Jump to content
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ben

TGA Ultimate Guide to Bases in Age of Sigmar

153 posts in this topic

Starscream    2

I am not going to read the whole thread.

 

I put a lot of work into my bases in the past, and to find that eveything is on rounds is quite disheartenig

Can I keep my square bases, is there a way to modify them gently or is this a situation of I shelve my army and simply restart (very  much not desirable)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AverageBoss    79
2 hours ago, Starscream said:

I am not going to read the whole thread.

 

I put a lot of work into my bases in the past, and to find that eveything is on rounds is quite disheartenig

Can I keep my square bases, is there a way to modify them gently or is this a situation of I shelve my army and simply restart (very  much not desirable)

It depends. If your models moved to larger bases, then you can snip off the bottom rim, and glue it to the top of the new base. Then you just need some extra flock. If they moved to smaller bases, that's much more of a problem.

I personally am not going to bother. Daemon infantry have already switched bases twice during AoS and are pictured on both sized bases in their respective battle tomes (DoT and BoK). Whats more is I am pretty sure this:

99120218023_StormcastLongstrikeRaptors01

shows that GW only packs models with bases that accommodate their poses. Additionally, you still see space marine armies at GTs with sqaure based bikes and 25mm marines. I don't think AoS should be less inclusive to legacy armies than 40K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Starscream    2
1 hour ago, AverageBoss said:

It depends. If your models moved to larger bases, then you can snip off the bottom rim, and glue it to the top of the new base. Then you just need some extra flock. If they moved to smaller bases, that's much more of a problem.

I personally am not going to bother. Daemon infantry have already switched bases twice during AoS and are pictured on both sized bases in their respective battle tomes (DoT and BoK). Whats more is I am pretty sure this:

99120218023_StormcastLongstrikeRaptors01

shows that GW only packs models with bases that accommodate their poses. Additionally, you still see space marine armies at GTs with sqaure based bikes and 25mm marines. I don't think AoS should be less inclusive to legacy armies than 40K.

Yeah I did consider the whole "snippy. I operate an orcs and gobbos army, with over 6k painted. number of th figures have semi sculpted bases which would be tedious or destructive to re-do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Johann    75
8 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

What would an exalted seeker chariot go on?

I took the large oval base from the original box, I'm not at home, but according to the chart in post one, it should 120mm x 92. it would be good, if another person can confirm this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just looking on the main GW site to see what base sizes things should be for rebasing a unit of Ungors and a unit of Chaos warriors

The Ungors are still shipped/listed w/ 20mm squares so I assume 25mm rounds would be ok for them.

It listed the CW's w/ 32mm rounds, are we sure they have not already went to 40's?  The Stormcasts come w/ big ones in the main box and are not that much bigger/more powerful than CW's.  I don't want to rebase them incorrectly.

Also noticed what someone else posted above, that unit has different base sizes within it which seems odd.  I understand one is just standing with his rifle instead of crouching and bracing but it makes base size seem arbitrary to say the least.  Also the main box set has different base sizes for the Lord of Khorne and the Korgoraths than anything else I have seen.  Is there really a standardized base size at all at this point?

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phantajisto    11

I don't think base sizes are hugely important unless people start using them to their advantage. The spreadsheet is very useful to find the best way to rebase old models, whether official sizes or best fits. A few updates:

Chaos Knights are now sold with 75x42mm ovals.

The Lord of Change and Kairos are now on 100mm rounds.

The STD Daemon Prince comes with a 60mm round.

Tamurkhan is 160 round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheOtherJosh    363
... A few updates:
Chaos Knights are now sold with 75x42mm ovals.


And annoyingly enough they don't have Shattered Dominion bases in that specific size... (or in 50mm round base sizes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strammefar    4

Can anyone tell me which base I should use for snotlings and how many models i should put on it?
And which base do I put Skarsnik and his Gobbla on?
Thanks in advance! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheOtherJosh    363
Can anyone tell me which base I should use for snotlings and how many models i should put on it?
And which base do I put Skarsnik and his Gobbla on?
Thanks in advance!


Skarsnik & Gobbla - 60mm Round

Snotling Swarm - 50 mm Round (around 5-7 is more than reasonable, though I've seen them with as few as 3-4. if you're doing fewer models put in scenery bits to fill up the space as a scenic base.)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sactownbri    55

Has the base guide been updated to match the repack bases? For example aren't Archai on 50mm rounds and Nagash on a big round? The guide shows both on ovals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strammefar    4

Also, I don't know if it's a new thing, but the description of each product (/unit) on Games-workshop.com now says what size the base is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strammefar    4

Also, I don't know if it's a new thing, but the description of each product (/unit) on Games-workshop.com now says what size the base is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tizianolol    42

I'm just curious, a model with a oval base 90x52 mm like gore gruntas,  what dimensions got with a square base?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yankee    0

I didn't see the Gutbuster Butcher With Cauldron listed with a size. It's blank. Here to report that it fits nicely onto a 105x70mm oval. However, if you're going to convert(glue it on top) the old rectangle it came on you might want to consider stepping up one size as the square corners will overhang the 105x70 a tad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidings    336

Trying to find out what size base a Frostheart Phoenix should be on, anyone know? There isn't an official round base and it's a bit smaller than a dragon. Hoping something like an 80mm round is the right size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chord    382

I see chaos warhounds are recommended to use 60x35mm.  Has anyone tried them on round instead? I think round may look better for them.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
awcamawn    106
7 hours ago, Tidings said:

Trying to find out what size base a Frostheart Phoenix should be on, anyone know? There isn't an official round base and it's a bit smaller than a dragon. Hoping something like an 80mm round is the right size. 

There's a couple pictures of Phoenixes in the Grand Alliance Order book, and on the back cover it even has a Frostheart Phoenix right beside an Archmage on Dragon. They definitely use oval bases in those pictures and it does look to be the same size base they used for the dragon (I think 70x105mm?), but it's a little hard to determine the base sizes of the different models exactly because someone at GW sure loves to use their fog machine.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidings    336
2 hours ago, chord said:

I see chaos warhounds are recommended to use 60x35mm.  Has anyone tried them on round instead? I think round may look better for them.  Thoughts?

One of my buds who works at my LHS has all his mounted on rounds, I actually thought that was what's standard. Believe they were 40s? They look pretty nice. 

5 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

There's a couple pictures of Phoenixes in the Grand Alliance Order book, and on the back cover it even has a Frostheart Phoenix right beside an Archmage on Dragon. They definitely use oval bases in those pictures and it does look to be the same size base they used for the dragon (I think 70x105mm?), but it's a little hard to determine the base sizes of the different models exactly because someone at GW sure loves to use their fog machine.

 

Awesome! I don't have that book, and I've only seen pics of them on square style bases. Thanks for taking a look! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not generally one of those people that likes to moan about the commercial side of what GW do but it really hacks me off that more than 2 years into AoS they still supply models for use in that game with bases intended for use in a game they discontinued. I understand that it would not be practical for them to physically repack everything with round bases but throwing them in in a separate pack would be easy.

Its annoying to add £3 to the cost of every kit - particularly when you know that these things must cost them a tiny fraction of a penny each in the volumes they are are having made.

It would be a really positive gesture if they would just provide the appropriate base when you order from the webstore.

On the + side thanks to all in TGA for making this resource - its really helpful! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hanskrampf    0

Is this still being updated? I used it in the past, but it seems like OP just stopped updating sometime?

 

Anyway, Wight King is now sold with 32mm base in the Allies box, guess Wight King with Black Axe should also switch to 32mm

Necromancer is also now sold with 32mm base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I brought Destruction up to date with General's Handbook 2017 recently, haven't touched the other Grand Alliances though.

Edit: not sure how many people have access to edit the doc but I'd be happy to make changes for the other GAs if people post some here :)

Edited by The Stronghold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×