6" pile in query

Andy_paints

Question

Morning all,

Relatively new to AoS, played a few games but I've just started going through the FAQs and various warscrolls as I plan my expansion. However, when going through the FAQs I noticed something that I need explaining!

Some abilities offer you a 6" pile in, but you need to end up closer to the nearest model and can only pile in if within 3" anyway. I'm trying to figure out what advantage the 6" pile in move gives you with those restrictions.

Sorry if this is totally obvious, just trying to get my head around various rule quirks!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

7 answers to this question

Tree Revenants? Here's your answer mate. 

So you have to be within 3" to be able to pile in, but you can pile in up to 6" as long as you move each model toward the closest enemy model. 

This is useful on Tree Revenants as if they're charged on the end of the unit by a hero, usually that hero would feel pretty safe because you're guys are spread out in a line. Meaning max attacks from the hero, but due to pile in restrictions, minimum attacks from the Revenants. However having a 6" pile from the banner means you can easily wrap around and bring more attacks to bear. You might even catch them slipping as your opponent may think his or her Hero is safe as only a few models will be able to attack after piling in the usual 3"

pile-in.png

Another thing to consider is that the two requirements to be able to pile in in combat are Either/Or

> Any unit that has charged or has models within 3" of an enemy unit can attack with its melee weapons in the combat phase.

And

> Step 1: When you pile in, you may move each model in the unit up to 3" towards the closest enemy model. This will allow the models in the unit to get closer to the enemy in order to attack them. 

The 3" in this case you replace with 6"

So in a situation where you multi-charge a unit which is bunkering a hero. Take a line of Halberdiers with a Battlemage 6" behind them with a unit of Kurnoth Hunters and a unit of Tree Revenants. If the Kurnoth's go first and wipe out the Halberdiers, your Revenants will then be able to pile into the Battlemage. 

Because although you don't meet the second requirement of being within 3" of an enemy model, you do meet the first requirement of having charged that turn! 

20 hours ago, Nico said:

It helps the laggards make it into combat if you only just make a charge roll. More valuable for a large unit.

This is the main bonus I think- Imagine you charge a monster on a large base:

You'll still need to get within half an inch to successfully complete the charge, but afterwards, as long as you end up in contact (and are therefore closer to the model than before), it allows you to move round to the other side of the base, freeing up space at the front for another unit to pile in at the front.

It's more useful when you have multiple units charging the same target.

16 hours ago, RossMHoward said:

> Step 1: When you pile in, you may move each model in the unit up to 3" towards the closest enemy model. This will allow the models in the unit to get closer to the enemy in order to attack them. 

The 3" in this case you replace with 6"

Yep. But this still means the model has to be within 3" to pile in in the first place, I think (?)

I remember when I started playing AoS, When the rules were still new to everyone, people I knew played this rule (on the high elf griffin lord) in a way that meant he could pile in 6" after a charge, in any direction. This gave him great utility because he could leap over units to engage more protected targets.

Now that people are more familiar with the basic rules this is obviously not the case, but nevertheless I quite liked that mechanic and I wish models with a funky pile-in ability did work in that way. It made the ability less situational and a fun way to catch people out. 

He still can.

To pile-in, you have to have either charged, or be within 3" of an enemy unit when your unit activates. Normally these will be the same thing, but it allows breathing room if your opponent removes casualties earlier in the phase to try and stop you.

When a unit that has a 6" pile-in move piles in, it still has to meet those conditions to be eligible to move. It doesn't affect the 3" range/charge criteria.

When you pile-in, you still have to move toward the closest enemy model. You can't pick another preferential target within 6".

What the 6" pile-in does do is give you more options.

Take tree revenants, for example.

They have an ability where they can be set up during their movement phase >=9" from an enemy model.

If they successfully charge (say on a 9), depending on how the enemy unit is arranged then a normal pile-in may only get you a handful of models into contact. A 6" pile-in means they can actually swamp the enemy unit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Archived