Let's chat Skaven tactics

Dez

5 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

@bonzai ha, yes, yes I was. No idea why I tagged cooleyo in it. 

Thanks for the response. I guess the consistency you mention at the end is a reason I've not seen it more often in lists, but hell - it's a crazy nice model. 

Yeah, the only drawback to it is that it is an 8 wound model with a 4+ save. There are quite a few units out there that can dish out 16 wounds, or less with rend. You just have to think before you commit

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there fellow rat mates!

I'm also enjoying the rats in AoS so much, especially the Skryre clan with their always laughable (overcharging) rule they got. The only thing that disappoints me is their lack of bravery. It seems that a BSB is always a must in the list since the General cannot boost all the units with his Inspiring Presence unlesss you're lucky with your Crown artefact. Every game i lost was due to battleshock. So i learned the hard way and thus i'm always bringing a BSB in almost every list.

In a vanguard deployment (1000points) im going:

1x Skaven Warlord (1WFB+shield)

1x Skaven Engineer

1x BSB

20x Clanrats (spears)

20x Clanrats (spears)

3x Jezzails / 2x Warpfire throwers

20xStormvermin / 3xStormfiends

Depending in which army im against going either 3xjezzails +Stormvermin or 2xWarpfire throwers +3xStormfiends. Any suggestions/ideas for 1000points list are welcome cause i got pwnd really hard recently from the Stormcast dudes. xD

On 5/24/2017 at 9:11 AM, Dead_Ghost said:

So, kitting out Stormfiends. 

Do folks go straight for the warpfire? or is there any love for Shock Gauntlets etc?
Does this change as you add more models to the mix? 

I go straight for warpfire, except I'll got with Shock Gauntlets if I'm running a packmaster or five.  Not really used many of the others. 

Hey, I am lookiing to include some clan pestilence into my nurgle army.

I was wondering how to utilize the plague furnace with monks and if the priests are worth it.

Any advice?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Dead_Ghost said:

It is that.
Not sure what I'd use if for yet though. Any one had any ideas?

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

I think it could become a really cool Grey Seer or Packmaster, the right hand does need to be removed and ideally the paint job makes him a bit dirtier but you can really use it as a different Hero in my opinion. 

I think it could become a really cool Grey Seer or Packmaster, the right hand does need to be removed and ideally the paint job makes him a bit dirtier but you can really use it as a different Hero in my opinion. 

I'm terrible entertained by the idea of this guy being an assassin. Otherwise due to being as armored as he is I'd convert it to be a warlord.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, brian.mapp.50 said:

I'm terrible entertained by the idea of this guy being an assassin. Otherwise due to being as armored as he is I'd convert it to be a warlord.

Would be genius! I also think it could be a really cool Censer Bearer, just add boils and a wicked flail.

10 hours ago, brian.mapp.50 said:

Hahaha if you ever do so make sure to share a photo :D 

I will probably convert one into a packmaster, just to have a unique general option in a Moulder list. Just need to convert some weapons on him (I have some Nid lashwhips/toxicrene tentacles that might work well), and put an extra wolf Rat from the Doom Wheel on his shoulder and he should be good to go.

Just one question for all skaven warlords ouside: do you think is there any possibility of using  slaves in a verminous army today? Or are they a thing of the past? Of course I know they are terrible, but they could be interesting form a modelling point of view.. and very fluffy in a skaven army!!

Posted in the general skirmish thread on the Chaos board but will post again here:

I'm planning on making a Skaven list for skirmish since I like the models but don't fancy painting up tons of rats for a normal army. Gonna go with the Warlord for general but not sure whether to fill the bulk of the list with Clanrats or Plague Monks (or a mix of both). Clanrats have a save while Monks have an extra attack, what are other people's thoughts?

I only play occasionally with friends so I'm aiming for a 50 renown list for one off games, will be using something like Rat Ogors, weapon teams or a Stormfiend as a 'centrepiece' for the warband as well as one or two Stormvermin for variety.

@Ferrus65, reckon a couple of slaves wouldn't go amiss on a base with the fat skaven BB player above. 
Could imagine him with a retinue attending his every need (Food mostly from the looks of things).

Wider use, perhaps in the groups of '10 clanrats' that are often used in a verminous list. Using them as small groups of meat shields seems pretty fitting for the slaves. 

4 minutes ago, Dead_Ghost said:

Cross posting this question.

Clawpack with tretch and a warlord. Which one do you put at the head of the clawpack?

If tretch, does he get access to two command abilities?

Tretch as the General for his command ability. The Warlord needs to be the 'Warlord' taken in the Clawpack because Ttretch is a special character.

Tretch does not get 2 command abilities, and he cannot be the warlord for the clawpack as Dez eluded to. The command ability the warlord uses goes off as a batallion special and has nothing to do with a generals ability. 

@flood, I seem to remember reading a snippet from an FAQ that mentioned named characters being used for warscroll battalions.

Think the example was skarsnik leading a battalion as he had the war boss keyword.

Have I misremembered that? Tretch has the Skaven Warlord keyword required by the verminus battalion.

Either way, I think ill run a warlord as my battalion head. But worth knowing for future reference - will see if I can find it.

9 hours ago, Dead_Ghost said:

@flood, I seem to remember reading a snippet from an FAQ that mentioned named characters being used for warscroll battalions.

Think the example was skarsnik leading a battalion as he had the war boss keyword.

Have I misremembered that? Tretch has the Skaven Warlord keyword required by the verminus battalion.

Either way, I think ill run a warlord as my battalion head. But worth knowing for future reference - will see if I can find it.

This is correct, but you don't want him to as he misses out on the extra command because he is an named character.

Really?! Oh that's so weird. I realize the named characters like tretch and queek have the skaven warlord keyword which was the main factor deciding whether or not a unit can be taken for a batallion, but their command ability isn't right. The batallion special rule "Lead From The Back" doesn't make sense if you take a character other than a generic warlord. It reads, "This batallion's warlord can use his 'gnash gnaw on their bones' ability even if he is not your general." The thing is, tretch doesn't have "gnash gnaw on their bones." He has, "hack-hack, slash-slash." So, how does this sentence in the batallion special rule make sense if you take tretch? Basically, you wouldn't get to use "Lead From The back." Is this what you mean by, "he misses out on the extra command ability" @Dez?

Archived