Unit Size and Points

judging_jester

Question

Hi gang,

This will be a total n00b question but the clarification would be helpful.

I've been painting minitures for around five years now but never played - I have a young family, the closest gaming group/GW store is not that local and I have no friends that are interested. I am trying to rectify the 'friends not interested' element through a combination of bullying and ambush tactics. Anyway I digress...

Today I picked up the General's Handbook, the Grand Alliance: Order Battletome and the Sylvaneth Battletome. My question is, in the General's Handbook it says, if I understand it, that a unit of Dryads can have a minimum of 10 models and a max of 30 for 120 points. If this is the case why wouldn't you just take the 30 models? What would be the benefit of taking less models in a unit?

Have I missed something? I gather I have and it's probably one of those things that's really obvious.

Thanks all

4 answers to this question

You pay the points listed for each addition of the minimum number listed in the generals handbook. So if you're paying 120 points for 10, then you're paying 360 points for 30 models. The max tells you how big the unit can be when you deploy it, not the maximum for that amount of points. That way we avoid the 200+ units of zombies and clanrats of previous editions :)

It's on page 106 of TGH, under "Picking Your Army". The points costs given are for minimum-sized units, you can increase the unit by multiples of the minimum size, by paying the corresponding multiples of the cost.

So Dryads can be fielded in units of 10, 20, or 30 for 120pts, 240pts, or 360pts.

Many players and tournaments will additionally let you divide the cost by the minimum size, so that you could (for example) field 15 dryads for 180pts — but that's a house-rule only, and not a part of the actual AoS rules.

The actual AoS rule is that if you don't have enough models to field the unit at full strength, you can field it under-strength, but you still pay the full points, so it becomes "up to 10" dryads for 120pts, "11 to 20" for 240, or "21 to 30" for 360. There's no advantage to doing that, if you have enough models to avoid it.

10 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

It's on page 106 of TGH, under "Picking Your Army". The points costs given are for minimum-sized units, you can increase the unit by multiples of the minimum size, by paying the corresponding multiples of the cost.

So Dryads can be fielded in units of 10, 20, or 30 for 120pts, 240pts, or 360pts.

Many players and tournaments will additionally let you divide the cost by the minimum size, so that you could (for example) field 15 dryads for 180pts — but that's a house-rule only, and not a part of the actual AoS rules.

The actual AoS rule is that if you don't have enough models to field the unit at full strength, you can field it under-strength, but you still pay the full points, so it becomes "up to 10" dryads for 120pts, "11 to 20" for 240, or "21 to 30" for 360. There's no advantage to doing that, if you have enough models to avoid it.

I vaguely remember some chaos(?) units having bonuses for being deploying in multiples of 9 or something, but in general you're right.

Archived