So - the Lord-Veritant!

Double Misfire

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually love the model, but dislike his capabilities. Very situational and the range of his abilities require you to be quite close, which if you take this character you want him alive and safe at all times. 

However, he is above average in terms of killyness and looks like he could do some damage. 

As for me, I can't see myself fielding him. His D3 mortal wounds is nice, but a lot of our Stormcast can do that.

I do not like him a lot.

He has one more attack than the Lord Castellan but cost 20 points more so it is a loss on the fightyness part.

On the utility side, the D3 dammage on spellcaster is on 4+, the comparison with the relictor is D3 dammage on 3+ on anyone with a -1 to hit for them. But the relictor hit exactly twice less hard in close combat.

Dispelling magic is not that useful in Age of Sigmar. Forcing you to be in LOS and at 18" is very restrictive. And spellcasaters are not what they used to be, no purple sun in sight. Some army don't even field magic at all.

The day of the scroll-caddy are gone, this guy is so situational it is sad.

On the Fluff side HE IS AMAZING! I love him so much i am gonna buy one anyway, even if he is a dustcollector and a narrative battle hero.

What i do not like above all is that they where lazy and used half the Lord Castellan sprue and just add bits to make him look different. He ends up having the exat same pose and you can almost confound them.

Posted a question to confirm as I'm super uncertain, but is he 120 with 1 optional gryph hound at setup? Not sure. Seems rather good if so.

Edit/ the reason I have this doubt is the difference in the castellant and veritant warscrolls with regards to hounds.

7 minutes ago, kozokus said:

What i do not like above all is that they where lazy and used half the Lord Castellan sprue and just add bits to make him look different. He ends up having the exat same pose and you can almost confound them.

I don't understand this. Well I do, given that AoS so far has been all about unique awesome models. But, not even that long ago, this was par for the course. Multikits building several unique models with some similar elements.

Even now stormcast alone have:

all infantry kits

dracothian guard

stardrake kit

As models that are similar but that build variations.

4 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Posted a question to confirm as I'm super uncertain, but is he 120 with 1 optional gryph hound at setup? Not sure. Seems rather good if so.

Edit/ the reason I have this doubt is the difference in the castellant and veritant warscrolls with regards to hounds.

"A Lord-Castellant is a single model."

"A Lord-Veritant is a single model."
"Bound in Service" seems to me like any other summoning or special set up rule.

So 120 points for the single Veritant and and another 40 for the Hound.

What i do like is that the Veritant has 6 wounds. That is one more wound than the other Heroes. He seems to be really fighty. I also like the look of him. I just hope his typo gets fixed or clarified.

I wouldn't say it is summoning at all but special setup covers it 100%. So I've been trying to find examples.

It's tough for me given I'm a SC-head.

But I did remember the Excelsior warpriest (like the veritant  and not Castellant with regard to setup and the hound) and thenthe Gaunt Summoner and his has something similar:

"The Gaunt Summoner is a Single Model" line. Then after deployment you setup the familiars at no cost (they have no separate warscroll - which is maybe an important distinction).

So basically I see what you're saying and I suspect that there is a cost but, so far, the wording or logic for  doesn't convince me.

Okay so, personally, I am now just going to pay for a gryph hound if I want it.

1. It feels right

2. It makes no sense to say it is optional if it's free

I also agree with Double Misfire's answer to my question, it IS a new unit which has a warscroll.

The gaunt summoner (now I think on it) also mentions that the familiars are removed with the summoner and must stay near. The gryph hound has no such requirement. The hound is a full independent unit with bonuses when near the 3 order heroes it can become bound to.

So back on topic:

At 120 points I would love to take him against wizard heavy armies. At 160 he does what he's good at a little better so I still would.

Non-wizard heavy army? Not convinced he is worth it... but shouldn't that be the case? He is anti-wizard.

I see him more like a fighter hero that can ocasionally dispel (and get +2 at point blank) After all he can only dispell ONE spell and that is far worse than usual dedicated dispeller. A hero that fling 3 spells a turn is no match for him unless he cuts his tongue with his mighty-muerderous-sword-o'-destructyness.

The mighty lord of Korne has a dog that eat magic and chew gum. As there is no gum left, he eats magic better than anyone in the game.

2 minutes ago, kozokus said:

I see him more like a fighter hero that can ocasionally dispel (and get +2 at point blank) After all he can only dispell ONE spell and that is far worse than usual dedicated dispeller. A hero that fling 3 spells a turn is no match for him unless he cuts his tongue with his mighty-muerderous-sword-o'-destructyness.

The mighty lord of Korne has a dog that eat magic and chew gum. As there is no gum left, he eats magic better than anyone in the game.

There's no dispell limit on the Veritant.  He is like the mighty lord of khorne.

Or was that edited or updated?

4 minutes ago, Turragor said:

There's no dispell limit on the Veritant.  He is like the mighty lord of khorne.

Or was that edited or updated?

Nope, he can dispel as many spells as he pleases like the Mighty Lord of Khorne and Slaughterpriest.

8 minutes ago, kozokus said:

I agree, he's a really solid combat hero, with better melee damage output than the Celestant on foot or Castellant. If I played Stormcast I'd probably run him (and 40 summon points for the gryph-hound!) in an all comers list with Legendary Fighter and either +1 damage or rend on his sword depending on what I was up against. The gryph-hound would still be situationally useful against anything with special deployment and if an opponent was unfortunate enough to have taken a bunch of guys in dresses planning on chucking fireballs around, being able to shut them down would just be an added bonus.

Regarding gryph hound points:

If we take the relevant parts of the rule in the ghb, it says: "sometimes an ability will allow you to add units to your army. You must set aside some of your points.....".
Not that that makes much difference to normal points cost, unless you're attending a tournament that caps summoning points and you wanted other stuff.

But yeah, comes out of your summoning points.

I have preordered one. Gotta catch em' all!

In terms of usefulness he does exactly what says on the tin, he unbinds spells, hurts spellcasters and when neither spells or spellcasters are around he supplements his rather specialized kit with some good old fashioned kicking butt. 

The range on his abilities is there for a purpose, he goes forth, he is not a support caster like the Relictor, he is effectively a character hunter, specialized in killing/hurting mages. His good weapon damage allow him to be fairly useful when he gets in range of the enemy spellcasters and he is somehow intended to work with a gryph-hound (again a melee beastie).

Will it be a staple of the Stormcast armies?

As time progresses I think he will be one of those nigh must have heroes. Not that he brings very much to an already specialized (or, on the other hand, generic) army, but because I have a suspect that more and more magic goodies are inbound with as the release of the other armies will progress. 

In short, he is not an uber character, but he will be surely handy with what is already looking to become a magic heavy meta. 

Personally, I think this is a pretty well-balanced hero. Summoning is already a risky prospect, and I don't think this makes summoning that much riskier - just keep my summoner away from him. And hell... if I'm really going all-in on Death summoning, I'm going to have multiple summoners and a mortis engine and morghasts and so on. I can definitely bring more summoners than you will bring lords veritant.

I'd say he's also useful, because some magic defense is always nice. And he gives you that while maintaining the no-wizards theme of the Stormcast, which is a holdover from the days of Sigmar-worship in the Old World. Strong themes are cool.

Maybe he'll turn into taking a dispel scroll in WFB. Sure you're 25 points out against dwarfs, but if you don't pack one you'll definitely wish you had against Teclis.

I'd actually argue how useful his dispel ability is - assuming the gryph-hound gives +3 to the Veritant's dispel rolls and not his prayer, at three wounds with no save it's ridculously easy to shoot off, even before you have to manuver it within 7" of your oppnent's top wizard. You have to beat, not match your opponent's casting roll to dispel a spell in AoS and nothing without a bonus like a Runelord or Balthasar Gelt is going to dispel anything with any regularity.

I love the model, and will be running him with judicators in tow because of the gryph hound. I'm happy with the idea that he's a killy hero, as his combos seem like he needs to be up close and personal. No limit in how many spells he can dispel is invaluable for those big casters!

I'm sure the competitive meta will eventually allow two lists (if it doesn't already), he might find a spot then.

I'm not hot on his appearance, but these days every modelling company uses CAD short cuts. The result is exactly what you'd imagine.

Archived