The Venetian Court - Update 25/05 - Kingdom Death Crypt Haunter

Chris Tomlin

This is very inspiring. I love the idea to do a whole FEC army done with models that represent how they view themselves. I've given thought to what army out of Death I'd like to eventually collect (Ironjawz - Khorne Daemons - Wanderers - aaaaand ?), and stuff like this and the fluff make the FEC very tempting. They seem highly customizable. And if done right you could potentially end up with two armies out of the deal depending on what proxies you use.

@mrstimpson38 - Cheers man, I'm pleased to hear you found the army inspiring. Pretty much the highest praise out there.

Hopefully it gets your creative juices thinking and you come up with something cool. Whilst it's great to go along with the awesome stock GW models, it's equally fun to do something completely off the wall. If you're one for fluff, the Mortal Realms being so open ended gives you a great opportunity to think outside the box and fit your own concept into the world.

It's just occurred to me that if I was so inclined I could probably carry the theme of this army into an #AoS28* warband pretty easily as I think it fits in with the moniker of "Dark Age of Sigmar"?! @Bruticus @Ben @bottle

Chris

*really dislike this name btw, seems so arbitrary, unimaginative and meaningless!! (not knocking the actual work people are doing - some of themes and conversions I'm seeing are pretty awesome.)

Stellar work.  The scenery alone is amazing and love the head replacements.   

I am new to AoS but returning GW'r.  I have  a lot of stuff from other companies (which I take it is what you are referring to as "proxies" which in the old days we used to refer to things that had zero resemblance to the what they were supposed to be but yours look like what they are aiming to).  I was under the impression that you could not play official games/'tournaments with non-GW figures.... I have an entire army off of Kickstarter that I want to use in AoS but not sure if I can pull it off.

The name is more significant to people coming from Inq28, but please just consider it a hashtag, 'The Dark Age of Sigmar' is hopefully a bit more evocative. 

Certainly looks like a suitable theme to me, and it'd be a good excuse to make some models that don't usually see tabletop play, or that use other cool Kingdom Death figures that you couldn't fit in otherwise. 

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:57 PM, Travis Baumann said:

Stellar work.  The scenery alone is amazing and love the head replacements.   

I am new to AoS but returning GW'r.  I have  a lot of stuff from other companies (which I take it is what you are referring to as "proxies" which in the old days we used to refer to things that had zero resemblance to the what they were supposed to be but yours look like what they are aiming to).  I was under the impression that you could not play official games/'tournaments with non-GW figures.... I have an entire army off of Kickstarter that I want to use in AoS but not sure if I can pull it off.

Cheers Travis. Yeh you are correct, I wouldn't be able to use this at any GW events or play with it at Warhammer World. However, all independent events will let you use non-GW miniatures in your armies. Whilst GW have the best models out there, sometimes it can be nice to dip into other ranges for diversity, theme, uniqueness etc.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Bruticus said:

The name is more significant to people coming from Inq28, but please just consider it a hashtag, 'The Dark Age of Sigmar' is hopefully a bit more evocative. 

Certainly looks like a suitable theme to me, and it'd be a good excuse to make some models that don't usually see tabletop play, or that use other cool Kingdom Death figures that you couldn't fit in otherwise. 

Yeh, I get the origin. Makes sense to tie it in I suppose. 'The Dark Age of Sigmar' is however a great title IMO, highly evocative as you say and definitely in fitting with some of the brilliant work yourself and others are putting out there.

There are definitely plenty more things I have seen that I could add for this. Seeing as all my other AoS armies are 95% GW at present, it's nice to use this project to scratch my alternative manufacturers itch.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:35 PM, bottle said:

Sounds like an amazing idea, Chris!

Cheers man. Going to have to give these Hinterlands 2 rules of yours a proper read through. Perhaps you'd be up for recording a TBS Weekly about it at some point as well?

• 6 months later...
On 19/09/2017 at 6:32 PM, Kronos said:

Love this theme, great conversions and drab eerie paint scheme, that wraith is is great little conversion. 

Thanks man!

Whilst The Ghosts of Nu-Venice will be a slow burn project due to funds, I did have a box of Spirit Hosts knocking around, so got Chapter II done;

IMG_1636.PNG

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

4 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

These look great following you Scheme @Chris Tomlin. The faces really change the feel of the model and with the paint scheme make them look so different. Like the weapon swap bits in there.

Cheers mate.

I actually had to do a bit of reposing once I attached the masks, carefully using a lighter to bend the hosts around and then plastic gluing different pieces of them together to create a better look. Not totally convinced with the weapon swaps and will probably only use them very sparingly across the Nighthaunt portion of the army.

There will be some crossover with some of the models I used in my FEC taking on double duty here. The winged lions I used for Vargheists will be some allied Morghast Harbingers and my creepy dude who was a Crypt Haunter Courtier will probably be the Mourngul (unless it's considered a bit small, is on right base tho) etc etc.

Now I just need some money so I can buy another 6 or so boxes of Spirit Hosts.

• 7 months later...

Morning all,

Thought I'd share a little update here.

With the recent Nighthaunt reveals, I have decided to sell off all the unpainted Spirit Hosts and Wraiths I'd amassed for my Ghosts of Nu-Venice project (will keep the painted ones in my cabinet). Basically I felt the aesthetic of the new models (which are amazing I should point out) doesn't really fit at all with what I'd want to do here, so for now my Death will remain as a Flesh-eater Courts army.

The only other thing I may do to expand it is  a Blood Knight themed version of the army as I have a conversion in mind for those. I think I may need to try and start stockpiling White Lions to use as Dire Wolves though (unless anyone else knows of smaller lion models I can use).

Also, I have actually played a few games with the Venetian Court of late and will be taking it to a one day tournament tomorrow. This is interesting as weirdly after painting this army I only used it at RAW16 for 6 games, as well as a single game at the club, so it's never really got any use; bizarre!! It does suck pretty massively in the game at the moment anyway, but it doesn't really bother me as the army matters to me much more in terms of aesthetics, theme and display.

I have made a few additions to the army though. I always wanted to run the 9 Crypt Horror block and have managed to get a couple more Kingdom Death Butchers to bulk my unit to 8. One was missing a leg so I had to instamould a copy, which actually worked out nicely. The 9th, the Haunter, is another Kingdom Death model (can't remember his name). He's a total creepster and tbh I had him pencilled in for a 60mm base as another Haunter Courtier, however he works well enough here I think.

FE7FB64B-0297-4FEA-9B63-B865BCBEE337.jpeg.482693993f1e3e83af8a87737004c5e9.jpeg

C3F80B6A-D436-4730-A1FD-E8EE38D3F4D3.jpeg.3cfbce2c911bc525535eb583e87b767b.jpeg

Look at you, you miserable fool
Get off your knees, your prayers fall upon deaf ears
Sigmar has turned his back on you, Azyrs gates are shut
And now you're knocking on the Ghoul King's door

Let me know what you think! I'm looking forward to getting the army out on display tomorrow.

Chris

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to The Venetian Court - Update 25/05 - Kingdom Death Crypt Haunter

Archived