The 1k army project, are YOU in?

Darth Alec

I'm planning a 1k Aelf army, made up of the various (former) Dark Elf factions. To be honest I have the models already but never find the time to do them. Lots of Dreadspears and Black Ark Corsairs. Not sure about formations for them but I'm not really interested in high level competitive play - the narrative and free structure of AoS is appealing to me.

I've even got a fluff outline on how to combine the Elves I'm getting in Spire of Dawn into the army. I reckon a unified paint scheme could make for a visually varied but still cohesive force.

As a side note this will be my first proper AoS army - a few little minis from Storm of Sigmar aside. It will also mark the culmination of a fondness for Dark Elves ever since teenaged me got the army book back in the day - the one with a Witch Elf and Sorcereress on the cover. Finally it will also be a combo army for Kings of War - the being project is Age of War: Kings of Sigmar. Round bases for everyone, and then a 100 by 80 mm for KoW.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought some stuff and am getting the rest of a 1k Slaanesh army for christmas since those Made to Order Daemonettes came out. So I'm in too!

Going for models I like, the list is:

Keeper of Secrets,
Herald on foot,
20 Daemonettes,
10 Warriors of Slaanesh
10 Seekers

Got the first batch of metals already (1 box each of nettes and seekers) and 3D printed the texture base tops for the Seekers and cut slots into the cavalry ovals. Planning to be a good way into painting those before Christmas day itself.

1 minute ago, Soulsmith said:

Well I am still slowly, and very much with distractions, working on my ironjawz/mixed destruction. I can probably form a full 1000 point ironjawz, but may focus on mixed just because I am all excited over my arachnarok.

ARACHNAROK! They are so bad ass, the missus got me one for my birthday and it keeps scaring the pants off me when i glimpse it out of the corner of my eye.

Just now, Mohojoe said:

ARACHNAROK! They are so bad ass, the missus got me one for my birthday and it keeps scaring the pants off me when i glimpse it out of the corner of my eye.

I have loved the kit ever since it came out but never been able to justify getting one. It's going to get the airbrush treatment, at least for the carapace. Working out my options for the colour scheme and the shaman too.

Just now, Soulsmith said:

I have loved the kit ever since it came out but never been able to justify getting one. It's going to get the airbrush treatment, at least for the carapace. Working out my options for the colour scheme and the shaman too.

Ooh airbrush! Thats a toy I would love to find under the tree.

I started by doing the fleshy parts green and then put it to one side until I have some more paints. Its a bit daunting as I love the kit and want to do it justice

#I'mIn

Great idea!! Love the thougt of using this as an excuse to start a new army, without feeling like I have to commit a huuuuge investment into it. I've got a Stormcast 1000k list I'm starting ready for Partners in Chaos. 

Maybe after that's done I can use it as an excuse to do an Ironjawz army ?

We'll see...

Will post up some WIP/lists soon!

I've already ordered and ready to start, as soon as everything arrives ¬¬ But fun thread. Looking forward to see some early results from everybody. I'll post add some things as soon as they arrive. I'm planning to do a Slaanesh mortal/deamon army with a twist. 

1 hour ago, swiftmus said:

I bought some stuff and am getting the rest of a 1k Slaanesh army for christmas since those Made to Order Daemonettes came out. So I'm in too!

Going for models I like, the list is:

Keeper of Secrets,
Herald on foot,
20 Daemonettes,
10 Warriors of Slaanesh
10 Seekers

Got the first batch of metals already (1 box each of nettes and seekers) and 3D printed the texture base tops for the Seekers and cut slots into the cavalry ovals. Planning to be a good way into painting those before Christmas day itself.

Love to see the progress on that. 2 boxes nettes and one seekers on the way myself so looking forward to any painting tips and banner conversions you run into. 

Almost finished gluing the first 5 Seekers, I'll try to put some photos up when they're done and sprayed. I love the models as is and so I don't want to try messing about gluing bits on really so I'm using the bases to show command. I've 3D printed some textured terrain and I'm gonna paint it like they are walking on some sort of roiling chaos energy. So for the musician I've got a hand holding a horn and a skull emerging from the chaos on the base.

I'm either going to do something similar with the banner or I'm also considering 3D printing a Slaanesh symbol to hang around the neck of one of the mounts.

I am a big fan of 1000 point lists (or rough equivalent if not using points), both from a thematic standpoint and from a "fast, more tactical game" when played on a 4x4 board with a good bit of terrain and using varied scenarios.  My only concern is that it's pretty easy to game the system at that points level as well.

I am in the process of starting a Nurgle army so I will definitely see what I can do to fit it in at the 1k points level, and do it similar to the Tale of 4 Warlords.  My GW is doing an escalation league in January so I can also use it for that (although I'm sure they are going beyond 1k points).

The problem I'm running into is that the way AOS points are, it's hard to hit "just" 1k points.  A lot of options will put you over by a small amount like ~20-30 points, and then people give you flack for going over even though it's nearly impossible not to.  On that note I feel that AOS really needs to have a more open mindset in regards to points, for casual games at least, because it's so hard to hit a mark and you can't exactly add/drop upgrades to hit it like in 40k.

Like the army I am thinking of running for Nurgle clocks in at 1020 points, with no way other than replacing a unit I want with a unit I don't want to make it fit at 1000.  That doesn't sit well with me.

5 hours ago, wayniac said:

A lot of options will put you over by a small amount like ~20-30 points, and then people give you flack for going over ...

As they should.  This isn't exactly a new "problem." The onus is on the players to stay at or under the agreed upon points. It's not on them to allow their opponent to go over just the because the things they want in their army cost too much. 

I've never been able to get my head around why people expect orhers to change for them and break an agreement when they have an option to stay "legal" and not impose on others. 

Not saying you would do that, but your word choice makes it sound like you are annoyed at your opponents for pointing out to you that you've broken the agreement. 

BTW, I'm experiencing the same issue as you with the Daughters and Sylvaneth forces.  I can't build my preferred lists at 1K.  I just have to see what I *can* do under the limitations, not expect others to let me change those limitations. 

As to an open mindset for AoS... Has everyone forgotten that pre-GH, that's exactly what we had?   And still have?

Just don't use points!

I'm annoyed because it's an exercise in frustration to get things exactly right with how inflexible AOS is and how the points are all over the place.  In 40k and even old fantasy, you could finagle things by dropping 1 model here, or not taking melta bombs or things like that.  AOS you can't.  If a unit is 220 points, it's 220 points (or 2x, 3x, etc.).  You can't just say well I'll only take 2 of these guys instead of 3.

Perfect example.  The list I'm exactly talking about is:

1x Harbinger of Decay
1x Herald of Nurgle
20x Plaguebearers
10x Chaos Warriors
5x Putrid Blightkings
3x Plague Drones

It's 1020 points, so I'm over by 20.  I can't change anything to get under 1000.  I'd have to swap out Plague Drones (which I really want) for Beasts of Nurgle (which I don't really care for) or drop the Herald (which is slightly more palatable) to get under 1000.  That's very inflexible for seemingly no reason at all.  So I am of the mindset that some leeway is necessary for AOS, simply because you can't just drop a handful of things to get under; if I could buy individual models, for instance, it's an easy fix (just take 18 Plaguebearers instead of 20 and I'm at 1000).  So as a result I think that AOS needs to change how people approach points as "the" limiting factor, because it's seemingly so difficult, especially at lower points levels, to hit standard numbers.  Perhaps the solution is that AOS needs to have "strange" points instead of the 40k/Legacy WHFB values e.g. 1050 instead of 1000, 1650 instead of 1500, things like that (numbers just pulled out of thin air) to allow for the fact choices in AOS are, currently, inflexible and make for weird floating under/over totals.

Or, which is my preferred idea, just use common sense and allow the person with less points to get one of those bonuses which I'm pretty sure is already in the AOS rules, so if you have 980 vs. 1020 points, the person with 980 gets some small bonus.  Naturally common sense would need to apply (some sort of standard deviation perhaps?) so you don't have someone with oops I have 1100 points, but I feel that points as they were in Legacy WHFB or are in 40k can't reasonably be applied to AOS, and people seem dead-set on trying to make it work the same way points have always worked.  Even the example Matched Play battle report in The General's Handbook had the Stormcast with 2040 points versus 1980 points of Daemons, so 60 points difference with one army being over by 40 points for seemingly the exact reasons I stated.

I am sorry if I sound slightly bitter, I just find that points if they're going to be the be-all, end-all, should be flexible so you don't run into this exact situation where one unit is 180 points, one unit is 220 points because reasons, but you can't change enough to take the unit you want because you're a handful of points over, especially when points are arbitrary in AOS anyways and is a rough approximation of what a typical size looks like.  I firmly believe that points in AOS can't be treated like points in 40k or legacy WHFB for precisely this reason, because you can't add/drop/change a few things to meet the standard points values.  Maybe the next version of TGH will slightly adjust points and fix this problem.

I'm actually happy they got rid of the finicky *2 points for this, 3 points for that* type of setup. Now I can build a list in my head and be ready to play within minutes. I used to agonize over the best way to add/drop a few points. Now I just go a bit under, it's fine I get a Triumph roll which is probably going to be better than some item I didn't want anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm actually happy they got rid of the finicky *2 points for this, 3 points for that* type of setup. Now I can build a list in my head and be ready to play within minutes. I used to agonize over the best way to add/drop a few points. Now I just go a bit under, it's fine I get a Triumph roll which is probably going to be better than some item I didn't want anyway. 

Triumph, that's what I was thinking of.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it doesn't have the finicky builds, but as a result I think points need to be kept more abstract and less like they were, where it's a limit set in stone and going over means you're a dirty cheating rat-fink, because you can't always get it exact and you're dropping/swapping huge chunks of your army because points are so rigid.

Again just my opinion but I've had several times building armies where it's been like I really want to have 6 of this unit not 3, but it puts me 20 points over the limit, or I want Unit X not Unit Y but Unit Y costs less so I'll be a little under instead of a little over, or worse I have to drop a hero to get under, and then either play 100+ points under or add a unit I really don't want to just to get closer to the points.

Archived