Balewind Vortex + Silverwood Circlet shenanigans

RossMHoward

Question

I've used the Balewind Vortex in conjunction with a Branchwych and the Silverwood Circlet recently for some really respectable damage output and I was wondering if anybody has used this combo and if so, how and where have they applied the extra 6+ inches to spell casting. 

I've been doubling the range of my spells with the Balewind Vortex first, and then adding the extra 6" on the end.

So Mystic Shield would be 18 * 2 + 6 = 42

Rather than 18 + 6 * 2 = 48

This is a huge deal for the Branchwych's spell, which targets every enemy unit individually within it's casting range.

Untitled-1.png

6 answers to this question

I've been doubling the range of my spells with the Balewind Vortex first, and then adding the extra 6" on the end.

So Mystic Shield would be 18 * 2 + 6 = 42

Rather than 18 + 6 * 2 = 48

This is a huge deal for the Branchwych's spell, which targets every enemy unit individually within it's casting range.

I did a search for the "Reaping Bomb" and you're in the thread just below it.

You can choose the order of simultaneous abilities in your turn (Hints and Tips). These aren't even simultaneous abilities, so you can plainly add the 6 and then double it. Kroak plus Astrolith Bearer has been doing this for a long time (or even stacking the Astrolith Bearers).

Now that the Balewind has (somewhat excessive - 60 or 80 would be reasonable) points, if you're opponent moans about it, then they have absolutely no justification for doing so. This combines well with the Forest Folk formation as I'm sure you know since the teleport is in the hero phase. Obviously watch out for reroll abilities or change dice abilities (Kroak, Skink Starseer, Kairos) or strong unbinders (Arkhan, Luminark, don't even think about it with Nagash) and especially don't do it if Gordrakk is anywhere nearby as he'll be on 16 wounds and an extra attack on Smasha/Kunning. 

The 7 to cast makes Summon Balewind a serious gamble.

3 minutes ago, gnaleinad said:

You know that if it is as you all said, to add bonus range then double it on a balewind vortex, the Ironjawz Weirdfist  Weirdnob shaman can cast spell that is 48" to 108". 

Damn he could play a game on Wednesday and target a unit from a unit from a game he'd be playing on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, RossMHoward said:

Damn he could play a game on Wednesday and target a unit from a unit from a game he'd be playing on Saturday. 

Indeed, the diagonal length of a 48"x72" table is only 86.5". 
I used to play Balewind Vortex only doubling the original distance written on the spell, bonus that are added do not double.
But that was when it was free..

Now that we have to pay for it. Might well stack the bonus!!! LOLOLOL

Archived