Let's chat Skaven tactics

Dez

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Same Same. And the weird thing about making stormvermin battleline for me is, that I woud never field a whole 2000 points on only stormvermin. I would always take 2 or three units of Clanrats. So yes it gives you options but it's not that big of a deal for me. Other people might disagree of course.

It might also be that after painting 100 something Clanrats i'm not doing the same for stormvermin ;)

I wish there was a REALLY like button because I could not like this comment enough! So agree! Painting that many clanrats was painful. Im even dreading getting the stormvermin up to 40 strong lol.

Also, an army needs some chaff, and stormvermin although great are pricey!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Same Same. And the weird thing about making stormvermin battleline for me is, that I woud never field a whole 2000 points on only stormvermin. I would always take 2 or three units of Clanrats. So yes it gives you options but it's not that big of a deal for me. Other people might disagree of course.

It might also be that after painting 100 something Clanrats i'm not doing the same for stormvermin ;)

Exactly! Haha i feel you brother, currently in the process of painting and rebasing 120 clanrats?

16 minutes ago, Kramer said:

@Kosmion @Flood, hahaha it's the pain of clanrats that unites us all ;) 

Somewhere I want to rebase, but it would be such an hassle that currently i'm fine with square bases. 

Hahah yep! And after those, i have some 60 skeletons to start with??Oh believe me its soo worth it! Looking at my army now, its just so much prettier and coherent. Other stuff like stormfiends and the heroes look especially good too! Vallejo texture paste and some fine sand and youre good to go...and alot of dedication and patiense..

17 minutes ago, Kosmion said:

and alot of dedication and patiense.

And time. But with a backlog of 260 models (Got a lot of left over stuff from my brother and did the maths on it last weekend).

It's time to work through that or make the decision that I never will and just get rid of it. So that  takes priority. And the temptation of the new Slaanesh Start collecting is so hard to resist :D

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

And time. But with a backlog of 260 models (Got a lot of left over stuff from my brother and did the maths on it last weekend).

It's time to work through that or make the decision that I never will and just get rid of it. So that  takes priority. And the temptation of the new Slaanesh Start collecting is so hard to resist :D

Haha yea the temptation of new armies are a constant problem. Saw that Brayherds will be getting abillities...

I might have missed something, but again, looking at the warhammer community pages, I need to find another 60/120points of clanrats to make my Verminous Clawpack list legal? 

Using a 30/10/10 list at the minute, if I level them all out to 20 each I'll need to find at least 60 points. The only other unit I can change the 'value' of is my stormvermin (30 strong atm) so they go to 20 or I have drop something else from my list. 

It's not looking like it'll be a good update for the verminous skaven...

3 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

I might have missed something, but again, looking at the warhammer community pages, I need to find another 60/120points of clanrats to make my Verminous Clawpack list legal? 

Using a 30/10/10 list at the minute, if I level them all out to 20 each I'll need to find at least 60 points. The only other unit I can change the 'value' of is my stormvermin (30 strong atm) so they go to 20 or I have drop something else from my list. 

It's not looking like it'll be a good update for the verminous skaven...

I don't really get your point? (even assuming that we still get to use the battalion). But you can't use units of 10 any more, minimum size of clanrats went up. So its 120 points for 20 clanrats. So

3 units of clanrats 3x200= 600pt
1 unit of Stormvermin 40= 500pt
                         1x Warlord = 100pt

Assuming the weapon teams are the same it's: 3x60= 180 pt

Total is 1380 

Or am I missing something?

AoSGenHandbookBalance_Verminus4gds.jpg

My 2k list includes a clawpack battalion plus additional models to make a full 2,000 points.

The battalion itself costs 1320 points under the current points. (including two units of 10 clanrats).

Under the new points (and minimum 20 Clanrats blocks) my battalion will cost me 1380 points.

That additional 60 points is used elsewhere in my 2k list. Either by individual models (e.g vermin lord) or by units where I'm at the minimum quantity eg. Stormfiends (3)

The only way I can make the 'savings' necessarily to achieve the battalion requirements is to remove a unit not in my battalion or reduce the size of my stormvermin.

So, currently the new rules are a negative to my current list as I need remove/reduce a more powerful unit and replace it with clanrats.. A poor trade for the sake of these min20 units.

To keep the cost, of points I need to find, down, that also includes reducing a unit of 30 rats to 20 (3*20 units) so im also having to reduce the effectiveness of an existing clanrats unit and the bonuses they get at larger numbers.

I hope that makes sense?

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

My 2k list includes a clawpack battalion plus additional models to make a full 2,000 points.

The battalion itself costs 1320 points under the current points. (including two units of 10 clanrats).

Under the new points (and minimum 20 Clanrats blocks) my battalion will cost me 1380 points.

That additional 60 points is used elsewhere in my 2k list. Either by individual models (e.g vermin lord) or by units where I'm at the minimum quantity eg. Stormfiends (3)

The only way I can make the 'savings' necessarily to achieve the battalion requirements is to remove a unit not in my battalion or reduce the size of my stormvermin.

So, currently the new rules are a negative to my current list as I need remove/reduce a more powerful unit and replace it with clanrats.. A poor trade for the sake of these min20 units.

To keep the cost, of points I need to find, down, that also includes reducing a unit of 30 rats to 20 (3*20 units) so im also having to reduce the effectiveness of an existing clanrats unit and the bonuses they get at larger numbers.

I hope that makes sense?

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Makes more sense but they way I read it is you are telling me your favorite 2k list doesn't work because of the change in points and rules, correct? 

To be honest I hope people get disappointed in this manner every ghb release. With the hordes rule, and the other changes, I feel they are shaping the game to their vision of the gaming side of AoS. That vision seems to in Encourage more core troops in bigger blocks and discourage choosing the cheapest battleline in the grand alliance and filling up with goodies. That logically means that some lists and concepts don't seem to work anymore. 

But that is all so depended on the whole game and not a specific faction that to me it feels way to soon and a bit to specific to lament a rule change based on the cost increasing for that one list you like to run. ?

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

[my] 2k list doesn't work because of the change in points and rules, correct?

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. 

I do agree with you that things do and should be shaken up with new releases, keeps folks on their toes and stops things getting stagnant.

I'm just being melancholy about it as it's not some list i've been running for years which i'm hoping stays the same - it's something i've been buying, building, painting since May towards a single goal - a project - that now needs to change. 

It's the way of things for sure, I'm just a little sad that it's when i'm so close to achieving my 'goal'. c'est la vie!

19 minutes ago, Dead_Ghost said:

's something i've been buying, building, painting since May towards a single goal - a project - that now needs to change. 

Yeah that does suck. Especially if you're so close to finishing it. What's the full list by the way?

• 3 weeks later...

Well the new FAQ's are up as well as Forge World updates. The net effects for me are that my Warlord on Brood Horror got better, but went up 20 points. Second the Skaven chieftain with battle standard no longer gives battle shock protection and will be dropped from my list. On the upside, this made the decision on what to drop to compensate for the price hikes on misc things easier.

1 hour ago, bonzai said:

Well the new FAQ's are up as well as Forge World updates. The net effects for me are that my Warlord on Brood Horror got better, but went up 20 points. Second the Skaven chieftain with battle standard no longer gives battle shock protection and will be dropped from my list. On the upside, this made the decision on what to drop to compensate for the price hikes on misc things easier.

The Warlord on Brood Horror looks like it can actually do some work now

20 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

The Warlord on Brood Horror looks like it can actually do some work now

Yeah, much less random, more solid offense, and heals automatically now. I just wish they modified the key words so it would work in a claw pack. 

10 minutes ago, bonzai said:

Yeah, much less random, more solid offense, and heals automatically now. I just wish they modified the key words so it would work in a claw pack. 

Yeah about that...all the clawpacks are gone. All old battalions from the compendium are gone for all factions. So now you dont have to worry about the keyword lol 

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah about that...all the clawpacks are gone. All old battalions from the compendium are gone for all factions. So now you dont have to worry about the keyword lol 

Bummer. Haven't gotten my physical copy yet, was hoping it was just something I had missed . Well that takes away some power from my list. I may have to re-think some things.

Archived