Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

It’s impossible to overstate how bad the deletion of Split is. The army has lost its best mechanic and the new summoning (esp as it’s end of next movement phase) is pretty feeble. It’s the worst change in AoS 2.

I think Enlightened/Spamgor/Knights in Fatesworn are the ways to go. Chicken at 380 is ridiculous too - such a big turn one liability.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Countmoore said:

For me I’m going to wait till I’ve got everything in hand and Azyr has been updated hen I’ll have a play but 

1. New splitting is not a defence move now.  It’s an objective grab / board control ability that can and will be ****** down by a good player. 

2. Changehost will struggle I think to maintain the number for the double swap due to new points and this is needed to more often than you would think. 

3. Tzeentch armies will most likely be salves to darkness armies to be competitive as they have escaped pretty well. 

4. Nagash will single handedly stop a TZ list. Dead. 

The new Nighthaunt have this banshee unit that can unbind a spell per 4 models in the unit and if they do they get stronger in combat. A couple small units of those will shut down most magic lists

3 minutes ago, Nico said:

It’s impossible to overstate how bad the deletion of Split is. The army has lost its best mechanic and the new summoning (esp as it’s end of next movement phase) is pretty feeble. It’s the worst change in AoS 2.

I think Enlightened/Spamgor/Knights in Fatesworn are the ways to go. Chicken at 380 is ridiculous too - such a big turn one liability.

This....yeah Fatesworn with cheap Acolytes to fill supported by Tzaangors and whatever looks like it will be one of, if the only, way to go

Does anyone know if adding models to a unit to increase it's unit size beyond starting number is/will be allowed? If it was previous you'd have paid for it but with new rules (if it's allowed) I guess you wouldn't.

Example: 10 pink horrors, 1 dies, roll 1 in battle shock phase and then roll a 5 to regenerate (icon bearer). Is it breaking any rule to add 5 models and make it a 14/20 size unit?

My guess is that there is a rule somewhere preventing it but so many books and erratas now I don't know where to look!

13 minutes ago, Gilby said:

Does anyone know if adding models to a unit to increase it's unit size beyond starting number is/will be allowed? If it was previous you'd have paid for it but with new rules (if it's allowed) I guess you wouldn't.

Example: 10 pink horrors, 1 dies, roll 1 in battle shock phase and then roll a 5 to regenerate (icon bearer). Is it breaking any rule to add 5 models and make it a 14/20 size unit?

My guess is that there is a rule somewhere preventing it but so many books and erratas now I don't know where to look!

Might come in the GHB, but for now there are no such restrictions as far as I have seen.

11 hours ago, Gilby said:

Definitely not in matched play as they said on WHTV but not sure where that is written. 

How do we think is the best way to maximize the new free summoning? This seems to be the best way to get the points advantage back we lost in the increase. This is where i am at with it at the moment:

Lord of Change - 380 (2 spells and +1 to cast reroll 1s bubble)

Kiaros Fateweaver - 380 (2 spells and can summon chaos spawn)

Guant Summoner - 180 (2 spells,  could be swapped for Curseling?)

Ogriod Thaumatuge - 180 (1 spell and can summon pink horrors!)

Magister - 140 (1 spell and can summon chaos spawn, could swap for tzaangor shaman/blue scribes?)

10 Pink horrors - 200 (1 spell and split summons)

cogs - 60 (+1 spell)

balewind - 40 (+1 spell)

Gemoids - 40 (seems good)

2000/2000pts

With this build your casting 13 spells a turn and you can cast without targets so can have 26 summoning points on the second turn without whatever your opponent is casting and more spells coming out of the increasing units of pinks! i see this as you dropping more horrors every turn and flamers, screamers + chariots every other turn.

Just sit with a big box of pink , blue, brims, flamers, screamers, chariots and summon away!

So a couple of thoughts:

First, assuming the warscroll remains unchanged, do we think the Thaumaturge is now the MVP? Now, his spell (in addition to doing 6 mortal wounds!) will summon an average of 70 points-worth of models per turn (3.5 x 20pts per horror). Not to mention that those horrors get to blast off their own spell and contribute more summon points. 

Second, do we think that Malign Sorcery is going to part of "baseline" competitive AoS? I.e. if you're showing up at the store to play a random competitive game, do you think its safe to include Endless Spells, or is that something that needs to be discussed and agreed on every single game? If they are "baseline" then there are some that are just absolute no-brainers in a Tzeentch army. For instance, just bouncing all your wizards up and down on a Balewind on turn 1 when they're out of range to do anything useful is an amazing way to rack up summon points for 40 points. Or the spell portal is a great way to still blast opponents with non-unbindable mortal wound spells, despite the increase to unbind range. I imagine that 1 or 2 of these would be taken in every Tzeentch list.

8 hours ago, BillyOcean said:

So a couple of thoughts:

First, assuming the warscroll remains unchanged, do we think the Thaumaturge is now the MVP? Now, his spell (in addition to doing 6 mortal wounds!) will summon an average of 70 points-worth of models per turn (3.5 x 20pts per horror). Not to mention that those horrors get to blast off their own spell and contribute more summon points. 

Second, do we think that Malign Sorcery is going to part of "baseline" competitive AoS? I.e. if you're showing up at the store to play a random competitive game, do you think its safe to include Endless Spells, or is that something that needs to be discussed and agreed on every single game? If they are "baseline" then there are some that are just absolute no-brainers in a Tzeentch army. For instance, just bouncing all your wizards up and down on a Balewind on turn 1 when they're out of range to do anything useful is an amazing way to rack up summon points for 40 points. Or the spell portal is a great way to still blast opponents with non-unbindable mortal wound spells, despite the increase to unbind range. I imagine that 1 or 2 of these would be taken in every Tzeentch list.

It absolutely will be baseline for the competitive scene. Ironjawz players are already discussing turn 1 charges with cogs lol balewind is still good as is the portal

32 minutes ago, Paxter said:

dont know if this has been shared here but... the gaunt summoner technically comes with free 10 pinks 

This rule will most likely be ignored by tournaments and possibly even in casual matched play. Therefore no one is talking about it that much.

Not to mention that you need an actual realmgate on the table.

Endless spell wise... Balewind still seems worth it? +1 save, +1 spell & 6 range seems worth the investment. Spell portal seems limited in use, we don't have a Nagash that can stand next to maximise it. Though I guess you could clump deploy wizards to all use and spew out MWs turn one? 

It's risky obviously as your opponent can cast back through it, though I guess if the case where that risk is too great you can just not put the portal up. 

Though throwing out Curseling, Orgroid, LoC, GS MW spells turn one seems pretty bloody nasty.

Work is slow so I thought I'd try and do a Fatesworn Warband, using the portal. 

Lord of Change - 380
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch - 180
Magister - 140
Magister - 140
Magister - 140
Orgroid - 180
Curseling - 160

Kairic Acolytes - 80
Kairic Acolytes - 80
Kairic Acolytes - 80
Kairic Acolytes - 80

Spell Portal - 60
Fatesworn Warband - 160

The list has 280 points left. You could add a Balewin and 3 Skyfires to attempt to snipe some heroes, though I feel like with look out sir there value drops. You could go for 2 lots of blue horrors and a bale wind, or just go for pinks and a balewind. I guess you could also add  4 x 10 Brimstone horrors, for objectives but that seems a waste.

The list can cast 10 spells, as well as 6 free arcane bolts. 

2 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

Well the Fatesworn Warband allows you to bypass the rule of one for Arcane Bolt.

It's just that at the local store the rule of one trumped everything, just like no free units(back then, that is) just wondering.

Archived