Rampaging Destroyers move to retreat?

cb_rex

I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are on using the Rampaging Destroyers ability to move a unit that is in combat (ie. within 3" of an enemy) out of combat in order to move or charge freely again later in the turn?  

I'm thinking it's not technically a retreat move so would be feasible, also there are a few things you have to achieve to make it work, (ie. be within 6" of the general/hero and roll high enough to get away from the combat). 

I'm trying to make Boar Chariots work, and if keep getting to charge then maybe I'll roll some scythed wheel mortal wounds.

It is a retreat.

It's a move, not a "set up" the models elsewhere rule (compare to Vexilloring a unit out of combat or Sylvaneth Wood movement - although the latter does put a table of restrictions on subsequent movement for balance reasons). The relevant rule is that if you retreated that turn (not that movement phase), you cannot charge.

Anything else would be utterly horrendous - a Stonehorn pulling out to charge again etc.. 

What Nico has said.

The Rampaging Destroyers rule says "The unit can move a number of inches equal to the dice roll as if it were the movement phase, but cannot run." So to me you effectively get an sub movement phase when using this rule within the Hero phase and as such follows the rules for the movement phase.

Trust me, I would love to be able to do this as my Stonehorn will love it!!! :D 

As others said this doesn't work. 

There is however a tactic that's possible with casters for sniping other casters or shooters.

Keep your Weirdnob Shaman outside of 18" of the caster that wants to blast you with arcane bolt.  Use rampaging destroyers to move into range.  Cast your arcane bolt to snipe them.  Then move away to safety in the movement phase.

I believe this is actually covered in the General's Handbook FAQ.

The above answers are correct.

2 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

You can still retreat out of combat as long as you roll a 3 or higher but it also means you will not be able to charge or shoot later in the turn. 

Just a further note on this for newer players reading; you do need all models to be able to get 3" clear of all enemies for the retreat to be successful. Otherwise it doesn't happen. Sometimes this will mean a roll of 3 isn't enough.

1 hour ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I've literally never heard the like (well actually I did see someone suggesting taking a wizard in a Bloodbound army). Why retreat if you're in combat surely you've got the enemy just where you want him. 

How about an Aelf army ?

You never retreated bravely..... ?

On 07/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

as if it were the movement phase

On 07/10/2016 at 3:34 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

You do need all models to be able to get 3" clear of all enemies for the retreat to be successful.

This basically covers it all. It's possible, but treated as a move, and if you roll poorly, it's not going to happen so you remain locked in combat.

Of note though, you don't "try to move" and fail, you just can't move. Like a failed charge.

Archived