What are your 2017 Objectives?

Marc Wilson

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1.  Finish painting my Khorne Army for Realm Hoppers in February. This will be my best painted army I've ever done - eg Not Drybrushed

2. Continue to use one army competitively.  Every tournament last year I used a completely different army. Would be nice to get a lot of practice with one army and actually get good with them.

3. Finish building and painting my Skaven Pestilens army and use it in the second half of the year.

4. Build and paint models that I want to paint up without feeling rushed. All year I've just focused on painting armies for the next tournament. I want to have time to paint what I want without worrying about getting them ready for an event.

5. Hopefully host the first AoS tournament for the North East of England in Newcastle in June.

Well I have so much I would like to do but here it goes...

1.) Finish my Genestealer Cult army. It was a very weird feeling when I got to play with their full rules for the first time. It was kind of like when you are learning algebra and that sheet finally gets lifted and you understand everything they were trying to teach you. That's me with the cult.  I finally have an army that I feel like I truly understand. Now all I need are a few more units of acolytes and metamorphs and I should be good!

2.) Invest more time to writing articles and battle reports for the wargaming site I write for. 2016 was hectic for me between helping organize a large 40k ITC event and getting married, so naturally writing articles fell behind. I'd like to be more active and help the site grow. 

3.) Organize the hobby room. The wife would love this. I took a pretty good step this past week when I picked up a lighted display shelf (pics over at my Bloodbound WiP thread over in the painting section.)

4.) Play more games! I am still growing our AoS community here so getting games had been a bit tricky but there is enough interest that I am confident I can get a healthy community going. Which leads me into my next point...

5.) Add an AoS tournament to our 40k event. I want our tournament to grow into a multi-game event that can draw larger crowds. With only 40k we had almost 90 people in just our second year.

6.) Start that podcast I've been wanting to do. My only hang-up with this is that I don't know what exactly I would be able to add to what I feel is an already over saturated market. That and I'm not sure what I would make the show about.

Think that's all for me, hopefully I can get a lot of this done!

4 hours ago, MongooseMatt said:

Hmm, let's see...

3. Assassinate an enemy Hero with my Knight-Venator. In 18 months (100+ games) I have not been able to do it...

Well I don't have that many games where I used him, but I guess that would be a goal for me to!

Have 8 games with him and got it down twice to a save roll which got made both times.. So I'm at 0-8 against myself for him.. Normal arrows do some damage, but birdy is the one shining if there is actual damage to be done (of 1)...

Nothing fancy in here, but would be more than happy with just:

1. Finish (and start!) painting my 2000 pts Ironjawz army. That would be my first painted army and want them look good.

2. Find a regular group to play here. Playing a tourney would be great to boot.

3. Painting my Blood Bowl team, playing some tabletop BB games.

#1: Finish painting my "Bloodbound & Friends" army.

#2: I am horrible at getting painting done, a stark contrast to how I excel at getting excited for all the myriad ways I could possibly paint and play with the many, many models I buy (and want to buy). I want to at least partly reverse this.

#3: Find a happy middle ground between trying to improve my painting and actually getting the painting I need to do done.

#4: Get my girlfriend to come to club nights/events and play. I introduced her to the hobby this summer after we started playing Total Warhammer together (I hadn't touched WH since a while before End Times). She has two armies already but doesn't feel comfortable gaming with others.

#5: Go to more club nights.

22 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

#4: Get my girlfriend to come to club nights/events and play. I introduced her to the hobby this summer after we started playing Total Warhammer together (I hadn't touched WH since a while before End Times). She has two armies already but doesn't feel comfortable gaming with others.

It can depend much on the setting people game in, some clubs are more friendly than others. Some people aren't much for clubs even when they're available, but like playing among friends or partners at home.

If you're playing with your GF at home, is there anyone from the club who you're friendly enough with to invite for a game at home? Getting to know people from the club in a more comfortable space might help break any ice or stigma, plus it gives a familiar face other than yourself for when they're down the club, someone to help bring them into the fold. 

At least, that's what works in my experience. :)

1. Reel in the engagement hook and get married.

2. Move out of my cramped 1B1B apartment and into a spacier place.

3. Not let work bog me down during another month I plan a painting project.

4. If I don't get a cheap airbrush for Christmas, get one and figure out how it works.

5. Build about the same (~4000 points, I'll make that pretty easily with what is unopened)

6. Paint More (a few Warmachine models)

7. Spend Significantly Less (I'd guess I spent $4000 in models this year. If I spend only $1000, it's a success)

8. Make more hobby opinion videos. Like the world needs more.

9. Play more games.

1. I'm moving to my new house, and while there isn't a games room there is a shed with power that could easily be turned into a man cave/gaming shed. Room for a 6*4 table and maybe painting desk.
2. 1k Dark (A)Elves army. 1st AoS army. Got everything for at least 1k points but need one more chariot for an even 1000 points list I've got written.
3. Actually play AoS. TGA has convinced me to get onboard the Sigmar train but as yet I've not played. I do have Ogres on square bases but I'd really like to use rounds. BTW I live near Manchester, UK if any TGA'ers are local.

Last year my goal was hobby focused by trying to paint 1 model per day average.  I am currently at 410 models for the year!

For 2017 I would like to do more with my competitive nature:

1) Attend more Grand Tournaments

2) Podium in the majority of events I attend (narrative or tournament)

3) Commit to a faction and learn it inside and out

I was actually just thinking about this while painting last night!

1. Get better at painting. I just started this hobby sometime in early November and while I have made a lot of progress I am still nowhere near where I would like to be.
  2. Wait for a shadowkin release and grow my Dark Aelf army to where I want it to be.
  3. Pick up a 2017 army release in another faction and create a 1000 point army for it
  4. Attend a tournament and get my competitive feet wet
  5. Grow the hobby in the New England area where I live
  6. Finish my kill team army
  7. Learn to do conversions and advanced modeling techniques.

1. Get on with painting this mixed destruction army.

2. Learn how to hobby and look after a new born at the same time.

3. Attend more tournaments.

4. Do better at these attended tournaments.

5. Make less silly mistakes during my games.

6. Improve my painting skills.

7. Try to work with greenstuff, never tried it before.

8. Do more with the model bases.

9. Make some scenery!

10. Continue to make good friends.

I'm going to keep my goals more realistic (for me):

1. Get more games in! Between moving, and the closest hobby places being a 2 hour drive away, I've gotten only 2 games in during the last 6 months!
  2. Expand my Ironjawz force (Bigrippa's Bullywaaaghs), and finally pick up that Mawcrusha I've been looking at.
  3. Paint! My scenery pieces need finishing. I'm still trying to get a good Waaagh green color for my Balewind Vortex.
  4. Play around with my early Christmas present of an airbrush set, and complete some pieces with it.
  5. Start assembling my Tzeentch force.
  6. Pressure the wife into assembling her various Aelf and Sylvaneth forces so I can scrimmage against her.
  7. Maybe enter a tournament. Maybe.

Lot's of great ideas here. Seems like "finish an army" keeps popping up. Shame it's much easier to buy new armies than to finish painting them!

As for my list...

1. Launch and make new secret AoS hobby project a success.
  2. Finish the End Times Battletome to a near-GW standard.
  3. Paint at least 2 seperate 1k armies.
  4. Continue to make the internet side of the community a great place to be (through modding and various forum-projects)
  5. Build my local community into the best I can, for now.
  6. Try to maintain a blog...

Cool thread @Marc Wilson!

After 2016 being genuinely my favourite/best year in Warhammer I am certainly looking to ride the wave into 2017.

There's a load of sensible things I could list around the podcast, my own events, painting/gaming achievements etc, which are all very important to me. But in short I can summarise with one objective that encapsulates my hobby;

BE THE MEGABOSS

Hmmmm... 2 year old Twins take up a lot of time!

I would like to list actual projects that I will work on but knowing how flighty my attention span has been in the last 12 months makes me think it's fruitless. GW keeps releasing stuff and I go "Ooooh! Shiney!" and get distracted.

Having said that... here's some stuff I might work on in 2017:

• Get some Ironjawz Brutes and make them into BIG pirate Orruks.
  • Convert some 40k Ork Nobz into Ironjawz Ard Boyz.
  • Finish my new 40K Deathwatch army.
  • Finish my 1000 point Tzeentch Daemon warband.
  • Make more Wortbad scenery and build a table-full of new piratey scenery.
  • Make more Necromunda underhive scenery and play an Inq28 style Kill Team campaign...

Archived