Dispossessed Ranged Units: Quarrellers or Thunderers

Cerlin

So I have pulled the trigger and bought 30 dispossesed ranged units. I have the choice to build them as Thunderers or Quarrellers, so the question is which or to what combination should I do? 

My first thought was to go for the full 30 Quarrellers so I can get the double shots bonus with an extra ten wounds to keep the shots coming. This will pair with my Grimm Burloksson who will add 6 inches to their range.  I felt like this would be a solid start for my dwarf army and I can use them with my free guild.

However, I also was thinking about building 10 (or more) thunderers just so I have the flexibility. However, I do already have 20 free guild handgunners who basically do the same job with only a slightly worse stat line (and they are battleline for all order, a bonus.)

So should I build any thunderers? Do they perform better than Quarrellers?

I would say some of each. The range bonus of Quarellers is definitely useful, but without any rend they struggle against well armored enemies. However, Quarrelers will do better in close combat with their axes, while a unit of 20 Thunderers is hitting and wounding on 3s at range. 

It really depends on who you are likely to go against. A tough, slow army is going to be more at risk from Thunderers, while Quarrelers can take out a fast light army before it can reach, as well as hold their own if said army does close the gap.

Would I be crazy that thinking a runelord giving rend would not be a good enough replacement? Since a rending thunderer is twice as good? 

And I do tend to fight elite units recently, and they seem to be more popular because of the newer, stronger armies. 

If your going 30 you go for Quarrelers anything less you go thunderers. Also bear in mind if you take bugman you can deep strike him and a unit of quarrlers. I'd say 30 Quarrelers and some rune lords are the way to go. You get 60 shots that can be split of needed and rend with a rune lords will do what you need.

Thanks for the feedback!

The points for quarrellers is a commitment but at the same time they do seem pretty powerful. I am still wrapping my head around this game, but having decent wounds on the field seems to be very important. Artillery can do a lot of what quarrellers can do (and with less dice) but the quarrellers can grab objectives and real estate in a pinch while the cannons cannot. 

• 2 months later...

It good to keep in mind quarrelers are not to shabby in close combat either. Shield wall is an ok ability for a 5+ save. Now you need to also remember the forge fire from the rune lord also effect close combat, which means if the enemy is close and you know you'll get charges next go you'll be able to shoot and then charge a unit yourself hitting and wound on 4's where the thunderers wound on 5's

Over all Id just go 30 quarrelers especially since you have the ability to add bugman to just make them better for free.

To me if your looking for competitve dwarfs you need those quarrlers and with grim making them shoot 26" and their move of 4" that is a huge 30" reach!   

Archived