The Forgotten Dead - A PicLog

CoffeeGrunt

Two tiny updates as I've been playing more than I've been painting lately. Still, after seeing a nice tutorial by a guy on the Age of Sigmar group, I thought I'd try out a new way of painting ghost models to make them a little more visually-interesting. Here's a couple of Mantic Skeletons I used as test models:
DSC_0025.jpgDSC_0024.jpg

Also got myself an "Aglæca, Drēaguth Champion" from Mierce Miniatures, whom I am sourcing a ride for so they can be my counts-as Settra. Love the Celtic style on these miniatures, really reminds me of the LotR Barrow Wight minis, and the detail is astounding:DSC_0032.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking I'll use the Mortis Engine as a chariot for him, with some heavy modification. I haven't had much success with it, so using it for that might save the model for me.

Got five more Grave Guard painted to round out the last of my 20. I really like these guys, they're quick and fun to paint in small doses, plus I nicked some bits from Ironbreakers to make the Seneschal:
_20170111_225519.jpg_20170111_220621.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly finished the Darklands mini I got which will eventually be mounted on a Mortis Engine to be my Settra, but for now I've magnetised him so he can also be a particularly imposing Wight King when I feel  like it. Really loving these minis, thinking I'll get a couple of the Dreaguth as Cairn Wraiths after this.  

QsmCafH.jpg

1bY2xDv.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Idea I've had for my Blood Knights after reading up on the fluff for Blood Dragons, who sound pretty boss. So far I've got the mounts for the first five done, zombie Drakespawn/Cold Ones, who will then have skeletal riders with lances riding them. Should stand apart from my Black Knights enough that people won't mix them up on the table, and gives me something a bit more personalised:
ZeO4w8Y.jpg
JZqfPu1.jpg

Running them in a themed list this weekend of Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon and Blood Knights on these reptiles. My green stuff skills for making the Drakes look dead aren't great, and it's really hard to make reptiles look pale and dead as well!

• Like 4

You gave me a great idea. Use the drakes, but add the vampires from the Coven Throne kit for female Blood Knights. Hmmm....

Anyways, looking forward to the finished unit. The black eyes do a lot of work for the unit. Maybe have some colour variation on the flesh? Like some parts are rotting faster than other parts.

• Like 2

The Wight strode across the ruin of the battlefield, his enemy spent while his army only grew. Their defense had been firm and their 
warriors bellicose, but in the end all fell before him, and then marched beside him.

A cacophony of screams disturbed the stillness as the shambling undead hordes around them burst into homesteads and begin to sate their undying hunger on the peasants within. Pity and mercy were lost to the Wight, all that remained was the shadow of the ambition that had cost him his life, a puppet on unseen strings of his own devising, marching to take land that he never intended to hold.

A beast twitched before him, a spear buried in its neck. Even as it gargled through the wound, it thrashed and raged at the Wight, eager to strike him down with powerful jaws and fierce claws. His sword found its eyehole, ending its pain in a swift, sharp motion, but within him a shadow of respect stirred. The beast possessed powerful sinew and muscle beneath tough hide, and though some was laid bare to the frigid winds, much was intact. It would be a pitiful waste to see such a creature abandoned to rot, the Wight allowed only the weak to perish, those who were useless to him even when stripped to their bones.

A skeletal hand grasped the creature's head in an almost comforting fashion, holding the jaw delicately. With a thought, the creature twitched into life, others around it thrashing as if in their death throes once more. They steadily rose to their feet, obedient and docile, yet with an edge of hunger to them.

Their first feast was their former riders, all companionship lost amidst a neverending urge to feed. The Wight mounted is chosen steed, and others followed his example. The creature beneath him stirred and was obedient once more, stripping the flesh from the elf beneath him with vicious strikes. Such brutal savagery would be useful, yes. He guided it with a thought as he guided all his cohort, and once more the shambling, prowling forces of the dead marched to their next conquest. From the homesteads stumbled new, fresh corpses stripped of flesh, and yet the hunger of the shambling hordes would never be sated...

03n2xpW.jpg
NkHEoCM.jpg
1GJnUaS.jpg
HlF7vw6.jpg
w7DmVvb.jpg
Q3BnYjp.jpg
Nog5Zi9.jpg
2bcHQnp.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys, quite pleased with them and I've got five more on the build who will join them sometime soon. 

I like to imagine that it's the mount with the nasty Blood Knight attacks and the rider with the weaker Mount attacks, because it feels like it suits them more. :)

10 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I like to imagine that it's the mount with the nasty Blood Knight attacks and the rider with the weaker Mount attacks, because it feels like it suits them more. :)

Sounds about right. After all, it's a well known Warhammer fact that the mounts always do more damage than the riders xD

• Like 3

Decided to repaint my Spirit Hosts and add a bit of green to vary up the scheme and make them a bit more visually-interesting. (You can see the old paint job here.)  Also did my Banshees, but my new phone camera really does not want to take close-ups of miniatures so every pic of them came out blurry. Seems that Xperia phones have pretty bad cameras in them sadly, at least compared to my old Nokia. Thinking I'll borrow one of the whale-watcher cameras from work and use that for some better close ups:
8JpZ0wg.jpg
11obNP2.jpg

Edited by CoffeeGrunt
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Finished the Mortarch model I got a little while ago. Spent some time reposing it and magnetising the saddle so I could have my choice of Mortarchs riding it. Started off with Neferata as she's my personal favourite in both fluff and gameplay:

LZ7aH5F.jpg
KX31DEk.jpg
yAKcDpZ.jpg

eb8p2fL.jpg
tnCFXMw.jpg

Sadly my new phone's camera continues to be awful. :/

• Like 2

This is fantastic, neferata's pose works well, can really feel the lean. Those banshees are a great addition too and the glow on the rock adds alot of depth!

The new look spirit hosts look great too!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...