The 1k army project, are YOU in?

Darth Alec

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First batch of 5 Seekers finished and sprayed. In the end I made and printed a Slaanesh symbol to hang around the neck of a mount for the banner. Here are some pics, you can just about see the banner and the skull playing a horn for the musician. The 3D printing process resulted in a pretty neat texture on the bases I think, perfect for the swirling sea of chaos I imagined them running through.

Great to see so many people are signing up and I can't wait to see everyone else's progress (I definitely need the motivation before I am sidelined into more new shiny stuff).

Seekers01.jpg

Seekers02.jpg

I've just had a look at the plastic Seekers on the GW website, looks like those come with long thin bases that look to me like cavalry rectangles with rounded edges. Mine are the Made to Order metal Seekers and they came with larger ovals. Seems a little odd that they would do it that way :/

Oh, GW. You silly billies. My OCD will be going off the chain when they arrive for Xmas.

Edit: I can guess why - all new models are on this oval base rather than the rectangle one. Probably retiring that base type. So it's right, but also wrong.

1 hour ago, swiftmus said:

I've just had a look at the plastic Seekers on the GW website, looks like those come with long thin bases that look to me like cavalry rectangles with rounded edges. Mine are the Made to Order metal Seekers and they came with larger ovals. Seems a little odd that they would do it that way :/

Oh cool - you've received yours then?  Not heard anything about mine

I ordered some for myself on about the day the orders opened, then a couple days later we ordered some more for my christmas present. The later order came last friday/saturday and the earlier order was dispatched today, so perhaps they were building the last orders first. For information, I'm in the UK and each order consisted of one box each of daemonettes and seekers.

Boy am I glad that I'm getting a desk lamp for christmas, it's still light outside but too dark to do any more painting already. Initial stages on the Seekers are looking quite good, aiming for a quick and simple scheme and I want the results to be nice and bright. I'm doing the mounts purple and the 'nettes will be purple wash over white and then painted back up to white. Not sure what colours to do the scant few pieces of armour and I'm toying with doing the weapon blades red rather than metallic, they are demons after all who knows what exotic materials they may use. 

Additionally, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what colours to do the bases, right now the purple stands out really well against the white base coat so I'd like to maintain that contrast in the finished result. Again, the bases are meant to depict roiling chaos energies so I'm not restricted to more traditional basing colours.

5 hours ago, swiftmus said:

I ordered some for myself on about the day the orders opened, then a couple days later we ordered some more for my christmas present. The later order came last friday/saturday and the earlier order was dispatched today, so perhaps they were building the last orders first. For information, I'm in the UK and each order consisted of one box each of daemonettes and seekers.

Exactly the same for me. First order arrived today, the order I placed three days later arrived two days ago. The only difference is I live in the Netherlands. 

5 hours ago, swiftmus said:

Additionally, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on what colours to do the bases, right now the purple stands out really well against the white base coat so I'd like to maintain that contrast in the finished result. Again, the bases are meant to depict roiling chaos energies so I'm not restricted to more traditional basing colours.

Do you have a theme for your army? Or what's the type of battlemat/table you play on the most often? That might help tie it together...

On the rare occasions I get to play I only have a plain brown painted table with some hills made from piles of mangas :P

Don't really have a theme as such, the army is mixed mortals and demons, Slaanesh for now but I'd like to add some other gods in future. The seeker mounts are quite dark but the daemonettes on foot will be very pale so the bases need to contrast.

I'm thinking maybe a purple tinged grey.

22 hours ago, swiftmus said:

On the rare occasions I get to play I only have a plain brown painted table with some hills made from piles of mangas :P

Don't really have a theme as such, the army is mixed mortals and demons, Slaanesh for now but I'd like to add some other gods in future. The seeker mounts are quite dark but the daemonettes on foot will be very pale so the bases need to contrast.

I'm thinking maybe a purple tinged grey.

Yeah I would either go otherworldy, pickish/purple add some puples or wierd scratches (Wyrdstone green). Or go brown with rocks so they look better with the table (kind of barren world style)

I think Im in, atleast if I get my back working all fine again :P

- Recently started Sylvaneth so they would be an obvious choice, gotta try and figure out a list.

- Ive got a load of painted Nurgle chaos, gotta count those and make up a list for them too and add more/switch something to some new stuff.

- I have to Stormcasts started, will have to see if I find time for those and mayhaps some Khorne Bloodbound as well.

helluva lot to do but definately doable if my back is gonna let me.

I'm in with 3 Destruction Armies

The first is based on the Start Collecting Greenskinz-Box:

Leaders
Orruk Warboss
Orruk Great Shaman

Units
Orruks x 10
Orruks x 10 (with Bows)

Orruk Boarboys x 5
Orruk Boar Chariots x 1
Fellwater Troggoths x 3

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant

Total: 1040/1000

Second: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman

Units
Orruk Ardboys x 10
Orruk Brutes x 5
Orruk Brutes x 5
Orruk Gore Gruntas x 3

Total: 980/1000

And Bonesplitterz:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet
Savage Big Boss
Wardokk

Units
Savage Orruks x 10
Savage Orruk Morboys x 10
Savage Orruk Arrowboys x 10
Savage Boarboy Maniaks x 5
Savage Big Stabbas x 2
Savage Big Stabbas x 2

Total: 1000/1000

I've finished my first 5 Seekers of Slaanesh but still need to paint the bases.

Pictures didn't come out that well (taken with my phone) but they show the overall appearance. I was aiming for a quick paint scheme so they are very much intended to be tabletop quality, I think they look pretty good just don't look too closely :P.

Santa brought me everything I asked for and yesterday I assembled 10 Chaos Warriors, the Herald and the Keeper of Secrets. The Keeper is next up for spraying and the next big job is to 3D print a load more bases for the Daemonettes and Warriors.

The original plan was to give the Warriors purple armour but I think now I'm going to paint them in a generic chaos scheme so that I can use them in any flavour of chaos army in future. Currently thinking bone armour with copper trims.

Seekers03.jpg

Seekers04.jpg

Seekers05.jpg

Metal miniatures. The currywurst for putting together. Seekers didn't have slot bases so they will be a joy to glue down. 

But the old Daemonettes do look great:C0nWZjCXEAUYIJp?format=jpg&name=large

Going to treat them with those fancy AoS bases once done. Will definitely need to pin 'em down. 

Ah yes, the Made to Order seeker bases :P

Since my texture tops are 3D printed, I printed them with a slot in the design. After gluing the top to the base we then used a dremel to drill the slot into the main base. I can see it being awkward without having a slot already there to guide the cutting though. 

I went out to spray the Keeper of Secrets today and my can decided Boxing Day was the best time to clog up and stop working. I did remedy the issue with a fresh can from Wilko (£3.95!) and so i'm now ready again to spray more Slaanesh. Now I just need to print like a million more base tops and I'll be ready to start painting some more.

Googled up some points for my Sylvaneth army and this is what I quickly ended up with mainly just by using the minis I already own.

Drycha

Branchwraith

10 x dryads

10 x dryads

10 x spite revenants

3 x kurnoth hunters

No idea if its any good gamewise but seems like a fun list and I dont have to buy anything.

10 dryads are painted and one hunter so far :) so it shouldnt be much of a chore.

On 18/12/2016 at 10:12 PM, Darth Alec said:

I've already committed to making a 1000 point Skaven army. Mini's bought and built! Looking forward to crack into this in 2017. Who's with me?

Not me I'm afraid.

Whilst I don't mind playing the odd 1k game, I'm much more interested in larger games.

I do think though that gw is trying to not so subtly push the playerbase down this 1k route. The new factions we've seen are miniscule in terms of troop variety and only don't get stale if you play smaller games with them. Then we've had GW's release of 4x4 gaming mats which are not especially ideal for larger games,  and overall models are getting bigger, and small but large in size units/monsters are becoming more common.

So I don't object to your effort in principle, but don't want to encourage GW any further down this shrink the game route.

Good to see all the Slaanesh progress :P

This morning I started the goat-faced master itself, purple detailing and claws followed by a purple wash over the whole model. Next step will be to paint the skin back up to white and that will pretty much just leave the extra details and he(she? it?) will be finished.

I'm interested to see how the bold red blade will look on a larger model, calls back to the old GW days where everything was bright red but I think it fits a model as ancient as the Keeper of Secrets.

Archived