Rise of Empires: Realm Hoppers Narrative Campaign

HobbyHammer

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right well I set myself a task of getting 3 units finished this weekend and it was originally going to be 3 x 10 Bloodletters. However after finishing the first unit I wanted to paint some of the fun stuff in between Bloodletters.

So I managed to finish, 10 x Bloodletters, 3 x Skin Wolves and The Exiled One himself Skarbrand (need to add a couple of Skull piles onto his base to finish him properly). Also realised I need to Black Rim the Wolves and Skarbrand.

Really need a photobooth as I suck at taking photos.

Bloodletters.JPG

SKin Wolves.JPG

Skarbrand.JPG

Da Age of Squigmar

An army by Dangermouse425

Da Boss And His Many Names

Moonclan Grots always were infamous for their maniacal plans, cackling schemes and their subsequent (usually hilarious or painful) failure. Never was their a more snivelling little Grot with grand ambitions than Spitnose, though his plans often lacked originality and the painful consequences were often meted out on himself or those around him. Since the dawn of the new age, when the humans launched their celestial assault on the forces of Chaos in a clash of golden Sigmarite and blood, Spitnose had been known by many names; Spitnose da Wolf Rida King, Spitnose da Chariotboss, and Spitnose da Mawcrusha Lord (though that title was only ever conceptual and that specific attempt at leading a Waaagh never really got off the ground...)

Never one to be downhearted after a string of failures, Spitnose decided that in his next attempt at conquering the Mortal Realms he would return to his roots. Being a Moonclan Grot, it seemed the obvious choice. In a grandiose ceremony, in front of as many of his followers as he could bully into staying in one place for five minutes, he named himself SPITNOSE DA SQUIG 'ERDER and declared to all that would listen that the Age of Sigmar was at an end, and that the AGE OF SQUIGMAR had begun!

How To Catch A Squig

Cave Squigs, as many of you well know, are vicious little beasts. Something you may not know is that they are probably the easiest of Squigs to catch. Using a fungi not dissimilar to the Mad Cap Mushrooms fed to Grot Fanatics, the Squig Catchers burn piles of these mania-inducing mushrooms outside of cave entrances, wafting the fumes down the various tunnels. This cunning technique was discovered by Spitnose's right-hand Grot and Shaman, GITNOB. Gitnob was always bossing those about beneath him, demanding the lower Grots to fetch him all manner of mushrooms and plants for his various concoctions., thus he was known as GITNOB DA BOSSY 

In the minutes that follow the mushroom-burning, most of the Cave Squigs within go wild, but it is during the post-high slumber that the plucky little Grots amble down into the depths, hunting the sleeping Squiggies in order to capture them and return them to their poorly constructed Squig pens. A hilarious, if not highly dangerous, side-effect of these Squig-catching jaunts is that the residual fumes lingering within the caves make the whole process somewhat amusing for the outside observer, as drugged-up Grots charge around the caverns making "wheeee" noises, or pretending to be Squigs themselves.

An Ill-Advised Pet

After one one of these merry adventures, Spitnose congratulated Gitnob on his recent efforts on filling the Squig pens with more Squigs. Soon, he said, the warband would have enough Squigs to start venturing through the old Realm Gate they had come across deep within one of the Squig caves. He scolded his least-favourite Shaman, NIBLIT, for his poor efforts in assisting. In a desperate attempt to seek approval and praise for da boss Niblit strode deep into the cavern network on the hunt for Squigs, taking his staff and an assortment of mushrooms with him.

Several weeks later he returned, much to the surprise of everyone else, who assumed Niblit had been nibbled to death by hungry Cave Squigs, and presented his findings to Spitnose - six baby Squiglets. Squiglets (baby Squigs, for those who are not familiar with the term) are highly prized amongst Moonclan Grots as they can be trained to be Extra Boingy, and therefore used as mounts for hopping into battle. Spitnose was very pleased, as he had always wanted to charge into battle atop a Squig of his own, especially as he had been getting bored of walking around with his own Squig, who had refused to grow even to the size of a Cave Squig. 

What happened next was somewhat of a surprise. Unbeknownst to the others, Niblit had been feeding the Squiglets from his mushroom pouch all the way back from his recent journey in an attempt to coax them out from their dingy cave and to convince them to stay with him for several weeks. No one was sure whether it was the random cocktail of drugs and toxins that that caused the massive growth, but it was more than likely the reason for the change in temperament. Rather than being vicious little bad-tempered balls of muscle and teeth, four of the Squiglets grew to be huge in size and absolute uncontrollable in nature. Before they could be subdued and knocked out with a potion of Gitnob's making, the four Squigs mangled their way through their encampment, destroying Spitnose's tent and wrecking several other things.

Ever The Opportunist

In between being incandescent with rage, Spitnose saw potential in these four Squigs. If their supplies of mushrooms could allow them to keep the huge Squigs sedated until they travelled through the Realm Gate, they could be used in a similar manner to Fanatics. As the Warband had run out of Mad Cap Mushrooms themselves, so lacked the means to "recruit" Fanatics, using these Mangler Squigs would be the next best thing. Or potentially even better!

Niblit was nicknamed NIBLIT DA WISE for his decision to bring back these little red bundles of rage, though it was give half-ironically, as Niblit was prone to making plenty of stupid decisions. 

But What of the Other Two Squiglets?

The astute amongst you will notice that only four Squiglets grew to become Mangler Squigs in this tale. Two are unaccounted for. Their fate? Well, their fate will be revealed closer to the event. But let's just say Gitnob and Niblit put their differences aside and combined their knowledge of mushrooms and Squig bio-chemistry in an attempt to create something even more... "colossal"...

It appears none of the other guys wrote up our game this month. We played the Realmhoppers scenario.

Featured we're myself, Dan Comeau, Joe McGough and Luke Grant.

The Sylvaneth immediately leapt through to other realms leaving their forces open to a swift strike by a small force of retributors as the rest of the Stormcast consolidated their realm and its objective.

The vampire lord assaulted the chaos forces in their own realm, eventually being bought down by concentrated fire. Meanwhile the bull centaurs leapt from realm to realm until they were ambushed in force by the stormcast as they finally made a move.

The remaining undead fought a bloody duel against the other half of the sylvaneth forces, coming out on top only to be confronted by the marauding Stormcast snatching their second and decisive objective.

The chaos forces remained in their own realm, the Vampire's attack occupying them so long they could play no part in the wider struggle and just claiming their own objective while in the realm of beasts a solitary Varghulf hid in a forest greedily protecting his objective.

It finished Greg 2, Joe 1, Luke 1 and Dan 0. Lucky realm hopping rolls for sure :)

The game was very involved which meant a lack of pictures but the 2 I have are my first turn making sure no one could surprise me and the final protection of my first objective while blocking the realm gate.

3647c00d4f2719c02b42cd4de3077921.jpg0e6f842ddf224b850b65f29c09522446.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waaagh Olrog

IMG_0122.JPG

Olrog Iron Ead, possesses a rare trait that sets him apart from the rest of his Greenskin brethren, intelligence. Most Orruks can claim a certain level of primeval cunning however Olrog has developed real intelligence. Though still a true Orruk he'd give anyone who mentioned it a "gud stomping". 

How this happened no one knows. Perhaps a blow to the head triggered his intellectual development or eating too much Aelve Archmage is to blame. Olrog could probably fathom it out but he had chosen to use his talents as any true follower of Gorkamorka should, to cause as much mayhem as he can. 

Utilising his intelligence Olrog quickly established himself as the undisputed leader of his tribe, by the simple expedient of wearing his thick, full face pig iron helmet while participating in the ritual head butting challenges, earning himself the title, Iron Ead. 

Olrog dispises the works of Aelves, Sylvaneth and men taking great delight tearing down their cities and burning sacred groves to the ground. His army has waged war cutting like a scythe though whomever crossed his path. Absorbing the remnants of other defeated followers of Gorkamorka onto his waaagh. Olrog is on the cusp of elevating himself to the ranks of the Ironjawz.  He arrives at the scene of battle  with the aim of destroying everything in his path, fueling his rise to Megabossdom. Or perhaps his intelligence has a divine source and Gorkamorka has another destiny in mind

IMG_0121.JPG

Bolg the Megaboss is Olrog's trusted lieutenant due to the fact he is undergoing somewhat of an existential crisis. Having his mighty Ironjawz defeated by Olrog's waaagh was bad enough, losing a  head butting contest to him and having to call a smaller Ourrk Boss was too much for him. This has severed Bolg from typical Greenskin ambition and he has settled into life as Olrog's enforcer stomping whomever he is told stomp. Possessing massive strength and able to shatter rock and stone with blows from his mighty fist, Bolg excels in his role. 

(Apologies for the poor photos I'll try for better and update when available)

IMG_0118.JPG

Years of warfare and several harsh winters has left Olrog's Gruntas without mounts. Joining the ranks of the infantry has done nothing to diminish their love of battle and the erstwhile Gruntas are gaining quite a reputation for savagery. 

IMG_0119.JPG

The rank and file of Olrog's Waaagh. Da Big Mob comprises the grizzled remnants of Olrog's earliest battles. Like their Warboss near constant warfare has meant soon they will emerge as full blown Ard Boyz. 

Thought I would give a small points update as so many of you have been busy! 

@TalesOfSigmar - 20 Renown Points (Now Level 3 and another Treasure Card!)
@Dangermouse425 - 1 Renown Point (But as promised, a bonus Treasure Card for the Story)
@bennyp - 1 Renown Point (Paint 2 more before end of month for the bonus points)
@Paul G - 13 Renown points 
@HobbyHammer - 7 Renown Points
@Spiky Norman - 9 Renown Points
@Grønlykke - 9 Renown Point 
@Nixon - 10 Renown Points
@Roar - 2 Renown Points
@Silent joe - 7 Renown Points
@Dan Comeau - 3 Renown Point
@JontyGoesGaming - 4 Renown Points
@childoffang - 6 Renown points (As promised, a bonus Treasure Card to use at Realm Hoppers)
Luke Grant - 3 Renown Points (Don't know your TGA handle)
@Ollie Grimwood - 9 Renown Points (Level 2 achieved and a treasure card!)

Card choices to follow! 

Just now, childoffang said:

Trickster's Brew please, what can go wrong....

YES, I am so happy you chose this! As a Stormcast player, I thought Mystic Shield would be too much of a dangling carrot not to take.. but in a narrative sense. Tricksters Brew is the one!! 

You win life!

Archived