ITC Top Death Player List

AlexanderHemedinger

So I've been tabling every opponent in the ITC events (only 2) here in the United States and I must say this is a pretty strong lis and want everyone's opinion and advice of continuing the success of Death. Thanks guys!

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Ring of Immortality
Necromancer (120)
Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
- Artefact: Ring of Immortality

Units
Crypt Ghouls x 40 (400)
Crypt Ghouls x 40 (400)
Crypt Ghouls x 30 (300)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Ghoul Patrol (100)

Total: 1940/2000

The Vampire Lord was chosen to give any of the ghoul units an additional melee attack in combat maximizing the dice at now 4 each!

The necromancer on a nightmare for maximum distance and the range to allow a unit of ghouls the ability to attack twice. That's strong.

Crypt ghast courtier is a needed model for the formation, but is not bad as it can replenish up to 6 ghouls every hero phase.

Aborghant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon I find more appropriate due to his spell that allows units in range to reroll wound rolls. And is a Ghoul King which gives the ghouls the ability to reroll 1's to hit. Ring of immortality to maximize him back.

Maximize ghouls, and formation helps with deep striking and every unit of ghouls rolls a d6 to replenish.

So basically one unit of ghouls can receive 4 attacks a piece, reroll ones, attack twice, and reroll wound rolls. Not that bad! Been working out very well. And if kept near vampire lord, they have the 5+ invulnerable save too. Replenishing with formation and courtier. Very nasty list and I've made no friends playing this....

Enjoy guys and I look forward to some revisions and opinions! - Alexander Hemedinger.

I've played against Khorne Unbound, Khorne Daemons, Empire (lots of shooting), Sylvaneth, Skaven, Fyreslayers, Nurgle, Tomb Kings, and moon clan grots.

I think shooting is my weakness because even in combat they still shoot at you. But I guess the pitched battle senarios or play style seem to help.

They were all competitive, but tabled every single time. The issues I've had is the grot spam of nets. Other than that, not sure what army you mean? 

Do none of your opponents shoot? Or lightning strike? Your army relies heavily on three 5 wound models. It's a huge, gaping hole in the army design.

Not trying to demean your opponents or anything. It's a solid, solid list. But it does have three large weakpoints. Kill the Vamp and Necromancer and your army drastically loses effectiveness. Kill the courtier and it stops healing. You need to do 11 wounds on average to the vamp, 9.5 on the Necromancer to permanently kill them. That's well within 2 judicator units/ Any decent shooting attacks. Or Lightning Strike them if they're behind your lines. 30/40 ghouls are a lot less dangerous with doing just basic attacks.

You also have only a single unit of rend. A properly defensive army will make all your attacks bounce right off.

If players aren't prepared for it, and are playing with the wrong mindset, it's terrifying. It's like a close combat version of the Kunnin Ruk army.

1 hour ago, Darth Alec said:

Do none of your opponents shoot? Or lightning strike? Your army relies heavily on three 5 wound models. It's a huge, gaping hole in the army design.

Not trying to demean your opponents or anything. It's a solid, solid list. But it does have three large weakpoints. Kill the Vamp and Necromancer and your army drastically loses effectiveness. Kill the courtier and it stops healing. You need to do 11 wounds on average to the vamp, 9.5 on the Necromancer to permanently kill them. That's well within 2 judicator units/ Any decent shooting attacks. Or Lightning Strike them if they're behind your lines. 30/40 ghouls are a lot less dangerous with doing just basic attacks.

You also have only a single unit of rend. A properly defensive army will make all your attacks bounce right off.

If players aren't prepared for it, and are playing with the wrong mindset, it's terrifying. It's like a close combat version of the Kunnin Ruk army.

The opponents shoot, I actually had to fight against the capatults or the loghtning things, and cannons. Yes the heroes are very important hence the ring, but I tend to avoid them in range if possible.

I totally agree shooting is the weakness, I guess it comes down to range of it. I do value your input and totally understand. What I enjoy in sigmar is the game is pretty mindset full of combat. At least in my meta area here in Florida.

The courtier is not really what I care about, remember replenishing comes from the formation. The issue with deep striking is the gryph.

As far as rend with the amount of wound they'll he rolling I outweigh that math.

Could you give a list you like to help this or revise mine so that shooting wouldn't be a concern.

1 hour ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

If it works, it works, but it doesn't seem like a world-ending list tbh. People seem to put a lot of weight on winning tournaments, which are ultimately just about winning 3-5 games in a vacuum and don't really represent the game at large.

Not that, It's just cause maybe the people who play are mainly close combat heavy.

Here's where I need to know what range is usually out there. Remember I just need to be away up to 18inches alone to that unit, not including any distance that I am overall.

But totally agree, I'd love to test more actual tier lists and see. I'm not saying I am amazing or the list is, it's just been either my rolls or performance tactic.

I would like to see more spam with the ghoul king on foot from death book since you can technically use either book you wish. I just like the possibility of hitting on threes.

Also perhaps I got lucky with certain terrain features which help. I'm certainly more than happy to see everyone's revisions or lists.

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Sylvaneth would be strong against this. The -1 to hit everywhere against 4+ to hit and rerollable saves would be horrendous. Also Hunters kill general turn one.

I have sylvaneth. Remember most of their list requires 3 battle line units. I'd try to make 2k lists but I guess Alarielle isnt needed all the time and can put more treelords or ancients. Stinks most of their guys are already unique characters including Drycha.

The -1 to hit is a 50/50 chance. I'm assuming you mean the stomp. Not sure I recall rerollable saves. That a artefact?

Love Sylvaneth though, quite fun. I personally love Ironjawz.

The -1 to hit is a 50/50 chance. I'm assuming you mean the stomp. Not sure I recall rerollable saves. That a artefact?

No I mean the Dryads, which is automatic near a Wyldwood; and the Briarsheath on the Treelords (which stacks with their stomp). So look forward to missing with 2/3 of the Ghouls' attacks.

32 minutes ago, Nico said:

No I mean the Dryads, which is automatic near a Wyldwood; and the Briarsheath on the Treelords (which stacks with their stomp). So look forward to missing with 2/3 of the Ghouls' attacks.

Gotcha, all depends on what's maximized for the unit attacking etc. Certainly my benefits hurt without my heroes. Wish I could take more ring of immortality lol.

12 minutes ago, AlexanderHemedinger said:

Gotcha. Was always playing with Alarielle, never noticed. Don't see it sylvaneth, must be older version in order. Which is still legal I know.

The one with command ability is up to date, the german from the website is also missing the command ability!

Thanks for posting the list, it looks really fun to play! What is the ideal match up for you? People seem to think that your big vulnerability is the loss of your hero's. Have your oppents threatened them in a meaningful way? Or do you feel like you caught them off guard? 

Personally I wouldn't change the list until you get a few losses under your belt...

3 hours ago, Ao_Death said:

Thanks for posting the list, it looks really fun to play! What is the ideal match up for you? People seem to think that your big vulnerability is the loss of your hero's. Have your oppents threatened them in a meaningful way? Or do you feel like you caught them off guard? 

Personally I wouldn't change the list until you get a few losses under your belt...

Good question, I have done really well against lists that are heavily focused on combat. I purposely try to keep my heroes away from any shooting distance or to avoid being in combat. With the formation it allows me to deploy 9" away, 6" from table edge. That gives me a chance of rolling a 9 to charge, now the risk of course is that you didn't get all the buffs. So you have to see what works.

The loss of heroes is vulnerable in my list because it needs to do extra things to make them more valuable, the ring of immortality certainly helps that a little with the two heroes. I really try to take advantage of the Ruler of the Night ability, which helps. And people forget the Necromancer can deflect wounds to other death units too.

I have lost heroes, but not really anything devastating to where the ring didn't help. I think the hardest battle is the pitched one where you increase your army in thirds every turn. You just try to bring back as many ghouls so that you don't lose the entire unit. If no one was able to shoot in combat like 40k, then this list certainly would be even better! :)

I do need some more losses to identify what the list needs. I have tested with both Aborghant on Terrorgheist and Zombie at the same time and the list really didn't need that. So the 400 points to free up other things was great. I may even cut the zombie and just go more heroes... I can only run max to 6 in 2k though. I appreciate the open discussion and your opinion. And that goes for everyone - thanks! I hope to see more suggestions to a revised list/ideas that I am trying to do instead of showing weaknesses.... no list is perfect.

I'm kind of torn now if the death book Ghoul king may be better than the vampire lord. Of course referring to the death book version. Thoughts? (Yes you can mix versions. Already verified with GW.)

Same effect ability as the vampire lords but an extra 3". And command ability not only is plus one to hit, but plus one to wound.

Or you bring an on foot of this guy and now my ghouls do 5 attacks each. Yuk!

20161116_041949.jpg

Archived