The restless barrows

Ademo

Hi all! For quite some time I've been resisting the urge to start a death army whilst I concentrated on my ogors and grots. But finally...I succumbed.

I've always loved the theme of the barrows and in 6th ed there was a really cool list in a white dwarf that centred around the lichemaster

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://sgabetto.free.fr/Telechargements/CairnsVOComplete.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwig0-uEu_TPAhVKFMAKHUeLCVgQFgg9MAc&usg=AFQjCNFLcwzRCvBay7JnV2x9qWAVnkMKiw&sig2=BTNkgSkuGcL2IdWJNgHMcA

So I decided to take inspiration and uodate the concept for aos! I plan on having lots of spirits,skeletons, wights and also perhaps morghasts painted as animated statues and potentially even some converted chariots down the line!

So far I have tested a basing scheme which I wanted to reflect the overgrown barrows.

348ed92c63e08c718c0fe729abd1394d.jpg

I have also started work on some spirit hosts - note they are only on 40mm rounds for painting purposes - you can see the actual bases to the left - but trying something I haven't done too much before and painting seperately!

b8aaa5cb3036854da98f0202e07d0d41.jpg

Looking forward to getting some paint on these - let me know if you have any conversion ideas or general ideas for the theme! Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Hope I don't dissapoint! Here are my first 3 spirit hosts, really enjoyed painting them, they are 90% done, just need to add a few spot washes of waywatcher ala the 'Duncan' method- v v different techniques and set of paints to what im used to but I like the look it gives.923fec0d43d2a0615f4cee9bd1cd7daf.jpg

Great army concept! I've always wanted to see someone run an Old World/Celtic Tomb King army and am really excited to see where someone of your skill takes these guys! If the bases you've done so far are any indicator, they're gonna be mindblowing.

Lots of freehand spiral designs on shields and suchlike?

I agree with the previous posters, love the thought of a barrows army! I've been thinking of making a small barrows force as an ally to my Tomb Kings army, heavily inspired by the Skyrim barrows. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

As for chariots, I assume you will use the TK chariot rules? If you go that way, I would really recommend you to make some sort of Necropolis Knights conversion as well, they are an absolutely excellent fit for any Deathrattle-based army. The mounts could be statues, similar to your Morghasts, or some sort of monster guarding the tomb of the leader of your army.

Thanks! Yeh that's how I picture it too! As there are several elements to it I'll be interested to see how it will translate to the 25mm bases of skeletons etc - or are they 32? Also on the topic of skeletons, considering some shield swapping to make them less gothic horror and more ancient warriors.
bb0af9b2cab990641d3b7e09eda73d94.jpg
Perhaps something like these? Thouggts?

1 hour ago, Ademo said:

Thanks! Yeh that's how I picture it too! As there are several elements to it I'll be interested to see how it will translate to the 25mm bases of skeletons etc - or are they 32? Also on the topic of skeletons, considering some shield swapping to make them less gothic horror and more ancient warriors.
bb0af9b2cab990641d3b7e09eda73d94.jpg
Perhaps something like these? Thouggts?

Could be awesome. Skeleton javelineers as Tomb King archers? ;) 

Haha... might just leave the javelins off... I've been taking a closer look at the skeleton kit and most the shields are way less gothic than I had originally thought so may just use those which work and add swirls and patterns to look a bit more 'ancient briton'.

Update time: completed 3 more spirit hosts giving me the option of 2 smaller units or 1 larger - am I right in thinking it's best to point them at monsters and tough units (mortal wound potential)
20161103_212906.thumb.jpg.ae4355f839033d

They look great!

You're right in your thinking, things with a good save and things that have high rend are prime targets for these guys.

If you use a VLoZD as your general, running them as one unit of 6 will be strictly better than two units of 3 since his command ability boosts the mortal wound output of one unit. With another general, I'm not sure what's best. With one unit of 6, you get to pile in and attack with all of them at the same time in the combat phase, which is an advantage. On the other hand, you gain some freedom in your movement phase with two units of 3. Experiment =)

Archived