So - the Lord-Veritant!

Double Misfire

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The warscroll in the app has been updated to fix the typo. Now the +3 to the unbending roll is no longer limited to your hero phase. 

It's nice to see that GW is paying attention to feedback and confusion, even if they don't expressly tell you they made an update. 

IMG_5191.PNG

30 minutes ago, Nico said:

That's pretty sweet.

Now to hope that the Rogue Idol becomes an Orruk and that The Glottkin's unusable -1 to hit ability gets amended too.

I think a full thread gets a good bit of attention. As opposed to comments here and there.

Maybe there should be a warscroll correction section to make threads about specific warscrolls. GW could easily snipe all the typos away if they're collated.

Anyone been playing him lately? I've exclusively been running him as my general and its been really fun and thematic, especially in smaller point games. He's not 100% a useful choice, but as i've taken a liking to accusing my opponents of foul sorceries, he's a blast. Giving him the command trait of +1 attack, and the artifact that adds +1 to his damage, with a castellant behind him giving him +1 save, he becomes the lord of no-fun.

17 minutes ago, hellalugosi said:

Anyone been playing him lately? I've exclusively been running him as my general and its been really fun and thematic, especially in smaller point games. He's not 100% a useful choice, but as i've taken a liking to accusing my opponents of foul sorceries, he's a blast. Giving him the command trait of +1 attack, and the artifact that adds +1 to his damage, with a castellant behind him giving him +1 save, he becomes the lord of no-fun.

Pretty much any vaguely killy Order hero will. What he really becomes is the Lord of Silly-Player-Who-Overlooked-Taking-Reckless ;) (always take Reckless. Even as a dwarf)

On 20/10/2016 at 6:05 PM, Nico said:

That's pretty sweet.

Now to hope that the Rogue Idol becomes an Orruk and that The Glottkin's unusable -1 to hit ability gets amended too.

The Rogue Idol shouldn't have the Orruk keyword anymore than Verminlords should have the Skaven keyword or Gryph-Hounds should have Human. It's not an orruk, it's a big pile of rocks that look like an orruk that the orruks worship. The difference could save your life. :P

Thanquol on Boneripper and the Warlord on Brood Horror not having the Moulder keyword on the other hand...

• 2 months later...

I think if you play with sideboards, unless you have to dedicate the whole thing to a gimmick, putting a Veritant in there could be useful. 

In general, I think I like him. An extra wound, pretty good combat, occasionally can swing a hero phase. If he was 20-40 points cheaper I would say he's nearly an auto-include in any foot SE list, but at 120 it's a decision. I've got him mainly for the Gryph-Hound but also for the potential against magicky armies in casual games.

I would say its a typical failure for wanting to do everything in the same model.

If GW halves its melee capabilty and lower the points to 70 ~ 80, it will be really useful. Now? Now the enemy will focus fire on him anyway. It's 120Pts for 6 wound and moving really slowly. I seldom see he swing his weapon before he dies so who care about his melee profile?

I agree he is slow and since he's new, he doesn't fit into existing battalions.  If I knew I were going up against a magic based army I would include him but otherwise no.

He might be fun if played in a whole anti-magic type army list.  Him, witch hunters, etc.

I mean I'll play him now (lots of death players in my area).  But most wizards hide behind their forces, so the Veritant has to make it pretty much all the way across the board to get to use his powers effectively.   So yeah if they added him to that or came up with a mage hunting battalion  (Venator, Veritant, Gryph hounds, etc)  That would be better.

If he could hop on the Warrior Brotherhood he'd def be worth taking a look at. One thing about magic in AOS is that, it seems to me, you are rarely in range for unbinding spells. Dropping the Lord Veritant on the front lines, ready to go, would be awesome. It would also help to mitigate the short range of Sanction, although you'd still probably need to get him stuck in to get close enough to use sanction effectively. At best, you could use sanction at the top of turn 2 assuming you don't get the double turn and your opponent moves a wizard in range. At worst you are looking at turn three, as Sanction activates in hero phase, so you would need to move him up first in top of turn 2. So still not super effective. BUT, this would force your opponent to tread carefully with their wizards, or send an outsized response to hero that is marginally more expensive than most.

Def would have more upside in the Warrior Brotherhood.

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Would you consider him if GW updated the Warrior Brotherhood to allow him? Drop him right into the middle of some Wizards and take advantage of his weapon? 

I doubt it. Usually WB will need one Azyros and one LC on foot. Sometimes it's even asking for 2 Azyros. Include a wizard hunter to get some D3 benefit? i believe it's a waste of slot.

2 minutes ago, chord said:

Maybe a battalion like Hammerstrike but Veritant based.

1 unit of Prosecutors

1 Lord Veritant

1-3 Gryph Hounds

Same rules about dropping the Veritant and/gryph hounds as the Hammer Strike

Thoughts?

That might work quit well. The Gryph Hounds can never survive crossing battle field on foot. 

I really like him. Sure, sometimes you play againsf KDK, but most armies I face that aren't SCE or Beastclaws have at least some magic. Besides, if you give him the Relic Blade, he clocks in at 4A 3+/3+/-1/3, which is quite vicious. Combine with Lord Celestant for extra hilarity. I think he is worth it. He would be much less so, if he wasn't a good combatant.

Since they cut him down to one dispel I think he's useless in MP. He needs the (overpriced) dog to not only be paid for but also in range to even be good at his one unbind. He's practically just a generic SCE hero beyond that, priced higher than a Castellant or Celestant. Not being able to deepstrike him is just salt in the wound.

The app says one dispell. The online Warscroll still gives him unlimited, much like the Khorne Lord with Dog, unless they changed something recently. In this case I am more inclined to go with the online Warscroll, because it is more widely accessible and is meant to be the hallmark.

2 hours ago, Immersturm said:

The app says one dispell. The online Warscroll still gives him unlimited, much like the Khorne Lord with Dog, unless they changed something recently. In this case I am more inclined to go with the online Warscroll, because it is more widely accessible and is meant to be the hallmark.

I agree,  if you can't run the app it is all you can use.

Archived