Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

Yeah there are a few ways to do it:

1) Swap your wolf riders for Gitmob Grots

2) Swap your Chukkas for Lobbas, and drop the Skulkers, to free up 100 points

3) Split up your unit of 40 to cover two units of Battleline

You will need some combo of the above, but I do like the idea of a block of 40 with bows as a receptacle for the Shaman spell and Inspiring presence.

Also it's good to have at least one unit of Wolves for speed and objective grabbing. 

Plus the Skulkers are a cool ambush unit.

But something has to give!

Personally I'd go with the Lobbas (no LOS is huge), switch 1 unit of Wolves for 20 Grots, and drop the Skulkers to get another 20 Grots.  That way you keep your "Death Star" block of 40 Grots, 3 artillery pieces and at least have one unit of Cav?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Moonclan grot list for fun, mainly based on the models I have more than anything else and decided to add a Spiderfang contingent than shooting 

Alliance ; Destruction

Grot Warboss & Cave Squig

Fungoid Shaman (G)

Arachnarok Spider Shaman

Spiderfang Boss on Giant Spider

-

40 Moonclan grots Spears n Shields,  nets 

20 Cave Squigs & 2 Squig herders

6 fanatics

10 Spider Riders

-

Mangler Squigs

Mangler Squigs

1980pts

General idea is to run the Grot Warboss with Squig along with the Manglers and huge Cave Squig unit using his ability to double the damage on the units d3s or the Mangler Squigs crazy damage output on wound rolls of 6

I still haven't played it but like the idea of the Spiderfang, again running them to close to get both the double mortal wounds on a vemon attack cast from the Shaman and making that venom attack hit on a 5,6 from the hero. So any Spider attack hitting on 5 or 6 do 2 mortal wounds

Again this is based on models I had for Fantasy Battle than anything else, I do also have 2 gargants, 2 spear chukkas, 2 rock lobbers, 20 Moonclan with bows, another 10 with Spears, shamans and warbosses galore 

So I have a couple of lists I wanted to share to see peoples thoughts. The first list, led my a warboss with some troggoth allies, is the list im currently using. But I just feel that the warboss isnt worth the 120 points and the troggoths, although cool, dont add much more than what all the big squigs already dish out. 

The second list, I have taken out the warboss in favour of an extra shaman and removed the troggoths in favour of an extra unit of fanatics and another unit of grots for another blocking unit to protect my squigs. Does the newer list look better? Or shall I stick with what Im using? 

Also, what 2k lists have you guys been running lately? 

D2ABB0B1-7E90-4C36-8C59-EB353AA42C9F.jpeg

E65EBB07-B780-41CB-AC7C-9F89FEC6FBF9.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys 

I'm thinking about building 1000 points of moonclan (pretty much all squigs). The list I had in mind was:

fungoid Cave shaman 

Grot war boss on squig 

2x10 Cave squigs 

4x2 herders 

2 mangler squigs. 

Any idea if it would be remotely competitive? I was thinking squig hoppers instead of Cave squigs and herders? And lastly I cant seem to get any squig units as battle line in the app even with moonclan grots allegiance. Is it bugged or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the help :)

For a general I like the boss on foot with a giant cave squig.  His command ability to double wounds seems like it would be very useful for squigs and better than the mounted warboss.

The ranged attacks from the prodder are nice also - as is the extra defense ability.

• 4 weeks later...

This week I was planning to buy a squig mangler and slowly build my small Moonclan army up (in hopes of maybe a battletome in the near future) but I guess I waited too long that they ran out of stock on the GW website. :(

How often do the restock those older models on the website?

19 minutes ago, novakai said:

This week I was planning to buy a squig mangler and slowly build my small Moonclan army up (in hopes of maybe a battletome in the near future) but I guess I waited too long that they ran out of stock on the GW website. :(

How often do the restock those older models on the website?

Pretty regularly in my experience, I would click on the "Notify me via email" button.

Ebay is also an option.  I regularly run searches for `squig` on ebay to grab up more of the little buggers when a good lot deal pops up (you can never have too many squigs).  I also like the models that a number of 3rd party sellers have created.  Mangler Squigs always have at least a few offerings for sale.

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

5A810511-740F-4CF3-B1F2-7D705A378859.jpeg.2808b983135a1c7867f2797f9a026617.jpegRegarding something new I might be putting 2+2 and getting 5 but I read this as there’s something coming for the moon clan fingers crossed ? 

I think it almost guarantee that Death is getting something soon in terms of releases but I hope the White Dwarf guy was specifically hinting Moonclan with the wink, winks when he was answering the question

2 minutes ago, Zambo said:

We can only hope!! night goblins/ moon clan are just about as iconic as Sigmar’s hammer so they are in with a fighting chance of surviving the cut.

I think the Fungoid Shaman as the Herald in Malign Portents is as close as we can get to confirmation that GW is going to do something with Moonclan rather than just ignore them or an eventual discontinuation.

But it also makes sense.  I have played Orcs & Goblins since the early 90s and while Night Goblins have always been a small subsection of that army - they have always had a very big following.  In most editions of Fantasy that I played a pure Night Goblin army was pretty poor and had tons of uphill fights (although they were surprisingly good in 8th), but they were still probably the most popular singular sub-faction within the full Orc & Goblin army.  They also sucked up most of the dev attention that Goblins got.  Outside of a few models here or there (Arachnarok) most goblin models released have been for Night Goblins.  Night Goblins are also one of the most iconic warhammer fantasy factions and also I would argue one of the most creative and unique.  While Goblins are still pretty generic Fantasy - the Night Goblins are a pretty unique take with the addition of Squigs and a crazy fungus obsession.

I think GW definitely has plans for Moonclan.  Age of Sigmar is also probably the best game framework GW has had to date that could make a full playable (and effective maybe?) grot army.  I just hope that when they rework it that they do not change too much of what Night Goblins were.  They are by far my favorite thing that GW has created.  I do not mind an evolution (hopefully further towards the Squig and fungus lunatics direction), but I don't want it to lose too much of the character it has collected over the years. 

But sadly, I am pretty sure that despite the number of characters that have survived the death of the old world - Skarsnik and Gobbla were not one of them.  I will miss them.  I just hope whatever character rises to take their space will be half as fun and interesting as they were.

Skabnoze I agree with all of the above night goblins and all their madness are entirely GW’s creation and shows their creativity at its best, to manage to make a faction that are evil, insane, and hilarious is genius. The potential of the squig and a squig based army is massive if I happened I’d put my mortgage on it being a massive success! 

Also id just managed to collect and paint a 30 strong unit of the critters which were bloody awesome in 8th as a second hammer (40 savage orcs being the other) so it would be nice to dust them off again 

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

Skabnoze I agree with all of the above night goblins and all their madness are entirely GW’s creation and shows their creativity at its best, to manage to make a faction that are evil, insane, and hilarious is genius. The potential of the squig and a squig based army is massive if I happened I’d put my mortgage on it being a massive success! 

Also id just managed to collect and paint a 30 strong unit of the critters which were bloody awesome in 8th as a second hammer (40 savage orcs being the other) so it would be nice to dust them off again 

A block of Cave Squigs with Sneaky-Stabbing cast onto them were horrifically nasty in 8th if they pulled off a flank charge.  I had a number of success stories in 8th edition from that tactic.  They ate a massive unit of Bestigors in one game.  In another game I had them devour a unit of roughly 80+ zombies. 

Ahhhh happy nostalgic memories ?

i double charged 40 white lions and reduced them to 1 lonely elf he was stubborn coz he was in a wood n held which enabled a flank charge on my savages which won him the game talk about a knife edge bloody awesome game 

I wonder if they release a new Grot character to be something like the Fist of Mork (or something of Mork) as the opposite of Gordrakk.

Kind of how Skarsnik and Grimgor where in the Endtimes. 

that was the one thing I really like about O&G in fantasy compare to 40K Orks was that Goblins could also rise up and achieve great things like Skarsnik and Grom the Paunch.

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I wonder if they release a new Grot character to be something like the Fist of Mork (or something of Mork) as the opposite of Gordrakk.

Kind of how Skarsnik and Grimgor where in the Endtimes. 

that was the one thing I really like about O&G in fantasy compare to 40K Orks was that Goblins could also rise up and achieve great things like Skarsnik and Grom the Paunch.

Yeah definitely. Goblins are currently NPCs in the lore, not an interesting force. They need an interesting leader that unites the tribes and wrecks sh**. None of this micro faction bu11sh1t. Goblins stick together. 

On 4/24/2018 at 4:20 AM, Sheriff said:

Yeah definitely. Goblins are currently NPCs in the lore, not an interesting force.

Honestly, thats basically THE ENTIRETY of Destruction ATM. Only 3 warscrolls and only one of them has an actual playable Named Character who basically is like all the other warbosses, just meaner and bigger, and also one shade spire warband. So far it seems a little hard for gw to make destruction factions anything beyond "AXE TO FACE SMASH". I mean sure Khorne has the same issue, but at least they got like several named characters with some personality/backstories.

On the subject of a Moonclan Battletome I think it definitely a "Not If but when" territory especially since GW release the Fungloid Shaman recently, I just hope it sooner (within the year) rather then 5 more stormcast releases later.

On another note Do you guys think GW is going to update/ redo some of the models like they did with the GUO, I am ok with the Moonclan Grots and the Mangler Squig but everything else like Cave Squig, Squig hoppers, and Squigs herds just feels very outdated to me especially when I look at 40k Bomb squigs. I am not really an old model nostalgic so I really can't justified me buy and painting them. That why I am currently just slowly building up my moonclan force  up just waiting if maybe there will be news of release. I do plan on buying a mangler squig and maybe the Forgeworld Warboss on squig in the future.

though at worst, GW could just repackage the old stuff in new boxes with round bases like they did with zombies making them more convenient to buy.

31 minutes ago, novakai said:

though at worst, GW could just repackage the old stuff in new boxes with round bases like they did with zombies making them more convenient to buy.

My number 1 pet hate is that I bought 60 Grots and had to then buy 60 round bases for them......FUUUUUU!!!

Yeah its frustrating. I've just done 60 extra bases too. I'm just building a grot army that is plastic only other than artillery and a mangler. I'm sure there are new squigs incoming, there has to be. One of the rumour pics looked like a squigs head imho. 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Imo the recent one, the frayed rope, is either grot skypirates or a new fanatic model. 

I'd be surprised if they updated the current plastic models, as they seem fine to me (like the witch elfs didn't get updated). But yeah a new grot machinery model with rope - YES

I don't think that frayed knot is a fanatic - unless there is a new kind of Fanatic.  While the current Fanatic models are one of the first plastic kits made digitally, and the inexperience with the medium at the time really shows with those models, it is still a decent enough kit that they probably don't need to rework it for a Moonclan full battletome release.  I expect that what they will want/need to change is the resin parts of the range.  That pretty much means all of the Squig and hero units.

I still think that knot comes from either a new Mangler model or some sort of new squig & handlers unit.

Archived