The Forgotten Dead - A PicLog

CoffeeGrunt

Hello everyone,

This is the thread where I'll be chronicling my little project of Very Dead People Who Try To Kill Still Alive People, or the Forces of Spookiness. I'm running them with the rule of no Vampires and no Ghouls. Everything will be actual, proper Undead. I.e., it was actually dead once, and now it isn't.

The fluff behind them is that they are a leaderless, mindless force of cruel nature. Across the Mortal Realms entire villages and towns have been swept clean of life. Plague, starvation, or the bite of the blade cut them down, leaving only windswept ruins and a mournful legacy none can remember. When the dead have none who remember them, when their earthly vessels are not committed to the earth, how then can the soul move on?

Starved, emaciated corpses claw their way from the drifts of snow that cover their buried homesteads, nursing a hunger that can never be sated, no matter how many other villages they gnaw clean of screaming life. Skeletal shadows of warriors past raise tattered banners and march once more, seeking a final death that will be remembered, rising again-and-again as each foe put to the sword falls pitifully short of their desire. They are led by generals who know only the hunger for power that saw their empires crumble and kingdoms overthrown, and continue to march their forces to forever conquer ground they have no plans to hold. At times the spectral hosts of those who met their end in the frigid depths of lakes and seas join them, crippling soldiers with the sensation of ice-water filling their lungs and stopping their breath, giving terrifying voice to their final, silent wails with their last breaths beneath the deep.

Basically, I want to have an Undead army that feels more traditional. Rather than a puppet of some pompous vampire or gribbly Necromancer, I've been trying to build them as an expanded Deathrattle kinda force. A force that never really got the memo that they died, and are simply shadows of their living selves pushed by the echoes of their living ambitions and desires, whether for food, war or power. Also it has giant, zombie bats, and sweet Jesus, what more needs to be said on that?

• Like 1

Anyway, some pictures. First up, the Terrorgheist which forms the centerpiece of my army and occasional ruination of my foes, when she feels like actually hitting with her attacks

I would like to apologise in advance for my awful phone camera. Apparently I missed the part in my insurance contract when my last one broke that they wouldn't actually replace like-for-like, but hey-ho, that's a story for another time:

WP_20160829_20_13_07_Pro.jpgWP_20160829_20_14_33_Pro.jpgWP_20160829_20_14_50_Pro.jpgWP_20160829_20_15_05_Pro.jpg

Edited by CoffeeGrunt
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My cavalry, made of Black Knights, that unit which hits like a wet sponge, but also absorbs hits like one too. There has actually been very few games where my opponent's have managed to kill all five of them, which is a hilarious fact I like to tell newbies, who then refuse to believe me until their units are tied up for three turns trying while the Skeleton Warriors close in...

Led by a Wight King I modified from an old Empire Knight, riding a "Wightmare Steed:"
WP_20160929_22_14_25_Pro.jpgWP_20160929_22_14_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20161009_22_43_58_Pro.jpgWP_20161009_22_43_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20161009_22_45_17_Pro.jpg

Edited by CoffeeGrunt
  • Like 5

Zombies. I wanted these guys to look a little more than just dead, as if they were prey to some horrific enchantment that allowed the cold to seep into their very skin and bones. I imagine their muscle crackling like thin ice as they latch onto their prey with an oh-so-cold grip that saps the strength and never lets go.

They're Mantic Zombies because those sculpts are just superior in almost every way. Had to get a little creative with the banner, but Eustace didn't really mind in the long run:
WP_20161016_18_07_32_Pro.jpgWP_20161016_18_07_48_Pro.jpgWP_20161016_18_08_04_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

Spoopy Skellington Warriors. They're the backbone of every list I run and I swear the thing with the most damage potential in my entire army, just insane. (It doesn't help that the Terrorgheist only actually kills anything in about half her games.) 

Updated pics below:
WP_20161023_20_14_27_Pro.jpgWP_20161023_20_14_43_Pro.jpgWP_20161023_20_15_03_Pro.jpg

Edited by CoffeeGrunt
  • Like 2

Finally, for now, here's a pic of my current 1500pt list. Currently painting up a phalanx of 40 Skeletons with Spears to replace the Tomb Banshee and Zombies. The Banshee has sadly been a bit useless against all my high Bravery opponents, and the latter were only ever a squishy roadblock that very rarely managed to actually kill anything. May also be replacing the Terrorgheist with a Zombie Dragon I'm building, depending on how that performs:

WP_20161016_19_50_30_Pro.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys. I'm debating putting a "Lich Lord" on my Zombie Dragon, as I discovered that the ZD comes with a throne that looks like a pain to remove. I've got a standard Necromancer model a local gamer gave to me from their old collection, and he plays pretty well, so I may Lich him up a bit before I paint him.

Will the Lich fit with your narrative? 

Skellies will work better than zombies if you've got a Wight King as a General. Your Zombies do look cool though  

You could slip in a mourngal to take you force up to 2000 pts and add some more killing power. It'd look cool alongside your Spirit Hosts ?

Edited by Ollie Grimwood

I suppose Lich is the wrong word to use, I meant that it'd be a Lich aesthetically but in fluff it'd ultimately be a pretty rad Wight King with a touch of ethereal sorcery, but not much more than that. I've actually done the model, which is below. I think it fits thematically and in fluff, and gives me a high-end general to run when I get the inclination:
WP_20161023_22_19_13_Pro.jpgWP_20161023_22_19_05_Pro.jpg

Also, I updated the Skeleton Warriors pics above. :)

The Mourngul is also very tempting, if only because it fits my fluff to a T. It's also a pretty ferocious unit, might see about grabbing one in 2017. :)

Edited by CoffeeGrunt

Thanks guys! And yeah, I've been floating around the Facebook Groups for a little while now, haha. I prefer forums for setting up project logs like this, though.

On that note, progress on the VLoZD. Basecoats mostly done on the steed itself, just finished the first oil wash of burnt umber all over. It'll be a few thin washes all over to tone down the colours, then highlights and specific colour shades, then perhaps another wash to unify everything. Then detail, blood and gore, the rider, the base...

cDlbCRw.jpg
QglVbsa.jpg

Lots to do!

• Like 2