Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

Coming from a different angle (brayherd), but depending on the melee warscrolls that are released, my friend pointed out that they have the Gor keyword so could get an extra attack with each melee weapon under the Furious Brayherd.

Could be good with the melee weapon presumably being nice, +1 attack for beak and the disc.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkBlack said:

This worries me. Having all the points in one book enables all of them to be updated together and avoids the situation where army books of different ages are not balanced.

I don't think so. 

What i think is, they are going to be updated again in general handsbook 2.0, 3.0 etc, and the latest release null the old point versions. 

Whilst the rule of one could potentially overrule the Tzaangor's ability to cast the same spell twice, one thing I find interesting is you can easily take a daemon spellcaster and a mortal/arcanite spellcaster,  using different lores, and therefore potentially cast two powerful and/or similar spells. Which personally I think is good, Tzeentch should, at least in my mind, be the spellcaster force, challenged only by slaan.

Given the FAQ answer re Kroak, it cannot cast the same spell twice in matched play (which is a good thing). The magic rule of one looks better and better with hindsight.

I'm pleased to see that the Enlightened seems to be a melee Knight Unit.

Coming from a different angle (brayherd), but depending on the melee warscrolls that are released, my friend pointed out that they have the Gor keyword so could get an extra attack with each melee weapon under the Furious Brayherd.

Could be good with the melee weapon presumably being nice, +1 attack for beak and the disc.

It will be interesting if any of the Battalions allow you to take "Chaos units" in the manner of Gnarlroot or Winterleaf Wargroves for Sylvaneth. This could allow for the Gor buffs potentially (while keeping Tzeentch Allegiance.

9 hours ago, Nico said:

Given the FAQ answer re Kroak, it cannot cast the same spell twice in matched play (which is a good thing). The magic rule of one looks better and better with hindsight.

I'm pleased to see that the Enlightened seems to be a melee Knight Unit.

But you can cast the same spell multiple times already in narrative and open. If this doesn't apply to matched play why is it there? Matched play is the only place that restricts such things. 

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

There is a few instances of rules saying can be cast multiple times which you can't in matched play.

As much as it might be annoying, just remember, the meta would be Kroak if not. Also, especially the enlightened on warhammer community, does anyone think the paintjobs are so-so? The highlights seem very harsh and thick, and the purple wash on the weapon isn't subtle - bit pooled even.

13 hours ago, DarkBlack said:

This worries me. Having all the points in one book enables all of them to be updated together and avoids the situation where army books of different ages are not balanced.

Yeh this is one single thing I wasn't totally sold on personally. I like having the points all in one place, makes updating them much cleaner. Will reserve judgement for now though as the rest was so cool.

I'm also not gonna start bemoaning another amazing ranged unit as it would purely be out of jealously and I'm sure I'll get my heavy crossbow armed Brutes one day! ;) 

Really love the look of both the models and rules...this release is going to be huge. Bits and Kits (online component seller) has a 50% sale at present, so I went ahead and ordered the following last night;

• Silver Tower Gaunt Summoner
  • Ogroid Thaumaturge
  • 30 Silver Tower Tzaangor
  • 24 Kairic Acolytes

I also got a bunch of bits from the 40k Tzaangor kit - banner, horn, various weapons so I can add a bit of variety to those 3 Silver Tower poses. Will probably pick up a further box to add more diversity.

Still, its a lot of models and gives me a pretty solid base for an army. Will buy the Shaman and 2-3 boxes of Skyfires/Enlightened when they come out as well.

At the moment I don't know whether I'm bandwagoning myself or planning to paint the army quickly to a decent gaming standard to sell and capitalise on said bandwagoners. If you fancy an army but don't want to paint it, get in touch and you may be able to help me make my decision!!

23 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Really love the look of both the models and rules...this release is going to be huge. Bits and Kits (online component seller) has a 50% sale at present, so I went ahead and ordered the following last night;

• Silver Tower Gaunt Summoner
  • Ogroid Thaumaturge
  • 30 Silver Tower Tzaangor
  • 24 Kairic Acolytes

So that's where the rest of the Tzaangor went!!! >:( ;)

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

As much as it might be annoying, just remember, the meta would be Kroak if not. Also, especially the enlightened on warhammer community, does anyone think the paintjobs are so-so? The highlights seem very harsh and thick, and the purple wash on the weapon isn't subtle - bit pooled even.

depends if it was done by eavy metal or the army painter lot, i got the impression that some of their armies are being sent out for test play and painting now by a select few, and those models are pictured, from the table top they likely look fine but up close and personal to the micro detail, they look not as well done, 

remember this are in an army, not golden demon winners :D

2 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

But you can cast the same spell multiple times already in narrative and open. If this doesn't apply to matched play why is it there? Matched play is the only place that restricts such things. 

In the core rules, under "casting spells" it says "...A wizard can only attempt to cast each spell once per turn".

The ability also allows a second spell (instead of the one per term stated) and a reroll.

I don't see how the points being in this book necessarily indicates that they won't be updating them in the next generals handbook or whatever. That will just update them from this book, instead of the last generals handbook if needed. This book is almost like a points update between generals handbook 1 and generals handbook 2. 

I agree.  If we assume that there will be a new GH approximately once a year, these new Battletomes will allow GW to release new models (what we all want!) and allow them to be used in Matched Play straight away.

Of course, another way of dealing with this would have been to release the GH just in a digital format, and add the points to that each time.

Oh yeh, I agree totally. I still think they'll be updated for sure (if necessary), but it means the Battletome itself would then include outdated info.

To me, having a GHB each year (or however frequent) with all the current points values is just a lot cleaner as then all the old info just cycles out and isn't confusing, especially for newer players etc.

It'll be fine I'm sure :) 

Archived