The 1k army project, are YOU in?

Darth Alec

Here's what I am planning at this point. It gives me the basics with room to substitute artillery (2x spear @120, 2x rock @100) if I feel like I need some ranged presence. 

Leaders
Grom The Paunch (120)
- General
Goblin Warboss (60)
- Git Cutta & Git Shield
Goblin Warboss (60)
- Git Slicer
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)

Units
Grot Wolf Riders x 10 (200)
Grot Wolf Chariots x 2 (80)

Total: 1000/1000

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'm planning is, if I can get my group to ignore 1020 points (and take a Triumph roll or something):

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (140)
- General
- Trait: Great Destroyer
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Herald Of Nurgle (100)

Units
Putrid Blightkings x 5 (180)
Chaos Warriors x 10 (180)
- Halberd & Shield
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 20 (200)
Plague Drones Of Nurgle x 3 (220)

Total: 1020/1000

If not, then I'll drop the Herald and take a unit of 3 Nurglings instead to be 1000 points even.  My army concept is an oldschool-esque Chaos Warband that mixes various evil creatures under the banner of a charismatic (or terrifying in my case) champion; in theory at higher points levels I'd look at adding some Skaven and/or Beastmen if I can find the synergies.

27 minutes ago, wayniac said:

What I'm planning is, if I can get my group to ignore 1020 points (and take a Triumph roll or something):

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (140)
- General
- Trait: Great Destroyer
- Artefact: Chaos Runeblade
Herald Of Nurgle (100)

Units
Putrid Blightkings x 5 (180)
Chaos Warriors x 10 (180)
- Halberd & Shield
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 20 (200)
Plague Drones Of Nurgle x 3 (220)

Total: 1020/1000

If not, then I'll drop the Herald and take a unit of 3 Nurglings instead to be 1000 points even.  My army concept is an oldschool-esque Chaos Warband that mixes various evil creatures under the banner of a charismatic (or terrifying in my case) champion; in theory at higher points levels I'd look at adding some Skaven and/or Beastmen if I can find the synergies.

There's always the option to drop 1/2 the plaguebearers and add the nurglings for an even 1k.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

I am sorry if I sound slightly bitter, I just find that points if they're going to be the be-all, end-all ...

....Maybe the next version of TGH will slightly adjust points and fix this problem.

1) Maybe that's the source of your frustration - overvaluing the importance of points.  They are an afterthought in AoS. A slapped on additional way to play. Believing they are the be-all, end-all is totally gonna lead to disappointment.

2) It's not a "problem" to fix.   It's just a system not matching your expectations.

Like I said, it's causing me to have to build a different list for my armies, too, but so what?  If I want to play with all my desired toys, I will simply select a mode of play that allows that, not expect the system to change to accommodate me. 

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm up for this, I've just over the 1k of Death models ordered which I'm hoping will arrive before Christmas (although this is looking more and more unlikely).

My models have been dispatched!!!  Roll on the Christmas break (where I should also have a Knight Porphyrion to do)

3 hours ago, wayniac said:

I just find that points if they're going to be the be-all, end-all

They are not going to be, ever will be and most likely never intended to be the be-all, end-all. 

We as a community just kept asking for points, we got it and now we feel it limits us. (and of course it helps us immensely, I don't even play narrative without, but im trying to make a point here ;)

Yo guys, chill! The 1k is a guideline. if your dream list is 1100 points, build 1100 points. If you want to build a tournament-ready army, stay under 1000. I certainly won't begrudge anyone for going over by a smidgeon.

It's great to see so many people getting on board. This is going to be really cool. I hope everyone gets the stuff they need for christmas. Also, if you're in twitter, consider using #1karmy when posting pics. That way we can easily keep track of each other. 

Just now, RuneBrush said:

I almost clicked like but felt that was inappropriate...  Fingers crossed it's not too long in arriving

Hahahaha well that made my morning. It's most likely the holiday pressure at the post office. Luckily my girlfriend is a bit ill at home so we wont miss the delivery guy ;) 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Hahahaha well that made my morning. It's most likely the holiday pressure at the post office. Luckily my girlfriend is a bit ill at home so we wont miss the delivery guy ;) 

I've had a couple of bits a day or two later than anticipated this month, can't be an easy job being a postie!  I have to chance my arm that I have my parcels left safe as I'm away from home for 12 hours most days - always a little worry!

19 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I've had a couple of bits a day or two later than anticipated this month, can't be an easy job being a postie!  I have to chance my arm that I have my parcels left safe as I'm away from home for 12 hours most days - always a little worry!

No it's amazing that get almost everything on time at the right place. But in once had the annoying experience that they did come round with a delivery, as I wasn't home delivered it to the alternative pick up spot. But they either forgot to leave a note or the not got lost. But 2 weeks and a couple of calls later I discovered it had been waiting at the neighborhood store around the corner ? So my brother got the same book twice as a present. 

Hmm... I am presently painting 2 different 40k armies for a league... and working on my 2k snowman army for KoW...and my DeepWars Kickstarter should be arriving any day now... and I'm moderately certain the wife picked me up a new gang for BMG... but what the hell?  I can paint 1k points in 3 months.

Count me in with... something.

8 hours ago, Shane said:

Those of you wanting Arcanites are in luck. The latest GW preview suggests an early '17 release.

Shall we post our progress in this thread? I'm going to get busy over the Christmas break.

I'm thinking we can use this thread. Keeps everyone connected and commenting on each other's progress. Feel free to start a blog/plog (or add to an existing one) as well.

I'll be using this thread, as well as my blog and twitter to post most pictures.

I'm a big fan of 1k armies-  mainly because I've got chronic Hobbywobbleitis and am constantly distracted by new ideas for hobby projects. I'm also far too easily lulled into ebay purchases..  I also think they tend to be just that much better for narrative gaming, especially when you start including Time of War rules, which I absolutely love. 

As a result I've got a stack of things I've bought off Ebay the last two years which I really want to paint, and field in some sort of way, but don't want to go to the effort and expense of turning into 2k 'tournament' armies. 

A quick rummage in the loft/project box turns up the following.

The Skull pass night goblins, and a couple of trolls.

A bunch of random Elves, which I planned to 'mix in' to my existing High Elf army to play some End Times Khaine scenarios (and never did).

Some Dark Elf corsairs, bleakswords and drakespawn knights

A half finished Orion conversion and a few glade guard.

So here goes. Points purely included because I'm cutting and pasting from Scrollbuilder - I'm that lazy.

The White Fang Tribe

Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)
Skarsnik, Warlord Of The Eight Peaks (100)

Moonclan Grots x 20 (120)
Grot Fanatics x 3 (90)
Sourbreath Troggoths x 3 (200)
Grot Spider Riders x 10 (200)

Rackspar's Reavers

Assassin (80)
Sorceress (80)
Black Ark Fleetmaster (40)
Bleakswords x 10 (100)
Drakespawn Knights x 5 (160)
Black Ark Corsairs x 10 (100)
- Repeater Handbow & Vicious Blade
Bloodwrack Medusae x 1 (120)
Kharibdyss (200)

The Wild Hunt

Orion, King in the Woods (380)
Spellweaver (100)
- Heartwood Staff
Wayfinder (100)

Glade Guard x 10 (120)
Hunting Hounds x 5 (100)
Eternal Guard x 10 (80)
Great Eagles x 1 (60)
Great Eagles x 1 (60)

For my Host list I'm thinking:

Daemonettes (10) x2 240
Seekers (10) x1 240
Herald on Exalted Seeker x1 160
Keeper of Secrets x1 280

Spare points to make the Keeper exalted. I only need two models then. Will have the Daemonettes and Seekers come Christmas. 

Smaller list with enough variety to be fun. 

Alright, this is my tentative 1k list (am I a cheater because it's only 8 models?)

• Tamurkhan the Maggot Lord (500)
  • Plague Ogres (160)
  • Plague Ogres (160)
  • Gigantic Chaos Spawn (180)

Tamurkhan is already on the way.  If someone has painted him before, I would LOVE some insight as my painting skills are maybe a B- if I'm being generous.

Archived