Transporting your army : Ironjawz Edition

Garxia

Just a slight variation on the magnet theme...  My local hobby shop is overrun by historical mini guys who use flexible magnetic sheets on the bottom of the tray or storage box and metal washers in the bases of the minis.

Flexible magnetic sheets on amazon.

The benefit is that by spreading the magnetic contact over more surface area, the minis will not slide horizontally while being easier to remove from the tray vertically than if you use rare earth magnets. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reviving this thread to ask a similar question.

I have been using a Really Useful Box from IKEA to transport my Ironjawz around, with plastic bags on top to restrict movement since its not magnetized. However, my collection of Ironjawz is growing and I need a new transportation case. I am contemplating getting a bigger RUB and going the magnetized route, but I am also considering grabbing a Sabol Army Transport Case around Black Friday. I've never had qualms with foam, and it would be easier when I have to travel and play

How is everyone transporting their Ironjawz these days?

Magnetising a Really Useful Box is 100% the way to go nowadays. Quite painful when I think of the money spent on Battlefoam and the like over the years (I have a 720 for sale if anyone is interested :P).

You can get opaque black ones if you are going on public transport or anything and don't want people to see your toys!!

P.S

I managed to find the perfect gym-bag in Sports Direct (an Everlast one I think..) that  fits my fairly sizeable RUB in - ended up using some excess foam to pad it out too (saves me from myself whenever I plonk the thing down and remember it's full of delicate, precious plastic.

50 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Magnetising a Really Useful Box is 100% the way to go nowadays. Quite painful when I think of the money spent on Battlefoam and the like over the years (I have a 720 for sale if anyone is interested :P).

You can get opaque black ones if you are going on public transport or anything and don't want people to see your toys!!

What box do you use? I was looking at a 64L since it looks to be the biggest and tallest to store one (or two) mawkrushas

I backed the A+Case on Kickstarter which I used to transport the majority of my army to Blackout.  It was only a handful of tall units I couldn't get in there that ended up on a baking sheet in a KR case.

Will probably look at RUB at some point in the future but likely attach (using a crinkle cut nail) a carry handle onto the top :D  I did see somebody has started selling MDF inserts for RUB which allows you to stack more models into one box...

3 hours ago, Fungrim said:

P.S

I managed to find the perfect gym-bag in Sports Direct (an Everlast one I think..) that  fits my fairly sizeable RUB in - ended up using some excess foam to pad it out too (saves me from myself whenever I plonk the thing down and remember it's full of delicate, precious plastic.

Any chance you have a link for the bag? I'm looking to get one for an 18L RUB atm. 

9 minutes ago, SuperKick said:

Any chance you have a link for the bag? I'm looking to get one for an 18L RUB atm. 

I *think* it's this one - http://www.sportsdirect.com/everlast-holdall-700273?colcode=70027390&src=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqd7agqix1gIVh7_tCh37SQJ_EAQYASABEgKANfD_BwE

Slightly different colour though so hard to tell. I just went into a Sports Direct armed with the dimensions on a bit of paper, and went rummaging through their bags.

Check the RUB dimensions before buying, the bag has its dimensions on that link

28 minutes ago, SuperKick said:

Thanks! @Fungrim

No problem! Happy hunting.

25 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Seems like everyone loves a good RUB! O.o

Who doesn't?! I'm still pretty sure your podcast is called Taking Back Sunday, but there you go. The power of the acronym....

I using this case and trays last 6 month and all was good.
https://goodork.ru/pictures/product/big/29349_big.jpg
https://goodork.ru/pictures/product/big/29301_big.jpg

In case now:
1 Maw-krusha
2 Megaboss
3 Chanter 2x
4 Shaman 
5 Brutes 15x
6 Adrboys 20x
7 Gore-gruntas 9x

Trays:
305*394*100mm 
305*394*50mm 
305*394*30mm 

Can upload photo and give links for pages with cases later (dont know will it be right to publish a link to page to russian site here, so i give link to photos)

Check this out lads, this is what I've started to use, having got in on the early release program for it:

https://www.facebook.com/CrystalFortressDisplays/

They look great and are meant to be magnetized, and double as a display system on top of a carrying cases system. When you are done playing, just sit them up on a shelf and you have a great model display - ready to go for your next game at a moments notice!

For a smaller model army like Ironjawz the system would work great, and cases can be constructed that would allow for our largest models, like the Maw.

here's an example:

crystalFortressExample.jpg

Hey guys! I'm currently painting the first few units of my Ironjawz, however I've been an absolute rebel and turned the bases upside down, the plan being to fill them with  water effect to make them look all swampy.

So I have no Convenient Cavity™ in which to hide magnets :(

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

IMG_20170919_182407.jpg

2 hours ago, Banglesprout said:

I can only think that you would have to drill into the underside of the bases and superglue some magnets in there. Or you can get some thin sheet magnet and cut them to the diameter of your bases and then they would attach to a metal surface. The sheet magnet dont seem to be as strong as other magnet types, though, so it would likely only work on infantry-sized plastic minis, and not the bigger and heavier ones.

13 hours ago, Banglesprout said:

Hey guys! I'm currently painting the first few units of my Ironjawz, however I've been an absolute rebel and turned the bases upside down, the plan being to fill them with  water effect to make them look all swampy.

IMG_20170919_182407.jpg

I'd be tempted to pick up some different bases.  You could get some "Hollow Blank Bases" (Wayland).  Or some of the round edged ones (Element)  (these bases aren't specific to those companies - just were quick for me to link ;)).

Failing that as @GrimTeef says, you'll need to drill a hole and flush fit the magnets from the bottom.

Thank for your suggestions @GrimTeef, @RuneBrush, @Chris Tomlin

I was hoping I could avoid some rebasing work but sounds like taking the lads off their bases and drilling holes to fit the magnets might be the best bet.

Any advice on what magnets to go for? I had a look here http://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/magnets

GW bases look roughly 1.5mm thick to me so I'm thinking the 1mm thick magnets will be best (I'd rather too thin, with a gap to fill, than too thick). Is one 3mm magnet enough, or do you guys tend to use a few, or one larger one?

Thanks for the help! Oh and yes @Chris Tomlin an article on this stuff would be great :D

Archived