Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2018 at 11:38 AM, Jupiter said:

It's indeed sad that the majority of the populations (free people) is not represented well.  I would love to mixed human, elven and dwarven armies with distinct cultures.

That's what the great cities are for :) I wonder if their rules will survive to 2.0....

No massive surprises for Free Peoples in 2.0

Greatswords drop to 140/360

Demis down to 140

Freeguild Regiment to 210

Amongst our allies, battlemage up to 120! Steam tank down to 260, and cannon down to 160 I think.

There has been a change to battlemage on griffon, though not sure whether this is up or down.

Block of 30 greatswords could definitely be interesting now. Otherwise, little disappointed with the Ironweld, particularly when the new Celestar ballista coats only 100 points!

Pretty dissapointing to see no outrider and pistolier love. 

The allegiance abilities also took a bit of a beating. Everything is fully within 12" now. In particular for the great company, both units must be wholly within 12" of each other.  

I don't play the mega company, but seems like that'd be a pretty hard thing to do for 3 units. 

Which is a shame, because basically we were already behind the curve and it seems we're slipping further behind. Fairly minor points drops on stuff nobody was taking before isn't going to change that. 

This is very disappointing, I guess GW wants everyone to play Stormcast..

This is has taken a lot of the wind out of the sails for me, was really hoping for a lot more, maybe the potential battletome will fix things..

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

The allegiance abilities also took a bit of a beating. Everything is fully within 12" now. In particular for the great company, both units must be wholly within 12" of each other.  

I don't play the mega company, but seems like that'd be a pretty hard thing to do for 3 units. 

As in...both companion units must be wholly within 12 of the parent or all three units must be within 12 of each other?

So if I'm getting it right the criteria for supporting units are:

* Unit being supported is within 3" of an enemy

* Unit supporting is NOT within 3" of an enemy

* Units are within 6" of each other

* Units are WHOLLY within 12" of each other

That doesn't really sound that bad, since you're supporting with charges or short ranged shooting attacks you'd generally want your units to stay relatively close to each other anyways.  The only thing this seems to stop is triggering 2 blocks of gunmen with a single unit of statetroops daisy chained across the board.

On a different note is Indomitable still a thing? Or did that go the way of the Tomb Kings?

2 hours ago, Malfunct Bot said:

On a different note is Indomitable still a thing? Or did that go the way of the Tomb Kings?

Indomitable is still in. It was changed from affecting units within 6" to affecting units wholly within 12" though, so it's a bit harder to get the effect onto a huge unit, but it's easier to get it on a small one.

Phew, that's a relief. All these changes seem overall for the best, eliminating army wide daisy chains while still maintaining solid general use. 

And with the changes to Command Abilities you can always make a Griffen General your General if you want to use the bigger base.

4 hours ago, Lardidar said:

As in...both companion units must be wholly within 12 of the parent or all three units must be within 12 of each other?

The unit that supports must be wholly within the unit it is supporting, at least that's how I understood it. So supporting a 40-man guard unit should still be easy to do.

1 hour ago, Chickenbits said:

So..... do we have the points yet? It seems like literally every factions has their points leaked. I mean I just saw GROTS

As I posted above, only two units changed. 140/360 for Greatswords, and 140 for Demigryphs. Regiment has inexpicably gone up to 210.

I'm disappointed with the change to WHOLLY within 12" for Great Company units supporting each other. After reading the rule, I think its certainly both units that must be wholly within each other for support to occur.

Going to make it very difficult to run max size units, particularly our human shield guardsmen if we're to get our shots off. Could be that 2 Great Companies is the way forward in 2nd edition. 

Wholly within for Indomitable is less of a concern, particularly with griffon general as @Malfunct Bot mentioned earlier.

36 minutes ago, Helmut said:

As I posted above, only two units changed. 140/360 for Greatswords, and 140 for Demigryphs. Regiment has inexpicably gone up to 210.

I'm disappointed with the change to WHOLLY within 12" for Great Company units supporting each other. After reading the rule, I think its certainly both units that must be wholly within each other for support to occur.

Going to make it very difficult to run max size units, particularly our human shield guardsmen if we're to get our shots off. Could be that 2 Great Companies is the way forward in 2nd edition. 

Wholly within for Indomitable is less of a concern, particularly with griffon general as @Malfunct Bot mentioned earlier.

Wow, that's incredibly dissapointing if true. I was looking forward to possible play with Regiment in 2.0, but if it actually went UP in points then it's complete garbage now. 

Christ, I would REALLY like to know the justification for raising the points on that one. 

9 hours ago, Chickenbits said:

Wow, that's incredibly dissapointing if true. I was looking forward to possible play with Regiment in 2.0, but if it actually went UP in points then it's complete garbage now. 

Christ, I would REALLY like to know the justification for raising the points on that one. 

Not sure whether we're allowed to post the pics here, but it's true I'm afraid. 

Such a restrictive battalion, I would have loved some more battalion options to reward more themed armies. Imagine having battalions focused around cavalry/gunline/even allied artillery or magic. So much better than "take one of everything" in small numbers.

It's annoying that if you want a Steam Tank, F. you, ally it in.

Say you want a wizard, F. you, ally it, and F. you again, b/c it costs more now.  Buy Stormcast, chump!*

Heaven forbid if you want a Luminark or Hurricanum, even though they ring their citadels with them.

Say you want a Warrior Priest or Wizard, F. you, ally it in.

Why is Empire chunked off into such tiny bits still?  All the Aelves hated it, do they think we enjoy spamming 30-40 units of pajama-men, standing in place??

*say . . . how many points for the new Stormcast Wizards?  100?  110??  120???

Haha, funny to mention the aelves like they got any special treatment for it when the fracturing happened at the exact same time.

Likely some grand battletome in the far future will things more platable as new units are mixed in and the sub-factions are giving better compatability ala the Nagash tome.

Right now  though the divisions just help from any over powered allied  builds like Stormcasts getting full access to a Empire or Elf army for just one battleline and vice versa.

Until then at least they boosted things a bit for them so they can stand on their own and it does allow nice things like the Duardin able to finally use steamtanks which is awesome.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Graftonianman said:

“Wholly within 12”. So two conga lines 2 feet long could meet this?

ie.

unit1.....................................................

^3inchesv

unit2.......................................................

Do I have the logic of this right?

Yep. Just be careful of an enemy shooting up those lines and ruining your strategy.  Or worse a spell that seperates them further.:D

On 6/19/2018 at 10:58 PM, Graftonianman said:

“Wholly within 12”. So two conga lines 2 feet long could meet this?

ie.

unit1.....................................................

^3inchesv

unit2.......................................................

Do I have the logic of this right?

I was wondering about this, when 2 units need to be wholly within 12" of each other, does that mean that each model of a unit must be wholly within 12" of each model from the other unit and vice versa? Therefore meaning that the quoted scenario above wouldn't count?

Does this mean great companies will just become a bunch of models jammed into a 12" circle to work properly? (Personally hoping the above quote is correct and I can just create 2/3 lines of troops).

So after a little whatsapp chat I am thinking this for an event in July

Griffon - General with indom (+1 save when not charging) 

Griffon (2nd beast)

General with banner (hold the line)

Luminark (lasers and a wizard)

Knight incantor (dispel scroll and a wizard)

30 swords

30 xbows

10 Greatswords (above in a company near the banner and luminark)

10 Outriders (try to flank the enemy and usr griffons trait for +1 to hit and stay nearby to get the save bonus)

1940 if I did my math right, so an extra command point and maybe a triumph

Thoughts?

Morning all,

Thanks for all the great contributions made here over the last couple of years. It's been a good thread, supporting one of the non battletome factions, but the time has now come for this to be locked as we move into the new edition. To continue the Free Peoples discussion, please head over here....

http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18314-aos-2-free-peoples-discussion/

Chris

Archived