Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

I played a game against a Nurgle daemons list, basically the tallyband with a lot of plaguebearers and nine drones. I played a version of the list above but with a Runeson on magmadroth. We played Border Wars and the aurics won me the game clearing one flank by them selves while I could contest the other one with vulkites.

But the thing I wanted to say is that even if I dont think the Runeson on magmadroth is really worth it his command abillity is actually excellent. Rolling three dice and rerolling one on the charge made a small unit of vulkites get a 12" charge. I could then use the charge range to go between his units and put preasure (4 guys within range) on his 4pt objective. It took 2 turns for him to take them off. I was actually really close to scoring at one point after some shooting so he needed to reinforce. All in all it made it so that he could not put enough preasure on the Aurics or the other objectives.

I might agree that the Runeson is suboptimal but I think he is far from useless due to the command abillity. That being said this was a friendly game and against no filth list.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing. ☺️

I am thinking of going to a tournament in january. The thing is that it is 1500pt.

I can think of two good lists, which one should I take?

A:

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (220)

Battlesmith (100)

Auric Runesmiter (100)

Auric Runesmiter (100)

Vulkite Berzerkers x 20 (320) (Tunneling)

Vulkite Berzerkers x 15 (240)

Auric Hearthguard x 20 (400) (Tunneling)

B:

Battlesmith (100)

Auric Runesmiter (100)

Auric Runesmiter (100)

Vulkite Berzerkers x 20 (320) (Tunneling)

Vulkite Berzerkers x 15 (240)

Vulkite Berzerkers x 15 (240)

Auric Hearthguard x 20 (400) (Tunneling)

List A gives me the reroll wounds buff when Aurics drop and it gives me a fast semi-durable hero for three places of power.

List B gives me another unit that might be needed in for example blood and glory or border wars.

Which one do you like best (or do you have any other ideas)?

List A - also shrink the smaller Vulkite unit and put the bigger one up to 30 (or at least 25) for 2 turns of 4+ ward hopefully.

I don't see the value of the small Vulkite unit. The Aurics are Battleline in A. Either take a small HB unit (4+ ward) or a small Aurics unit.

Regarding the Runeson- it's painful that the Reckless trait overlaps with the command ability.

Conversely the Runesmiter on Magmadroth has the once per game aoe reroll wounds buff, which is massive since it plugs the gap in the first turn before the Runesmiters are able to apply their own targeted reroll wounds buff.

35 minutes ago, Nico said:

Regarding the Runeson- it's painful that the Reckless trait overlaps with the command ability.

Conversely the Runesmiter on Magmadroth has the once per game aoe reroll wounds buff, which is massive since it plugs the gap in the first turn before the Runesmiters are able to apply their own targeted reroll wounds buff.

Yes agree the runesmiter is much better. I used both in the game, double magmadroth. ☺️

Its 500pt but actually quite usefull in some games (but mostly cool).

It is ace in three places of power, especially of you get first turn. Run and take two objectives. Drop the vulkites and aurics in two lines and contest the third with one runesmiter. Shoot heros with the Aurics. Charge the vulkites with 3D6 reroll one. Win. ?

Another good thing is that if you run them together the opponent usually targets the runeson for some reason and the combined magma breath can be really dangerous when you charge in.

Regarding the command abillity it is a bit stronger than Reckless but I agree. We are usually rollers here so that also makes a differens.

35 minutes ago, Nico said:

List A - also shrink the smaller Vulkite unit and put the bigger one up to 30 (or at least 25) for 2 turns of 4+ ward hopefully.

I don't see the value of the small Vulkite unit. The Aurics are Battleline in A. Either take a small HB unit (4+ ward) or a small Aurics unit.

Try running 15 of them. They are not as easy to kill as one might think. Harder than 10 Hearthguards Bezerkers due to the 4+ save and on average roughtly the same amount of wounds facturing in the ward. But 10 would make them useless so I am not sure where to take points to add 5 more to the larger unit. Or are you thinking 5 HB and 25 vulkites, they seems to weak to really do anything, isn't it just a waste of points?

No the runemaster makes them battleline if he is the general. Which sucks.

OMG - this is awful.

Not least as I need to rewrite my Blood & Glory lists. That makes no sense at all - the Runesmiter is the hero that actually fits in with the Aurics.

The first day of the tournament is also double event (2 x 1000pt). What do you think of this list. ☺

Auric Runemaster (80) (General)
Auric Runesmiter (100)
Auric Runesmiter (100)
Vulkite Berzerkers x 20 (320) (Tunneling)
Auric Hearthguard x 20 (400) (Tunneling)

Could be interesting. Combine it with something tough and maybe defencive and shooty and I think it could be quite strong.

That's better:

LEADERS
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Artefact : Obstinate Blade
- Command Trait : Legendary Fighter
Auric Runesmiter (100)
- Latch axe & Fyresteel Throwing Axes

UNITS
Hearthguard Berzerkers x 10 (200)
- Throwing Axes & Poleaxe
Vulkite Berzerkers x 5 (80)
- War Pick Slingshield & Throwing Axes

I'm just going to have to roll a 9 for my charge.

24 minutes ago, Nico said:

That's better:

LEADERS
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (100)

UNITS
Vulkite Berzerkers x 5 (80)
- War Pick Slingshield & Throwing Axes

I'm just going to have to roll a 9 for my charge.

Is this for some 500pt skirmish?

If you have the models which the 5 vulkites for 5 HB, probably a little bit stronger.

To add some more tactics to the thread regarding the alpha strike (to new players).

This is (I think) is the optimal first turn alpha strike setup if it is possible. You might choose not to try to get the aurics within range of the battlesmith if that means you lose a lot of attacks being out of range from the target.

Setup1.png

Yeah - that diagram is exactly right. It's even better if your opponent has had to move forward in their first turn, in which case the range of the buff from the Battlesmith is less of an issue. The Battlesmith can run even with the Icon deployed thankfully - it's not like a Bloodsecrator.

Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot for your great advice and motivation towards Fyreslayers.

I am a completely new Fyreslayer player and your advice is of great help.

1) Regarding the alphastrike diagram I understand that Vulkites and Aurics are deployed via TUNNELING, is this correct?

2) In some weeks my community will start a scalation campaign being the 1st match at 500 points. Can you recommend me a balanced starting list?

Thanks a lot!

BR

lordneylon

1) Regarding the alphastrike diagram I understand that Vulkites and Aurics are deployed via TUNNELING, is this correct?

Yes.

2) In some weeks my community will start a scalation campaign being the 1st match at 500 points. Can you recommend me a balanced starting list?

This one:

LEADERS
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (100)

UNITS

Hearthguard Berzerkers x 5 (100)

I think you really have to go for alpha strike or semi-alpha strike with Fryeslayers. Trying to just bunker isn't going to work since you don't have any long range shooting and you need to score objectives.

500 is really hard for Fyreslayers as the Aurics if you still need 2 Battleline Units. Aurics only become Battleline if you have a Runesmaster as General - who is terrible anyway and has terrible synergy with the Command Traits. Vulkites are bad battleline units unless you can afford units of 20 or more.

Taking the Runedaddy as general allows you to use Hearthguard Berserkers as Battleline. You may be able to elect to have the opponent go second as you're only 3 drops (Runedaddy, Runesmiter and Hearthguard, Hearthguard). You drop the Hearthguard and Runesmiter exactly 9 inches away from the enemy's most juicy target. Roll the charge for the Hearthguard first, then if you make that one, try to get in with the Runesmiter too. Make sure at least one model is 10 inches away from the Runesmiter after the charge. Hopefully, you make the charge, smash face and then double turn them.

Failing that, you have to sit there and hope you win the double turn - if you do, give them the reroll wounds buff, move up,  throw axes, with reroll wounds, then charge easily.

If they win the next turn, then you just have to weather it, but you've got a 5+ save, then a 4+ ward save (don't let them kill the Runesmiter if you can.

The Runefather and other small unit of Hearthguard stay and defend objectives or run up to support you. 50% of any wounds on the Runefather will get taken onto the Hearthguard as mortal wounds and then half of them will be saved by their ward save 

16 minutes ago, Lordneylon said:

Thanks a lot for your great and deep advice.

Regarding Hearthguard WEAPON option is better for both units the polearm option? For MW purposes?

I agree with Nico that it is really hard to make a decent 500pt list. I would do this list if you are going to buy the models. Not that it's better, it's probably worse than Nico's list. But it is a better path to a decent 1000pt list and it is cheaper to buy.

Auric Runemaster (80)
Vulkite Berzerkers x 20 (320)
- War Pick Slingshield & Throwing Axes
Auric Hearthguard x 5 (100)
- Magmapike & Throwing Axes

I am not convinced which weapon option on the hearthguard is the best. In most cases the damage output is similar so you cant go that wrong with either one. The good thing with the poleaxe is the mortal wound if the enemy has a really high save but the bad thing is that it do not benefith from rerolling wound rolls which is very easy to get for fyreslayers. I have 10 HB with poleaxes but if I would have built them now I would have gone for the other option.

Good points @Andreas

I went for the mortal wounds option as the rest of the army lacks them - especially when I wasn't even planning to run the Magmadroth. It's a close cut thing. The reroll wounds still helps the Poleaxes somewhat as you resolve the attack as normal as well as doing the mortal wounds. However if you're building up to a block of 20+ as a hammer, then I would go for the Axes. Also better vs Skaven shields.

One serious practical deterrent is that the Runedaddy, Runesmiter are only available in the Magmadroth box. On the upside I converted my Runeson to be another Runesmiter - as you get 3 Complete models in that box. This doesn't help with an Escalation Campaign!

Another thing to discuss :), what do you target with the auric alpha strike? I know it depends on the battleplan etc but in general.

Some simple examples are: If facing a Setra list you take out Setra. If facing list built around a death star you probably kill the death star if its doable etc..

But what about lets say sylvaneth. Do you kill the kurnoth hunter with bows first that are a threat to the aurics or durtu who is a beatstick or the ancient that facilitates a lot of the sylvaneth tricks?

Bloodbound, do you try to take out both bloodsecrators or for example a big unit of skullreapers?

Or a ironjaws list with a lot of units where pretty much everthing costs 180pt.

What is the priority order between: Super heroes, buffing machines, death stars, ranged threats, flyers etc..?

28 minutes ago, Nico said:

If facing Settra you do the maths on whether you will wipe out the unit of Necropolis Knights and if so kill them. Otherwise you kill the Liche Priest and the Tomb King. Ignore Settra.

That's very interesting, i havnt played Settra but talked to a guy (a good player IMO) who har just got tabled by Settra and he said if only... And I thought I could kill Settra easily. ☺️

This is whats makes the alpha strike list both good and hard to play.

Edit: 3 necroplis knights, that's easy but 6 you need to rely on the double turn. Liche priest and tomb King that should be easy so that is probably the way to go. But isn't Settra the driver behind the buffs... hmm need to play them.

Did some quick calculation on Settra... not kill easily but just on average I think. That's a tough guy.

Remember that the Knights are only 5+ saves vs shooting. So only 6+, 6++ vs Hearthguard. 30 wounds is a lot to chew through, but gamewinner right there if you kill the unit.

Settra on the other hand is a 4+, 5++, 6++. Or worse if he's in cover. 6 Knights aren't getting cover on any table I've seen.

Archived