kits + but a few dozen done)

5) wash & detail the many old Deadboys (4K?)

6) dig out & bring to life the Manboys of the Empire (3k?)

Tzeentchboys almost done but I have a problem.

My big project is finishing my new gaming board. I have some good stuff (tabletop world houses etc.) ready for me to actually start doing something.

Other than that, my mixed order army has some units bought that need to be painted. Although blocks of infantry are bit frightening :)

I've got a few goals for this year and I'm going pretty well towards getting there.

1) complete my destruction force and get it fully painted

2) get my new celestial vindicators SCE army assembled and fully painted for Blackout in September 

3) pick one of the above to do further work on to make it better than just tabletop standard. I always just end up thinking "that'll do"  rather than giving it a real polish. 

4) learn how to use my airbrush for more than just basecoating 

#######################6 month report#####################################

6 months to to day has elapsed since I set myself some goals, and until this thread was revived in recent days I didn't check them, so.......

1 - I aspire to be fairly competitive.  I'm bald and have a back like a matted fleece, hence I must surely have a testosterone overload. For this reason I yearn for a top 16 rankings place and a spot at the Masters. Can it be done? Maybe if...

A big if; I'm not playing enough to substantially improve from being a kind of 'top third' player and not doing enough tournaments to benefit from some fortuitous high placings. Since settling on my army things have looked up though something big would need to happen in one of the remaining 3 tournaments I'm planning to attend.

2 - My wife and children have photographs of me, surely they can just look adoringly at them for two or three days, six times a year? I'd love to do six 2-day tournaments. I'm already signed up for two so fingers crossed. I have wife points in the bank.

I hit the nail on the head with this one, having done 3 2-dayers and having 3 more pencilled in.

3 - I found in 2016 I had massive gaps between games, these being limited pretty much to tournaments. I really need to go to club nights once of twice a month to keep things ticking over, or have people over at the house. Bit cautious on this one, so will set a low bar at 15 club nights a year.

I've spent more time on various clubs whatsapp groups than I have attending. Even at a good age I'm still just about playing football which accounts for one evening so probably little weekend things are more likely.. or little play dates with semi-locals @Bryan C and @Jack Armstrong. There is a local cub which has just moved to a new location. I've been there a couple of times and AoS is beginning to take off (or rather was, before 40k 8th).

4 - This should be number one really... I need to finish painting my stormcast to a good standard! I don't get a tonne of time at home to hobby so I'm not planning any other armies - that would be wildly optimistic! - maybe a few dips into other Order units. Oh, and add snow to all my terrain. Ultimately, if I get a single 'Best' or 'Coolest' nomination I will be delighted!

Not happening. I've fiddled with my army - mostly speed painted - so many times it looks quite unlike what I set out to do. I'm so bored of dabbing paint on it, and really can't wait to start over. I might even sell it, so I don't have to look at it anymore and feel lazy and guilty.

5 - After relocating to the seaside, I haven't fully unpacked into my hobby room. Sorting it out would be nice, and is desirable but might suffer due to 1-4!

Ha! Worse than ever. Now I've found solace in making terrain the original bombsite has been made worse with half-empty tubs of filler, pots of poundland paint and explosions of MDF dust and flock.

That's me; what about you? :) @Mohojoe@RuneBrush@NaftaliDK@Ben@Double Misfire@StealthKnightSteg@MongooseMatt@Tullbeard@Criti@Rhellion@Arkiham@Kramer@CoffeeGrunt@Lez@cb_rex@Gaz Taylor@polarbear@Countmoore@chord@TerrorPenguin@Carnelian@TalesOfSigmar@Alpharion@Garxia@Bjarni St.@SuperHappyTime@Commander Panda@Odiamh@Soulsmith@AAL@David Clarke@Caffran101@Tuluth@Darth Alec@Chris Tomlin@WarbossKurgan@Kosmion@Rogue Explorator@Requizen@Andreas@tjgreenway@mhsellwood@Ulf@Chrisdanish@Shadowheart@Jamie the Jasper@Xerox@TheWilddog@elfhead@Dez@Mossback@MightyQwan@Nasnad@Nubgan

Like most I have a few goals for this year

1) Finish my Sylvaneth army (well at least get the tourney list painted in 2 weeks!!)

2) Get my Mortal Nurgle Army started and hopefully ready by the end of the year

3) Time permitting get my 40K Nurgle Death Guard army started

4) Get scenery and mat so I can play games at home

Its doable if I pull my finger out 

On 2016-12-21 at 7:54 AM, RuneBrush said:

Reckon we're all going to have similar goals :D

1 - Put together and paint a small Death force in the first couple of months of the year (models arrive Friday), really looking forward to a new play style

2 - Same as 1 but for a 30k/40k Ad Mech force.  It's been "ongoing" for far too long

3 - Sort out my office/hobby room properly, including clearing out some more cupboard space and sorting out my mountain of random models/bits.  This really needs to be #1 but I can't see it ;) 

4 - Paint the remaining 800ish points of my Khorne force so I've a full 2k+ painted

5 - Attend more tournaments, including a doubles AoS event towards the end of the year at WHW

6 - Get more games in!  Finally have a few local people and a club to go to occasionally - hopefully this will also lead into me becoming a better general

7 - Have a better year than 2016 which seems to have been utterly naff for nearly everybody I know

@Marc Wilson Crikey, where have those 6-months gone?

1 - I'm about half way through my Death force (50 Skeletons and some characters), can't see me finishing assembly until the autumn and darker nights

2 - I finally cracked into the remaining bits on three of my Imperial Knights last weekend!  Should be finished in the next month with luck

3 - Cupboards have received their first tidy/cull and am doing a bit of sorting as I get time

4 - Done!  Still have more Khorne to paint, but taking a break for a bit

5 - Tournament count for this year is now 2 with Blackout booked

6 - Game count is below - increasing at a steady rate, though 40k is only at about 3

7 - Seems to be going better than this time last year!

@Marc Wilson Good call

My goals.

1. Devise and play a narrative hinterlands campaign (courtesy of @bottle's rules)

almost ready to go. The skirmish announcement made us decide to wait a bit. And as we want to continue into a path to glory campaign we might wait a bit more ?

2. Finish my current map based campaign. (Always tricky to get four players together, two game days down, 2/3 to go)

One of us had his first kid the day before we planned to play so still looking for those days  

3. Finish a new 1000p very conversion heavy and themed slaanesh army. A lot of progress on paper and the first orders are coming in. 

Close to 400pt done. Lot of finishing touches to do though.

IMG_9595.JPG.6f573952429c0a11ce94cbc49bf5978f.JPG

4. Add a cool centerpiece model to all my armies: Dwarfs, Skaven, Dark Elves and Ogors. 

Ogors got a giant (might add a stonehorn), Dark Elves a dread lord on dragon, the Skaven Screaming bell is in the mail. And the dwarfs might get the anvil of a small KO detachment with frigate, thunderers and a hero.but first the ? 

5. Bring two more friends into the fold. I already have them in my scope. Time to pull the trigger with the afore  mentioned skirmish campaign. 

One is starting to buy stuff so halfway there. ;) 

But to be honest most progress was made outside of these goals. I finished at least 2300 points across all these factions, from dwarf miners, dread lord on dragon, spartan conversions and much more. And also a table worth of jungle terrain. 

Calling me out?  Well....

In the process of

30 blood warriors

15 skullreapers 

5 wrathmongers

All bloodbound heroes

Painted 4 khorgoraths, and a khorne kitbash warshrine.

Soon after I'll be painting 10 skullcrushers

On 21/12/2016 at 1:05 PM, Countmoore said:

1.  Beat bonesplitterz (just once would be ok).

2. 340 rankings points which should get me to masters again next year

3. Lead team England to success at the first AOS 6 nations. 

1. Mission success but only the once mind. Moving to a TZ force for a few months so this may not be the issue it was going forward. 

2. Currently 5th with 329 points. Would need another 80 point event to get the 340 though looking ok for masters. 

3. Mission success. 

I guess my next goal is to paint up the TZ and get some games in with them. 

On 2016-12-22 at 3:48 PM, WarbossKurgan said:

Hmmmm... 2 year old Twins take up a lot of time!

I would like to list actual projects that I will work on but knowing how flighty my attention span has been in the last 12 months makes me think it's fruitless. GW keeps releasing stuff and I go "Ooooh! Shiney!" and get distracted.

Having said that... here's some stuff I might work on in 2017:

• Get some Ironjawz Brutes and make them into BIG pirate Orruks.
  • Convert some 40k Ork Nobz into Ironjawz Ard Boyz.
  • Finish my new 40K Deathwatch army.
  • Finish my 1000 point Tzeentch Daemon warband.
  • Make more Wortbad scenery and build a table-full of new piratey scenery.
  • Make more Necromunda underhive scenery and play an Inq28 style Kill Team campaign...
  • I got some Brutes! I've converted them into Pirates! I haven't painted them yet... Amber
  • I started converting Ork Nobz into Pirate Ard Boyz! I haven't painted them yet... Amber
  • I built the rest of the Deathwatch army (apart from a flyer) I haven't painted them yet... Amber
  • I got the models I need for the Tzeentch warband! I haven't painted them yet... Amber
  • I finished painting two Citadel Woods (bring my total to three), a Numinous Occulum kitbash (The Charybdis Occulum) and a Temple of Skulls / Deathnell Watch tower kitbash (The Freebooter's Tower). They were going to be for the tropical island scenery for my Pirates but I changed direction with the whole project and they are painted to match my Wortbad scenery. Green (and Red for the tropical scenery)
  • I made more Necromunda scenery and I am playing in a second Inq28 campaign this year! (The Guardian's Network followed by The Sal’s Ford ConnectionGreen

In addition to these plan, as expected I got distracted and work on a few other things:

• Court of Spades - completed AoS28 Flesh Eater Courts warband Green
  • The Realmgate Wardens - completed AoS28 Freeguild Warband Green
  • The Slipgibbets - WIP Inq28 Warband for Tor Megiddo Amber

I still hope to make more Necromunda and AoS scenery this year, and I expect to pay in an AoS Skirmish campaign as soon as the Inq28 one is wrapped up. Beyond that (and finishing the outstanding stuff above) I have no idea what the next 6 months will bring, but I look forward to finding out!

But not bad for only half way through the year!

On 21/12/2016 at 3:26 PM, TalesOfSigmar said:
  1.  Finish painting my Khorne Army for Realm Hoppers in February. This will be my best painted army I've ever done - eg Not Drybrushed
    Finished the army and ended up winning best army at the event which I was humbled by. Am currenly in the process of adding extra units to it so it's a competitive Khorne army.

2. Continue to use one army competitively.  Every tournament last year I used a completely different army. Would be nice to get a lot of practice with one army and actually get good with them.
    Been using Sylvaneth non-stop at events this year and actually did well with them! Finished 3rd at Alliance and then finished 13th at the Grand Tournament Heat 2

3. Finish building and painting my Skaven Pestilens army and use it in the second half of the year.
    Unfortunately had to sell this project, reality was I was never going to get around to doing this army.

4. Build and paint models that I want to paint up without feeling rushed. All year I've just focused on painting armies for the next tournament. I want to have time to paint what I want without worrying about getting them ready for an event.
    I've been doing this quite a bit, now have just finished a 2K army for my ventures into 40K (check out my new podcast Legends of the Warp!) but now I'm taking my time on painting Khorne and Archaon.

5. Hopefully host the first AoS tournament for the North East of England in Newcastle in June.
    Managed to successfully do this the past weekend and it was a great success. After a few (probably 10-15 over the past couple of months) dropouts ended up with 20 attendees for the first one and everyone seemed like they enjoyed it and asked when the next one is. Suppose I better get planning!

Stuck to my goals pretty well.

On 12/21/2016 at 6:25 AM, Criti said:

1) Paint an average of 1 model per day.  This year, I only acheived 271 models.  I think I can get to a full 365.

2) Attend at least one organized gaming event per quarter.  Now that I finally have a job that has returned my weekends to me, I have the time to do so.

3) Recruit more players for one of the following: Age of Sigmar, DeepWars, or the Batman Miniatures Game  (at present, I've only confirm 3 other AoS players, and no players for the other games, in my town).

Goal 1 - I have to check my tracking log, which I don't have on me at the moment.

Goal 2 - so far so good. First quarter, I attended a local tournament where I came in 2nd and Crucible Orlando where I won Best Painted and also won 1st in the Team Tournament. Second quarter,  I attended a local tournament where I took first.  I don't know what I'll be attending 3rd quarter, but I'm lined up for Crucible Orlando 6.5 in the fourth.

Goal 3 - no final success yet.  But I have had people at a local shop reach out to me for some private demos through my club (the group at that shop is apparently too "close minded" according to them but they are interested in the game), and I am doing some demos in about 2 weeks for some local students interested in a possible school league.  I am also running a 40k demo at our club for someond new this weekend.  So hopefully this goal will be acheived.

On 2/6/2017 at 11:48 AM, Dez said:

Dwarfs. I'm just sitting here, waiting on the new Dwarfs. Hi Tech Dwarfs please. My only distraction would be Hi Tech Goblins...

I'm also working on getting a gaming group going in a big way!

I've already got over 1000 points painted in Kharadron Overlords, even won a tournament with them!

The Gaming Group is doing really well, we have had several events and they've all gone well. I'd like to bolster the numbers more and spread the word, but some health issues with my family are my priority right now.

On 12/21/2016 at 5:26 PM, Soulsmith said:

1: Paint up all the destruction I have currently to make a sizeable force.

2: Finish Legion of Legends starting in the new year with Ironjawz.

3: Make a Tzeentch force.

4: Beat the local Sylvaneth player.

So 6 month update time then:

1: I'm not sure what I meant by all the destruction I have. I have a gargant, plenty of moonclan, and ruglud's still unpainted, and some metal characters. But I have painted (for me) plenty of destruction forces and got some models off my list I have wanted to paint for a long time.

2: So I did it with mixed Destruction instead, but I did win, so like, double success?

3: I have started! Slow progress, but that's more RL than anything else.

4: Haven't played him again, but have played a lot more games.

Moving forwards, my goals are now:
1: Finish my Ironjawz by painting 6 more ardboyz (they're not even far from done), 10 brutes, and a megaboss.

2: Finish all my current DoT models and then give the army a break. It's been sporadic and essentially just for a low point campaign, but I want a break from them I think whilst I see what happens with AoS.

3: (Prepare for incoming heresy) Give 40K 8th a go. Namely, Dark Eldar, with a Japanese Tattoo influence. All the freehand!

4: Knock out the final bits and bobs I have wip (two gobbo shamans, the arachnaroks shrine, second warchanter).

finish painting at least half of all the unpainted stuff lying around before I buy anything new. Before new elves and/or slaanesh are released!

This is a tricky one, because honestly I don't know how much is half... But I did finally started painteing some of the stuff that's been lying around for quite some time. I at least finished what I had planned for my cult of slaanesh army (it helped that I got to show it on Mengel Miniatures blog). I'm still trying not to buy anything new until new elves or Slaanesh comes out. But I'm not sure I'll succeed in that goal.

Other goals:

-finally write down all the background fluff i've come up with for my slaaneshi elves

This I did, you can read it in my plog.

-improve on my basing

I expanded on the materials I use for basing. I now have tufts, snow effect, cork and tiny leaves to create more elaborate bases.

- Reach 300 followers on instagram (elfhead_warhammer)

I'm at 339! Maybe set a new goal of 500 followers?

So all in all I'm doing pretty good:)

1. Get an army fully painted again, I've barely painted anything over the last year:

Whilst I've not yet done a complete army, I am actually back to painting again, slowly working my way through my Kharadron :)

2. I'd like to attend at least 1 tournament sometime during the year, havn't been to one for a while now.

This is pretty much tied to the above, if I can get the Kharadron done, then hopefully I'll manage to get to one :)

1. Bin off the guilt pile:

Still got these 10 Bloody Death Company to do (really hate black power armour guys, I cant paint it for S$%£).

2. Start another project:

I got myself 1500pts of Stormcast put together, started repainting all my Necrons as a filler project, and looking to start something else new now too.

I'd say I was winning for the most part! :D

Having just remember this as I have had a poke, lets see whats happened.....

1.) Move house so I sort out my hobby room :D 

Not moved yet! Still on the cards and the final stretch but had some hiccups in the chain I'm in :(

2.) Paint up some stuff for that space game

This has started as I'm really excited about the Space Game at the moment. Also organising a one day meet and game event at Warhammer World.

3.) Paint up another AOS army (probably for Death)

Not happened. Still want to do another army but been busy with work and still want to do Death. Plus I'm sort of hanging on now for the next Generals Handbook but I suspect that this will become Shadespire and I'll play that more!!!

4.) Attend some events at Warhammer World

I went to an Open Day and doing a meet and game event at Warhammer World. I did intend to attend one of the AOS Heats but just been having trouble getting the free time. I have managed to do some gaming down the local club and I did attend Alliance 2 run by @Ben where somehow I managed to win Best in Destruction (still chuffed about that!!).

On 12/21/2016 at 9:35 PM, Caffran101 said:

1. Get on with painting this mixed destruction army.

2. Learn how to hobby and look after a new born at the same time.

3. Attend more tournaments.

4. Do better at these attended tournaments.

5. Make less silly mistakes during my games.

6. Improve my painting skills.

7. Try to work with greenstuff, never tried it before.

8. Do more with the model bases.

9. Make some scenery!

10. Continue to make good friends.

Boy did those six months go by quickly.

I am going to play the "Shortly after making this list I became a dad, where did my time go" card.

1. Done to a table standard. There are still many things I would like to do given the time and desire.

2. Well the baby is growing well and I am still hobbying, so I give this a big thumbs up.

3. Even with a newborn I have been lucky enough to attend three 2-dayers (SCGT, Tommy Burns and Smash) and one 1-dayer (Cheltenham SCGT practice). I am lucky to have such a caring wife.

4. Good / OK performances at Smash and Chelt. Tommy Burns was an alcohol induced disaster. SCGT went very very well.

5. Making silly mistakes in about 25% of my games now. Rather than 100%

6. My painting is never going to win any accolades, but I have had some good feedback. I am quite pleased with how the Stonehorn turned out.

7. Tried greenstuff. Never had the confidence to "model" anything out of it. Generally used it for plugging major gaps. Didnt really enjoy using it though.

8. I had a really cool idea of creating ice themed bases (that I still havent got round to doing). My armies bases were rushed very quickly to get them to a table standard.

9. Well I painted some scenery (gates and a forest). And then bought a cool looking skull from an aquarium. Havent actually made anything though.

10. Most definitely made lots of new friends. The community is an incredible bunch of wonderfully friendly people. Each tournament I have been to has paired me against complete strangers (except Jimbob), each of which I got on with and will try and chat to in future tournaments.

Archived