New to the Ironjawz

Uprising

Hello everyone. 

I am a new destruction player, and plan to paint up my Ironjawz force.  i usually ply 2000 pts, somewhat competitive. I have the following:

Heros

1 Gordrakk

1 Grimgoir Ironhide

2 shamans(old metal ones)

4 black orruks heros

battlelines

30 ardboyz

3 Giants

10 Brutes

I am planning on buying a getting started box and battleforce thunderfist, to finish up the force(I might get 2 more maw crusha laters).   My question are as follow.

1.  Is 40 ardboyz enough?

2.  I am not impress with the gore gruntas.  I will ave 6, should I just resell them.  They just seem so underwhelming. 

3.  I will be doing using the classic black armor scheme, but what should the bases be?  Thoughts?

Thanks for reading. 

Hey @Uprising,

Welcome to Ironjawz!

Couple of threads worth checking out that may answer some of your questions.

The "Competitive Ironjawz" thread is quite extensive now (even I have a couple of pages to catch up on!) and is full of super useful info. Spend 30 mins having a go through this mate;

Also my personal blog/thread thing might be worth a quick look as I have painted my Ironjawz with black armour so you can get an idea on basing;

If you are planning on going pure Ironjawz, then some of the bits you have listed there will not be able to be used in matched play.

Gore-gruntas are pretty underwhelming to be honest, but offer some variety in our lists which are otherwise pretty infantry based.

Have fun!

@Uprising - Good work man, he looks really cool. I like the colour scheme a lot and the basing contrasts well as to compliment this. Nice choices. I look forward to seeing you implement this on some of the newer models.

If you're sick of reading up on Ironjawz, you could try listening? *shameless plug number 2 incoming* ;) 

My latest podcast this week spends some time going through the Ironjawz warscrolls, so as a new player it may be of use to you. Also the benefit of a podcast over reading is that you can be painting your Ironjawz at the same time!!

Chris

On 12/24/2016 at 1:41 PM, Uprising said:

@Chris TomlinI Thank you.  I learn a lot, and took a lot of notes(listen to it twice).  I feel like we are going to be the opposite, I take a lot of ardboyz, you have brutes.  We will see. 

Everyone seems to take a lot of brutes. I'm wondering if going ardboy heavy would allow you to take objectives easier..

'ardboys are a more stable battleline, so with the proper warchanter support they can be just as if not more killy (well, maybe not more killy.), they also get larger boosts from Megaboss Wharrrg because there are more of them and they can be trusted to grind down combat, while brutes kind of want monitoring/snappy combats since they don't really hang around when the going gets tough (because they get going).

I'm hoping to get my first game with my Ironjawz in today but I'm going with an even spread of 'Ardboyz and Brutes. From what I've seen objectives are just as important as being Killy. The 'Ardboyz have the brutes beat in few key areas, more wounds, slightly quicker and better bravery in combat. I feel like having both with give a better tactical advantage. Though theory never pans out and I guess I'll find out later on.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:41 AM, Uprising said:

@Chris TomlinI Thank you.  I learn a lot, and took a lot of notes(listen to it twice).  I feel like we are going to be the opposite, I take a lot of ardboyz, you have brutes.  We will see. 

Hey, that's great. Glad it was of use to you. Check out this weeks one as there is yet more Ironjawz chat (I'm somewhat biased!). Tbh I predominately have a lot of Brutes as I love the models. When I can face more Ardboys (or get around to converting Bloodbowl Orcs into them) I will definitely include more. I am firmly of the opinion that multiple Ardboys units are key to the "strongest" Ironjawz lists.

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, Riavan said:

Everyone seems to take a lot of brutes. I'm wondering if going ardboy heavy would allow you to take objectives easier..

100% it would. They are our cheapest wounds to point ratio and still have a decent save. It's easy to overlook them simply due to them being inferior models! They really are key though. I need to get motivated to paint more!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived