Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

Hey everyone, I'm about 5 or so months in to Warhammer now. I've been playing Sylvaneth the whole time and love them. Our group is going to do a slow grow after January, we have a tournament here in Australia (we don't have many) and people want to mix it up after prepping so hard for their army. I don't mind, as I used to have a few goblin models as a kid and have massive nostalgia.

On the podcasts (not as much scene here) it seems like Moonclan are pretty big, most popular allegiance at Warlords and everyone seems to know someone who plays them. Here it's not quite as nice, I haven't seen a single goblin army at all. I was lucky enough to have the Sylvaneth thread on here as otherwise I'd have no idea what is possible with Sylvaneth given that I've not seen any one else play them (not that I pull of the tactics to any high degree...). 

Although I'm not the best person to start it, and I can only contribute small things I was curious if any discussion could develop to even close to the same level as the Sylvaneth thread. I guess at the moment grotz are limited by few formations which limits things, and it seems people are holding off for new battletomes atm which is probably wise. I'm not sure what else i'd rather slow grow though, and I guess I can hope for a Moonclan release in particular soon (with hopefully some formations to chuck in some Gitmob warmachines).

Would anyone be keen to have a bit of an ongoing discussion? I'm curious what lists people take, I'm not sure if it will be more or less diverse without the formations offered in some of the other armies. Seems like you could mix in various Gitmob grotz for a mixed grot armies, or bring in various other destruction choices while there is no allegiance abilities. I've seen Gorrdrak moonclan mixes, and I'm sure a thundertusk, Gitmob grotz with bows (+ a shaman), or various other combos could work really well with Moonclans impressive stalling and melee combos they can pull off. I'd love to see what you play, how you play, things you think might be good, and etc! Which gitmob warmachines are the best, are warmachines still worth it given the weakness of the crew these days? I have a lot of questions!

Cheers,
Samuel

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moonclans are what is closer to a glass canon, no wait a glass nuclear missile. Here is a couple of lists that are have been seen.

What you can observe is that most of the units, but particulary squigs and fanatics in general deals an absurd amount of dammage for the price you paid them.  To compensate they have almost no save and random movement. The mangler for example is absolutly brutal but only has 10 wounds and a 5+.

The lists i posted did nice but didn't won the tournaments.

moonc.PNG

moon2.JPG

Although I'm not the best person to start it, and I can only contribute small things I was curious if any discussion could develop to even close to the same level as the Sylvaneth thread. I guess at the moment grotz are limited by few formations which limits things, and it seems people are holding off for new battletomes atm which is probably wise. I'm not sure what else i'd rather slow grow though, and I guess I can hope for a Moonclan release in particular soon (with hopefully some formations to chuck in some Gitmob warmachines).

One formation only. Which relies on the backwards compatibility answer in the FAQ (Ironjawz/Free People). It is a strong formation though. Really strong combo for the big blocks. Of course, there's also the Hooded Villain which has to be seen to be believed.

The Grots are really undercosted. They are a 4+ save and bravery 6 against shooting - basically the same as Liberators.

The archers hit like pillows though.

The Grot Shaman is one of the few remaining wizards which can take advantage of the new Balewind Vortex. He is also cheap at only 60 points.

2 hours ago, kozokus said:

Moonclans are what is closer to a glass canon, no wait a glass nuclear missile. Here is a couple of lists that are have been seen.

What you can observe is that most of the units, but particulary squigs and fanatics in general deals an absurd amount of dammage for the price you paid them.  To compensate they have almost no save and random movement. The mangler for example is absolutly brutal but only has 10 wounds and a 5+.

The lists i posted did nice but didn't won the tournaments.

Thanks Kozokus! Are they not able to win tournaments just because there are lists they just can't beat? Some of the combos you can do seem like it can be kind of one trick, but then the buffs do apply well to just general units also. 

And thanks Nico, I was hoping you would show up as you seem to have interests in all possible lists if they push the right buttons haha.

I was typing out the combo for the warboss as you commented and of course most people know it. But for people like me, I'll still leave it below. I think it's a pretty awesome combo, but almost everything but battle brew could be used to buff something else instead.

Warboss with Moon Prodder:

• Down in One! One a 6 or more to wound the squig does D6 damage instead of D3 damage.
  • Command ability:  Any roll of 6 to more does double damage.
  • Great Moonclan formation: 6 or more to hit generates an extra attack (+ rerolling hit rolls on Warboss).
  • Battle Brew item: +1 to hit / wound, or +2 to hit or wound followed my mortal wounds taken each round.
  • Bellowing tyrant command trait: +1 to hit for any unit within D6".

So with that combo, you can have the 80 point warboss firing D6 14" attacks, hitting on 2's wounding on 2's, generating extra attacks on 4's to hit and doing -1 rend 1 damage, or 2 damage on a 5+ to wound. In combat, it has 4 attacks with the prodder with the same hitting on 2's wounding on 2's but the squig is doing 4 attacks, hitting on 2's wounding on 3's, generating extra attacks on 4's to hit and doing Double D6 damage on a 5 or more to wound. If you take two swigs of battle brew, in both you are you're generating extra attacks on 3's and wounding on 2's but doing double D6 on just a 4+ (over 4 attacks...).

Alternatively you can take the 'Might is Right' command ability for +1 to wound if you'd rather go for double damage rather than an extra attack. Of course then the little guy gets shot off but that is such a moonclan thing to do, get high and just run in like the most glorious fanatic of all time.

The other combo for Gitmob is obviously their grotz + shaman. Normal gitmob suffer a lot from not having any general leaders (I'm sure some compendium stuff could come in handy, I'll have to have a dig).

Gitmob Grots with bows/spears + Shaman:

• Shaman spell: Sneaky Stabbin (7 to cast, so can't count on it): Choose one GITMOB unit within 16", until your next hero phase add 1 to wound rolls and increase the rend characteristic by 1.
  • Grots: 100 points for 20, 16" range on bows, 2" range on spears.
    Unruly Rabble: Add 1 to hit rolls for 20 or more models, add 2 to hit rolls with 30 or more models. 

So for bows, you get a decent 20 shots / 100 points, hitting on 3's wounding on 4's with the spell. For spears, you get a very respectable 20 attacks / 100 points hitting on 3's wounding on 3's. In both cases -1 rend. It's a shame the spell isn't just a command ability that you could count on though.

Any other good combos Nico? Also with fanatics I've seen the two camps, most people seem to take a few in 2's or 3's, but I've also seen people taking MSU spam with them, essentially having 6-8 x 1 fanatics that they can just continuously interrupt charges and etc with.

Hey @MidasKiss,

Nice idea to get something like this going. I would consider myself Grot-curious(!!) so am interested to see how this develops. The main stumbling block for me is the lack of a Battletome and the cloudiness around the legality of the battalion in Matched Play. If they were to come out with a new book and given the Sylvaneth treatment then I'd be all over them I expect. Mentioning Sylvaneth, I do think the fact their Battletome was completely new and has great depth is key to the enormous thread you've got going over in Order, so don't be disheartened if we don't quite reach those levels here.

It's a shame that some of the more prevalent Moonclan players in the UK don't post here more often, but maybe we can draw in the likes of @Bananaman, @Paddy O'Sullivan and more recently @Total Fanboy. @Dangermouse425 has played with them a fair bit and won Best Destruction at Facehammer GT, so hopefully he can add something. Don't think Mark or Nathan post here at all do they? Apologies if I've missed anyone.

Chris

3 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey @MidasKiss,

Nice idea to get something like this going. I would consider myself Grot-curious(!!) so am interested to see how this develops. The main stumbling block for me is the lack of a Battletome and the fact the cloudiness around the legality of the battalion in Matched Play. If they were to come out with a new book and given the Sylvaneth treatment then I'd be all over them I expect. Mentioning Sylvaneth, I do think the fact their Battletome was completely new and has great depth is key to the enormous thread you've got going over in Order, so don't be disheartened if we don't quite reach those levels here.

It's a shame that some of the more prevalent Moonclan players in the UK don't post here more often, but maybe we can draw in the likes of @Bananaman, @Paddy O'Sullivan and more recently @Total Fanboy. @Dangermouse425 has played with them a fair bit and won Best Destruction at Facehammer GT, so hopefully he can add something. Don't think Mark or Nathan post here at all do they? Apologies if I've missed anyone.

Chris

Chris! I was hoping you would chime in also, after listening to your podcast (I'm VerdantBlast on twitter) I remember you moving to the dark side. I'm really hoping (and almost expecting) them to touch on Moonclan soon (at least, soon in GW terms). They are so charismatic and to me just absolutely GW, similar to Skaven where it's nothing like Tolkien or typical fantasy. Whoever thought up cloaks and squigs get my vote (maybe we shouldn't talk too much about voting today though...:|)

One thing that might help the discussion is all the combos with mixed destruction, which I feel is done more in general outside of Order - the good guys just seem to purify their lists a little more ;) - and at the moment is also a given seeming we get no allegiance bonuses for sticking to Moonclan and you'd be a lunatic to stick with straight gitmob grots with their lack of hero support. Hopefully those guys chime in, I've heard about Paddy through the podcasts and honestly the UK scene is just a lot more developed than Australia so I'm just always happy to live through you guys. I'm sure you can coerce some people into participating...

As a fairly experienced player who is also grot-curious, what kind of lists have you had floating around in your head? Already having the Gordrakk it would be interesting to see that paired up with an aggressive list while you're still building up an army.

I totally love everything about moonclan.. Except of painting the huge amount of the little guys. Right now I took a break after painting ~ 60 of them. My current favourite combo is:
40 NGs one-handed+shields, in 4 rows of 10 (second row of nets - I have never clarified how much of 40 is "a few"), gong + bad moon icon... And of course 6 fanatics. Sometimes I use them as ranged weapon to launch the fanatics in the first round:
Hero phase d6"+2"(ravager), movement: 5"+d6"+2"(running with gong);
1" release the fanatics - and I should be in range to charge with 6 of them (if I roll 1-3" in hero phase I usually wait with my sneaky scheme;));
When the fanatics die first round I have to take the charge with -1to hit(nets). NGs are always supported by Inspiring presence and mystic shield so have 3+ save on ranged and 4+ on cc. When strike back should be still more than 20 (or even 30) so I have 10x 4+ 2+ attacks and 30x 4+ 3+ attacks... If they drop down to 20 or below Skarsnik that is shooting from the prodder from behind (12" d6) uses his ability sneaky schemes... So while they retreat (hero phase of course) thay can make some mortal wounds to say goodbye(on 4+ d3 MW), and than can retreat further to secure some objective in the backline and are exchanged by another unit.
NG's Shamans are Da Best with their mushrooms. For 60 pts you can have a 3+ to magic (mushrooms on 2+ and Vortex) and cast Curse of Da Bad Moon like Arcane Bolt.
I can't wait for the Battletome for them;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MidasKiss said:

One thing that might help the discussion is all the combos with mixed destruction, which I feel is done more in general outside of Order - the good guys just seem to purify their lists a little more ;) - and at the moment is also a given seeming we get no allegiance bonuses for sticking to Moonclan and you'd be a lunatic to stick with straight gitmob grots with their lack of hero support. 

One list @Nico posted in another thread here, that seems bonkers strong is this...

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Units
Moonclan Grots x 20 (120)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Total: 1990/2000

You wont be getting to dictate the first turn against many armies with this,  but it seems very versatile. Blocking charges with fanatics and having three Thundertusks that can heal per turn.  

I play Ironjawz and I am looking to branch out into the other Destruction armies. Bonesplitterz didn't appeal to be aesthetically with them having no real centre piece and the lore of them wanting to kill all the big monsters didn't sit well with me to pair them up with my mawcrusher or stonehorn, so I was left with the choice of Ogors and Grots for battleline. 

These fanatics just seem like a lot of fun though...

In my eyes, the Fanatics are all about the defensive blocking role rather than the offensive melee role. The value of a 30 point Fanatic blocking Archaon for a turn or a Dread Saurian for a turn is bonkers! You can also do it repeatedly. There are ways to get around it, if a unit of large base models spreads out 3 inches away from a Grot unit, then the edge models will be able to pile in towards the Grot unit (either because they are closer to the Grots than to the Fanatic or because they are not pinned base to base by the Fanatic and can get closer to the Fanatic by going diagonally into the Grots). However, this doesn't work for single models as long as the Fanatic touches base (if you don't touch base, they can pile in and run around you and then touch base).

The offensive fanatics are constraining since they have to be activated first or they all die (6+ save).

I'm going up against the list above tonight (with Fyreslayers - praying to Grungi).

I was looking for model to complete my spider rider when i want to play out of the Spiderfang venom mob . I tought that the Gitmob goblin  whit bow, there bonus to hit , the bonus to wound from de shaman ans there warmachine was a giid option but i dont see any love for them. Im a new player , do you guy think is a good option to play whit my spider rider

1 hour ago, N_Watson said:

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Units
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)
Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Total: 1990/2000

Hey that's my list out there! :D 

I personally love Moonclan grots. They are the perfect battleline unit and with a D6"+2 (ravager) + 5" + D6+2" (gong) move they get to objectives pretty quickly. Netters for -1 to hit during combat phase are such a game changer.

Fanatics are great, but for me in a mixed destruction list their power relies in blocking opponent's units charges, so your grots can runaway and avoid getting destroyed in one turn.

Grot shaman seems like one of the best wizards, especially considering his cost (60 points!). I haven't tried him on a balewind yet, but it looks pretty horrible.

I've always love Night Goblins, I've had a few armies and lots of them I've just painted for the love of it. They totally appealed to my Hobby side, but man did my gamer side not like playing them. I was so happy to see them be playable in AoS, in fact I used them in my first intro game vs my daughter (who won!). 

I've got a whole box of stuff to expand on, and will have to revisit my thoughts as I've been solidly in Ironjawz/Skaven land.

I freaking love grots. I've had great success with Gitmob artillery. Cave Squigs are a lot of fun and surprisingly diverse. Moonclan are great at objective capturing and generally clogging things up - I had a unit of 40 hold up a mournghul for two or three turns. Gitmob, with its artillery and +2s to hit with bows, seems like it could be up there with the best of them, in terms of being a shooty army. Skulkers can be great character assassins, especially if you have the Great Gitmob, where they'll be dealing mortal wounds on a 5+ hit roll.

I personally don't like units of 20 - they seem like a waste of potential. As well, bow wielding Moonclan are next to useless. 

Goblins are sneakily good, if the army list is correctly put together. 

I freaking love grots. I've had great success with Gitmob artillery. Cave Squigs are a lot of fun and surprisingly diverse. Moonclan are great at objective capturing and generally clogging things up - I had a unit of 40 hold up a mournghul for two or three turns. Gitmob, with its artillery and +2s to hit with bows, seems like it could be up there with the best of them, in terms of being a shooty army. Skulkers can be great character assassins, especially if you have the Great Gitmob, where they'll be dealing mortal wounds on a 5+ hit roll.
I personally don't like units of 20 - they seem like a waste of potential. As well, bow wielding Moonclan are next to useless. 
Goblins are sneakily good, if the army list is correctly put together. 

Thanks for the discussion everyone! I have been thinking the same thing about the normal gitmob with Archers + Warmachines and then rounded out with general moonclan stuff. Though spiderfang grots would also be really strong given their speed, to be supported by so much range threat. Are spear chuckers the best Warmachines? I haven't done the maths once you factor in the different bonuses they all get when fielded in multiples.

I had a similar idea as that above with thundertusks and fanatic stalling could be very strong. Though thundertusks do go down to shooting themselves (Kurnoth Hunters do well in my Sylvaneth games)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I also think that while gitmbob grots with bows are obviously cheaper and better, the value of moonclan bows in a moonclan only faction is hard to figure out for me because of the nettets they can field in combat still. So probably more of a big block can shoot into that unit for combat to actually do something, but not in the combat phase obviously. The netters actually give you flanks in a way as well which is a bit nasty, though fanatics can always give you time to adjust a little.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, MidasKiss said:

Are spear chuckers the best Warmachines? I haven't done the maths once you factor in the different bonuses they all get when fielded in multiples.

If you want to go all out with artillery, take spear throwers or divers. If you just want one, you get the most bang for your buck with the rock lobber - its pairing bonus is unreliable. I do run lists with 2x throwers and 2x divers. It's incredible support, especially the throwers if you're having problems with heroes/heroes on monsters. But you do run in to trouble with the throwers when there's a lot of scenery, so if you can make good use of rampaging destroyers/don't forget to move them if you need to (there's no penalty for doing so). With the divers, you've got to attack low-save units, because their one attack with only -1 rend makes it hard to go through. However, you can't say no to D6 wounds, and keep in mind to go for a unit that has a consolation prize 10" away.

So, between the three of them there is no best. They're all situational. But generally, you'll do the most consistent damage with spear throwers, but have the most potential damage with doom divers - both are great, depending on what your target is.

Why do people take the spears rather than one handed weapons in Moonclan? Is it the range? What about the 1" vs 25mm base discussion? And do you really get so many attacks from the extra range vs 5+ to hit?
I am curious because I prefer one-handed + nets combo (there is no limit on nets apart of discussion how much is "a few")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been building a list with Git-Mob, so I am excited to test it out. My worry is the # of drops I'd be taking, probably wouldn't get to dictate who goes first often since a lot of lists are fewer than 4 drops. Also, as with any horde army battle shock and saves. This list is deceptively fast and if the wolf riders get the sneaky stabbing buff you're looking at a powerful unit for 200pts plus reroll charges near the chariot. Stone horn would be the disrupter, the thunder tusk would be throwing snowballs to help my war boss pick off a mortally wounded hero/monster for the immune battle shock. Then the gitmob as a second wave or third wave to keep objectives through volume. Also, nasty skulkers are a sheer defensive strategy to reduce the # of models able to pile into the gitmob units, to help mitigate the casualties.

Comment and critique welcome, 

Great gitmob 100pts

leaders:

gitmob shaman-80pts

gitmob war boss w/ boar-80pts

huskard on thunder tusk - 340pts

frostlord on stonehorn - 460pts

units

60 -  grots 300pts spears

40 - grots 200pts spears 

20 - grots 100pts bows

9 - nasty skulkers 120pts

10 - grot riders 200pts

1 - grot wolf chariot 40pts

2000pts total 

Thanks for the shout out @Chris Tomlin. I am not a big forum writer I'm afraid. 

For my part I think that Moonclan Grots are pretty much the best value infantry in the game at 300 points for 40 grots and 2 fanatics. They look great and I love their background. This one is my third Night Goblin / Moonclan force.

In the game they are super defensive with the 4+ save vs shooting (from the bad moon banner) and the obvious nets in combat. And they are effective attacking when wounding on 2+ with lots of attacks.

Fanatics are one of the best support pieces in the game too. The ability to control the charge phase is priceless. I used lots of singles at Clash in games against death-star style units and launched multiple singles to pin all models in place (and avoiding the pile in round the sides). It was an expensive but very effective at keeping control especially when it was my turn next. I will say I did make a mistake early on and didn't realise they could die from rolling a double on the charge and also that they must be set up outside of 3" of an enemy if you want them to charge. 

I use the spear guys because I have literally hundreds and don't want them to go to waste. If I was doing it from scratch I think the higher chance to hit from the stabba guys is better, but I try to make the most of my spears by always having three ranks and lots of grots.     

The army provides the right mix of ranged threat and board control, with lots of reasonably hard to kill wounds screening my shooting. I used 2 spear chukkas and 3 grot shaman as my firebase and they were ace (even though I thought the chukkas only had one shot for the whole event).

I am not convinced just yet about the Mangler Squigs. When they work they are spectacular, but they die easily enough and each one is 40 more grots. The hooded villain was the most fun to use but I am sure as people move away from using the compendiums that will not be an option in future. 

All in all I think Moonclan can form the core of the most competitive armies in AoS. I would love to play my final game at Clash again with Russ. It was only my 5th game with them at that points level and with the lessons learned I think the army has what it takes to win that match up.

Martin

On 10/11/2016 at 1:03 AM, Splax said:

I was looking for model to complete my spider rider when i want to play out of the Spiderfang venom mob . I tought that the Gitmob goblin  whit bow, there bonus to hit , the bonus to wound from de shaman ans there warmachine was a giid option but i dont see any love for them. Im a new player , do you guy think is a good option to play whit my spider rider

I was thinking a similar thing, have the Grots with bows, a grot shaman and some artillery with a fast hitting front wave of spiders. Would be very cool!

On 10/11/2016 at 8:23 AM, Furious said:

If you want to go all out with artillery, take spear throwers or divers. If you just want one, you get the most bang for your buck with the rock lobber - its pairing bonus is unreliable. I do run lists with 2x throwers and 2x divers. It's incredible support, especially the throwers if you're having problems with heroes/heroes on monsters. But you do run in to trouble with the throwers when there's a lot of scenery, so if you can make good use of rampaging destroyers/don't forget to move them if you need to (there's no penalty for doing so). With the divers, you've got to attack low-save units, because their one attack with only -1 rend makes it hard to go through. However, you can't say no to D6 wounds, and keep in mind to go for a unit that has a consolation prize 10" away.

So, between the three of them there is no best. They're all situational. But generally, you'll do the most consistent damage with spear throwers, but have the most potential damage with doom divers - both are great, depending on what your target is.

Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing if you went three you'd take 3 of the same, or two and a rock lobber then? The rampaging destroyers is a good trick, one of the advantages that might not have been so intended.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:16 AM, Total Fanboy said:

Thanks for the shout out @Chris Tomlin. I am not a big forum writer I'm afraid. 

For my part I think that Moonclan Grots are pretty much the best value infantry in the game at 300 points for 40 grots and 2 fanatics. They look great and I love their background. This one is my third Night Goblin / Moonclan force.

In the game they are super defensive with the 4+ save vs shooting (from the bad moon banner) and the obvious nets in combat. And they are effective attacking when wounding on 2+ with lots of attacks.

Fanatics are one of the best support pieces in the game too. The ability to control the charge phase is priceless. I used lots of singles at Clash in games against death-star style units and launched multiple singles to pin all models in place (and avoiding the pile in round the sides). It was an expensive but very effective at keeping control especially when it was my turn next. I will say I did make a mistake early on and didn't realise they could die from rolling a double on the charge and also that they must be set up outside of 3" of an enemy if you want them to charge. 

I use the spear guys because I have literally hundreds and don't want them to go to waste. If I was doing it from scratch I think the higher chance to hit from the stabba guys is better, but I try to make the most of my spears by always having three ranks and lots of grots.     

The army provides the right mix of ranged threat and board control, with lots of reasonably hard to kill wounds screening my shooting. I used 2 spear chukkas and 3 grot shaman as my firebase and they were ace (even though I thought the chukkas only had one shot for the whole event).

I am not convinced just yet about the Mangler Squigs. When they work they are spectacular, but they die easily enough and each one is 40 more grots. The hooded villain was the most fun to use but I am sure as people move away from using the compendiums that will not be an option in future. 

All in all I think Moonclan can form the core of the most competitive armies in AoS. I would love to play my final game at Clash again with Russ. It was only my 5th game with them at that points level and with the lessons learned I think the army has what it takes to win that match up.

Martin

Thanks so much for chiming in Martin! I wonder if someone can do the maths on the 3 rows of spears vs 2 of stabbers, I had been thinking that spears would be better just to get more dice in... The two inch range on dryads always catches people off guard. I guess you could run some netters in the 3rd row to maximise number of attacks, as long as you have some nets spotted around in the first row to hit that second row of theirs. It's an interesting mechanic and it makes you think about placement and getting flanked a little more than I normally have to. 

I'm unsure about the mangler squigs as it is because they are resin, and I'm a newer player who hasn't had to work with much apart from plastic. The one resin thing I had in the past was bubbled in a way that kind of ruined it. I'm glad I'm doing a slow grow, because painting so many grots all at once would probably kill me.

Would you be kind enough to share your list Martin? What are the hardest match ups you've faced, and care to share any tricks to deal with them? ^_^

Archived