Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Scrollbuilder says auric hearthguard are battleline if it's fyreslayers only?

It depends who the general is Runemaster makes Aurics battleline and the Runefather makes Hb battleline

8 hours ago, Tubs said:

It depends who the general is Runemaster makes Aurics battleline and the Runefather makes Hb battleline

Oh right thanks

So if I drop the Grimwrath for the Runesmiter I'd be OK.  Any thoughts on that list?

Runemaster

Runesmiter

BattleSmith 

30 vulkites 

10 auric hearthguard

32 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Oh right thanks

So if I drop the Grimwrath for the Runesmiter I'd be OK.  Any thoughts on that list?

Runemaster

Runesmiter

BattleSmith 

30 vulkites 

10 auric hearthguard

This is now not so good. 

You could keep it as it was before with the Grimwrath but split the vulkites down in to two units to fulfil battleline 

20/10 or even 25/5 it will be better for some objectives as Duardin are so slow 

Vulkites are not good for 1000 point games. You better take 2x 10 HB. Also skip Battalions in 1000 points. You should play a Magmadroth. Rly good in small games. For battleline issues take the Runefather on Magmadroth. Grimwrath Berserker is also rly good. Battlesmith can be used, but is not a must, because you have the Runefathers command ability. AH are not rly efffective in units of 10. You should use them in units of at least 20. So skip them in 1000 point games.

51 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Oh right thanks

Runemaster

Runesmiter

BattleSmith 

30 vulkites 

10 auric hearthguard

Its really hard to make an ok 1000pt fyreslayers list.

I played in double tournament 2 x 1000pt and took this list. It was very strong at least in combination with the other 1000pt which was an elven gunline.

Runemaster

Runesmiter

Runesmiter

20 vulkites

20 Aurics

Droped the 42 fyreslayers in the middle of the board turn 1 and the elves shoot the enemy to pieces while they dealt with the fyreslayers. Vulkites in a ring around the aurics.

For your list. Run 2*15 vulkites and tunnel the aurics in most cases.

7 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Everyone is suggesting splitting the vulkites into separate units and I bow to your experience with actually playing them but don't they dramatically lose effectiveness in smaller numbers?

It does appear that way at first. But to be honest they're perfectly fine in 15s, especially at 1000 points. 

At 2000 points I usually have one 25 with pick, shield and 10-15 with dual axes. 

Ita just not feasible to have multiple units of 25/30 in a list cost wise and it tends to be inefficient in the game as it's hard to get the whole unit in to combat. 

2 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

It does appear that way at first. But to be honest they're perfectly fine in 15s, especially at 1000 points. 

At 2000 points I usually have one 25 with pick, shield and 10-15 with dual axes. 

Ita just not feasible to have multiple units of 25/30 in a list cost wise and it tends to be inefficient in the game as it's hard to get the whole unit in to combat. 

Makes sense. If they are effective at 15 that's cool and helps with list building a lot

Can I just check I'm reading the rules right though - for their slingshields, only one model has to get into combat but you then roll a dice for every model in the unit?

13 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Also, how about this list:

Battlesmith

Runesmiter

30 vulkites (split into two as either 15/15, 20/10 or 25/5 following my own playtesting)

10 auric hearthguard 

Plus EITHER 1 Grimwrath or 5 more auric hearthguard 

Thoughts etc?

5 more aurics IMO.

And in general a solid list.

Makes sense. If they are effective at 15 that's cool and helps with list building a lot
Can I just check I'm reading the rules right though - for their slingshields, only one model has to get into combat but you then roll a dice for every model in the unit?

Yes just one, which you can use to great effect. If you have a unit of Hearthguard charging something for example, also charge your large unit of vulkites but only just connect one to get the shield attacks. Use the rest of the charge move to get the unit in to position next turn.

If they attack your vulkites just remove the closest two then you're out of combat.

If you don't kill the enemy in that one turn just retreat forward in to a better position.

I've used this tactic a few times when appropriate it can help slingshot you sometimes if you get a high charge roll

5 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Yes just one, which you can use to great effect. If you have a unit of Hearthguard charging something for example, also charge your large unit of vulkites but only just connect one to get the shield attacks. Use the rest of the charge move to get the unit in to position next turn.

If they attack your vulkites just remove the closest two then you're out of combat.

If you don't kill the enemy in that one turn just retreat forward in to a better position.

I've used this tactic a few times when appropriate it can help slingshot you sometimes if you get a high charge roll

That's a great piece of advice 

Thanks!

What do you guys think about the forge brethren? I wasn't aware you could give the 1+ save to any unit within 15" pair that with a wizard or even alone VB with a 3+ or 2+ rerollable save or even onto a magmadroth. I feel like it would be far more powerful not used on the aurics themselves but on the frontline has anyone tried this?

3 hours ago, Tubs said:

What do you guys think about the forge brethren? I wasn't aware you could give the 1+ save to any unit within 15" pair that with a wizard or even alone VB with a 3+ or 2+ rerollable save or even onto a magmadroth. I feel like it would be far more powerful not used on the aurics themselves but on the frontline has anyone tried this?

Yes it's great. The +1 save can stack as well so you could put all +3 save on one unit. I pretty much always use it in 2k lists. 

2 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Yes it's great. The +1 save can stack as well so you could put all +3 save on one unit. I pretty much always use it in 2k lists. 

80 points for 3 Mystical shields that can't be dispelled and can stack damn that's strong. 

2 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

It is be the Auric die to a stiff breeze and it's useless if the Runesmiter is out of range or killed.

Runesmiter in the battalion would have to be on magmadroth to be viable however the aurics will fall over to any sort of shooting you're very right there sir. What do you think of this 1500 point list?

Runefather (General)

Battlesmith

Runesmiter on Magmadroth

Runesmiter

Vulkites x 25

Hearthguard B x 10

Aurics x 5

Aurics x 5

Aurics x 5

Forge Bretheren 

5 Drops

Good point raised about small groups of aurics significantly decreasing the battalion power

Runesmiter in the battalion would have to be on magmadroth to be viable however the aurics will fall over to any sort of shooting you're very right there sir. What do you think of this 1500 point list?
Runefather (General)
Battlesmith
Runesmiter on Magmadroth
Runesmiter
Vulkites x 25
Hearthguard B x 10
Aurics x 5
Aurics x 5
Aurics x 5
Forge Bretheren 
5 Drops
Good point raised about small groups of aurics significantly decreasing the battalion power

Looks decent, although I don't play 1500 so hard to judge.

I agree to use the smiter on droth for forge brethren, you want your smiter on foot for tunnelling anyway.

23 hours ago, Tubs said:

Runefather (General)

Battlesmith

Runesmiter on Magmadroth

Runesmiter

Vulkites x 25

Hearthguard B x 10

Aurics x 5

Aurics x 5

Aurics x 5

Forge Bretheren 

5 Drops

How do you play the small auric units to ensure they don't just get deleted?

13 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I find they tend to ignore them. Not worth the resources to remove small units of five when there's bigger threats and by the time they realise they should have removed them the damage is done.

90% of players see a monster and want to kill it first, even if its not doing much

90% of players see a monster and want to kill it first, even if its not doing much

This could not be more true. In my awesome game against @Jimbo - thanks you legend! - I was hoping for his Kurnoth Hunters to roll better so that they would do a lot of damage in the combat phase, whereupon the Magmadroth would bleed on them and probably not on itself - best chance of it actually doing damage with my rolls. In the event they both slapped each other with pillows for several turns.

Archived