The restless barrows

Ademo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ademo Planning a skeletal / Deathrattle core - I have most of what I need built up to allow me to play 1k games (with some variation) which is what I commonly play. I've built but not yet started to paint Arkhan/Mannfred (magnetised), a Wight King, a Necromancer, a Cairn Wraith, 20/40 Skeleton Warriors, 10 Grave Guard, & 2 Morghast Archai. Really stunning bases also by the way!

Managed to complete 5 more graveguard tonight, really fun minis to paint and they have given me a good chance to experiment with various effects. I may age the banner a bit further but definitely in 2 minds as I'm pretty pleased with the design and would hate to muck it up.
468950ee7a4f9d9e9f753dbf8e31c76b.jpg
I also have 4 at the stage where the cloth and bones and complete and now need going over to bring up the metalics and wight blades.
f271813104454769f2e8072deba83ebc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Finished the Graveguard, hurrah!51dec48c203a084076df93f18d507d9e.jpg245552dd8ca1b12a1c4dac530bb03bb8.jpg
Back to regular skellies next! I've started working on a few army list ideas. Definitely looking to build around the legion of death battalion but unsure of how to distribute skeletons - big block of 40 with spears will feature for sure but whether to have 2 units of 20 swords also or 2 bigger units and a min sized... choices choices!

Thanks@Soulsmith I took inspiration from the celtic knot:
6c02c0ba71dad03b907738eef4d94300.jpg
I then tried to make a representation of a creature - in this instance a stag, being an animal often associated with royalty and these guys being something like the king's guard. I think this is an idea I will carry forward to other units with each having a different abstract creature.

• 1 month later...

I've come back to my death army after a busy few months! It's nice to come back with a bit of energy and renewed enthusiasm. I've been putting some paint on to 10 skeletons from the spear unit - v v wip! And also been working on some characters.

With the wight king, I decided that infernal banner was the way forward. I'm sure this conversion has been done 100s of times but I couldn't find a banner I felt fitted the model. To me, there is a real flow forward to the mini that I wanted to maintain and putting a static banner on would break the illusion. So I chucked on a vampire's frock!!! Fortunatelu I had some bits from the coven throne that I'd used in my hinterlands project and with some converting I think it works!

The necromancer was simply a head swap - I wanted a bald head that I could add tattoos too - a more druidic character - perhaps the denizens of the restless barrows are his ancestors! I also decided not to add the collar as it was too batlike for the aesthetic I'm after.
c1020b994217a6306a1e5625b70aed07.jpgfecd1c1d6327062734cfb5745ea2b30c.jpg1310886d4fa67ffa8813ab5dc8124c7c.jpgd341df19aa3d48209c4983fb696883b0.jpg

On 27/10/2016 at 7:17 AM, Ademo said:

Hi all! For quite some time I've been resisting the urge to start a death army whilst I concentrated on my ogors and grots. But finally...I succumbed.

I've always loved the theme of the barrows and in 6th ed there was a really cool list in a white dwarf that centred around the lichemaster

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://sgabetto.free.fr/Telechargements/CairnsVOComplete.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwig0-uEu_TPAhVKFMAKHUeLCVgQFgg9MAc&usg=AFQjCNFLcwzRCvBay7JnV2x9qWAVnkMKiw&sig2=BTNkgSkuGcL2IdWJNgHMcA

So I decided to take inspiration and uodate the concept for aos! I plan on having lots of spirits,skeletons, wights and also perhaps morghasts painted as animated statues and potentially even some converted chariots down the line!

So far I have tested a basing scheme which I wanted to reflect the overgrown barrows.

348ed92c63e08c718c0fe729abd1394d.jpg

I have also started work on some spirit hosts - note they are only on 40mm rounds for painting purposes - you can see the actual bases to the left - but trying something I haven't done too much before and painting seperately!

b8aaa5cb3036854da98f0202e07d0d41.jpg

Looking forward to getting some paint on these - let me know if you have any conversion ideas or general ideas for the theme! Cheers!

Wow! Another great admirer of the bases. Seriously great work.

What was your process for making this? What flock/grasses did you use? Did you do things in a particular order?

Great seeing how this army is progressing. I'm building a deathrattle army right now, so this is a great inspiration!

Love the wight king converstion too. Is there any reason why you put the banner in the right hand rather than the left? I'm considering doing something similar but I was going to put the banner in the right hand where the shield is.

Thanks alot@Hayday look forward to seeing your skellies soon! In terms of the bases, they weren't complicated at all. I do the following:
- sand gravel with cork layers for the rock and stick any bits and bobs on - log bits, shrooms, bits of armour etc.
- prime the whole mini brown including the base.
- drybrush the earth up towards ushabti bone through various browns and paint the rock up through greys.
- paint the other bits n bobs then paint the base rim.
- add the grass with pva. I use 'realistic green' from greenstuffworld.
- add tufts - i use army painter swamp tufts and add in a few randoms every now and then for variety.
- finally add the leaf litter in patches where I imagine they might be blown.

As for the wight king. I thought the banner in his left hand would give too much of a forward lean. The arm is lower and angled down. Also every other standard bearer in the army holds it in their right. But that isn't to say there is a right way, just my thinking!

Archived