Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

The only thing I wish: Stealing the Magma Cannons from the Chaos Dwarfs! It would fit perfectly in the fyreslayers fluff and we would get a ranged mortal wounds threat. I think all our problems would be solved :)

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tihnk that we mostly need options can make Fyreslayers to have more diffrent tactics then what we have now (that are similiar from game to game). I really hope that GW will do something even if I guess it will take a while.

14 hours ago, Ulfast said:

fyreslayers riding on small magmalizards.

This sounds awesome.

I hope gw spend time to think of a cool mechanic unique to fyreslayers, like DoT have destiny dice, Stormcast have Scions of the storm and Sylvaneth have their wyldwoods. 

What do people think would be a cool rule to reflect their narrative themes? 

Something to emphasise their control over magma would be cool. They can build lava bridges and call down volcanic explosions so that would be cool to represent somehow.

Yes, we as a faction has pretty cool minatures and several nice units but it feels we could use 2-3 more units. Really hope GW is listning and have something planned for us. :) I´m positive that they do.

On another note, what do you think is a good choice for a general under 1000p and above 1000p?

1. some kind of shooting attack, eather  a machine/monster or a unit with better shooting weapons

2. faster units. Perhaps something like fyreslayers riding on small magmalizards.

3. some magic support or prayers. Allready have the models, just need something extra

4. rules, similiar to the stormcast with more unique command traits, magical items etc.

5. Some new cool general, perhaps a female fyrelsayer?

I like most the ideas, make it prayers not magic as dwarfs are anti magic in general. But #5 do we really need another hero? I think we need another unit or 2. we have 9 hero"s (I think) and only 3 units. Hero's tend to be cost heavy for what they do most of the time. for example The Grimwrath is 100pts has 6 wounds, 4+ save,  shoots 1 shot, 4 close combat attacks. The Hearthguard is also 100pts totals 5 wounds, 5+ save, shoots 5 shots, 5 close combat attacks. Both can get extra attacks in CC, and have a 6+(ward) save that is modifiable. The unit you loose 1 wound and has a save of 5+  over the 4+ but its 5 models on an objective instead of 1. So the unit will help more in most objective games, but hey  Grimwrath is way kool and may kill more.  But thats a cheap hero. Look at say the Runeson on magmadroth at 280pts thats 10 Hearthguard and 5 Vulkite, now the units have 15 wounds to the 12 and will do 15 shooting attacks over 3 (not same kind of shots though) but will be 20 close combat attacks over 8 and all have a ward save the hero dose not. and is 20 models over 1 on an objective in all but 3 places of power the units will help win the game more often. I really like #1 & 2 a fast unit and a shooty one I think will make the Fyreslayers a force to deal with.

On 17/03/2017 at 0:00 AM, Carnelian said:

What do people think would be a cool rule to reflect their narrative themes? 

I would see some kind of rule that reflect the effect of thoses runes they have everywhere in the body. Maybe some one-use beserker action.

well, just finished my 2K list for Adepticon this weekend and after playing with new points it's depressing to go back. I recommend at least 50, minimum, since each also has 8" nerf axes to throw under weight of fire. We;re a horde army, spread out for max buffs and objectives. Also as many bodies in vulkites to keep that Hair Save at a 4+ for as long as possible. List I'm taking settled on 70 infantry (25 vulkites, 20 vulkites, 20 hearthguard, 5 aurics). Then 5 heroes plus one son on Magmagomb since I like the model and need the bleeding/puking. The rider is inconsequential for me.

I had a couple of beardling questions since I want to use some Fyreslayers. I notice reading the thread that large units of Vulkites are preferred with shield and pick, and I understand why. Do you ever consider using dual axes at any unit size?

Also, regarding tunneling Runesmiters. Do you keep them with the key or ever swap it? Has anyone had success converting these, as far as I know the only way to get one is the magmadroth kit?

1 hour ago, Rune Keeper said:

I had a couple of beardling questions since I want to use some Fyreslayers. I notice reading the thread that large units of Vulkites are preferred with shield and pick, and I understand why. Do you ever consider using dual axes at any unit size?

Also, regarding tunneling Runesmiters. Do you keep them with the key or ever swap it? Has anyone had success converting these, as far as I know the only way to get one is the magmadroth kit?

Good qestion on the vulkites. Though from what I have read the Dual axel are the more popular choice!

Thanks for the infantry answer :) I have 65 in my 2000 points so I feel safe.

@Rune Keeper @Urbanus it's preference but i always take dual axes. To me the reroll is required for my unique unholy bad dice luck (though been on a winning streak so this is clearly working)  as they are a great to pop up and kill/take objectives. To me the shield (while admittedly looks cooler)  is a waste imo and the save not worth it...it's the Hair Save by numbers in unit that's important. To each their own. 

Also, they are not always the tunnel unit but often are. Sometimes in objective games you need to start the score counter early and vs heavy shooting I just sent them a juicy target until the unit needs to pop up and go for it.

I have opted for the pick and shield combo. The reroll hits with dual axes is very tempting, and I think it's marginal which is better. For me though, I like the additional mortal wound output on the charge and having some rend. If you're also using the unit close to a battlesmith then you're benefitting from the +1 save twice, because of the reroll. You're then potentially looking at 3 chances at a 4+ save with the reroll and the ward, making them very durable. Personal preference though I think 

I need 2 more vulkite boxes. One to complete now 2 units of  30 double axe and then 10 shields to try out a unit of 20. The 10 I have are only used in maximizing points games often as throw-away or camp objectives. Maybe they'll be better at 20. I'm willing to give them a go at larger. 

Of course, KO are interrupting my efforts to expand my Lodge collection:D Maybe my formerly 3800ish pts army can move from  now 2500 pts up to 3K soon with these, more hearthguard and a 3rd Magmabomb.

Tactica Magmabomb ...

If I understand this the idea is to tunnel in a magmadroth behind enemy lines and breath/bleed as much damage as possible before it's inevitable demise.

Usually it's a son, but why not the smiter? It's cheaper and the lizard is the same. Is it just because it's a waste of the smiter and his buffs? Your saving 40 points by going with him over the son which is half another smiter on foot. 

Did I miss anything?

I love the magmadroth and am looking to maximize its use and find a reason to buy a third one to include in a 2k list.

1 hour ago, Slave2Chaos said:

Tactica Magmabomb ...

If I understand this the idea is to tunnel in a magmadroth behind enemy lines and breath/bleed as much damage as possible before it's inevitable demise.

Usually it's a son, but why not the smiter? It's cheaper and the lizard is the same. Is it just because it's a waste of the smiter and his buffs? Your saving 40 points by going with him over the son which is half another smiter on foot. 

Did I miss anything?

I love the magmadroth and am looking to maximize its use and find a reason to buy a third one to include in a 2k list.

The term came from maximizing its efficacy by dealing our mortal wounds since sadly hitting on 4 is rough. Since apparently we are a curious sight I like to give new opponents one to see, and with new points that'll be much easier and, more importantly, more fun ;) 

No matter how you get him wedged in there, 3" combat with as many units as possible to bleed each Phase. Ideally larger units for tail since he can't hit single models. Also better to puke on for the D6 mortal wounds. Tunnel or charge straight up, he's gotta be close and like the Grimwrath in kill pockets of many foes to become better. If you get a Phoenix stone on to give even one more round of bleeding that's cool. 

To me usually a smiter on foot is way better so I use the son as the preferred throw-away. As always damned or mystical terrain Is a good buff option if possible.

Here is my current 1k "get started" list using the new points. Any way I could improve?

What are your ideas on how to take it to 1500 points, just add 25-30 more Vulkites and maybe 10 hearthguard for some shooting? Should I be focusing on a particular warscroll battalion?

Allegiance: Order

Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Auric Runefather (80)
- General
- Trait: Legendary Fighter or Reckless 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Forge Key
Battlesmith (80)
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (160)
- Poleaxes
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (360)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Total: 1000/1000

Finishing up my Warhammer Fest list, and was going for a theme in the list. It's mixed order and goes a little like this. It uses old points and is 1750

Heros:

Runesmiter on Magmadroth

2xRunesmiters

1xDoomseeker

Battleline

1x25 Beserkers with Shields

1x15 Beserkers with Shields

1x15 Beserkers with double axes

Units

1x6 Kurnoth Hunters or 2x3 Kurnoth hunters. With Bows

I haven't picked artefacts yet. Any thoughts?

Archived