Pitched Battle, Take and Hold; Stormcast Eternals versus Daemons of Nurgle

Tenebris

I think it would be good to introduce myself with a battle report. 

The last game I have played was a pick up battle with my friend and we have decided to have a quick game and thus 800 points. I have brought Stromcast Eternals, he showed with Daemons of Nurgle. 

The lists:

Stormcast Eternals:

- Lord-Celestant

- 5x Retributors

- 5x Judicators

- 5x Liberators with Shield/Hammer

- 5x Liberators with Shield/Hammer

- 3x Prosecutors with Hammers

Daemons of Nurgle:

- Great Unclean One

- 10x Plaguebearers

- 10x Plaguebearers

- 3x Beasts of Nurgle

- Skull Cannon of Khorne

800 points. Scenario Take and Hold from General's Handbook. 

The game was a short but very exciting one. He started and immediately moved forward all his units. Before that the GUO nicked one of my Liberators with his spell. The Skull Cannon killed two of my Prosecutors. His Beasts charged and were in melee with my Liberators, killing one. I supported them with my Lord Celestant wounding one beastie. 

Reeling from the attack my Judicators placed two wounds on the GUO, my Lord did use his Hammer Cloak to place three wounds on the GUO and the remaining Liberators squad charged the GUO. My Prosecutor Prime nicked the Skull Cannon dealing two wounds and one more in melee. 

I rolled and won the second turn. My Retributors waded into combat but were too far to charge the GUO so they went after the Plaguebearers. My Judicators placed one wound on the GUO and my Lord Celestant used his hero ability. The turn was a good melee turn for me since I was able to kill three Plaguebearers, kill one Beat, wound severely the GUO (3 wounds) and wound the Skull Cannon by one wound. 

In his turn the adversary was fierce. The GUO is a veritable tank and his invulnerability aura was messing with my plan. He killed my Liberators, the beasts Killed both my Lord-Celestant and the remaining Liberators. My Retributors killed his GUO in the end. The Skull Cannon fired but the shot bounced from my Prosecutor, which died later in melee. Also he moved his remaining Plaguebearers forward (but rolled badly on the movement). 

The third turn went to him but it was clear that he made a grave mistake moving so forward all his units and leaving his objective unattended. He decided to roll if the Skull Cannon would kill one of my Judicators which were healthy and alive on my objective, all five of them. He failed and had to concede. 

Major Victory for the Stormcast Eternals.

Commentary:

This past year of AoS I have grown to trust three units above all, my Retributors, my Liberators and my Judicators. These units do their job and do it well and this won me the game. The Liberators need a Hero to support them but they are great to stop the enemy units (even if this often means that they die of a horrible death). Their bonuses against multi-wound units as well as the reroll from the shield result in a solid blocking unit, the anvil to the proverbial Retributors/Judicators hammer.

The Retributors did what they always do, they pounded the big meanie into dust. The mortal wounds effect is priceless on this unit and I much more favor them over the more specialized Protectors. The Judicators on the other hand did little in this game but placing those wounds on the GUO helped a lot. Sure they won me the game by staying in terrain and at the extreme limit of their bows, a cowardly tactic, but here it payed dividends. 

Of the Prosecutors on the other hand I cannot say much. They are a flanking unit and I set them against the Skull Cannon which was the most dire threat to me. I did not expect them to do much, but I reckon if even one more would make it past the first turn of Daemon shooting, the cannon would be dead. The Prosecutor Prime did account for himself but it was more of a pressure thing than direct damage that worked in my favor. 

The Lord-Celestant, well he fought he died. I like him for his combo with my melee units, but as a Hero he is not that much of a killer. I think that his main contribution was from the cloak shooting and his hero ability, whilst in melee he did not do much. A combo hero but not a killer hero.

On the account of my adversary he did rush too fast too soon I reckon. He could easily win this fight with attrition and he almost wiped me from the table. Granted the Daemons of Nurgle are fierce in combat, but what truly makes them dire is their toughness. They really take an age to kill and can hold their own. The GUO was my topmost concern since he comes with such a good toolkit and set of abilities that he is quite the force multiplier, yet once he died, the daemons begun to feel the pounding.

All in all an enjoyable and fast game. Mistake of my opponent aside, I have learned much and I would never ever underestimate the Beasts of Nurgle again, they literally broke me in twine and only the victory conditions saved me (and luck,...).

I hope you enjoyed the Battle Report. Next time it will be with pics. 

Feel free to comment and advise, I am hear to learn after all. 

• 3 months later...

Archived