Let's chat Fyreslayers

Nico

16 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

While I get the appeal of an all-tunnel army I'm not a fan and reserve that only for a skaven list which does that. Not fun for me at least. That said, tunneling 3 units can be very nice. Most i've ever tunneled was 2x25 vulkites and a Magmabomb. If I deploy my Lodge with enemies that can pop up adhering to more than 9" away I do my best not to give them room. Opponents usually leave me just enough room to conga a bubble on the table edge :) 

Just my own personal Jes...I mean, opinion.

That's fair enough :) I really like the tunneling aspect to the slayers. Just been waiting for it to be priced right!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey pals
I read everywhere people using droth as "magmabombs " so I wanted to ask you how you'd do that? Using which heroes?
And I was wondering if the blood ability triggers at the end of a combat phase in which the droth dies?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hey pals
I read everywhere people using droth as "magmabombs " so I wanted to ask you how you'd do that? Using which heroes?
And I was wondering if the blood ability triggers at the end of a combat phase in which the droth dies?

This (like Pano's Reality Splitting Axe) probably comes down to literal vs purposive construction. 

Literally, as the model isn't on the table that rule probably doesn't work (I've not checked the wording in detail).

Purposively, the rule should work, as the triggering requirements have been met and the Magma has plainly spurted everywhere during the combat phase (you could say that the literal interpretation leads to an absurdity, which is one aspect of purposive interpretation).

Once you invoke the rule of cool (which is not to be overused) - the answer becomes abundantly clear - for the Reality Splitting Axe must surely allow for the awesomeness of two heroes having a duel only for one to kill the other and the other to kill the one (on that tantalising 5+....) as it dies. Denying this from happening on the top table just so that you can win the event - might not be cool....

You could even dice it off, if your opponent isn't happy, which might lead to even more drama.

1 hour ago, Gengis137 said:

Hey pals

Hey, this is my fault for starting Fyreslayers terms the month of their release so just so you know before I happily explain this :) (Flamling = "young Fyreslayer/any of us players; rune pappy = father; magmabomb = see below).

Magmabomb is more than a cute term, it refers to a strategy. Sadly, I'm known in many countries as I (Kenny from Combat Phase podcast) have legendary unholy dice rolls where math does not apply to me. Players start games saying "nah, you'll see," then slowly start to realize :) Though, lately my hair saves have been quite strong and above average! Even so, the magmabomb & rider hit on 4s...sad. So while there is potential for damage output, it could be better. What DOES almost always pump out damage is the droth, usually bleeding. He pukes 15/5, so in combat you are w/in 5" and D6 mortal wounds if you get a good target. Tail lash would be better if you could hit single models, but meh. You bleed EVERY phase, so jam that magmabomb into a kill pocket with as many units as possible. I've started giving mine the 6+ Hair save (ward saves) command trait and the phoenix stone since every round he lives he potentially dishes out damage. So, like a grenade. 

Sadly, my inner dwarf/duardin player had a lot of trouble with this, but two of our units work best sacrificed. Magmabomb as above, and battlesmith--though awesome rerolls while alive--but when he dies on objective or key spot you can lock your units (like hearthguard ealing additional MW on 3+) to defend the fallen icon and re-roll hits and wounds. AMAZING! I take 2, and they've been game winning. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Haha great! So it's a no for tournaments?
But then I don't see the bombing part of a droth tunneling in front of the adverse line as he's not likely to survive 1 turn shots+melee and still have energy to bleed out everywhere ..

I often tunnel a son on magmabomb side or behind to charge into an optimal pocket. Like realmgate, tunnel, or just running, a Grimwrath's hair save increases per enemy unit within 3". A few times I've gotten the 2+ for a long time. Think horde armies, or death, destruction, skaven...

What DOES almost always pump out damage is the droth, usually bleeding. He pukes 15/5, so in combat you are w/in 5" and D6 mortal wounds if you get a good target. Tail lash would be better if you could hit single models, but meh. You bleed EVERY phase, so jam that magmabomb into a kill pocket with as many units as possible. I've started giving mine the 6+ Hair save (ward saves) command trait and the phoenix stone since every round he lives he potentially dishes out damage. So, like a grenade. 

The breath is not a ranged attack (like the Heraldor), so you can run and still use it, which helps a lot.

With a dose of luck, the Magmadroth can really hurt units of single wound models (but is really poor against low model count units or heroes).

Even so, the magmabomb & rider hit on 4s...sad. So while there is potential for damage output, it could be better. 

This is a big understatement. Hitting on 4 for the rider is spectacularly bad, especially when -1 to hit debuffs are commonplace.

It has just occurred to me that you could use Damned Terrain (in the middle of the table) to not only add +1 to hit, but also to cause damage to the Magmadroth in your own hero phase - more Magma Bleeding damage!

It genuinely does do most of its damage by bleeding to death - endless comedy. Although it's not got anything on the almighty quadruple Jabberslythe list (crushing Ironjawz and Khorne forever).

Haha great! So it's a no for tournaments?

Just in case there was any doubt, I would play it that if it dies in the phase it still bleeds (and then dice off if the opponent objects or ask for a TO ruling if you can spare the time). Thankfully, GW do use purposive interpretation increasingly for AoS (maybe not in all of their games). 

The Runesmiter on Magmadroth was genuinely useful even before the points changed, that's the one to look at first I would suggest.

The Runeson on foot is a very handy and cheap hard counter to Icon filth in the DoT list (I believe that it changes their Destiny Dice rigged 1s to a 2, so no D6 models back on the Pink Horrors).

But how would you sequence the whole runeson-droth-bomb strategy technically? Cus a charge of 9" is more likely to fail and then-> no bleeding during his hero/shooting phase
Even if I don't underestimate the power of attraction it can deploy onto the opponent focus ^^

@Nico yeah, the riders suck. I never count on them for close combat. They will on average deliver 1 wound which will be saved. And yes a good run and puke is good for heart health :) I'll refrain from my usual TT banter here in case anyone could be offended ;) 

Also son on foot is good as general if you have a sideboard in an event from his command trait so vs. Ogres or anything using mostly W3 or higher. Otherwise, ****** him 

@Gengis137 with the magmabomb, like anything, you just gotta go for it. If he tunnels then yeah, you rely on 9" charge. If he's on foot, movement 12 then try and line up. If its's heavy shooting I keep things tunneled as long as works to deny them targets. But at some point you just gotta go for it. Try and line up so that if you fail they will charge you, and try as much to use terrain and other models to optimize the best outcome.

2 minutes ago, Gengis137 said:

Got it thx buds emoji1303.png
I'm playing tmr against a filthy tzeentch list of a friend who's gone too arrogant with the new battletome I can't afford to lose emoji36.png

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. For the Lodge and Grimnir!

I'm planning on playing that:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (200)
- Latch axe
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Latch axe
Battlesmith (80)
- None
Auric Runemaster (80)
- General
- Trait: Reckless
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)

Battleline
10 x Auric Hearthguard (160)
- Magmapike & Throwing Axes
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runemaster General)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (80)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (80)
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (160)
- Throwing Axes & Broadaxe
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)
25 x Vulkite Berzerkers (300)
- War Pick & Slingshield
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (80)
- Throwing Axes & Broadaxe
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)

Units

Battalions
Forge Brethren (80)

Total: 1960/2000

So I'll keep my personal preferences out of this and just go with what you have if you can get to shooting monsters that he has and can manage to wouldn't you rather five up and have the slowly cooling magma on the monsters that to help .  ThoUgh I will have to say for the hearthguard  for  that I would use the flaming  poleaxes  because if you manage to even wound and do the two damage  I don't think there's a lot that would be as beneficial instead of using the moral wounds and the chance for the regular working.  Do be wise with your use of the volcanoes call for board control and also to put some mortal wounds out on his guys and that may help you better lineup his Avenue to charge if you don't make your charge 

@Gengis137 skyfires seem really boss. I'd tunnel two units to keep them safe as targets for a few rounds. That said, you'll have to go eventually and I'd expect he'd delete your 5 man aurics quickly with those. Just a thought, of course, as one whose not actually playing the game that hasn't even happened yet ;) 

also, please do tell how it goes for both sides in your game. I bought a box of skyfires to use the discs for my 40k Thousand Sons and tzaangors as twistbrays but at Holy Wars I won the DoT battletome, chariot (and harpies I gave to a player who wants Chaos) so the signs are suggesting I play DoT... fate, perhaps, or Tzeentch himself???? ??

I just had game 101 with solo Fyreslayers now 10 games with new points 5 matched 5 narrative with points and since aurics get deleted fast having another unit was cool but 10 more hearthguard with heroes nearby for 4+ hair save was massive in this game. Overwhelmed the enemy for border war major victory.

• 3 weeks later...

So, as we all know the stormcast got an update with new rules, points, book and miniatures. If GW should give us the same treatment ( I guess a bit unsure right now as the new duardin is on there way and they seems to get a lot of new things) what could we use? My ideas are:

1. some kind of shooting attack, eather  a machine/monster or a unit with better shooting weapons

2. faster units. Perhaps something like fyreslayers riding on small magmalizards.

3. some magic support or prayers. Allready have the models, just need something extra

4. rules, similiar to the stormcast with more unique command traits, magical items etc.

5. Some new cool general, perhaps a female fyrelsayer?!

What do you guys/girls think?

Archived