What do you think of Duardin in AoS?

hobgoblinclub

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've personally been enjoying my Warmachines and the damage potential of my Thunderers in Large groups.  I like Quality over Quantity with the Quarrellers.  I've used Miners every now and again to some decent effect.

I've also just picked up a unit of Iron Drakes (I've been using alternate models for my Hammerers and Iron Drakes, specifically guys from Kings of War).

In Terms if Warriros, I think they need to be used in larger squads to be effective.  30+ more than likely.

I've been seeing mention of legacy units and units no longer being playable?  I haven't heard anything about this; can someone shed some light on what "legacy" units are for me?

From my personnal experience, I'd say they have to be played very differently than in WFB. Their save is not so good and they lack wounds, and the artillery is not doing as good as it used to (again, from my experience).

I feel there is quite a gap between the Heroes and the troops. My Lord with shieldbearers was quite unkillable by the Aelves or Seraphons while my Thunderers and hammerers were slaughtered. I've tried to split many of my larger units to small group harrassing the opponents. It actually goes well with the fluff of survivors in my mind.

On a slightly different topic, I need a tip. I've got a box of Hammerers, and I can't decide what to build. I want a unit of Longbeards for thematic/grumbling reasons, but can't shake the feeling that Hammerers will serve me better. On the other hand, a single box of hammerers might not do much for me, being as fragile as they are.

Any opinions?

6 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

On a slightly different topic, I need a tip. I've got a box of Hammerers, and I can't decide what to build. I want a unit of Longbeards for thematic/grumbling reasons, but can't shake the feeling that Hammerers will serve me better. On the other hand, a single box of hammerers might not do much for me, being as fragile as they are.

Any opinions?

I like the Longbeards grumble ability, and they are reasonably survivable with a decent bravery, 4+ save and potential shieldwall. Their damage output however is very average - actually slightly worse than a basic dwarf warrior and if you are using SCGT pool they are expensive.

Hammerers as others have said are somewhat fragile with only 1 wound and a 4+ save, but they are unbreakable with a hero nearby and their damage output per wound is absolutely outstanding. Slightly expensive in SCGT but in line with other one wound elite units. Also, can be fielded in units of 5 so you can get two small units out of one box.

I would think the answer is driven by what you already have. I think a unit or two of longbeards is a good investment to get the grumbling buff, and also to fill the dispossed battalion slots (and they are thematically cool). But once you have a unit or two to give the grumble buffs, then outside of trick builds (i.e. lots of legacy characters all doing their command abilities) they represent a lot of investment for OK performance.

Hammerers also fit into the battalion and really benefit from the whole duardin design - they like the re-rolls from the battalion, they like the longbeard re-roll, they like runelord buffs, they like the Warden King buffs. They also provide the close combat punch a duardin army needs to help deal with tough opponents who get through your shooting.

My recommendation therefore would be Longbeards unless you already have a unit, in which case Hammerers all the way.

I think you're right. I already wanted Longbeards, and I'll need/want some for the battalion anyways. Then that's going to be my next Duardin build project! 

Looking over the points, you can comfortably fit both the clan throng and artillery in 100 SCGT pools. I feel artillery is still a bit overpriced, and maybe the shooting is as well. But I'll have to play around with it a bit more first. Triple cannon artillery barrage may ruin someone's day :P

So I've got some plans to add all of the Dwarf special characters to my Duardin force. Converting up a Ungrim from Belegar, got standard Belegar and Thorgrim. But how should I go about making Bugman? I could use Belegar's body again, but maybe he's too armoured? I love the image from the army books (with the keg and axe). There's not a lot of other plastic dwarfs out there to start from. Hammerer body perhaps? or buff up a regular warrior body? Any help would be appreciated!

Hmmh. Yeah, Using Belegar as a start is probably a good idea. Sand away the armour on the lower part of his body, and paint it as clothing, swap the head for a Warrior head without the face guard, and his shield for a tankard, then you should be pretty close. Might be easier to get to old model of eBay though ;-)

On 29/04/2016 at 11:15 AM, Paul Buckler said:

Not really, I like my bases with a bit of space so tend to go bigger, Below is a pic of Bugman on a 40mm and a standard dwarf on a 32mm.  Doesn;t look too out of place for me. Also lord on 40mm in background, but that is a more built up.

Img_1602.jpg

the guy on the right is a c16 chaos dwarf from 3rd ed 1985/87

23 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

Hmmh. Yeah, Using Belegar as a start is probably a good idea. Sand away the armour on the lower part of his body, and paint it as clothing, swap the head for a Warrior head without the face guard, and his shield for a tankard, then you should be pretty close. Might be easier to get to old model of eBay though ;-)

I'm going to catch some controversy for this, but I'm not very fond of the old dwarf sculpts. I get that a lot of people love them, and that they have "personality". But that aesthetic isn't for me :P Besides, too many of the Bugman models are "happy drinking bugman" and not "angry vengeance-seeking brewer". It's the angry killy Bugman I want.

I think I'll go with Belegar's body. Sorta like you said. Mix him up with some Longbeard/Warrior/Quarreler bits and a tankard. He'll be more heavily armoured than the fluff pic, but that's ok. He has to stand in for a Warden King if I ever play Duardin in a non-legacy event.

Now to get my hands on an anvil of doom...

Dug a chunk of dwarfs from the storage locker to keep me busy. I shall begin rebasing soon and finally run them solo,& in my first ever mult faction game;) 

but question, any thoughts on rocky bases? I see 25 bases but I like my Fyreslayers on 32. Sure, I get less models in reach to attack but I like it anyway. Hopefully the rock bases on squares can be adjusted onto rounds without making the dwarf--Duardin too tall. Advice welcomed.

Archived