Repairing the lore

- Rename Stormcast Eternals to Seraphon (seraph ~ angel), and embrace the angelic warrior links they so clearly have.

- Rename current Seraphon to something like 'Dracothian's Brood'. Tie up the lore with Dracothian, and have them take on the wise old ancient lineage race they've always been, with the Stormcast revereing them almost. Remove daemon from their keywords. Think about giving them some form of dragon keyword. An end to space-daemon-aztec-lizards.

- Get off the fence with the Aelves. You've removed distinctions such as high, dark, wood etc, but have still kept them isolated in their respective segregated factions, leading to such travesties as 'Shadowblades' faction being only two units, neither of which are 'Shadow Warriors'. Put assassins, dark riders, shadow warriors all in this faction, and maybe even glade guard, executioners, wildwood rangers and waywatchers. Consider bringing lothern seaguard out of retirement and placing them in the scourge fleet. Merge order draconis and serpentis. Really merge these aelven factions so that we can create decent lists with decent synergy.

- Put Skaven into Destruction. They belong there and the alliance could use the numbers.

- Remove Death as an alliance and replace with Creation. This can then be the foil for Destruction in the way that Order is for Chaos. Add Sylvaneth to Creation and relieve Death of its anemia and allow the combination of the spirits and forces of life and death itself. Rebirth and resurrection.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Rename Archaon 'Jeffy' to avoid any confusion with the similarly named Dark Eldar HQ choice.

-Aelves got split into multiple factions so do the same for dwarfs. You could have 'Ironhammers', made up of Ironbreakers and Hammerers, 'Upperdowners' made up of miners and gyrocopters and 'Fyrefighters' made out of Irondrakes and the Chaos Dwarf range. Dwarfs have too much synergy and it needs to be broken.

-Put Slaanesh into Death. Both factions suck and GW obviously doesn't want/care about them so maybe think about lumping them together.

-Put Skaven into 40k. Nobody ****** likes them and 40k players deserve them.

-Remove Jeffy and replace with zoats.

Never... and creation? Yeah no 

Per the words of nagash all are an enemy of Death chaos, sigmar and the vile forces of destruction. 

"Seek out my foes and make them yours! Take from them as they have taken from me!" 

I don't think there is anything to repair also remember some of the Alef's factions might get folded together when they get a battle tome. 

Skaven fits chaos, destruction is like a force of nature skaven are not. They are pretty much the embodiment of decay and chaos. 

Just to throw something on topic and useful in here:  After the End Times all the Aelves were united as one faction.  I suggest all the Aelves be merged under one faction and given a proper codex with many battalion formations allowing for taking entire armies of what once was any of the three Elf factions separately or unified forces from all three. This would be great and consistent with the fluff so long as Malarion kills Terion for hitting on his cheating wife, but that shouldn't be hard cause he is blind now. Seriously why on earth is Terion even a thing, how can every Aelf not want him to be killed immediately for the widow-maker shenanigans Khaine destroying the elf race stuff he got up to. 

I say move the Dark Aelves into another faction, I mean these guys torture for pleasure, they're not really "Order-esque". I can see them being in Destruction, creating a tag team of Orcs smashing everyone, and the Dark Aelves capturing and torturing the runaways, all for the sake of lols and giggles.

13 minutes ago, Braggoth said:

I say move the Dark Aelves into another faction, I mean these guys torture for pleasure, they're not really "Order-esque". I can see them being in Destruction, creating a tag team of Orcs smashing everyone, and the Dark Aelves capturing and torturing the runaways, all for the sake of lols and giggles.

Totally disagree.  If you'd read the literature for the end times you'd know why that is very wrong.  Malekith (king of the dark elves) is now the king of all the elves.  It turns out he should have been all along because jealous haters sabotaged his coronation and every phoenix king there after cheated the test.  Malekith actually turned pretty reasonable in the end, moderating his impulses to mercilessly slaughter his opposition in order to unify the Elf race to stand against the impending doom of chaos.  Poor guy even threw himself under a boulder to save Alarielle (his wife) from being killed and got his own legs smashed to bloody pulp instead, only to have her holding hands with Terion both of them refusing to help him while they all get swallowed by a warp rift. 

But hey they (GW) can butcher the lore all they want I suppose.  Maybe they will do like you said and go hard-core cliché on the aelf leftovers, because why would they want to appeal to the fan base that supported the game for decades, right?

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

-Rename Archaon 'Jeffy' to avoid any confusion with the similarly named Dark Eldar HQ choice.

-Aelves got split into multiple factions so do the same for dwarfs. You could have 'Ironhammers', made up of Ironbreakers and Hammerers, 'Upperdowners' made up of miners and gyrocopters and 'Fyrefighters' made out of Irondrakes and the Chaos Dwarf range. Dwarfs have too much synergy and it needs to be broken.

-Put Slaanesh into Death. Both factions suck and GW obviously doesn't want/care about them so maybe think about lumping them together.

-Put Skaven into 40k. Nobody ****** likes them and 40k players deserve them.

-Remove Jeffy and replace with zoats.

you sir have the feisty sarcastic salty flavor that I find very tasty. Careful though cause you'll get scolded for being negative and they don't want that kind of attitude around here.

5 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

- Rename Stormcast Eternals to Seraphon (seraph ~ angel), and embrace the angelic warrior links they so clearly have.

- Rename current Seraphon to something like 'Dracothian's Brood'. Tie up the lore with Dracothian, and have them take on the wise old ancient lineage race they've always been, with the Stormcast revereing them almost. Remove daemon from their keywords. Think about giving them some form of dragon keyword. An end to space-daemon-aztec-lizards.

- Get off the fence with the Aelves. You've removed distinctions such as high, dark, wood etc, but have still kept them isolated in their respective segregated factions, leading to such travesties as 'Shadowblades' faction being only two units, neither of which are 'Shadow Warriors'. Put assassins, dark riders, shadow warriors all in this faction, and maybe even glade guard, executioners, wildwood rangers and waywatchers. Consider bringing lothern seaguard out of retirement and placing them in the scourge fleet. Merge order draconis and serpentis. Really merge these aelven factions so that we can create decent lists with decent synergy.

- Put Skaven into Destruction. They belong there and the alliance could use the numbers.

- Remove Death as an alliance and replace with Creation. This can then be the foil for Destruction in the way that Order is for Chaos. Add Sylvaneth to Creation and relieve Death of its anemia and allow the combination of the spirits and forces of life and death itself. Rebirth and resurrection.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Completely agree with the seraphon being an appropriate name for the Stormcasts, but unfortunately it's too ingrained to go back now...

As for the Skaven into destruction, disagree.  The Great Horned Rat has always been a chaos god and had his own Greater Daemons.  

While death needs some help, I don't think the army of life are the ones who'll be providing it.

1 hour ago, buffalozap said:

It turns out he should have been all along because jealous haters sabotaged his coronation and every phoenix king there after cheated the test. 

It is more annoying that his god pulled "just as planned". Malekith's eternity of pain and malice were preordained, spells that were used by others was tolerated.

I'm sure a god could easily broke the enchantments used by participants, if he truly wanted, but he foresaw something and went along with or perhaps he really was in a position where he couldn't do anything. Either way, all that pain and inner strife of the elven race was tolerated and preordained for a role to play in the final gambit of the gods. It simply blows my mind.

I think Stormcast Eternals is a rather fitting name. o.O

Imo the warlord clans and Skyre should got to Destruction (because destruction don't have enough artillery or cheap battleline), Eshin should join Order and the Shadowblades because they are spies and assassins and probably picked up a bit of culture and honour spying on the good guys for so long (hoping for the first fully 'ninja' battetome :ph34r:), and Pestilens should probably go to Death because several of the plague monk minis have skulls showing. Moulder can remain with Chaos because Chaos players would kick up a fuss if stormfiends were taken away from them. 9_9

I like the Seraphon background I think it's brilliant. 

We've not really had any Aelf background for AoS so I'd say there isn't anything to repair we've just got to wait and see at the moment. 

I not sure Skaven fit with destruction they sort of live to plot rather than fight (but then again so do Grots). 

I suspect next year may be fairly illuminating on the background front 

9 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

- Remove Death as an alliance and replace with Creation. This can then be the foil for Destruction in the way that Order is for Chaos.

I actually like this but keep the focus on dark arts, alchemy and necromancy. Perhaps primitive machinery. Automotons.

I like it as a kind of other side to the coin of life. I might not agree with your broad strokes changes but I think death needs work to get it interesting.

The Great Horned Rat has been elevated in to the Pantheon of Chaos Gods.... Not really fitting to have them move to Destruction.

Aelves will get a complete reboot. They have two Gods, Malerion of the Shadow Realm (Ulgu), and Tyrion of the Light Realm (Hysh). Don't expect the old Aelves to make the cut into new Battletomes. Except those that are 'new' The recent Dark Elves and Wood Elves releases will probably find a new paint job and places in these two factions.

And remember Order is an Alliance of factions against Chaos. It's not the 'Good Guys' Alliance. Hence the old Dark Elves fit. Although it would be good to have the Cult of Slaanesh back, and in the Chaos Grand Alliance. And with the new direction of AoS, this is so easy to do.

1 hour ago, Bowlzee said:

The Great Horned Rat has been elevated in to the Pantheon of Chaos Gods.... Not really fitting to have them move to Destruction.

Aelves will get a complete reboot. They have two Gods, Malerion of the Shadow Realm (Ulgu), and Tyrion of the Light Realm (Hysh). Don't expect the old Aelves to make the cut into new Battletomes. Except those that are 'new' The recent Dark Elves and Wood Elves releases will probably find a new paint job and places in these two factions.

And remember Order is an Alliance of factions against Chaos. It's not the 'Good Guys' Alliance. Hence the old Dark Elves fit. Although it would be good to have the Cult of Slaanesh back, and in the Chaos Grand Alliance. And with the new direction of AoS, this is so easy to do.

so this. im so all over this. cult of slaanesh. 

so much so im seriously considering buying a bunch of the old dark elf stuff to make slaanesh warriors. 

I think Skaven being a part of chaos will make more sense if future releases push technology slightly further. 

Free Peoples and Duardin might become more technological, which adds a flavourful distance between them and Elves who could fit either the High Fantasy roll or some sort of roll as Mystics, each diametrically aligned under their own demigod. It'll make you wonder what situation Sigmar would be in if Malereon and whatever the hell Tyrieclis is going to be called, weren't aligned with him against Chaos. 

Stormcast and Seraphon lore seems to suggest them both as being the main force against Chaos within the faction. Given the whole heavenly avengers angle. 

If Free Peoples and Duardin do go down that route, the Skaven will make a great deal more sense as some kind of sworn enemy and counterpart within the Chaos faction. 

Plus from a practical point of view, they give Chaos access to War machines and ranged combat which they've always sorely lacked. 

I absolutely love the idea of Death being more about Life, Rebirth etc. It ties nicely into the Stormcast Lore and having Sylvaneth as a counterpoint within the same faction is totally inspired. However it's hard to market that to people. Having a faction which is diametrically opposed to itself isn't going to make a huge amount of sense on a store shelf. 

From my point of view, I see Order and Chaos as the two factions who have their ****** together. Death could rival then, but their power is currently at its nadir. Destruction on the other hand are a threat purely down to their mindless brutality. They need to spread but not conquer. They don't topple cities in order to build their own empires, they do so to plunder or just because it's a huge amount of fun for them. The design of their models suit the barbarous and glutinous nature they possess. 

As an old school dark elf player from 5th. Wtf with malekith? So he was screwed out of being king and it wasn't just because he was evil that the flames rejected him? So dark elves were right all along and we were wrongly exiled from ulthuan by out traitorous brethren?

I do not mind lore but I want to see them try and give a flavor other than just bring back the stuff they already got rid of when they destroyed the world. Aelves are going to be interesting to see how they come three different looking aspects into one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I feel the Death a faction is supposed to represent polar opposite of Chaos in that it's a state of unchanging permanence rather than change ( much like the gods of law from the early days) Mixing it with rebirth and life changes that quite dramatically as that is a cycle of constant change and in essence more of a chaos aspect. Downright Tzeentchian in fact,  Aekold Hellbrass anyone? 

I like the idea of Creation rather than Death. The four grand alliances are way too generic for how fantastical Age of Sigmar is supposed to be. I think there needs to be more of a reason why these factions are aligned, or do away with grand alliances period and instead have lists of allies for each faction. That would be a pretty big rework though.

I hope they either cut down the model range more or fill out all the teeny/old factions, because right now I think it dilutes the feel of AoS.

Archived