Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ben

Facehammer and Clash events and new army projects

8 posts in this topic

Ben    1,361

Facehammer and Clash events and new army projects – Episode 151 Over the last moth there has been half a dozen tournaments around the UK using the generals handbook.  the 3 of us went up to the Facehammer GT and

The post Facehammer and Clash events and new army projects appeared first on The Bad Dice Podcast.

View the full article

• Like 1

Pjschard    20

In regards to the gate ;)

It is definitely a failure of the scenario to allow for a game to be over in 20 minutes, and there should be some alteration to make this impossible, however there is always the choice. Ben saw the game that he thought would play out based on the armies on the table. Then he chose to deny his opponent the ability to play that game. The rules allowed this to happen, but one of the best things about Warhammer is that you get to face a real live opponent on the other side of the table ;) There probably should be allowances made for that real live opponent :)

On the other hand, a tournament is about finding the best player in a group of players. People will get smashed and lose. There is also an expectation that all's fair in love and war :) A win is the only way to rise to the top.. and there should be an expectation that people will try and win every game, every time. I personally get very frustrated when my opponent choose to not try and win the game and "gives up."

I think a very interesting question is whether this game would have been as frustrating in 8th ed? or 7th etc.? As I understand it, games like these happen in Warmachine all the time, but there is not a widespread painting requirement (at least here in the US.)

I am not surprised that this game happened, but I think most players would have expected the player who won to have been much younger, and lacking in Social Interaction Skills, which Ben is most obviously not.  I don't think it's unfair for Adi to have expected Ben to play differently. 

The Irony of the situation is that playing AoS is ALL ABOUT denying your opponent the ability to play the battle they wish to play. It is just typically spread out over a full game and taken in increments, instead of in one fail swoop.

Listened to the episode and really like your show but was disappointed. Decisions like that reinforce the stereotype that tournament players are unsportsmanlike, looking for every opportunity to exploit holes in the rules. Winning a game at the expense of giving my opponent a very negative play experience isn't winning to me. Took Beastclaw to my last event and completely tabled a less experienced player with his new army, haven't seen him since. Felt more like a blow to my local community than a win. Just my $.02.

Nico    1,861

A very good show and helped me burn through painting Fyreslayers, just the highlights on Magmadroth and 5 Aurics to go now.

Clan Skryre - the road to alcoholism as so much extra time spent at the bar when the game is over in 20 minutes.

Hopefully a tweak to Escalation Battleplan could fix this - just delay the units one turn and then they can deploy irrespective of the presence of enemy models.

Be interested to hear what Adi would do if the armies were reversed, he likes to win I hear so who knows? In other games you absolutely should do this and nobody would blink an eye, examples being Warmachine and Magic but probably true in Infinity or Xwing as well. 

Playing at the club against someone with a start collecting force? Don't do it. Against an experienced general who wants to win in top tables, slightly more acceptable. As you said, Adi did have one potential out, she should have practiced the match up more ?

Stevewren    391
On 15/11/2016 at 3:19 AM, Blackflag760 said:

Listened to the episode and really like your show but was disappointed. Decisions like that reinforce the stereotype that tournament players are unsportsmanlike, looking for every opportunity to exploit holes in the rules. Winning a game at the expense of giving my opponent a very negative play experience isn't winning to me. Took Beastclaw to my last event and completely tabled a less experienced player with his new army, haven't seen him since. Felt more like a blow to my local community than a win. Just my $.02.

@Blackflag760 Thanks for the feedback. One of the things I often hear, particularly on American Podcasts (sorry for the stereotype) is about playing 'that guy' at a tournament. I've never experienced it at a UK event, but this is pretty much how I would see it. It also happened to @Russ Veal at Blood and Glory - I think the scenario is the issue for allowing this to happen. Heres hoping the GH2 will have some alternative scenarios that aren't quite so abusable. 

On 15/11/2016 at 11:22 AM, Nico said:

A very good show....

@Nico Absolutely agree! 

On 16/11/2016 at 11:41 AM, Wolden Spoons said:

Be interested to hear what Adi would do if the armies were reversed, he likes to win I hear so who knows? In other games you absolutely should do this and nobody would blink an eye, examples being Warmachine and Magic but probably true in Infinity or Xwing as well. 

Playing at the club against someone with a start collecting force? Don't do it. Against an experienced general who wants to win in top tables, slightly more acceptable. As you said, Adi did have one potential out, she should have practiced the match up more ?

@Wolden Spoons I'm very good friends with Adi - I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done it. In terms of other games I went to a 10 man X-Wing event as my first time tournament experience, played an experienced player and he flew my Dash off the table after I made a mistake (red manoeuvre when stressed) turn 2. I've never been back to an X-Wing event after that as that isn't my idea of how to treat any player, let alone an tournament newbie. All that guy did was alienate me from a whole game system. He probably has no idea of the effect his action caused, and it clearly hasn't affected the popularity of the game system, but it did affect me. Hopefully I won't ever have that effect on an AoS  player. 

• Like 2