Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

Looking for some input on a 1.5k list revolving around auric hearthguard

runemaster (general)

2xrunesmiter

battlesmith

2x30 vulkites pick and shield

30 auric hearthguard

tactic would be to tunnel aurics protected by a hearthguard unit while my other hearth guard work the back objectives and keep runemaster and battlesmith safe

both vulkites are pick and shield for MW output as I can't sensibly fit a magmadroth in

runemaster is general so I don't have to fill 3 battleline by bringing small vulkite units

main issue I see is getting the general to cover ground and reduce conga lines to get the battleshock buffs

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any army with decent enough shoot is going to knock your heroes out or negative to hit modifiers are going to make your aurics hit on 5 or 6. you have a solid anvil ie berzerkers but i think you need a hammer and some mortal wound causeing power. to much point sink in those aurics and im noy a fan of the runemaster he tends to help the enemy more. my suggestion is drop the aurics to a 15 man unit take a magmadroth and drop the runemaster for another unit of maybe 10 berzerkers to help hold objectives.

11 hours ago, cranc said:

Looking for some input on a 1.5k list revolving around auric hearthguard

runemaster (general)

2xrunesmiter

battlesmith

2x30 vulkites pick and shield

30 auric hearthguard

tactic would be to tunnel aurics protected by a hearthguard unit while my other hearth guard work the back objectives and keep runemaster and battlesmith safe

both vulkites are pick and shield for MW output as I can't sensibly fit a magmadroth in

runemaster is general so I don't have to fill 3 battleline by bringing small vulkite units

main issue I see is getting the general to cover ground and reduce conga lines to get the battleshock buffs

I have played different versions of your list and it's a tier 1 list on 1500pt if you have some practice with it. The weekness is that you would like one more unit to cover your home objective. Maybe skip the runemaster and take 10 more Vulkites.

11 hours ago, Bimli said:

where can i find a tier rating?

It's just based on opinions. ? You can find several lists if you google it I guess. But what I ment was that I think your list would work ok against the hardest lists you can find here in TGA at 1500pt bases on my experience playing these lists. And the list is probably to strong for a friendly pick up game IMO.

7 hours ago, Andreas said:

It's just based on opinions. ? You can find several lists if you google it I guess. But what I ment was that I think your list would work ok against the hardest lists you can find here in TGA at 1500pt bases on my experience playing these lists. And the list is probably to strong for a friendly pick up game IMO.

i see that 1500 point list is not mine i posted the 2k list ?

3 hours ago, Andreas said:

Yes ?

Your list is strong also of course. (I do prefer Aurics over Arkanaouts.)

im using them fir backline support with those skyhooks mainly to take out cheeky characters they serve a pretty good purpose in my list of point holding character killing dudes.

19 hours ago, Deepkin said:

Anyone ever run a double Magmadroth list? Thinking of doing it, but not sure how good the Magmas are. They seem to pump out a decent amount of mortal wounds at least.

I think the consensus is they're not bad, but not amazing either.  They're solid enough outside of a hardcore tournament environment and won't do you wrong. Runesons and Runesmiter, or two of the former as the Father on one is a trap.

Anyone ever run a double Magmadroth list? Thinking of doing it, but not sure how good the Magmas are. They seem to pump out a decent amount of mortal wounds at least.

This is one of my lists, one Runeson has the exemplar, another one is the batallon leader.

That way you can play defensive with the magmadroth that makes you do not take battleshock test and be more aggresive with the one that will  make vulkites throw axes twice, etc...

Is a super tanky list and i like to play it some times.

You can replace the skywardens with aurics or whatever you like, a smitter and a grim maybe...

Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)

- General
- Command Trait : Exemplar of the Ancestor
- Ancestral War-axe
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
Battlesmith (80)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
Battlesmith (80)

Units
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
-War-Picks & Slingshields
-War-Picks & Slingshields
-Pairs of Handaxes
6 x Skywardens (200)

Battalions
Warrior Kinband (90)

Total: 2000 / 2000

The hype is real. Im hoping for a list of rune prayers for Runemaster/smiter. Maybe an improved melee profile for Runesons. That damned Stormcast Wizard has a better melee profile than the Runeson! That's a grudgin' for sure.

Wouldnt mind seeing Grimwraths get turned into an infantry unit instead if a hero either. Something like 0-1 per army, unit size of 1-5. Tunneling 5 Grimwraths into the enemy backfield would be worth a lul or two :D

Faction Focus: Fyreslayers

Spoiler

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-PostHeader1jvd.jp

Welcome to Faction Focus – a new series on Warhammer Community exploring the various armies battling for the fate of the Mortal Realms as we get ready for the launch of the new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar. If you’re just taking your first steps in the Mortal Realms, we’ll be running down why you might want to try each army, while if you’re a veteran player, we’ll be checking out what the latest news and rules changes mean for your army.

In this Faction Focus, we’re checking out the Fyreslayers  furious duardin mercenaries with a heart for battle and a lust for ur-gold. We’ll be getting sage words of advice from a veteran Fyreslayers player, and taking a look at some new options for Fyreslayer Heroes in the new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Among the duardin, the Fyreslayers are legendary. Part religious fanatic, part honour-bound soldier, part ruthless mercenary, every Fyreslayer is an heir to an ancient tradition of war dating back to the Age of Myth, when the duardin god Grimnir rampaged across Aqshy battling great beasts in search of glory.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Battleshot7ja.jpg

With Grimnir shattered in his titanic battle with the godbeast Vulcatrix, the Fyreslayers seek his remnants in the form of ur-gold, a mystical material that contains a portion of the lost god’s power. By smelting ur-gold into runes, Fyreslayers can unleash godly magics, enhancing their already prodigious might.

Now, the Fyreslayers march to war across the Mortal Realms in search of ur-gold, whether plundering it from the coffers of ancient empires, mining it from the ground itself or taking it as payment in exchange for their services in battle.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Subheader1yx.jpg

Who needs armour?

The Fyreslayers may not wear armour, but they’re terrifyingly tough to shift in combat thanks to mystical saves granted to them by their ur-gold runes. Wounds – mortal or otherwise – stand a solid chance of bouncing off your massed Vulkite Berzerkers and other Fyreslayers units without doing anything!

Deadly at any distance

The Fyreslayers are a highly flexible force – as well as possessing superb prowess in close combat, they’re happy to whittle foes down at range with throwing axes and other, stranger weapons, like the magmapikes wielded by Auric Hearthguard. 

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Hearthguard8gx.jp

Champions of Grimnir

With no fewer than 10 Hero choices to pick from, Fyreslayers armies are spoilt for choice when it comes to their leaders – you’ll be able to use yours to attack from underground tunnels, unleash deadly berzerkers or harness the power of fire-spitting Magmadroths. 

AoSNighthauntFF-May14-Subheader5k.jpg

Kev Chin is the man behind some of Warhammer’s most stirring and dramatic art – from one of the most iconic renditions of the Emperor ever made to the vignettes of Archaon that set the scene in Battletome: Everchosen. Kev’s true love, however, is for the Fyreslayers – here are his top tips for aspiring Runefathers:

What attracted you to the Fyreslayers?

Kev: They are the most outrageous-looking models out there  I just really like the visuals of them in the Age of Sigmar setting. In a world where monsters, heavily armoured super beings and Daemons reign, they go to war armed with their bare chest, huge axes, big beards and an epic mohawk.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Art20jv.jpg

What are your top tips for Fyreslayers players?

The Vulkite Berzerkers are the backbone of the army  it is never a bad thing to have many of them. Also, experiment with the colours and be brave. Fire actually has a lot of possible colours, and by varying the colours you can have a lot of fun mixing them up.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Berzerkers9ef.jpg

What advice would you give to a new Fyreslayers player?

Kev: The Start Collecting! Fyreslayers box is a real bargain and a very good starting point (no pun intended). The army relies on knowing when to invoke its mighty ur-gold runes (which they literally hammer into their body  how cool/mad is that?), so plan your battles and synergies around that. They can pack quite a blow when used correctly and take several more punches along the way if there are many of them in a unit or around a Battlesmith (hear his mighty songs and shake off those petty wounds). Go forth, Flamling! Grimnir watches and judges every deed!

AoSFFIronjawz-May17-Subheader2t.jpg

It’s a good time to be a Fyreslayer. With a series of powerful allegiance abilities in the last General’s Handbook (that’ll also be featured in this year’s edition) and some awesome kits to build your army from, it’s not hard to see why they’re one of Warhammer Age of Sigmar’s most popular armies. In the new edition, it’s all good news for the Fyreslayers, with the new and improved hero phase being particularly rewarding.

Fyreslayers armies are defined by their Heroes, and you’ll find taking several very rewarding in the new edition.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Hero9fr.jpg

With command abilities like Inspiring Presence, as well as At The Double and Forward to Victory, Heroes like your Doomseekers and Grimwrath Berzerkers won’t just be deadly close combat units – you’ll also be able to use them to enhance the rest of your army with commands.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Battalion6wv.jpg

Previously, Fyreslayers armies would only be able to benefit from one command ability, based on which Hero they picked as a general. Now, you can harness the full extent of your Runefather’s and Runeson’s powers, whether you’re adjusting your strategies on the fly or holding back to stack several benefits on the same unit. For example, an Auric Runeson on Magmadroth’s Furious Onslaught – which lets Fyreslayers roll 3 dice when they charge, discarding the lowest roll – with an Auric Runefather on foot’s Lodge Leader ability – which lets Fyreslayers pile in up to 5″ – is ideal for getting a large unit of Fyreslayers into position and effectively surrounding an enemy target.

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Magmadroth10tv.jp

Finally, Fyreslayers players will love the host of new magical artefacts available to them. In the new edition, every army will be able to choose from a huge list of options designed to represent the strange relics, weapons and trinkets unique to each of the Mortal Realms. Some of these are very thematic additions to the narrative of your army, while all offer a vast selection of choice for those who love character customisation.

The Magmadroth Blood Vials let you add a ranged attack to one of your Heroes (to accompany the rain of throwing axes from your troopers), while the Essence of Vulcatrix allows you to borrow some of the strength of the mother of salamanders (that’s her fighting Grimnir in the art above that Kev painted!).

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-BloodVials4tg.jpg

AoSFFFyreslayers-May18-Essence5rj.jpgThere are loads more of these artefacts – we’ll be previewing just what they are and where you can find them soon.

There are still more changes to be revealed – for the Fyreslayers, and for the other factions battling for the fate of the Mortal Realms. Come back tomorrow, when we’ll be checking out another faction based on powerful Heroes – the Hosts of Slaanesh – or you can kick off your Fyreslayers army now with the Start Collecting! set.

I like the relic Essence of Vulkatrix actually. 

If it's free I will take it but would you pay command points for it?

I am not sure there were anything really usefull in there but to be honest as long as we dont get hit by a huge nerf that they havnt mentioned yet we are ok I think.

• 2 weeks later...

What do people make of the changes so far then? 

Doesn't seem to be a lot that will directly affect us, apart from being able to use command abilities, so presumably runeson on magma and Runefather on foot will become the go to list! 

Something to contend with these magic changes would be very welcome. At least Khorne, who also have no magic, get lots of options to unbind! 

Have you ever gotten some models meant to be allies...and then suddenly realized you love playing the allies and they're becoming a main faction you play? Hi all, names Dez and I'm a Dwarfaholic.

Played another game, Triumph GT prep...handily brought a Plaguetouched Warband it's hat and showed it the door. Love this army, so many tools in the toolbox and the battleline is ferocious!

On 6/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, Dez said:

Played another game, Triumph GT prep...handily brought a Plaguetouched Warband it's hat and showed it the door. Love this army, so many tools in the toolbox and the battleline is ferocious!

Best battleline in the game easily. So much so that everyone hates them lol 

To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if they raised the cost of Vulkites again. But they would need to drop pretty much everything else to compensate. 

5 hours ago, Ruudy said:

From a video out there, new points in gh2018

Vulkites without discount
Runefather on foot +20
Battlesmith +40
Runesmitter +40

Battalions used goes up, not being used goes down

I saw one that say Vulkites are at 120 per 10 with no horde discount. 360 for 30 which is a 30pts increase at max and points increase at minimum. 

Archived