Rampant Duardin Speculation Thread

hobgoblinclub

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steampunk dwarfs sounds cool. I hope for dwarf versions of Killa'kanz and  such. 

A zeppelin like think would be most welcome too, then I can go on with my idea of duardin sky pirates (using the Long Drong slayerpirates)

some tunneling war machine would also be nice. 

Then id like to see elite infantry with steam packs on their backs that power mechanical fists and/or hand-cannons

Or maybe a mechanized cavalry. On Steam rams....yeah!! 

On 11/15/2016 at 9:51 AM, hobgoblinclub said:

What do you think it will look like? The 8th Edition release was another pile of infantry and ultimately underwhelming. Will we get treated to something special in the Age of Sigmar?

I would love to see more of the Forge World style that is in Lord of the Rings. 

The FW Dwarves as exactly how I picture them (I'm a traditionalist / 90's player / lover of Dungeon's & Dragons).

• 2 months later...
On February 16, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Dez said:

I know I know this thread is wicked old...but I just realized what I'm wanting out of the new Dwarfs...and that's something in the vein of Rackham Dwarfs of Tir-na-bor http://rackhamminiatures.yolasite.com/dwarfs---tir-na-bor-a---j.php

I've always found the Rackham dwarves too scrawny and their faces far too cartoony for my taste, but I completely agree that the gadget-armor, steam-hammers, and heroes in oversized mech-suits would be an exciting new direction to take some dwarves in AOS.

What I'm really hoping for is that there ends up being a wide variety of "flavors" for each race. Obsessive and self-sacrificing fyreslayers, hard hitting but small numbered steampunk... With hopefully room for grim-faced, traditionalists who fight in slow-moving blocks with tons of armor and big ass hammers as another group. Maybe duardin trappers with bear and ram mounts as another, and some mining-themed force that pops up all over the board as yet another!

...I'm sure you can see where I'm going. There's enough lore in all of the races to create numerous sub-factions that can join forces or rival eachother. Either way, I'd far rather see a variety of styles to keep the setting fresh and dynamic than release after release of add-ons to one main mega-army in the style of the Stormcast. Leave it to us hobbyists to figure out the right combination of effective sub factions on the board, cohesive paint scheme, and compelling storyline to create a unified force.

I've always loved the rugged Dwarf Rangers, so I'm totally on board! I do fear our traditional Dwarfs may be phased out.

You also caught my intent with the Racksm that I didn't make clear, but I'd like to see some up armored mechanized Dwarfs that reflects what was done with Tir-na-bor in concept vs style. That armored chariot I forgot how much I loved it.

I want the steamheads not just to have a blimp, but a battle zeppelin, it could be their one "huge" model that each of the armies has.  Giant steam airship bristling with cannons that can shoot at two different units from each of its sides.  Let it be able to carry a unit of like 20 dwarves so that it can land for a turn and drop of the troops in an advantageous place before lifting off and hammering the enemy with more artillery fire.  

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Dez said:

I was thinking about my expectations/hopes, and something popped into my head. A Kickstarter done by Titan Forge, this is how I'd like to see the new Dwarfs with that GW touch/aesthetic http://www.titan-forge.com/fantasy_miniatures_metal_beards

Funny enough if you look at their Zepplin, it has a tail fin that looks alot like the picture with the bloodthirster.....

As an old 8th edition dwarf player, the gyrocpoters that were released are most likely going to be used again in this new release. However what is the tactical purpose of a Airship/Zepplin? Are we talking a 40k combat transport like machine or a bigger drop bombs attack like the gyrobomber? 

On 18-2-2017 at 10:11 PM, Shorewood said:

I want the steamheads not just to have a blimp, but a battle zeppelin, it could be their one "huge" model that each of the armies has.  Giant steam airship bristling with cannons that can shoot at two different units from each of its sides.  Let it be able to carry a unit of like 20 dwarves so that it can land for a turn and drop of the troops in an advantageous place before lifting off and hammering the enemy with more artillery fire.  

That would actually be a kit way bigger than Alarielle or Archeon. More FW sized.

I kind of want some less steam-punky stuff in there. What are Dwarves lacking? Cavalry. I want Dwarven Valkyries with winged helmets riding flying horses. Plus a chariot pulled by cats with a female character who can heal things. More Duardin women based on mythology.

I kind of want some less steam-punky stuff in there. What are Dwarves lacking? Cavalry. I want Dwarven Valkyries with winged helmets riding flying horses. Plus a chariot pulled by cats with a female character who can heal things. More Duardin women based on mythology.

Dwarves are allergic to horses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"That's news to me. There was some talk early on about Steamheads having something similar to the servo arms on techpriests/marines but I really don't know how accurate that will be, there was also talk of an animated walker/golemn but again nothing else I've heard or seen so far backs that up. I guess we should know more soon(ish). I might start digging again as I have a rekindled interest in all things fantasy (thanks to WHQST & WHQSoH)."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would prefer to work from dispossessed than new aesthetic, but would like some big things that are not Golem or Mech. Perhaps bear riders or something.

Personally think current range for dwarfs look amazing compared to, say, skinks and saurus.

Just think they need bulking out.

6 hours ago, YourSwordisMine said:

my fear is that the current Dispossessed line wont be incorporated into the new faction. I just cant help shake that feeling... 

Having dropped $950 USD when the new plastics dropped, I'd be saddened if I'm right.... I really hope I'm not though.

I think the 8th Edition plastics will almost certainly be part of the new army. The infantry, gyros and characters will probably appear in a Start Collecting box and we'll get a load of new filth to fill the army out. 

Archived